Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sab'yn Status

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Sab'yn Status

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    So, no more Sabaean (light) Archers?

Well, I'll be happy whether you give Saba's troops javelins or not. Gameplay wise the Arabian cavalry kinda sucks without javelins. Still, historical accuracy is better than gameplay. After all, this isn't Starcraft (EB II looks much better than Starcraft II).
    Well I'm thinking of still including them as part of the communal levy. But keep them rare as archery especially in the poor classes was (to quote Qwerty) 'frowned upon'. They usually were nothing but hunting tools.

On cavalry just like in EB I a great part of the Sabaean cavalry will be light bedouin mercenaries, but some light sabaean cavalry is planned as well as some heavier cavalry. Perhaps also a heavier more parthian/persian influenced local cavalry unit might be avaible in Arabia as well. It will depend on how many slots we'll get.

Edit: of course there'll be slingers as well.
    Last edited by Moros; 04-12-2009 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    For example the book of Beeston. Who mentions cavalry harassing enemies. The bow on the other hand will be mostly reserved for elite units. As shown in warrior freezes.
    Well, we hear of cavalry harassing enemies, but that doesn't necessarily imply any sort of missile use. Given the absolutely tiny cavalry contingents that were included in pre-Islamic Arabian armies - a few examples list 26 horse to 300 infantry, 40 to 1500, and 26 to 1000 - it seems very likely that these were only the absolute richest members of the expeditionary force who operated on horseback alongside the commander. Our other information about cavalry does not imply missile usage, and given such minuscule numbers, I find it hard to justify the inclusion of a missile cavalry unit.

Thanks for all the hard work and research guys. I cannot wait to see what my favorite faction will look like when EBII comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    Well, we hear of cavalry harassing enemies, but that doesn't necessarily imply any sort of missile use. Given the absolutely tiny cavalry contingents that were included in pre-Islamic Arabian armies - a few examples list 26 horse to 300 infantry, 40 to 1500, and 26 to 1000 - it seems very likely that these were only the absolute richest members of the expeditionary force who operated on horseback alongside the commander. Our other information about cavalry does not imply missile usage, and given such minuscule numbers, I find it hard to justify the inclusion of a missile cavalry unit.
    the missile cavalry will not be Sabaean, rather bedouin. And especially in more northern arabia missiles were much more common. Also why would one of the most basic weapons, cheapest also, not be used? Surely they wouldn't be too vain.

Also how would you see a small force of cavalry harassing a large army if not with missiles?

Also how would you see a small force of cavalry harassing a large army if not with missiles?
    By disrupting formations and attacking a few infantry soldiers and then retreating, without getting into a real melee.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

the missile cavalry will not be Sabaean, rather bedouin. And especially in more northern arabia missiles were much more common. Also why would one of the most basic weapons, cheapest also, not be used? Surely they wouldn't be too vain.
    Okay, that sounds good. All I'm saying is that we hear of tiny cavalry contingents, dozens at most, in southern Arabian armies, and whenever we see them depicted, they are shown as lancer cavalry, and our poetic evidence suggests that they only ever fought as lancer cavalry.

As Mediolanicus says, engaging briefly when an opening is spotted and then retreating.

Also I believe to have seen a couple of different petroglyphs what may be depicting javelin cavalry. Of course this would be bedouin and more northern. (a safaitic one and one thumadic.)

Also I believe to have seen a couple of different petroglyphs what may be depicting javelin cavalry. Of course this would be bedouin and more northern. (a safaitic one and one thumadic.)
    Which ones would those be? I know of a few more northerly ones that show camel wrangling where the men wield their spears overhand, but there's nothing to indicate that they may be javelins.

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    Which ones would those be? I know of a few more northerly ones that show camel wrangling where the men wield their spears overhand, but there's nothing to indicate that they may be javelins.
    Yeah I've seen one or two of those as well. Also I said may be javelins, they could be overhand spears as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123