Thread: Vatican forgives Galileo after only 400 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Vatican forgives Galileo after only 400 years

Always one step ahead of the times, the Roman Catholic church finally forgives Galileo for trying to understand the universe and not blindly trust everything the Bible says.

Editorial, stop reading here if you're squeamish about hearing heretical and differing opinions:

In 1992, Pope John Paul had the belated wisdom to suggest Galileo's heretic status and life imprisonment sentence was an "error" and a "misunderstanding". The current Pope decided to forgive Galileo for the deadly sin of questioning church authority.

I understand that religious members here take their faith very seriously, and although we will disagree on issues, I respect our honest disagreements, because you aren't attempting to try me as a heretic against your religion. The Roman Catholic church itself, however, is irredeemable in my opinion, for it's long history of crimes against humanity and it's authoritarian control of those who simply want to worship Jesus and God.

I have slightly more respect for this Pope, however the church as an organization is as stubborn and backward as ever. I am pleased that Protestants once decided that they could serve God and also disagree with the Papal hierarchy at the same time. I am pleased that progressive reforms and moral leadership have both brought us to the point where I can walk freely down the street, never once pressured to show support to a religion I disagree with, never once forced to tithe, never once threatened for trusting science and questioning religious authority. I am pleased that I can sit here in the comfort of my own home and openly defy most everything the church teaches, and without hesitation boldly disagree whenever someone clothed in holy robes delivers their opinions, and at the end of the day, shake hands, laugh it off, and respectfully and honorably coexist with these people.

In the end, what matters most is that we respect one another's rights as human beings, and agree to disagree. When in comes right down to it, we are all human beings, and if someone or something was threatening the life, liberty, or rights of religious people, I will be on the front line defending you up and down. In my opinion, the Catholic church has a storied history of ignoring such a code, and conveniently ignores the rights of man whenever someone disagrees with them. I find much of their history distasteful, their preachings hypocritical, some illogical or self-contradictory, and their wealth and power obscene.

That being said, I appreciate the fact that most people have grown beyond the hatred, both of the irreligious and towards the religious. While I eagerly anticipate further progressive reforms of the Roman Catholic church, I still hold the opinion that the world would be better off without such a Papal authority. I know many will disagree, and perhaps they need the structure and guidance the church provides. I simply contend that there are many flawed methods, arguments, and teachings such a church can do without.

I thank you for allowing me to say this without burning me at the stake or beheading me. God Bless America, from someone who believes in only 1 out of 3.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 12-24-2008 at 07:48.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vatican forgives Galileo after only 400 years

1) Link does not work.

2) Though I agree with many of the precepts of catholicism, it is things like this which boggle my mind regarding the Papacy. I am astonished and, as a Catholic, embarrassed that it took so long for something like this.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Until 1966 there was still a list of banned books.

The link works now.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Hmm, heresy is tricky. If you believe that Roman doctrine and Papal authority are necessary then heresy is very dangerous. Preaching heresy is spiritual mass-murder, which is worse than the bodily kind in such a context. The upside to heresy is that unlike bodily death it can be recanted.

In such a context the harsh punishment of heretics might seem to make a certain kind of sense, especially when death by burning was considered to purify; so that even the heretic himself might be saved.

The percieved problem with this is the question of who decides you are a heretic, the Roman Church has a history of burning people as heretics and then frantically looking for their unmarked grave a generation later in order to have something to put in the relequiy for their new church. For the uninishiated, I am talking about canonisation as saints.

Of course this isn't a problem at all for the souls concerned, after all, "Kill them all and let God sort them out" is theologically robust in its own dark way.

So the bigger issue here is that Galileo was neglected for so long before the Church finally admitted its mistake.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

EDIT: This post appears to be "missed" by many, so I'll bold and underline it...

I believe Galileo was technically forgiven in 1741 by Pope Benedict XIV.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 12-26-2008 at 06:14.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Yeah, funny thing about heresy: if your own religion started as a heresy of another earlier religion (which most of them did do), what posssible leg has any heretic to stand on? Hypocrisy? Inconsistency?

Ha!
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The current Pope decided to forgive Galileo for the deadly sin of questioning church authority.

How very generous of him

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    EDIT: This post appears to be "missed" by many, so I'll bold and underline it...

I believe Galileo was technically forgiven in 1741 by Pope Benedict XIV.
    It was a rather informal one.

My kingdom for a .

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

The Pope is missing the point.....Galileo has nothing to be forgiven for....

now if all of us forgive the Church for what it did to Galileo....now that´s another matter.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

now if all of us forgive the Church for what it did to Galileo....now that´s another matter.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings toward Papal Authority. That and this song.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: Vatican forgives Galileo after only 400 years

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Quote for the win.

The Church's authority was diminishing because the act of questioning in this instance has been proven so well to be correct. This has given leverage to other questions. So it is a matter of self preservation to remove this as a 'bad act' so that it stops giving momentum to other questing.

To be so categorically wrong in something that has such easy physical substance to measure would take a toll on its authority in all arenas. So this isn't just a matter of doing the right thing for the right thing. It is a act of self preservation.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I wonder what the Catholic church says about the Inquisition in general?

Man I have problems with institutionalised religion. Makes me cringe; its just men pretending to have God's authority to bend the will of men and therefore gain power for themselves.
    I support Israel

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

No hard feelings?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

In 400 years, I might be able to forgive the Catholic church for the things it does today.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Meh. The Pope to most Catholics can be equated to the Royal Family of the UK, quaint but ultimately worthless.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    In 400 years, I might be able to forgive the Catholic church for the things it does today.
    You could go one, or severall, better and forgive them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    Meh. The Pope to most Catholics can be equated to the Royal Family of the UK, quaint but ultimately worthless.
    Really? Most of the Catholics I know take him pretty seriously.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    You could go one, or severall, better and forgive them right now.

Really? Most of the Catholics I know take him pretty seriously.
    well there technically is somewhere around a Billion Catholics, out of that handful some probably do take him seriously; but my distinct impression from the majority of the ones of I've met really could care less.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    No hard feelings?
    BLARGH!