Thread: OMG the most epic Punic-Roman war is going on ^^

Default OMG the most epic Punic-Roman war is going on ^^

Let me tell you

I'm playing a campaign with Carthage. The Situation is:

First I conquered Kirtan, Siga, Lixus and Sala
    Then all of Sicily
    Meanwhile it's the year 200 BC an I have conquered all of Spain, for which I had to fight very fiercly with the mighty Aedui, who have conquered all of Gallia (except the capital of the Arverni), Venetia and Pannonia Illyrica. Now I'm at peace with them.

The Ptolemaioi try to conquer Lepki since 70 years, they've managed to do so ca. 50 years ago, but I conquered it back and since then they could not take it anymore.

Now the Romans. When I had all of Sicily, the Romans tried to conquer Messana several times in about 10 years, and managed to do so once, but I could reconquer the city. After about 10 years, the Romans fought an Epic war against Epeiros. The Epeirotes managed to conquer Arpi, Capua, Roma and Arminium. But the Romans came back, when Epeiros had to defend itself in Greece against the now very mighty Koinon Hellenon. Meanwhile Epeiros is destroyed, KH own all of Greece and Makedonia and the Romani own all of Italy. Since that was the case, they threw one fullstack of Polybian units at Messana after another. When I had fought them back, they already sent the next fullstack. Around Rhegion there always were 6-7 Roman fullstacks who just waited to go after Messana.

But I could hold them back. How? I had a Fullstack in Messana and trained Hoplitai in Syrakousai and Lilibeo. When my troops in Messana were decimated to much, I made a sally fought them back, and reinforced the city. The Romans lost about 200'000 men (in my Roleplay it's the real Number x 10) when I made a mistake. I sent 1 Unit of horsemen too much to messana, and wanted to send them back to Lilibeo. But they stopped in the middle of the way, no movementpoints. In the next turn, they got attacked by a second Roman fullstack. I retreated to Lilibeo and feared they would attack this city. But the second fullstack turned around and besieged Messana too. Against 2 Fullstacks I had no chance and they took the city.. and exterminated it. in the next turn they sent 6 Fullstacks to sicily and took Syrakousai too. Now they besiege Lilibeo but cannot take it - yet.

Of course now I've startet a counter-attack. I landed in Italy with a great army, attacked Roma, took the city, enslaved the people and destroyed every building possible, except the wonder. Now the Romans send 3 of the 6 Fullstacks of Sicily up there. But I'm sure I will take and exterminate several more cities until they reach me. And until then I might have built up a second fullstack, if the money suffices.

However. "This will be the greatest war, the world has ever seen..." ;-)
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 12-02-2009 at 17:35.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Default Re: OMG the most epic Punic-Roman war is going on ^^

Really exciting situation youre in Swiss Good luck in the battles to come.... and good Barbaroi killing

BTW: what are thoose roman stacks made of? Are they somewhat ballanced or just the typical AI -mess?
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Don't worry. I'm Koinon Hellenon and I've just spied several Roman full stacks ON THEIR WAY! When am I going to get Greek Phalangites??!
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Don't worry. I'm Koinon Hellenon and I've just spied several Roman full stacks ON THEIR WAY! When am I going to get Greek Phalangites??!
    As soon as the romans have a huge city in Italia besides Roma.
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

It's quite a good mix, many Hastati, Principes and Triarii, some Roarii and Velites. Sometimes they send almost pure Samnite-Stacks with Hastati Samnitici and Samnitici Milites. And in most army there are 2-3 Pedites Extraordinarii and 1-2 Eqvites Romanii and Eqvites Extraordinarii. Very rarely there are still Camillan units.

I have continued the campaign yesterday, now the situation is as following:

The Carthaginian army that sacked Roma went forward and besieged Arretium, chased by Roman fullstacks. The Carthaginians could take the city before the Romans were there and destroyed it completely. Then they went for Bononia. The Romans catched them but lost an epic battle in Cannae-Style. Bononia fell and was sacked and destroyed, same for Arminium soon later. Then it went for Patavium and Segesta. The Romans lost some more heavy battles, but the longer the more the Carthaginian army got decimated. Before it could be destroyed by two more Roman fullstacks the army could reach the shores of Etruria and was brought away from Italy by a fleet of Quadriremes, a sort of ship with witch the Carthaginians had defended their status of Masters of the western Mediterranean against some pretty strong fleets of the Romans. This army was brought home to Carthage.

Meanwhile a second carthaginian army has landed in Campania and has exterminated Capua after a very bloody battle against those mentioned two fullstacks. Soon after that also they were took home to Carthage by a fleet of Quadriremes.

The Romans still besiege Lilibeo and have two fullstacks in Sicily. But in Italy they have none anymore. The Carthaginians have sent one army to northern Sicily to fight the Roman stacks, and the second one to southern Sicily, where it besieges Syrakousai.

The most cunning part of the carthaginian plan was to give the three northern cities of Patavium, Bononia and Segesta to the mighty Aedui. If the Romans want to conquer them back, they have to attack the Aedui, who not only are very strong, but also their ally.The Carthaginians hope for a war between the Aedui and the Romans, which would make it easier for them to conquer Sicily back.

Btw: The war is not only happening on the battlefield. The Romans make alliances with my other enemies, f.e. the Ptolemaioi, and as I said, I try to "create" a war between the Romans and the mighty Aedui who at the moment are their allies. Besides that, the Romans use a large amount of Assasins and killed several Diplomats, Spies and one of my FM, while I assassinate also every single Roman spy, diplomate and of course Assasin I see and also I managed even to kill a Roman FM.
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 12-03-2009 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Besides that, the Romans use a large amount of Assasins and killed several Diplomats, Spies and one of my FM,
    LOL that really made me laugh. Nice campaign though, keep it up!
    I had a question concerning the cities you take in Italia. Do you sack them and then give them back, or do you sack them and start rebuilding them the following season?
    Imperare sibi maximvm imperivm est

Quote Originally Posted by DionCaesar View Post
    LOL that really made me laugh. Nice campaign though, keep it up!
    I had a question concerning the cities you take in Italia. Do you sack them and then give them back, or do you sack them and start rebuilding them the following season?
    Why did it make you laugh? A little more respekt for my poor Diplomats please ;-)

Actually I sacked them and destroyed every destroyable building... and them left them and went for the next one.

This made the situation better for some decades, since the Romans had to build up again their military structures and of course the economy. But finally I had to exterminate them, and now own all of Italy

Yeah, that's inevitable. I too tend to let factions live, but they can get very annoying and sometimes even dangerous. So eventually they'll have to be exterminated.

I laughed at it because you said it in a rather funny way. 'A large amount' somehow sounded funny to me. Those Romans ^^ using assassins.. . Funny to hear.
    Imperare sibi maximvm imperivm est

Thumbs up Re: OMG the most epic Punic-Roman war is going on ^^

Wow! The conquest of such a large portion of Italy by the Epirotes is quite shocking! I love this game!!
    Last edited by Aram; 12-19-2009 at 01:10.
    Stranger in a strange land...

Aye, it is fun to fight the Romans as Carthage. After a nice long piece with the Romans, with me holding all of Sicily plus Rhegion, the Romans attacked. I was quite worried because they had a load of full stacks, and after scoring a few good victories, I was forced to retreat due to attrition to Carthage with my navy and leave Rhegion and Sicily to them. Luckily I managed to replenish my army, whilst adding some better infantry then Poeni Militia, and some Cavalry, and a 20 man elephant unit again :), and slowly took Italy and Sicily over. The Faction Destroyed icon for the Romans is beautiful.
    Last edited by Hakomar; 12-20-2009 at 04:55.