Thread: A move to Empire?

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

Default A move to Empire?

With Empire: Total War on the horizon (Feb. 2009) and a new engine, with naval battles, cover, and huge possibilities, it might be simply better to transfer the mod to this game.

I understand many of you have been loyally following the mod for a LONG time, and patiently waiting. I understand that work has definitely slowed down, with the loss of Bwain and some other team members, as well as art university taking all of my personal time away.

However, as compromise for the long wait, I'd release a custom battle demo featuring The Empire, Orcs, Tomb Kings of Khemri, Dark Elves, Vampire counts, and Chaos Undivided for Medieval 2 in the close future.

This obviously isn't a decision to set in stone, but I'd rather have the mod on the best engine possible, and the possibilities of an Empire: Total War mod seem far more expansive. Indeed, many of my frustrations on this mod have simply been a dislike for the Medieval 2 engine, with it's limited combat, buggy cavalry, and other annoyances.

Of course, if the fanbase is totally opposed to this, then the mod will continue for Medieval 2.

I appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by Krazysigmarite; 11-06-2008 at 02:16.

Default Re: A move to Empire?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhha

A Demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole game for empire? Well, whatever you want, just do it.
    Revan Shan / Mayorcete / Teuton Arrasador

Miguelito Productions' views:
    The best vids in YOUTUBE!
    Miguelito Productions supports:
    SWGEmu / Warhammer Total War / MERP (Middle-Earth Role Playing for oblivion (The Elder Scrolls IV) / Shattered Lineage, for Oblivion

Well it is a good idea as long as all the current modders r up for it.
    If you rush this into a demo then you can take quite a break & you can
    have an early propaganda campaign to bring more mod's to it.

Plus they say that Empire will be more easier to modify.

There is not much of a need for sea battles for warhammer though, it's not well
    known the slightest for it.. nor is trade, but colonization is a possibility for certain
    factions such as the High Elves & Empire.

& I'm sure there r some people that h8 the idea of having a Empire where the basis
    of it's combat is gunpowder, this could be their early substitute for it in Empire.
    Last edited by Pantsalot; 11-09-2008 at 17:58.

Great news Krazy. I'd be happy to help out if there will be an Empire TW version. If you still want me in the team of course ;)

OY!! well sounds great yall, but just wondering if melee units will work ok with empire being mostly gunpowder and all :S

It wouldn't be difficult to get melee into it, there is still a lot of units
    in Empire that r purely melee for example the officers, the lancers & hussars &
    probably a lot of Africans, ottomans, Americans, Indians, etc.

What one has to remember is that Warhammer is mostly a melee combat game which has some gunpower units which are ment to support you melee units. Whereas Empire Total focuses mainly on gunpower and melee combat is used to support your gunpowder units. If you used the Empire Total War engin would you still be able to build a game with factions that don't use gunpower like the Bretonnians or the High Elves, that are effective, fun to play, and true to the warhammer universe? For example as far as I know in Empire cavalry units are light cavalry and are used for harrasing enemies units and forcing them to change formations and such. There is no heavy armoured cavalry like knights of the medieval ages which just full on charged the enemy to utterly break them and run them down. If you used the Empire engine would you still beable to create Bretonnians, or Dragon Princes, or Empire Knights?

if anyone wants my opinion (even though they dont) i think that a demo would be a good idea as long as the mod is ready
    LOVE the idea of a move to empires

If MySpace had a system failure and completely crashed, 90% of today's teens would die. 9% would laugh untill they no longer could and 1% would die from laughing. If you are part of the 1% that would die from laughing so hard, copy and paste the whole thing into your signature

The purpose of a modification is to mod the game. Just because Empire: TW focuses on gunpower doesn't mean the entire game will be that way.

A mod isn't just a re-skin of some models.

Oh, and Zapp, you are of course welcome in the team any time :)
    Last edited by Krazysigmarite; 11-09-2008 at 09:55.

I think until more is known about Empire's moddability/capabilities, it would be better to continue work on M2. However, you guys are in control of the mod, not us fans, so if you want to just get the demo out and then commit to planning for Empire I'm sure the fans won't quibble.

I do have to say naval combat could be extremely interesting with the weird and wonderful ships (and beasties) of the Old World. Cover/environmental tactics is also great, and the "duel"-style combat between officers could be pretty awesome. Imagine a Chaos Champion duking it out with an Imperial Count, or an Orc Warboss battling a Dwarf Lord...

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Hmm I'm not sure if the move is such a good idea. While i will be awesome to do sea battles with dwarf ironships fighting brettonian galleons along with the new engine and what not you shuold continue to work on the mod for medieval 2 until empire comes out.

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Since its unknown how much of the RTW engine's (M2TW runs on a beefed up RTW engine) melee code is left in the new ETW engine....I would suggest to wait and see how this turns out...
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

The thing is i think is that MTW2 is taylor made for Warhammer, the time zone the armies, the buildings, landscape etc.

Infact Warhammer was based on these periods which is why i was hoping the mod would be on MTW2, but i wouldn't whine if we had a Warhammer mod on ETW, just aslong as a mod gets completed! :)

I think a move to Empire would be for the better
    Ambassador from The RTS Gamers Union

Naked Game Fanatic Member Murfios's Avatar

What if the whole engine takes more than two years to crack? Turning it into empire is simply throwing the mod to the trash can.

Murfios the mod has failed, it would take several more years for a completion,
    Doing this is the best they can probably do & Empire looks like it would make
    a gr8er success than MIITW when it comes to modding.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I say work on the mod for M2TW while continuing to update the demo so we can help debug the combat system. If Empires turns out to be very moddable and good for transfering over... go for it! I've been waiting way to looong for this mod to just give out. At least we'll get a demo!!! You guys are doing awesome work keep it up
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Hey, i've been with this mod from the absolute start, even if I have not posted much recently, (and all regards to people keeping the mod alive in its darkest hours, not to mention months) i have keept a eye on the mod from time to time.
    This anoncement of demo-out the work and transfer the idea to empire, I think is a good one. The mod have basicly been dead for half a year, and need a good and propper kickstart.. An all new start on Empire might just do the trick. So im all for a Empire mod, If the modders are ready to start all over again.

I think all depends on what the moders can do with this.

If they feel that Empire:total war is the best engine to recreate the world of warhammer, and they're up to the challenge, well, go for it!

We, the fans, just want a great game, personally I'm really amazed with what the members of this team have accomplished, the models are great, I just can wait another minute to play the demo. So if they can facilitate us a better game switching to Empire, that's the way this mod should take.

I really hope this doesn't means hours and hours of hard work going to the trash, hopefully, all you guys have already done, will be introduced in the empire mod.

Best of lucks with the mod!

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

GET THE DREAM-TEAM BACK TOGETHER! GOGOOG ZAP!

Also, I'd love for you to do whatever you wish Krazy, seeing as you're basically the only optimistic, and somewhat active team member left alive :(
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Quote Originally Posted by Spankfurt View Post
    GET THE DREAM-TEAM BACK TOGETHER! GOGOOG ZAP!

Also, I'd love for you to do whatever you wish Krazy, seeing as you're basically the only optimistic, and somewhat active team member left alive :(
    We still have Alletun and Krazy, they are enough of a dream team for me :) But sure, it would have been awesome if quadrille joined, but I don't think that'll happen.

If anything, there will be a better melee system in ETW. I can't see why they would throw away something that already is working.
    My guess is also that most things will be rather similar, code and modding-wise between MTW2 and ETW, so a port over to ETW won't be that hard. (although tedious?)

Gunpowder units will probably work better in ETW aswell, and sea combat with Warhammer naval units would be awesome, assuming an army of trained monkeys would volunteer to make all the different ships, quite an undertaking.

By the way, do anyone know if the graphics for all units will have to be redone for a port, or can MTW2 units be ported right away? (same .format etc)

Most likely, the models will require minor tweaking and possibly re-rigging, which isn't too hard to do. Possibly it will be similar to porting RTW to M2TW, but, that's entirely speculation right now.

I'm just happy you guys are steadfast on this Mod. Been watching this Mod since the beginning and I've fallen in love with the idea.