Thread: Updating nationality traits during game

Default Updating nationality traits during game

Every faction has its own cultural/nationality traits for every familiy member.
    For instance, Greek generals may be Spartans or Bosphorans, while Seleucid generals may be Persians, Armenians, Macedonians etc.

However, as in history happened, I thought that a faction may "unlock" other nationality traits after conquering and assimilating a region.
    I.e. the Seleucids conquer Carthage, after 10/20 years they will be able to get Puno-Hellenic or Carthaginian husbands for their family women; or the Celtic factions may obtain Celto-Hellenic or Italo-Hellenic generals if they conquer Greece/Italy and mantain them for a number of turns (in order to simulate the progressive assimilation of the conquered people).
    Obviously they won't be available until that moment, unless a player trains a client ruler.
    Simply I thought that having a great empire but generals from only few regions of it, after some years, was a little unrealistic.
    Otherwise factions like the Eastern Greek ones shouldn't have Egyptians, Bactrians, Indians, Sogdians, Syrians etc. in the family but only Macedonian generals.

Is possible to script something like this?
    Last edited by Connacht; 12-17-2008 at 11:15.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Updating nationality traits during game

Maybe possible though recruiting in some area, scripted in export_descr_VnVs or else (never try to change most M2TW files except EDU and EDB). I remember my english campaign on vanilla M2TW (not kingdoms), when I got a family member comes of age in Nottingham upwards (including scotland), and scotland still exist, they will got "hate Scots" traits, if they are born in Caen, france, italy, or jerusalem, they won't hate Scots. I think EB II team will just try to implement the condition... but I'm not 100% sure...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Member Member Gatalos de Sauromatae's Avatar

Nice idea and will be great for role-play!
    Drunken chieftan said: Where the hell are those stupid horsemen of mine?
    One of horsemen replied: We are all here, sir! However, you can't see us because you were fallen from your horse, sir.

Blog Entries

I think it would be. After all, it recognises when you conwuer a particular territory (With the information about each territory traits). Also, great idea!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I believe the plans for ethnicity traits in EB2 is to have only one group (not a group for every different faction) and some factions will gain access to some new ones as they expand. Of course, certain factions will never get access to some, based on historical accuracy.

Although, I think ethnicities are still in the concepting stage.

MAA: What do you mean with only one group of ethnicities?
    This space intentionally left blank.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    MAA: What do you mean with only one group of ethnicities?
    In EB1, every faction has its own group of ethnicities that work for only that faction. The discussion I recall was about having one group which every faction used.

What if you bribe an enemy general. If he has kids, do you get access to his nationality and such? -Leon

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    In EB1, every faction has its own group of ethnicities that work for only that faction. The discussion I recall was about having one group which every faction used.
    That sounds very interesting. Though of course as you say some restrictions would have to remain. For example, I don´t think the Romans would historically have taken in any of the Carthaginians or the Puno-somethings.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Question Re: Updating nationality traits during game

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    What if you bribe an enemy general. If he has kids, do you get access to his nationality and such?
    And his surname?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Updating nationality traits during game

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    That sounds very interesting. Though of course as you say some restrictions would have to remain. For example, I don´t think the Romans would historically have taken in any of the Carthaginians or the Puno-somethings.
    Perhaps not in 200 B.C., but in 272 B.C. the enmity between Roma and Carthage had not started yet. Also, wasn't Emperor Septimus Severus from Libya?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Perhaps not in 200 B.C., but in 272 B.C. the enmity between Roma and Carthage had not started yet. Also, wasn't Emperor Septimus Severus from Libya?
    Yes, Septimius Severus was from Leptis Magna.

True, but seeing as I don't think there´s a single recorded event in which the Romans allowed a non-Roman to control a Roman army, I'd be perfectly happy if the Romans didn't get access to any foreign ethnicities at all.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Updating nationality traits during game

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    True, but seeing as I don't think there´s a single recorded event in which the Romans allowed a non-Roman to control a Roman army, I'd be perfectly happy if the Romans didn't get access to any foreign ethnicities at all.
    I can think of several examples, but these were all during the Empire. Point taken.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

You know...I think that in the future whenever I am attempting to get a point across I will end my argument with yelling "Take point!".

Yes, a good idea.
    The Appomination

Exclamation Re: Updating nationality traits during game

I'm thinking that once you bribe an enemy general into your family, he could be given a simple trait entitled "foreigner" or something of the sort. But this would be largely unsatisfying... In EB1, I generally gave bribed generals an ethnicity trait through RomeShell.

Quote Originally Posted by Appo
    You know...I think that in the future whenever I am attempting to get a point across I will end my argument with yelling "Take point!".

Yes, a good idea.
    Wow, that was a spammy comment. (Take Point!)
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 12-19-2008 at 21:57.

Well after my test game as the Aedui where i bribed roman generals so they could have children. It appears that the children do not have a nationality trait at all. Neither gaulic nor roman. Shame, is there any way to add one? -Leon

Am I remembering right that in EB2 the trait system will be different, more complex but more fruitful?

Different, yes. More complex? Perhaps. Some parts will be less complex. The total may be more complex. More fruitful? I have no idea what you mean.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Leon_Corona View Post
    Well after my test game as the Aedui where i bribed roman generals so they could have children. It appears that the children do not have a nationality trait at all. Neither gaulic nor roman. Shame, is there any way to add one? -Leon
    You can give them a nationality trait via console command.
    For example: give_trait "Tancogeistla aeduimocFergalos" AeduiBrannovici
    Just look in export_descr_character_traits.txt for the right ethnicity and in descr_names.txt for the name.

By the way, that way you can also change nationality during a campaign:
    give_trait "Tancogeistla aeduimocFergalos" AeduiBrannovici -1
    give_trait "Tancogeistla aeduimocFergalos" AeduiAedui

Now your Brannovici FM is an Aedui.

You could also use ethnicities from other factions and have greek or persian FMs, but that could produce strange results as ethnicities determine some other traits. Also the ethnicities for Pahlava and the Romans change the displayed name of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Different, yes. More complex? Perhaps. Some parts will be less complex. The total may be more complex. More fruitful? I have no idea what you mean.
    By fruitful I mean you can do more with the traits then you could before in EB1 such as the whole changing nationality trait in game. If I had bribed a Carthaginian general I would love it for him to remain as a Carthaginian but have his son have duel "Carthaginian + Roman" nationality, and then the grandson to be fully assimilated into Roman culture and thus be recognized as a "Roman" general.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Well, Bribed generals should be still a bribed general with his native nationality, If a Carthaginian general bribed by romans, his sons will have the half-blood, if that general married with roman girl... But anyway, there was more interesting if you can put some scriptig and made a bribed general just general, and not "Family members" except you delibrately marry him with one of your daughter.

And I hope that the Adoption and Son-in-laws are affected as well, so when I conquer a Getai Province, I can have one Getai Son-in-law...

But to implement the Half-blood and mixing race, it would be as well if the Photos can be mixed as well, it was very funny (but illogical) when you see someone who has Arabian Blood looks like a Blonde barbarians.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Blog Entries

The photos/names can't be changed for FMs of different nationalities, e.g. a Barbaroi client king of the Romani will have a Romani name. Sorry.
    Last edited by Subotan; 12-30-2008 at 19:31.

Thumbs up Re: Updating nationality traits during game

Quote Originally Posted by ACIN
    By fruitful I mean you can do more with the traits then you could before in EB1 such as the whole changing nationality trait in game. If I had bribed a Carthaginian general I would love it for him to remain as a Carthaginian but have his son have duel "Carthaginian + Roman" nationality, and then the grandson to be fully assimilated into Roman culture and thus be recognized as a "Roman" general.
    That would so kool. What of their surnames, I wonder? Will they remain the same, or will he be given a random Roman name eventually?
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 12-30-2008 at 22:37. Reason: Cleared up my post.

Blog Entries

I suppose it might be possible to have some choosing to adapt a Roman name, and get absorbed into Roman society, whilst with others, they could be proud of their roots and retain their Qarthadesti name, and influence penalty...

Question Re: Updating nationality traits during game

That would be pretty kool. Is it possible to implement?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

From Leptis Magna.

not only that, but he spoke Punic as his first language. he had a thick punic accent in his latin too.

now to get the book and quote it.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 12-31-2008 at 02:59.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Doesn't matter if you qoute it, ye olde Septimus became Augustus 193AD!!!
    What the Romans did 193AD is of no consequence to EBII. At all. No foreigner was ever, ever allowed to command a Roman army during the Roman Republic and for the better part of the Roman Empire as well. For indeed, Septimius was a Roman citizen, since the definition of what it meant to be a Roman had changed since the Republic, but you still had to be a Roman to control Rome's armies.
    And no foreigner would ever, ever ever evere verve rver ve rver ver veever verevv ever have been allowed to command a legion of Senatus Populusque Romanus.
    Therefore I urge that the Romani faction should not be able to obtain any ethnicities at all, but only the various family traits currrently in place in EB.
    Last edited by General Appo; 01-03-2009 at 22:03.
    The Appomination

Yeah, this is like pretending that one "Obama" could be president of the USA in XIX century.
    A funny joke.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Do not worry. It can be modded but mostly it may be an unofficial submod. I do not think that EB team's module will not be so extended to represent this for historical accuracy.
    It depend on common agreement, coding is the easiest part for traits that can be modded and triggered according to available events like "foreigner" trait you can trigger on this trait other nationality traits.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 03-15-2009 at 19:47.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill