Thread: Tips for a new Redux player? (2nd ED)

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Tips for a new Redux player? (2nd ED)

So I've started up an English campaign, but I admit I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do first. (In case it matters, I'm playing Normal difficulty with the Large unit setting.)

As it appears that troops are more expensive now, I decided to first build a couple money structures (trading posts, improved farmland, etc.). Also, I'm holding off on recruiting units until I have a little bit more of an economy going.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you guys do in the beginning. Any input or advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Axalon; 01-16-2014 at 02:37. Reason: update...
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Default Re: Tips for a new Redux player?

1. I make sure I can hold Normandy by moving units over there (there are no real threats on the British Isles).
    2. Work on economy.
    3. Work on upgrades for units (valour, armour).
    4. Built fleet around the Isles that is superior.
    5. Then take all of the Isles. Now I cannot be invaded anymore.
    6. Try to take Flanders (they have great spearman).
    7. Destroy France.
    Last edited by William the Silent; 11-25-2008 at 09:38.

Post regarding size-settings relocated...
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-27-2011 at 22:44. Reason: update...

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, gentlemen. I shall endeavor to put them to good effect.

Also, I think I might restart the campaign with the unit size setting at Normal. Although I'm not the greatest MTW player in the world, I'd still just as soon not handicap the AI any more than it already is.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Hi all redux players, new and old, some general thoughts here....

The more I think of this thread the more brilliant I think it is. However, the redux sub-forum and the entire redux area here at the ORG is essentially not for me (I probably know almost everything there is to know about redux so I personally have little or very limited use for this forum, after all I created MTW-redux). So, who is it for then? It is for you guys!

It is not supposed to function as a place were I provide you people with various statements that now this and that has been released or happened. And, its sole purpose is not to be a place were you turn to when you got a problem of some kind! It’s supposed to be a place were you guys, the redux players, can share and discuss your experiences and information with each other (you don’t even have to be active players at the moment)! And, it is ok to post here even if you don’t have a problem or a question on your hands! I really can’t see why it seems to be a problem for so many people to understand that simple fact. How about *just* sharing information and experiences with each other! Hell, I might even learn something as well!

Now, since I know that there are plenty of redux players out there I think all this is a bit ridiculous. I mean in just december alone we probably had more than a 100 new players of redux, still this forum was fairly inactive because I (and apparently all others) was busy with other things. To put it frankly here, my job is not to be the driving force of this forum nor should it be dependant on me (at all!). It should be you guys that make things happen here, not I! Now, the redux sub-forum here at the ORG provides all of you with a unique and golden opportunity to share information and experiences with other players that play the exact same game! Use this opportunity!

Martoks thread here is excellent grounds to work on so why don’t start using it? I mean not all of you will instantly become MTW-redux skilled veteran players? Why don’t start sharing your insights and discoveries with other players? After all, it is not the same game as the original and there probably are a "market" for this! Here are some ideas and suggestions for you guys to get you started:
    • What are the things to watch out for in reduxed campaigns?
    • What problems are there with using same tactics or strategy’s in the original game?
    • Which differences should you bare in mind when start playing redux campaigns compared to the original version?
    • Which units provide the most bang for the buck?
    • Which strategy will ensure that you will not be swept away from the map?
    • Which factions are the most dangerous foes?
    • Etc. etc. etc.

Stuff like that for instance or just sharing your views and opinions to other new players on these five-six areas. Perhaps someone even wants to write a guide or dicta on some faction for others to use, or start a poll on reduxed something. I'm all for that! The guidelines and topics for this particular and excellent thread is the title for it. Everything else should be posted somewhere else (for obviously official or general stuff for instance, at least I, use the regular thread).

There also is a fully dedicated sister-thread just around the corner that is meant deal with tactics, battles and all stuff related to that right over here. There we all have a dedicated area to discuss or debate either actual battle reports and/or tactics in general for redux so we all can study it for reference and actually learn something out of it. If “you” got something that is not covered by these two threads, start a new one! I mean there must be something that is worth sharing or something well worth discussing or asking about? There are no shortage of players here, the only a shortage we have are people willing to share and exchange information and experiences with each other. I mean, come on people, this is ridiculous. These threads and the entire redux sub-forum are there for you, use 'em! So….

Since I am hardly the right or best person (after all, I am too accustomed to reduxed circumstances) to provide information and experiences suitable for new redux players, who will it be then? Take it away, who ever you are!

- Cheers
    ----------
    You people do as you will of course, but I think it is pity not to use a great
    and excellent chance when its there....
    Last edited by Axalon; 01-12-2009 at 23:46. Reason: Ghastly English

Hello to all Redux players!

I'm about ninety years into my first Redux campaign, still figuring a few things out. I've been a little slow in solving the tech tree, so only recently puzzled out how to build most of the quality 100-man units. Thus, most of the better units in my current armies are the smaller ones (20, 40, or 60 man units).

I've noticed the AI almost exclusively builds armies out of 100-man units as soon as they're developed. This is resulting in a bit of a problem for me: there's a 16-unit limit on the battlefield. My armies tend to have between 800-950 men on the field, the AI armies have been in the 1400-1500+ range. Even though my units are often of slightly higher quality, the sheer numbers are proving daunting at times.

Anyone else encountered this issue? <Or are you all jaded veterans who've long gotten past such trivia>
    Last edited by Geezer57; 01-19-2009 at 20:10.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Hi Geezer57,

I probably belong in the jaded pixel-slaughtering category of commanders myself so I am not the right person to answer you on this (as I said I am too accustomed to it). Is anybody else up for it or have had similar thoughts?

- Cheers
    ----------
    If you do want to discuss these things with me, I recommend you to drop
    a post over at the battle and tactics area…

Hi Geezer 57!
    Have a look in Redux: Battle Reports & Discussion; posts 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8.
    I started a similar discussion there.

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

EDIT: I took the liberty of editing in a copy here of the text ‘ol Faenaris is referring to in his post here. The original post (no:277) is located in the regular redux-thread. It seemed like he would want that… In the spoiler folks… - Axalon
    -----------------------------

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

England rules the waves ... if She has ships

A fine aspect about the Redux campaign is that you have a LOT of turns to play around with(around 500 if I'm not mistaken). I'm a slow and methodical player who uses the sledgehammer technique. I turtle, build up and once ready, I swoop down on my enemy and knock em out in a few turns using a rather small but advanced army. No skirmishing and all that, no sirree! So, when I booted the campaign, I went for little old England. Island, pretty safe from invasions (in the beginning at least), opportunity for rebel-smashing, ... What more could you want as a first time Redux player?

Being the chicken that I am, I opted for a Normal difficulty. I never quite liked giving the AI bonusses ("what do you mean, those peasants whooped my king?!") and while I could overlook the Hard difficulty, the Very Hard was just a bridge too far. Besides, it's my first game and I wanna try out the mod a bit. Thus said, thus done.

England starts off with Normandy, Wessex, Mercia and that's about it. Alrighty, let's build up. A quick glance at the unit roster made me drool. Light infantry, regular infantry, longbows, feudal longbows, four kinds of light cavalry, ... What to pick? I had read that Longbows dominated ranged warfare in Redux, so, 4 feudal longbows coming up! The units were rather small and their upkeep seemed rather low. Some units had an upkeep of 15 florins! My memory fails me a lot of times nowadays, but I do think I remember having to pay a lot more upkeep in the original MTW. Then again, in the original MTW, you made too much money too fast and as such, paying upkeep was a moot point. Besides, the lower the upkeep, the larger the armies of the AI will be and massive battles is what the audience wants! And me too. Héhé.

As for the buildings, I was glad to see that the turns required for the buildings were more sensible. One turn for a low-level fort or blacksmith, that's the spirit! While I'm a patient man, clicking turn after turn just to see a building finished isn't exactly fun either. Reasonable build times are the keyword. Sure, a citadel takes over 12 turns and costs 12000 florins (which is a lot in Redux), but that's normal. It's a huge castle. But in MTW, you had to wait around 10 turns to get a simple castle running. Not fun.

The economy in Redux is much more agrarian-based, so, I went nuts with the farm upgrades. 1 turn for 10% improvement, 2 turns for 20% improvement, ... It might seem pointless at first, but after upgrading my provinces to 100%, my monthly income went from 800 and no armies to 2.3k with 2 full stacks. I'm quoting from memory, so the actual digits might be way off. :)
    So, after I got those 4 feudal longbowmen, I noticed a lot of mercenaries were available. Not the kind of units everyone can produce, but real mercenary units like Mercenary Spearmen and such. Even some Norse ones, but those were pricey. So, I went on a shopping spree, got me a nice stack of them with some light infantry of my own mixed in. And I invaded Wales.

The rebels ran away from my glorious army and I started building up Wales. Flushed with victory, I invaded Northumbria. They ran away again. I consolidated, disbanded the mercs and trained two regular stacks. Light infantry, regular infantry, some longbows, ... and Feudal Champions. Five soldiers in a unit. A bandit stack appeared in Mercia and I wanted to see those Champions in action. So, 5 champions versus 60 light spearmen. When I ordered the charge, they crashed into the spearformation and even when taking them head-on (not a smart thing to do when the other guy has a long pointy stick and you don't), they butchered them. Not a single casualty and 50 dead spearmen. I was whooping with joy. Those champions are a treat. There is even a 1-man unit of champions. Must be Chuck Norris.

Anyhow, things were running fine. I raised a third stack in Wessex because France was getting itchy. They grabbed Brittany and Flanders. “Flemish spearmen? WOOP WOOP!”. I'm from Flanders myself, so I beamed with patriotic pride to see my countrymen represented in Redux. Thanks, Axalon! Anyway, I wanted to get Scotland under my heel, but the turn before I launched the invasion, the Frogs attacked! Indeed, a full stack of Frenchies dropped onto the British Peninsula! Quite outrageous. No way they are taking Scotland, even if they were rebels. My land! So, I declared war without blinking and invaded Scotland.

They simply had some Flemish Spearmen, some Frankish spearmen and two Royal Knights. What could go wrong? My combination of Regular Infantry, two longbows, some regular archers and light infantry would make mincemeat out of them. And I had a unit of Feudal Champions too! Piece of cake, right? Wrong. The battle was long and bloody and I just made it out. A full stack was grinded into dust (even the Champions bit the dust too, which shocked me after their first victory) and I had to ship over the other stack in the North just to keep Scotland pacified. Provinces are really harder to keep in line, but that's a plus. No more easy invading with just a few units. :) I also noticed that Longbows really outrange normal archers (which is ... normal) and the rate-of-fire was excellent. Volley after volley after volley. Granted, the Flemish didn't go down that easily, but they were armoured to the teeth. But my Longbowmen really tore the Frenchies a new one. If only they made it out alive ... Running out of ammo and being forced in a desperate counter-attack isn't good for their health. And in the end, it was for naught. The province rebelled and I had to withdraw the second stack.

I could have continued the war, but it was a test run. I decided I would increase difficulty a notch (to Hard) and try my hand at the Germans. Always had a softspot for Swabia and the HRE. So, I'm going to start that one and finish it. I'll suffer more setbacks like the Scotland Incident, but that's alright. Getting smashed by an unknown unit teaches you respect for it ... and the AI who has constructed it. And besides, this time the HRE must build-up it's empire by fighting Rebels, the Poles and the Norse. More time to expand, control and enjoy. So, Germany it is!

Wonderful mod, Axalon. Really stunning. It might seem to onlookers that I'm trying to suck-up, but this mod REALLY is that good. I played Medmod and MTWXL, good mods in their own right, but Redux takes my fancy. No more era-progression, loooooads of turns, lots of big armies duking it out, ... I can't wait to crusade against the Moors or the Saracens. And I haven't even fought the Scourge of the North, the Norse! So many things to do. I'm wishing this week never ends, I need more time with Redux, dang it!

Since I'm still rather newish to Redux (and I already dropped one hunk of a post in another topic that should have gone to this thread), I would like to give some hints and trinkets of advice. Don't take my gospel as truth though, I'm still new at Redux-gaming and I'm far from the most experienced player there is. But I disgress.

*When you boot Redux, there are only about 8 playable factions. That doesn't seem a lot and while you can mod the mod, I would advice you to play a bit first. You'll see why there are only 8 factions after a while. Sure, you can play as the Norse with some modding, but since their infantry can whoop Chuck Norris and make baby Jesus cry, you will probably steamroll Europe a bit faster. Just a bit though, Redux has enough trick up its sleeves to stop rushers.

*You got over 500 turns to play, take it slow. Don't rush or do the blitzkrieg all over again. It just might work, but Redux will bite your head off if you overextend yourself. I'm a rather slow player, but even I have to carefully plan some invasions in order to keep my behind intact.

*Agriculture makes a whole lot more money than trading. Trading does give money, but it is significantly less than in Vanilla MTW. Building up your farms will reward you with cash and cash is the key in Redux. It's scarce, you will have to make tough decisions on whether to build that Keep now (4000 florins a piece and it takes quite some turns to even make 4K a turn) or to train some more infantry. So, build up the farms, Luke. The Force will be with you. Just protect the farms too. Nothing hurts more than see your juicy grainfields go up in smoke.

*The unitroster is more straightforward and rather huge. You have light infantry, regular infantry, heavy infantry. You have got archers. You got feudal infantry, spearmen or archers. There are also Royal variants of those units. You got militia, cavalry in a lot of different flavours. Very impressive and clear on what they do. READ the unit descriptions. Regular infantry will squish Light Spearmen, but Flemish Spearmen will give them a nasty knock on the head. You will feel a bit lost when you start your first campaign, but you will get the hang of it after your first dozen turns and your first few battles.

*Numbers mean nothing. There are 5-man or even 1-man units, but those will happily smash bigger units if you become too confident. Numbers can help, but don't think that having more "peeps" will bring you victory.

*Don't forget to use archers and cavalry. The Norse will eat your infantry for breakfast and mock your heavy infantry. They are nasty, but not arrow-proof.

*Rebellions are a bigger factor. Right from the bat, some of your provinces will be below 100% happiness, despite having some troops stationed there. Don't neglect those provinces. A two-stack rebellion is going to ruin your day, even if it's just Peasant Cavalry. I always go for 5 or 6 units for garrisoning. Bit excessive, but the garrisons are cheap and can serve as an emergency army in a pinch.

*Don't forget you can have a civil war on your hands! I thought I had it covered when playing as The Germans, but it did happen. Lost me a few provinces and troops (a whole crack stack ran over to the other side!) and since I was fighting off the Lithuanians (and the odd 2 stack Almohads who invaded French-controlled Flanders), I had a few frantic and nail-biting turns to get my stuff together and snatch victory from the maws of defeat!

(More observations will come once I play more.)
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-24-2010 at 23:51. Reason: update...
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

Excellent stuff Faenaris. Carry on....

That was very exciting stuff and good tips. So what happened to the continuation?

The thread is still in progress Mark, feel free to apply what you read and come back to write your own tips for others after a few campaigns.

Redux is a popular mod and Axalon is puting a lot of effort in it. He hasn't been around the tw community forums lately, but i'm sure he will eventually with some new work.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Good to know, now that I discovered this site and this mod. Thanks for showing up and giving me hope.

By the way, since I am a new gamer to MTW and have only played vanilla in easy mode, I am now starting Redux in the easy mode. I read that easy mode in Redux is somewhat like normal in vanilla. I was just starting to move up to normal in vanilla so this seems to work out.

I have tried two starts with the Spanish and I am impressed with the game play and thinking involved. I will tried to write a summary of my experience to date and post it later.

Ok, here is a quick observation.

I am playing with the Spanish on Easy. I am on my third start as I try different strategies.

1. The first time I sent the embassy to to ally with Aragon. I must have forgot to do that with Portugal. Any way, I built up Leon, invaded Navarre, and watched as a rebellion in Cordoba chased the Moors out. I moved in with about 200 troops thinking I could easily take out the rebels. To my surprise, a 400+ Portuguese army moved into Cordoba to back the rebels. At 6-1 odds against me I withdrew. No hit on my reputation or my army's morale. I expanded my army thinking I had to beat the Portuguese first. This all took place in the first 7 turns.

2. The second time I made sure to ally with Portugal. I again waited for the rebels to chase the Moors away and then made my move. But this time I brought a bigger army with me. In Leon I had built a fort, two units of peasant cavalry, and sent a son with Royal nights to hold them together. Little did I know the Portuguese would invade Leon while my back was turned in Cordoba. The peasant cavalry were about destroyed before my son routed. So my next move was to move into Leon and show the Portuguese a lesson.

3. This third time I made friends with everyone and built up my infrastructure in the three provinces of Castile, Leon, and Navarre, and my Kings army. By turn 25 the Moors had built up in Cordoba an army of 3215 troops, while the Portuguese had a total of 945 troops. I had with my King only 658. While I had three provinces to guard, the other two powers only had one in Spain. This assumes Aragon would be neutral.

Now I think the early attack on Cordoba is the way to go, at least in the Easy mode. I just don't have the knowledge of how to grow strong yet to use the "build up" strategy.

I hope this is to some interest for anyone new to the Redux mod. This is a very different feel than the vanilla version. Rebellions are more important and more likely in this world. There is a lot to explore in Redux, and I am still learning what to built to get what.

A great mod, with a beautiful map, and lots of cool units to drool over. Thanks again Axalon.

Nice campaigns you have there Mark. I haven't played Redux, but i can tell that it seems you have to rush someone early on to get breathing space. From what you report i doubt that strategy 3 would work.

One way to do this is to use a small garisson in your home provinces (say Leon), with the intention to withdraw to the castle there if you get attacked while you use your army almost to the full to conquer one of your many strong enemies. Once you get one more (rich) preferably province you can do the same with another one of your enemies etc until you get all of the peninsula.

If you do get attacked as it happened you can a) retreat your main army there and fight off the intruder - assuming you do win you can then proceed to their main province (as they'll be weakened) or b) get on with sieging your target province with your main army while you get besieged yourself in Leon; assuming you have enough fortifications and you choose wisely what units to leave behind (prefferably a good spear and a heavy infantry sword unit) you can punish a large army that assaults you there, while at the same time you gain your target province after which you can return to your besieged province and kick out your weakened from siege enemy.

Last edited by gollum; 03-24-2010 at 21:16.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Thanks gollum, that sounds good. I see spears and swords are so much better than two units of peasant cavalry. Hehe

There does seem to be a fine balance in MTW between moving fast when needed and slowing down when you should. I have read in other posts that the general thrust of the game is to take your time. I think I will improve my game play as I learn what to build when and pace myself. What a cool game.

Indeed Mark, the pacing issue is of great importance and interest.

In sieges a spear and a sword work really good in "closed" spaces. The spear can hold cavalry, while a heavy sword charges horsies from behind, while if you are facing heavy infantry the sword can fight face to face while the spear flanks. Ideally you can complement with a missile unit (either bow or crossbow) to hit the enemy as they appraoch or create killing zones in the confined castle spaces. Therein you can make enemy units take rear missile fire while the fight your own units. However such an arrangement would give small siege times for small castle levels - therefore its more feasible for larger castle complexes.

I agree with you - MTW is quite a game

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I'm (sort of) new to redux and glad to see these threads are staying alive. This game is easy to understand, It's like a simpler version of vanilla MTW, however there are more Faction-Unique units which I like to have in my armies! However, I have some questions regarding one unit I don't quite get:

I'm wondering if either the 5 feudal champions or the single champion are worth taking up a unit slot. I mean, how strong are they? It seems to me like a few crossbows could take them down rather easily. Any suggestions would be helpful! Keep up the good work Axalon!

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."

-Sir Godwin

Hello Nzd07,

Quote Originally Posted by nzd07 View Post
    This game is easy to understand, It's like a simpler version of vanilla MTW...
    I'll take that as a compliment considering redux got more factors and elements in play then the original game. If you still find it easier to understand and handle then I must have done something right in my designs. Anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by nzd07 View Post
    I'm wondering if either the 5 feudal champions or the single champion are worth taking up a unit slot. I mean, how strong are they? It seems to me like a few crossbows could take them down rather easily. Any suggestions would be helpful!
    It utterly depends on the circumstances; these units are just like everything else given both strengths and weaknesses by design and that to a degree that supercede the original game. There are more factors at play, its simply more complex then raw MTW. There are questions that precede your questions before you will have any solid answers to that. Are your coffers rich/poor? Have you managed to get high levels of development in the region? What does the opposition actually look like? You pointed out yourself that against crossbows their use is questionable – which is true. If allowed to stand around and be free targets for concentrated salvos of projectiles they will die for sure. If it is close combat the roles are reversed. Also…

Consider this: a single 60men regular Infantry formation at the cost of 575 fl. is likely to lose vs. a 5 men feudal champion unit at the cost 150 fl (90% chance or there about, with zero upgrades and bonuses). It is a trade off since the regular infantry unit will (without a doubt) fare much better against the crossbow unit then the feudal champions would. On the other hand you can not keep an army of just feudal champions because you are likely to loose as soon as the AI uses/deploys troops that the feudal boys are weak against (which will probably be soon). It is all part of the system. It is real diversity that you as the player are more or less forced to consider eventually….

Against a formation of – say a 100men Moorish Infantry unit - you will have good chances of success by combining 1 unit feudal champs + the regular infantry of 60 men while in total you have only spent 725 fl. as compared to the Muslim 850 fl. The downside is that 2 battleslots (out of 16) are taken/used instead of just 1 which is the case for the Muslim unit. This is how redux works, those boys are a part of the system. If you somehow don’t want to utilize all the options and possibilities of that system are up to you, it is your headache and privilege.

Any other thoughts on this (or something else), feel free to post ‘em in folks.

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

Consider this: a single 60men regular Infantry formation at the cost of 575 fl. is likely to lose vs. a 5 men feudal champion unit
    I decided to try them out in my English campaign. My royal spearmen were holding off some feudal cavalry. All of the sudden, I saw a group of French regular infantry running towards their flank. Luckily, the champions were nearby. With +2 armor, they plowed through the infantry only losing 2 men!

Also, although this is a bit random, I can only get the 1.0 VI fix to work. I get the dreaded Novgorod error message, and I've tried about 4 different versions. The VI fix is the only one that seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well!

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."

-Sir Godwin

Hi Nzd07,

Well if the VI-upgrade works, what is the problem then? Anyhow, if you still do have a problem somehow, state your case over at the Install-Emergency and it will get sorted out there. Please do read the existing instructions closely and be thorough and exact about the details and it will get solved faster.

Now, let’s keep this place on topic and stick to strictly “new player” things here. Thus any other (or further) stuff related to various “new player” aspects of redux – feel free to post in this very thread folks…

- Cheers

Redux 3rd Edition - Plato's Tip No. 1: Cultivate some additional generals

Though you may think that royal princes give you a fine start, they won't see you through the game (kings are mortal after all) and there are no four- or five-star heroes appearing every few decades. If you don't heed my advice, you may just find yourself watching as a no-star nobody donates the skulls of his men for use as Norse drinking vessels.

If you don't need to inflict an absolutely crushing victory, consider leaving your top general at home when attacking and let someone else have a go - it will pay dividends later. The highest rated commander (or king) will still take charge when a territory is attacked.

Member thankful for this post:

Axalon 

Alright folks...

I just wanted to say that I have come to the conclusion that my previous "non-interference" doctrine here does not yield the results I want for this thread and so I have decided to abandon that for the opposite approach, direct involvement basically - we will see how that goes....

Anyways, I do encourage ALL players of Redux to share their experiences and insights here as to help other and future players of Redux - and yourselves in the process. It is hard to deny that Redux is very different from raw MTW (and even mods of a similar theme) and so I think there should be a gazillion of things to post about and discuss here. Besides I seriously doubt that any player is a master of Redux just because they have played some raw MTW or other mods before (it basically takes multiple full campaigns just to get a solid grip on Redux and how everything works). Why not post some here and take some advice and suggestions of other people also playing Redux - I sort of fail to see how this is somehow a bad thing? This thread offers you the possibility to help yourselves in your campaigns basically. It is, after all it is here for you guys. However, you guys must first start posting here in order for any of that to happen at all here....

So my suggestion is that you do just that, that is, if you guys want any such discussions and help here (otherwise by all means lurk on if that somehow was ever a supposedly better alternative). Anyhow, we will follow Plato's lead from this point on and deal with the 3rd Ed releases of Redux exclusively - the latest being RXB1003 as I write this.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-21-2012 at 03:20. Reason: corrections...

Hi @Plato,

...right you are. Another problem about Princelings is quite often lacking loyalty - so if the older brother becomes King, you may sit there wih four generals, maybe 5 to 8 stars - and loyalty 3 or even less! Better to take a guy, maybe 1star, but at least 5dread, and let him fight not-too-crucial battles. I take them to "Island hopping", conquering ship producing facilities first (in the Med there often are only 2-3 units on an island), with few but good men. With luck, every conquered island one star more ;-))

greetings daigaku