Thread: Help me bring back MTW to its own section!

Lightbulb Help me bring back MTW to its own section!

Dear MTW-folk...

Help me, help yourselves to stop this current insanity before its too late... Whoever you are, now is truly the time to step up! Logg in/sign up your lurking ass, and get over HERE and vote back our MTW-section! I'm serious here. We have this one chance until the 26th Oct - then that chance is gone - forever. Its literately now or never folks! I mean, which true MTW-enthusiast will in their right mind be opposed to expanding the coverage and overview of their fave TW-game on the index?! Who? That makes zero sense...

To get our section back, vote only 2C, 3B - as no other alternative offered there will actually deliver or support that. Again, we probably won't get another shot at this...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-14-2016 at 11:35.

Default Re: Help me bring back MTW to its own section!

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    To get our section back, vote only 2C, 3B - as no other alternative offered there will actually deliver or support that. Again, we probably won't get another shot at this...
    I'm not fully get it. Would it be a huge difference between 2b and 2c? It's a bit hard to picture it for me. Could you post any examples because explanation like "similar to how Warhammer Total War was before it was collapsed into sub-forums." says nothing to me. Would it be the same as game categories are now but with more links to sub-forums (more than actual three: Multiplayer, Modifications and Guides)?
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Regardless of your vote, please do vote, fellow Org members. We need your input.

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Well... 2C, 3B is all about...

The rest is essentially about...

Include all other TW-games above RTW1 (+ another EB-mod) on that index, and you can't implode the section/category and tailor things to the stuff that actually interest you. Now, pick whatever alternative here that strikes you as the most reasonable, serious and attractive - especially for a supposed TW-site.

I know I have...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 10-16-2016 at 18:27. Reason: Better English...

Member thankful for this post:

Stazi 

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I'm not fully get it. Would it be a huge difference between 2b and 2c? It's a bit hard to picture it for me. Could you post any examples because explanation like "similar to how Warhammer Total War was before it was collapsed into sub-forums." says nothing to me. Would it be the same as game categories are now but with more links to sub-forums (more than actual three: Multiplayer, Modifications and Guides)?
    Reverting the index to how it was before the grouping of the games together + the grouping of the mods together, is a step in the right direction.

It will not however be the magic bullet to solve the .org's problems and bring in new people or bring back old people.

Ax's first screenshot is something to aim for, except "general discussion" should be renamed to "main hall". The general modding forums and the MP forum also had special names which really should be restored.

Sadly there was some kind of vote, a number of years ago I believe, and those names were removed in favour of more generic ones. Because .org is essentially made up of many sub-communities, and always has been, this should not have happened in my opinion. .org is also a relic of a forum and quite dear to many. It has been going since 1999 - before the first game was even released - and many of it's traditions, names and practices should be held sacred.

What is needed at the .org is a system which benefits the sub communities and ensure that someone who only posts in the gameroom/frontroom/backroom is not making decisions which impact your chosen sub forum (interestingly those forums kept their names...).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofxmaspast View Post
    What is needed at the .org is a system which benefits the sub communities and ensure that someone who only posts in the gameroom/frontroom/backroom is not making decisions which impact your chosen sub forum...
    A small detail that I also have noticed for some time now... (bolding mine)

- A

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

After this vote, given that some patrons have expressed this feature to return, we will perhaps revert to the old names such as Main Hall, Colosseum and the likes.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    After this vote, given that some patrons have expressed this feature to return, we will perhaps revert to the old names such as Main Hall, Colosseum and the likes.
    When did that change? I don't think I was here all that long but I remember those designations. Being broke down has definite advantages - for one, many people ask a question about one game and people trying to reply don't know which one they are talking about. Gets to be a royal pain in the butt.

I'm a bit dumb though; it's unclear to me where one goes to vote (I tried a link at one point but it didn't seem to be right?). EDIT: Oh never mind banner at the top (duh!) - well, the bit dumb part still applies
    Last edited by LordK9; 10-21-2016 at 00:09.

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    When did that change? I don't think I was here all that long but I remember those designations.
    Most likely this changed because many old members moved on and newer members felt little attachment to those names.

I'm all for democracy in the real world, but not on web forum. It's been tried and it doesn't work. Putting it to the vote and then executing based on the outcome is flawed, because a week later the vote could produce a completely different outcome. Does one then continue running ballots and changing back and forth endlessly?

The nature of forums are that threads get missed, people can be absent for weeks or months and the result is that not everyone has their say/vote. It's then typically only those who strongly want to get something changed who get actively involved and vote.

This is why change has to be measured, careful and well thought out.

The .org and every single member should be considered before radical changes are made. It's not for a few members to vote on these issues nor is it for a select few staff to make changes based on this or personal preference. Remember that staff move on and often don't have to live with the consequences.

My position is simple: The board layout should revert back and the only small change/improvement would be to bundle the mods in their own categories with those games rather than keeping them separate. This should be based on discussion and proper investigation by the admin, not the currently running poll.

Similarly the "toys" which were introduced with vbulletin 4(?) several years ago (software which members donated to), should be disabled and the board needs to get back to it's simple roots and discard social network style gadgetry. Posts need to be be in the forums, but on profiles or in "social groups". The main page should also go and forums.totalwar.org should go straight to the index.
    Last edited by ghostofxmaspast; 10-21-2016 at 14:33.

Ok, the vote is over... And this new place is soon 100% set to go...

We did get the dedicated section, but we didn't get it fully expanded - unfortunately. I did fight hard for it - as there actually was a majority for that expansion amongst the MTW-actives - but in the end Admin refused to give in. Despite all valid reasons I throwed at them. It is what it is... No matter...

Now, all my fighting with admin have resulted in something however - several corrections and improved clarity overall, and we have been granted a general modding sub-section for MTW1 - which is there on trial at my request. I suggest you guys use it - because it is not to be taken for granted, I fought hard for that thing - so make some good use of it - please...

The good news... This new MTW1-area we got now, is probably the largest and most extensive section for MTW1-stuff currently available on the planet. ...That's right. Use it folks, and it will last, maybe even grow (that's the plan). If you don't, it will disappear and probably never return to this state. As it is, you guys hold its destiny in your hands. Either you read, get active here and essentially post the hell out of this place - and it (this section) will prosper. Or... If you don't, it won't prosper, but slowly die. Its your call folks....

Signing off,

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-08-2016 at 19:29.

Reviving this thread because I am happy to be able to return to the Org from time to time to find a fully functional forum and, as Axalon has stated, "the largest and most extensive section for MTW1 stuff on the planet..." We are very lucky on that score, and thanks for everyone who voted to make it so. I do still miss the Main Hall....but we really can't complain.

I also want to throw out a huge thanks to @drone who has worked here tirelessly for years.

At this time, I should also say that posting with *mutual respect and civility to all* will go furthest in making sure this place is around for years to come. We are all here because we enjoy the game in all its incarnations. Why not band together?

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    I should also say that posting with *mutual respect and civility to all* will go furthest in making sure this place is around for years to come.
    Hi

I absolutely agree with this statement. Flaming other posters and using derogatory and insulting language will surely sound the death knell for our small MTW community.

Best regards
    VictorGB

Sapere aude
    Horace

It's crazy to think how old this game is and it's still my favorite PC game. I have a old desktop computer that I keep just for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro