Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigable Rivers?

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Navigable Rivers?

Hey EB-addicts!

How do you think on implement some navigable rivers in EBII?
    Maybe the Danube, the Rhine, the Indus and the Don?
    If you want to see how this works ingame, you could look on DLV, they have the Danube navigable.

In my opinion this works great, adds more tactical posibillities and it represents the rivers better than to use them just as obstacle, as in history some rivers were used to ship troops into the hinterland of your empire.

So what do you think about this point?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Navigable Rivers?

The exact same question was asked on the TWC EB2 forum five days ago. The answer was that the team hasn't decided yet, but probably won't since it interferes with land-trade routes.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Navigable Rivers?

ooops, I do not ues TWC so often, so sry!

Thanks Ludens!

BTW:Yes you will loose the land-trade routes, but you gain the sea routes, is there a difference?

XSamatan

Some navigable rivers could be great, Danube, Rhin and Eufrates, for example.

Remember how the Augustus Julianus aka the Apostate made his (failed) invasion of Parthian Empire.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    BTW:Yes you will loose the land-trade routes, but you gain the sea routes, is there a difference?
    Not sure about M2:TW, but in R:TW both use different mechanisms. Land trade is automatic, sea trade depends on the presence of a port. You could give every river province such a port of course, but then they would be able to trade overseas as well. In R:TW the number of sea trade routes is also limited to three per city.

hmm, yes that is a good point.

Maybe these navigable rivers should not have a connection to the ocean, so you could control the trade routes.

I have to admit that I do not know if some cities/regions nearby these rivers had maritime trade connections to cities/regions on the costal. So that would not be ahistorical, but I have to

XSamatan

You might as well add the Liffey, the Thames, the Loire, the Seine and the Tiber to the list of prospectives..
    Μηδεν εωρακεναι φoβερωτερον και δεινοτερον φαλλαγγος μακεδονικης

Those rivers were nothing, compared to the scale of the Indus, the Danube and the Nile.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Indeed. Only those rivers which were very hard to cross and were traded extensively upon should even be considered for this.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Exclamation Re: Navigable Rivers?

Don't be so negative, Appo. It's a pretty sweet idea.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    Indeed. Only those rivers which were very hard to cross and were traded extensively upon should even be considered for this.
    I don't think this is very negative. I think its pretty realistic... only the MAJOR rivers are important here, like the Nile, etc.

I was under the impression that shipping troops via major rivers was a fairly common practice.

Thumbs up Re: Navigable Rivers?

I like the idea of goin' a-viking, though. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    I was under the impression that shipping troops via major rivers was a fairly common practice.
    Yes, but the tiber on the campaign map is so very small its easier to march around Italy instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    Yes but there's a small difference in having some ferry going up & down and having a *war* fleet sailing up & down. Navigable rivers would be navigable by even the heavies kind of warships we'd include. The Tiber (for instance) definitely does not qualify: in this context it's not a mere triviality that the Romans preferred to unload the large mercantile ships elsewhere and ship the cargo to Roma using lighter vessels.

The question with navigable rivers (if it would be implemented because navigable rivers also mean 'no roads for you' AFAIK) is: what provinces have rivers that are so deep even heavy warships can sail up & downstream safely?
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 12-02-2008 at 13:53.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

As we can learn from the romans:
    The Rhine, Danube and Nile

I think these rivers were in history used to ship whole armies, others like Euphrat&Tigris, Themse and Loire only in very few cases.

A thought about the trading:

Could it be implemented, that these rivers (and a very small area of coast) belong to Terhazza?
    This would allow to use not trading ports but instead markers which give the regions a bonus of trading?

XSamatan

Member Member Gatalos de Sauromatae's Avatar

As we can learn from the romans:
    The Rhine, Danube and Nile

I think these rivers were in history used to ship whole armies, others like Euphrat&Tigris, Themse and Loire only in very few cases.

Could it be implemented, that these rivers (and a very small area of coast) belong to Terhazza?
    This would allow to use not trading ports but instead markers which give the regions a bonus of trading?

XSamatan
    Yeah! That is right.
    The Rhine, Danube, Nile, Euphrates and Tigris would be navigable in EB but the lesser and shorter rivers would be only the obstacle in the map.
    Drunken chieftan said: Where the hell are those stupid horsemen of mine?
    One of horsemen replied: We are all here, sir! However, you can't see us because you were fallen from your horse, sir.

Blog Entries

But where these armies shipped in sea ships or in smaller ferries? If the latter, it would be just as well simulated by a ford.

I don't think I quite understand what you are proposing. What would the difference be with the river port building of EB1?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    But where these armies shipped in sea ships or in smaller ferries? If the latter, it would be just as well simulated by a ford.
    They were shipped in special ships, build only to sail on these specific rivers. But it would be a waste to create a ship for every river, maybe one for all? And then a blockade at the delta, so other ships cannot enter the river? In this case we could represent that only residents of the river could built some ships.

A ford can only be used to cross a river (this should be like it is) but these ships could be used to travel alongside the river to carry troops from the delta to the origin e.g., and to blockade some fords.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I don't think I quite understand what you are proposing. What would the difference be with the river port building of EB1?
    Forget it, a crazy idea, i even can't express to myself

XSamatan

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Shipping armies is one thing, but if you make the rivers navigable in the RTW sense, that means you'd get big fleets of triremes battling each other on the Rhine or the Nile, which would be silly.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Blog Entries

They were shipped in special ships, build only to sail on these specific rivers. But it would be a waste to create a ship for every river, maybe one for all? And then a blockade at the delta, so other ships cannot enter the river?
    That could work, except that this would cut off the city at the delta from either river or sea trade (as it can have only one port, which has to be in either the river or the sea, and the two are separated by the blockade in the delta). I also think it would make the campaign map ugly if most rivers were to be one map-square wide.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Rivers will most likely not be navigable, especially if they look weird/ugle, like a deep narrow bay.

If the issue is that Armies/Merchants/Travellers could (in the real world) move long distances quickly by river, then could that not be simulated by making the routes of large rivers easier to move along? What I mean is, armies move further per turn on roads than across open country. Could this be applied to river courses? Essentially you'd put roads (invisible roads?) alongside the important rivers, allowing units to move along them quickly, simulating river transport.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

At least in RTW the roads are generated automatically by the game, and cannot be manually put anywhere by the modders. The same effect could nonetheless obtained with a terrain type called e.g. "river bank" which would have a lot smaller movement cost than other terrains. So, moving by riverbanks would be faster without the need for invisible roads.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

If any river should be navigable, it should be the Nile. I'd be happy with just the Nile. OoooOooOo the possibilities! >:) look out Ptolemy! here I come!
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Puupertti Ruma View Post
    At least in RTW the roads are generated automatically by the game, and cannot be manually put anywhere by the modders.
    Is that true for M2TW as well?

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Is that true for M2TW as well?
    Yes. It is, afterall, basically the same game engine.

I just thought maybe the improved engine allowed roads on the campaign map to be modded.

Thumbs up Re: Navigable Rivers?

The same effect could nonetheless obtained with a terrain type called e.g. "river bank" which would have a lot smaller movement cost than other terrains. So, moving by riverbanks would be faster without the need for invisible roads.
    Is that even possible?

If you create the new terrain, I think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast