Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification please?

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Clarification please?

Since Bush was called the "Chimp" all these years, among other less flattering things, will we have the same leniancy for the Chosen One? Will we be allowed the same extreme latitude on insulting the former President with the new guy or will no criticism be allowed without being branded "racist"? I guess we will find out?

I have this strange feeling that there will be a double standard. Call me a skeptic. Here's the test....

The new Chimp has named Rohm Emanual as his Chief of Staff. Is this a sign of things to come in the Chimp's administration?
    RIP Tosa

Default Re: Clarification please?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Since Bush was called the "Chimp" all these years, among other less flattering things, will we have the same leniancy for the Chosen One? Will we be allowed the same extreme latitude on insulting the former President with the new guy or will no criticism be allowed without being branded "racist"? I guess we will find out?

I have this strange feeling that there will be a double standard. Call me a skeptic. Here's the test....

The new Chimp has named Rohm Emanual as his Chief of Staff. Is this a sign of things to come in the Chimp's administration?
    When Obama is as demonstrably unintelligent as Bush, treating him the same will be seen as appropriate.

If Obama ever says "it [the constitution] is just a g-d piece of paper", have a field day.

Till then ... yup, don't see what appropriate reason you could have for saying that.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Why is it that the only time I ever read or hear President Bush referred to as "chimp" is when a rightwing person wants to say something about Obama?

DevDave, if you want to find an insult that actually gets used on President Bush, try "Shrub." That's one that you will actually come across.

But why do you feel you need cover to refer to our first black President as a monkey? Surely you can do that without needing any excuse or protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    When Obama is as demonstrably unintelligent as Bush, treating him the same will be seen as appropriate.

If Obama ever says "it [the constitution] is just a g-d piece of paper", have a field day.

Till then ... yup, don't see what appropriate reason you could have for saying that.
    Why? Mr Obama looks very much like a Chimp as the current Chimp. Why is it wrong to call one leader a chimp and not another? Have you heard the guy speak without his teleprompter? Why must I refrain from criticising Obama out of your personal sensibilities? Did you provide the same luxery for me and the people I support?
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Why is it that the only time I ever read or hear President Bush referred to as "chimp" is when a rightwing person wants to say something about Obama?

DevDave, if you want to find an insult that actually gets used on President Bush, try "Shrub." That's one that you will actually come across.

But why do you feel you need cover to refer to our first black President as a monkey? Surely you can do that without needing any excuse or protection.
    Again the double standard....
    Thanks for proving my point.
    RIP Tosa

Why? Mr Obama looks very much like a Chimp as the current Chimp. Why is it wrong to call one leader a chimp and not another? Have you heard the guy speak without his teleprompter? Why must I refrain from criticising Obama out of your personal sensibilities? Did you provide the same luxery for me and the people I support?
    You know why, you're just being sarcastic and obtuse. Drawing comparisons between African Americans and monkeys has a very specific, biologically racist history in America.

And comparing Bush to Obama in speaking.... dear god. Seriously, get a better tack than that if you're going to troll.
    Koga no Goshi

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Again the double standard....
    Thanks for proving my point.
    You don't actually read anything I write, I take it, just hit some sort of macro on your keyboard that generates a standardized troll response?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Thank you
    RIP Tosa

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i dont see why we cant call him "chimp." its a free country. we can call him whatever we want. but whether it is right to call him that, even though he doesnt really look like one, is the question.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Americans who go around calling black men "chimps" mean a certain thing by it. And that's understood.

Several people around here would call me wildly partisan, and yet I don't refer to Bush as 'the chimp.' If you have some issue with his speaking skills or specific policies that's fine.... but I believe this specific faux outrage over "double standard" is a thinly veiled racebait troll.
    Koga no Goshi

Well he's already got the big ears down. Bush had the chimp-like upper lip but the haters still had to Photoshop his ears to make them appear more chimp-like.

Personally I prefer having Obama referred to as Barack Hussein Marx... for the Muslim Commie double whammy. Is it fair? Nope. But all's fair in love & war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur

You have got to be f'ing kidding me! Were you on a mental sabbatical when Bush hating was all the rage? Was your evil twin/alternate universe double posting for you all those years? Over the last 8 years I've lost track of the number of caricatures and photoshopped pics of Bush depicted as a chimpanzee that have hit the net. Political cartoons, photoshopped pics, insulting references in forum posts. I can even recall there was some angry young Orgah from Germany who had a photoshopped 'monkey Bush' in his sig. You need to be more careful when applying a double standard...

But don't take my word for it... Google it!

Bush Monkey = Results 1 - 10 of about 950,000 for bush monkey. (0.11 seconds)
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bush+chimpanzee

Bush Monkey Pics = Results 1 - 20 of about 579,000 for bush monkey. (0.04 seconds)

Bush Chimpanzee = Results 1 - 10 of about 589,000 for bush chimpanzee. (0.11 seconds)
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bush+chimpanzee

Bush Chimpanzee Pics = Results 1 - 20 of about 93,800 for bush chimpanzee. (0.05 seconds)
    Last edited by Spino; 11-06-2008 at 00:19.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

We are talking about someone who answered a question about what sovereignty means in the 21st century by defining the word sovereignty, Spino.

I mean, c'mon. Let's not pretend implications on Bush's quickness of wit were merely irrational, emotional hate.
    Koga no Goshi

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Why would you even consider calling your new president a chimp ? Just because it happened to the most unpopular president in your history, or just because you can ?

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy View Post
    Why would you even consider calling your new president a chimp ? Just because it happened to the most unpopular president in your history, or just because you can ?

I thnk it could be a cool tradition. Think about it, the acronym CInC (Comander in Chief) will now mean Chimp in Chief. What fun....

So, shall we be expected to not only be allowed to say "Chimp", but will we not be allowed to treat the new Chim in Chief with the same utmost respect many on the left here have treated the currented. Man, I was depressed earlier, now my nipples are erect with anticipation to act with such disrespect to the office as many of you guys. I never realised how being so disrespectful to authority can be. Down with the system!!!
    RIP Tosa

I thnk it could be a cool tradition. Think about it, the acronym CInC (Comander in Chief) will now mean Chimp in Chief. What fun....

So, shall we be expected to not only be allowed to say "Chimp", but will we not be allowed to treat the new Chim in Chief with the same utmost respect many on the left here have treated the currented. Man, I was depressed earlier, now my nipples are erect with anticipation to act with such disrespect to the office as many of you guys. I never realised how being so disrespectful to authority can be. Down with the system!!!
    You have a bitter, venomous, revised view of history. Yeah, no Dems were part of the what, 95% support ratings Bush had on 9/11, and similarly hugely high numbers for months afterwards... until he abused the trust and support to start wars and give the middle finger to the rest of the world. That's when we "irrational, unpleasable, emotionally unstable, vitriolically driven ideological lefties" bowed out of supporting Bush.

So.... get off the faux outrage horse. There is no parallel between how we reacted to Bush and your bitterness over Obama before the man has even taken office.
    Koga no Goshi

So.... get off the faux outrage horse. There is no parallel between how we reacted to Bush and your bitterness over Obama before the man has even taken office.
    The democrats liked bush the day after the election in 2000?

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I think the honeymoon was over right after the "hanging chads party" in Florida.

The new Chimp...
    And that's Mr. President Chimp, SIR, to you Dave, show some respect for pete's sake.
    Last edited by Hosakawa Tito; 11-06-2008 at 00:37. Reason: just because
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

I never want to be that much of a politically sunk kind of adult when I hit my maturity times.

God bless me from semi-insanity when I'll be looking for excuses to insult a politican I don't like. Oh Lord, please save my criticism skills.

Amin.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

For better or worse, mocking a black person by suggesting he looks like a monkey will inevitably lead many to think that the author has racist intentions because of historical reasons. No matter how much you insist that it was really about his ears.

Any good cartoonist will always wonder how people will interpet it before submitting a drawing.

Compare the "lipstick on a pig" comment.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Just calling him a chimp isn't that big of a deal to me, but unless the guy turns out to be a real moron of a president it's not really gonna hold any water. You'll just get a lot of attention from self-righteous anti-racists who get off on pointing out 'biologically racist history in America.'

Seems kind of like a pointless fight to me, but not really a big deal.

No, but if people are going to throw around accusations of irrational Bush-bashing based on nothing and assign it to Dems... in the very same thread that they are asking if it's okay to call Obama a chimp the day after he is elected, the irony is a little thick.
    Koga no Goshi

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    Just calling him a chimp isn't that big of a deal to me, but unless the guy turns out to be a real moron of a president it's not really gonna hold any water. You'll just get a lot of attention from self-righteous anti-racists who get off on pointing out 'biologically racist history in America.'

Seems kind of like a pointless fight to me, but not really a big deal.
    Right, it's not a big deal to you, so leave it to us "self-righteous anti-racists."
    Last edited by Koga No Goshi; 11-06-2008 at 00:52.
    Koga no Goshi

No, but if people are going to throw around accusations of irrational Bush-bashing based on nothing and assign it to Dems... in the very same thread that they are asking if it's okay to call Obama a chimp the day after he is elected, the irony is a little thick.
    When the shoes on the other foot, I guess its not too comfortable huh? Please, allow me to enjoy your Chimp's victory.
    RIP Tosa

When the shoes on the other foot, I guess its not too comfortable huh? Please, allow me to enjoy your Chimp's victory.
    On the contrary. It is you who will now feel what it's like to be disenfranchised by your own government in terms of political alignment. But, unlike you, my party is not vindictive and exclusive, and your party will not be forced into sub-basements to hold committee meetings, or threatened with the nuclear option.

So, welcome to 2000-2008 for Democrats, LITE MODE, "Conservative."
    Koga no Goshi

On the contrary. It is you who will now feel what it's like to be disenfranchised by your own government in terms of political alignment. But, unlike you, my party is not vindictive and exclusive, and your party will not be forced into sub-basements to hold committee meetings, or threatened with the nuclear option.

So, welcome to 2000-2008 for Democrats, LITE MODE, "Conservative."
    But I'm having fun with my "disenfranchisement" and you're just being bitter. You're not clinging to a gun or religion right now, are you?
    RIP Tosa

But I'm having fun with my "disenfranchisement" and you're just being bitter. You're not clinging to a gun or religion right now, are you?
    Nope, again, this would be you. I'm quite calm.
    Koga no Goshi

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Mods:

Please terminate this thread with as much prejudice as you feel warranted. This is NOT adding to the general quality of BR discussion.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You all disgust me.

Am I happy with the election result? No. Do I see hypocrisies present in both sides? All the time. Do I bring them up? Sometimes, but not last night and not now.

I had hoped that after this election, being without the disputes that marred that of 2000 and to a lesser extent 2004, we'd be able to band together and support our President-elect, soon to be President, and hope that he'd do a fine job in leading the country. Instead, I check the Backroom today and I find 3 or 4 threads of the same old trollish as if nothing has changed.

Come on, conservatives, we're better than this. The country means more than winning an argument or feeling better.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: Clarification please?

When Obama starts doing stupid things as President I'll call it as I see it, though I'll probably stick to calling him foolish or stupid when he slips up. If you want to call him an ape, chimp, monkey, or whatever feel free. The fact is that you'll probably need to clarify your viewpoint so as to demonstrate that you merely hate the man and don't mean it in a racist context. If you don't feel like clarifying each time that you use it will be your own fault if people then think you a racist. I have enough friends that refused to vote for "a nigger" in my confidence though they would not say so in public and would likely think you as a member of their group. I recall the Clintons being called all sorts of things, I don't think Obama will be much different, though probably not Chimp.

It will be fun to see how the rabid anti-americans will make Obama=Hitler signs, never seen those with a black man yet. I'm also look forward to seeing the "truthers" and "worldcantwait" groups demonstrate against Obama and point him as part of the evil American scheme to oppress the world.

EDIT: @ GeneralHankerchief: Some of my conservative buddies on facebook are removing all obama supporters from their 'friends' list. Nothing like pouting, eh?
    Last edited by spmetla; 11-06-2008 at 01:15.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast