Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB 1.2 released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EB 1.2 released

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans!

Today, we have a very special announcement for you. The release of a patch for our mod, Europa Barbarorum, for the Rome Total War engine: EB 1.2!

The mod has advanced a very long way from our first beta: EB 0.7.2, more than 2 years from now (here`s the announcement). In retrospective, we can say that we have advanced a very long way, always struggling to create a representation of the ancient world as accurate as it can be, considering the RTW engine's possibilities and limitations.

There are not many major changes in this version. Likewise, there are no new units. Work for EB 2 has already been going on for months, and also all of our modelers and skinners are focused on pumping out EB2 units. The entire team will now focus on our newer version for M2TW. Nevertheless, we will not stop supporting EB1, and there will in all likelihood be some other goodies in the near future too.

Rather, the scope of this version focuses primarily on bugfixes, among them the total redesign of the Client Ruler system. We also have a new punic voicemod, a new Epeiros intro by Stupac, and the previously released historical battles are also part of this release.

We thank our dedicated (and now almost professional!) betatesters: mcantu, Hax, Thaatu, Ice, Obelics. Their help was absolutely essential in clearing bugs with the Client Ruler system. Special thanks to I Am Here Now, who spotted an unsuspected quantity of spelling mistakes in our descriptions, most of which are now fixed.

We also want to give special thanks to Ken Eckman and Don Johnson, who helped decisively with the recording of our brand new punic voicemod . The Punic voicemod was developed by team effort between Kikosemmek and Shigawire. Shigawire provided the grammar and dictionary books, Kikosemmek did the translations and reconstructions. Abou provided the voice acting talent. Shigawire and Redmeth provided the technical implementation. Special thanks goes to Dr. Charles Krahmalkov for having written the books we used, and for some very informative emails.

We also thank to all the people that have pointed out various bugs and errors in our previous builds. Without their dedicated feedback, we wouldn't have come this far with our mod. A big thanks to you, and we wish you all a very happy play.

Download

A complete list of mirrors can be found on our website's Download section. We strongly recommend people to use BitTorrent to download EB to conserve bandwidth, but also as torrent provides better transfer speeds once a couple of people have downloaded part of it. Please consider seeding EB after downloading unless you pay per amount of traffic. Don`t be a leech!

More mirrors will be added when they are available.

Torrent (requires Bittorrent client)
    ED2K (requires eDonkey2000 client)
    Filefront
    MegaUpload

Installation

First make sure you have a clean RTW 1.5 installation on your computer where you have installed EB 1.1, with no submods. This is to make absolutely certain old files or directories won't cause problems for the EB installation. Any official fixes that you have installed does not count as submods.

You should already have a clean 1.5 RTW if you followed the installation guide for 1.1, so even if you have installed submods it should be a simple matter of installing EB 1.1 into a copy of that one. If you don't have this and need to install RTW 1.5 again, you should now make a copy of that clean 1.5 RTW so you have it available for easily making another installation in the future. Then you won't have to install RTW again, but only EB.

If you have Vista, make sure that you have the RTW installation where you add EB outside of Program Files. You may get problems either immediately, or when it's least convenient, if you still install EB under Program Files.

Double-click the EB installer file and follow the instructions on screen. Make sure that you select the RTW folder, IE the one where RomeTW.exe lies under. Also make sure that you remove the boilerplate text that comes after the folder that you choose.

Refer to the installation guide post for more specific instructions and special cases. Refer to the installation validation post if your EB doesn't work after installing.

As always, new versions of EB are not savegame compatible.

Once you have installed v1.2, install the game fixes, found here: 1.2 Fixes you should try before posting. These fixes are a must and may fix game ending bugs. Fixes are updated, so check back later if problems occur.

Changes for 1.2

1.- Client Rulers:

As you may know, the Client Ruler system had various sporadic bugs that included wrong trait assignment, killing of existing family members, clones popping up and more. Those problems couldn`t be fixed with the previous Client Ruler system, so the decision was made to construct an entirely new mechanic for the matter. Now recruitable generals can become either Allied Generals or Client Rulers, depending on whether they stay during their first turn in their city or are moved into the field after being created.

So, if we create a type 4 government, we gain the possibility of recruiting a general:

In the example, we are going to recruit a hellenistic client ruler, with a hellenistic bodyguard. There are also other bodyguards, and the type of bodyguards available depends of the culture of the settlement that`s recruiting the general.

At this point, we can take two paths:

1º) Make him a Client ruler, to govern allied settlements in your place. This is done by leaving your recruited general into the settlement. Take for example our good fellow Pefkolaos:

We can leave him into the city, so that he becomes a client ruler... subject to our will!

But beware of moving him to a non-allied settlement. As before, by taking him out and making him governor of a Type I - II or III governed city, you risk making him into an impostor.

Also as before, remember not to enter allied settlements with your family members. This is meddling with domestic affairs, which will generate negative traits on the family members that poke their noses on allied poleis. In addition, it will cause unrest, as you make clear that the allied settlement is not really independent, and that the client ruler is a mere puppet of your basileos!

2º. Make him a non-family-member General. That`s done by moving him out of the city on the first turn after being recruited. Thus, Neoptolemos will end up commanding client armies rather than governing cities.

As with client rulers, allied generals will gain negative effects if they are instated as governors in non-allied provinces.

2.- New Punic voicemod:

Our voicemod translators and actors have performed an enormous feat: to bring you the punic voicemod. An huge amount of work has been put into this feature, which combines the labour of translators, voice actors, coders etc.

Additional changes:

* Inclusion of the previously released historical battles of Ipsos, Panion, Magnesia, Raphia, River Areios
    * Addition of battle defeat theme.
    * A multitude of corrections of Sweboz unit and building names.
    * Correction of various proto Balto-Slavic names.
    * Various corrections of Romanii trait names.
    * Relocation of strategy map docks, to better correspond with historic locations of important ports.
    * Fixed spamming of Sweboz reform markers.
    * Removed duplicated medininkas mercenary archers.
    * Saka can now build blacksmith, mines and receive benefits of high level ports.
    * Nomads can now recruit diplomats from higher levels of core building.
    * Adjustments of law bonus for nomad core buildings.
    * Added many short descriptions for pontos.
    * Fixed CTD when choosing fate of a newly conquered settlement (if Lusted's theory is correct).
    * Corrected and refined unit placement.
    * Added multiplayer component.
    * Fixed a bug in the cumulative wins/losses triggers, thanks Tollheit!
    * Correction of the UI of the Lonchophoroi.
    * Correction of the Mercenary recruitment
    * Corrected Lusotannan animosity. Now they want to kick Carthaginean butts, instead of Pontic.
    * Fixed celtic reform markers.
    * Year In History text changes for 264 and 263 BC.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 02-26-2009 at 19:32.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Member Member Codyos Vladimiros's Avatar

Default Re: EB 1.2 released

Stupid question: Save-game compatible? I didn't see anything expressly stated in the post...

No. Added a line about that, thanks.

Edit: There seems to be a problem with the Bittorrent tracker. Sumotracker is down. I'll make a new torrent right away.

Edit2: Now I've added Pirate bay to the trackers. Should work now. You may need to download the torrent file again though.
    Last edited by bovi; 11-21-2008 at 18:59.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Does that mean that my allied generals can look, for example, hellenistic even if I am Roman? It would be much better than the Generic "Manius" I get for all my allies.

Unfortunately, we cannot have different portraits from the regular ones of your faction. Also we cannot choose their names, so they will get names from the faction you control. The upside of this is that the campaign map will be a lot faster and we avoid all the instability connected to the client rulers.

================
    ================

Well, good enough. The new system seems to be far better and I hope that clone problem is solved, lost more than one campaign due to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    The upside of this is that the campaign map will be a lot faster and we avoid all the instability connected to the client rulers.
    Praise the lord!!... or rather, the EB team

Unfortunately, we cannot have different portraits from the regular ones of your faction. Also we cannot choose their names, so they will get names from the faction you control.
    So there's no way that this can/will be changed in the future? It was awkward when my new Carthaginian-installed tyrant of Syracuse had the name of something like Bodashqurt.
    Otherwise, the client system seems to be pretty nice.
    Balloons collected:
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Armenia, Vanilla BI Western Roman Empire and Berbers

Great!!!! It is the injection of fun I needed from my computer!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!
    From the markets of Lilibeo to the Sacred Band in the halls of Astarte, from those halls to the Senate of Safot Softin BiKarthadast as Lilibeo representative

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB 1.2 released

I've tried to use bittorrent to download EB before, but for some reason the average download speed is 3 kb/s. Could there be anything wrong with my computer that limits torrent speed?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I've tried to use bittorrent to download EB before, but for some reason the average download speed is 3 kb/s. Could there be anything wrong with my computer that limits torrent speed?
    Right now there is only one seed. Just wait a little while... once more people have more parts of the file, the speeds should pick up

Yes, the problem is that I'm the lone seeder, with a crappy connection that dies quite often. Two more team members are going to seed soon.

================
    ================

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB 1.2 released

Sorry for being unclear. I meant to say that with previous releases I also achieved a download speed of 3 kb/s, even if I waited a day after release before trying to download it. The current version of Bittorrent also keeps saying there is a problem with the incoming connections.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I'll be the first to place it under ed2k when I download it. Anyone else to volunteer for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    The current version of Bittorrent also keeps saying there is a problem with the incoming connections.
    That doesn't have to mean much. My torrent client gives me the same message, but I still get decent speeds.

You might want to check out these tips, maybe they will help:

http://torrentfreak.com/optimize-you...ownload-speed/
    Last edited by Nobo; 11-21-2008 at 19:47.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

...i came...=0...

now i'll just quietly wait for the usual mod packs i use to come out for this version....

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Wohooo! this is great!

but one thing concernes me: if you are able to train Allied generals with the Allied state gouvernment, what use will level 5 local MICs have outside of tracia(and the other few regions with lv 5 locals)?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Last checked the forums at 16.30 on friday....DAMN IT, I could have played EB 1.2 all the night long....

but great work!!! This is a really nice X-mas present the team offers us...

Continue with your work

XSamatan

PS:like 50 guys downloading the 1.1 torrent, maybe some of them are downloading the wrong file???

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Simply an amazing job, thanks to the EB team for the outstanding dedication! Carthage will definitely be a lot more fun now, the voicemods are one of the funnest parts of EB IMO.

Thumbs up Re: EB 1.2 released

Wow, EB 1.2. Praise God! Congratulations, EB Team, on this historical achievement and milestone. May blessings be showered upon you all. Woot! Woot!

There is an isssue here.. some of the newest units that use this model:

suddenly disappear when you watch them from above. This issue exited in 1.1 and I thought it would be fixed by 1.2. What's with that?
    Last edited by Leviathan DarklyCute; 11-23-2008 at 11:08.

Hrm, missing sprites this time as well? The beta testers haven't noticed anything, but perhaps they did not use that faction. What's the name of the unit? Are you sure that you installed in the right place?
    Last edited by bovi; 11-23-2008 at 11:37.

================
    ================

Default AW: Re: EB 1.2 released

Hrm, missing sprites this time as well? The beta testers haven't noticed anything, but perhaps they did not use that faction. What's the name of the unit? Are you sure that you installed in the right place?
    Milites Ilergetum

I´ve got the same prob in 1.1.
    mostly new hispanic/gallic units and some greek eastern:

for me - this units + factions:
    Iabarannta (Karthadast)
    Rhodian slingers (Sele.)
    Gallathrakians (Pontos)
    Dunaminica (Luso)
    Last edited by Tartaros; 11-23-2008 at 15:44.

Quote Originally Posted by me, the release post
    Double-click the EB installer file and follow the instructions on screen. Make sure that you select the RTW folder, IE the one where RomeTW.exe lies under. Also make sure that you remove the boilerplate text that comes after the folder that you choose.
    So yeah, the RTW folder. The fixes for 1.1 are included, but the sprites fix was again forgotten unfortunately. Even if you've installed the sprites fix for 1.1 you need to get the 1.2 fix for the same, as it has an updated DMB fix that was not part of the 1.1 fix.
    Last edited by bovi; 11-25-2008 at 19:59.

================
    ================

Hi

I am very happy because I can play EB, that is great modification because of the EB team hard and honorable work.
    Recently I installed EB 1.2, I am playing with Romani faction the year is 199 BC and have conquered 93 settlements, unfortunatelly for some reasons after installing in the Krete island (Kydonia) the hellenic culture recruitments (like krete archers) has turned to nomadic (like nomadic slingers), the others aspects of the game seem to be ok.
    Please provide me with help in this regard.

Thank you for your efforts.

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

what is the unit in the first post? The Celtic Viking and I are tryin to figure it out lol
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    what is the unit in the first post? The Celtic Viking and I are tryin to figure it out lol
    I believe that is the new Sweboz general.

Thank you to all that made this mod possible. I have tried EB before but it was 1.1, and I had 1 gb of memory and could hardly play it. I finally upgraded to 2 gig's and 1.2 and it is playing very smooth with no crashes. I will have to say the install process was a little confusing at first, its up and going strong.

For those that have issues with installing it, this is how i did it:
    * First do a clean install of RTW 1.5 OUTSIDE of the 'Program Files' folder. Mine was in the C: folder (C:\Rome - Total War) . Note that EB 1.1, its update 1.2, and the 1.2 fixes MUST be installed into this folder.
    * Install EB 1.1 to that RTW folder (have to do it manually probably) mine was . Do not install 1.1 fixes
    * Copy/ paste 1.2 update after it was extracted (182 mb- 1 folder 'EB' and 3 files) into into the RTW folder (again probably manually). for me it was (C:\Rome - Total War)
    * Install the 3 fixes for 1.2 by copy/pasting the those folders to the Data folder within the EB folder within RTW folder. For me it was (C:\Rome - Total War\EB\Data )
    * Made a shortcut to desktop from "RomeTW.exe" in RTW folder. (C:\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe) - (right click it, and send shortcut to desktop)
    * Added this line below to the target of the shortcut's properties on the desktop just created. Makes sure there is 1 space between target path and this line:
    "-mod:eb -show_err -ne"

(Right click the shortcut created on desktop, click properties, target line is under the 'shortcut' tab. Also under same tab is where you can change icon look to EB's icon)

* Then I changed the icon of the shortcut to the EB icon, and renamed it which is optional of course.

* I hope that helps anyone that may see it and need help.

I am just very glad I'm able to play it. This mod is right there as one of my favorites along side my other favorite one which shall be nameless. Thanks for all the effort to make this happen. Ok, now back to my first Punic War, which so far in the first strike, my Romans are victors.
    Last edited by Millsy; 03-26-2009 at 19:40.

just dropping in to say that this is the most awesome mod !!!! :)

Is there a reason why I can't move my roman army down to the cities in the south of africa ? Also my spy, assassin and diplomat can't reach the cities in the south.

Is it possible to buy mercenaries with elephants, when you play rome ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast