Thread: Favourite Historic Battles

Default Favourite Historic Battles

I am suprised about the lack of guides linking to the Historical battles in Rome Total War.

Battle of Lake Trasimene
    Battle of Raphia
    Battle of Telamon
    Battle of the River Trebia
    Battle of Asculum
    Siege of Sparta
    Battle of Teutoburg Forest
    Battle of Cynoscephlae
    Siege of Gergovia
    Battle of Carrhae

For BI
    Battle of Chalons
    Battle of Badon Hill

This was all from the top of my head, so tell me if I have left any out. Anywho, what was your favourite Historical Battle and why? Give a summary and mabye a guide.

As for me, TEUTOBURG!! Although near impossible to beat on Very Hard.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Default Re: Favourite Historic Battles

My favourite is River Trebia and Carrhae, the former because I actually got to play as Hannibal and smash the hated Romans, while the latter because I actually felt like Crassus must have: frustrated and a little terrified of the Parthians.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coalition View Post
    I am suprised about the lack of guides linking to the Historical battles in Rome Total War.

Battle of Lake Trasimene
    Battle of Raphia
    Battle of Telamon
    Battle of the River Trebia
    Battle of Asculum
    Siege of Sparta
    Battle of Teutoburg Forest
    Battle of Cynoscephlae
    Siege of Gergovia
    Battle of Carrhae

For BI
    Battle of Chalons
    Battle of Badon Hill

This was all from the top of my head, so tell me if I have left any out. Anywho, what was your favourite Historical Battle and why? Give a summary and mabye a guide.

As for me, TEUTOBURG!! Although near impossible to beat on Very Hard.
    There are a few thread concerning to historical battles in the colessume, but its a long way down in the threads.

Anyway, here's how I finds all the historical battles

Battle name: Difficulty (how I rate it):

Battle of Lake Trasimene 5/10
    Not very hard. Once you rally the routed troops you should win the battle comfortablely enough if you're experienced. Won it on my first go.

Battle of Raphia 7/10 Fave
    My favourite battle because of the awesome troops avaible to both sides, also the landscape is perfect for an epic clash. The Seleucid have a excellent army but so do the Egyptians, its an very interesting senario where the battle could turn either way. The Egyptian Phoroah's bowmen is perticularly menacing and needs to be taken care accordingly. This battle have good replaybility because they are various different tactic you can use on the battle field. Failed miserblely on my first go.

Battle of Talemon 4/10
    In my opionion the easiest battle by far. You get superior swordsmen, and some nice cavalry. Sure you're outnumbered but the enemy are split up, and this is my favourite situation (and Napoleon's) when you can rout the first army before reinforcement shows up for them. Destroying the first batch of Romans won't be hard. Afterwards I placed my men on the hill on the left side of the field and use it to my advantage and destroyed the Romans as they march up to attack me. Won on my first go.

Battle of River Trebia 9/10
    Personally for me this is the hardest battle by far. Sure you got some awesome troops, but the Romans got double the number plus they're all experienced and better armed. Great tactics and experience needs to be applied for this, not for the faint hearted. Failed utterly on my first go.

Battle of Asculum 7/10
    For me one of less fun battles. You have very litte/weak cavalry and must rely on infantry and isn't superior to the enemy. For me its divide and conquer that worked the best. Using Roman infantry's superior mobility to separate the clumsy Phalanx and rout them separatly, very slow battle. Close defeate on my first go.

Seige of Sparta 6/10
    Only played when I was an experieced player because of the Spartan army scared the crap out of me when I was a newbie. The Spartan do have the better troops, I just lured them out of the narrow streets and killed them with my onager and combination of eles, cavalry and infantry once they're outside. Average victory on my first go.

Battle of Teutobergward Forest 10/10 – 5/10
    Teutoberg was a weird case. It was an excellent example of ambush, the first time I played I was taken completely by surprise and thinking this battle was impossible to won. But the second attempt was very different; knowing where they were and when to strike, I beat the Germans, though not very easily. But on the third go I smashed the Germans knowing when they will strike. For me the battle lacks replayablity as there is no point once you know when they will jump out from the woods. Utterly annihilated on my first go.

Battle of Cynoscephlae 7/10
    Only attempted the battle one I was relatively experienced with how to deal with Phalanxes, so the battle wasn’t an utter nightmare. Scrappy affair and the better tacticians will come out top. Clear victory on my first go.

Siege of Gergovia 7(8)/10
    Fairly straightforward. The superior Gauls charge at you from both sides, they are more numerous and experienced. Resilience is the key, resist they charges and the day will be yours. Close defeat on my first go.

Battle of Carrhae 8/10
    One of the battles that gets easier with experience. You’re without any cavalry is a kick in the teeth. Failed spectacularly in my first attempt.

BI

Battle of Chalons 6/10
    By the time I played Chalons I was already an experienced RTW player, horse-archer tactics weren’t new to me and I handled the battle quite smoothly. The Horse Archers peppered the heavy infantry as they came, the spearmen formed scholdrilmes (spell?) on top of the hill, while my heavy cavalry lay on the flanks and ready charge in. Comfortable victory on first go.

Battle of Baddon hill 8/10
    Not one of my favourites. Lost my patients at the start and charged in blindly with all my troop across the river. Clear defeat.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

My fav has to be Chalons. The Romans are obliterated and i enjoy doing it.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?