Thread: More proof (as if it was even needed) that Canadians are the coolest...

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default More proof (as if it was even needed) that Canadians are the coolest...

One of our premiers (the equivalent of a state governor, for you yanks) still mixes it up for a little fistycuffs as needed for the benefit of his teammates:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    NWT premier gets three-game suspension for dropping the gloves
    • <LI class=currentPageType _counted="undefined"> Article <LI class=last _counted="undefined"> Comments (8)
    ANDY BLATCHFORD
    THE CANADIAN PRESS
    January 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM EST

Few will mistake him for Dave “The Hammer” Schultz, but opponents may think twice before dropping the gloves with Northwest Territories Premier Floyd Roland.
    The hulking Roland, who spends evenings patrolling the blue-line for a “B” division hockey team in Yellowknife, squared off Sunday with a feisty forward on the opposing squad.
    The Yellowknife Rec Hockey League had no choice but to come down hard on the territorial premier — it handed him a three-game suspension.
    “The game got a bit aggressive,” Mr. Roland admitted to The Canadian Press in an interview from Edmonton on Wednesday.

Enlarge Image Northwest Territories Premier Floyd Roland (left) is greeted by Prime Minister Stephen Harper before the provincial and territoral first ministers meeting in Ottawa on Friday, Jan. 11, 2008. (The Canadian Press)

“I did my job as a defenceman, separated a fellow from the puck a couple of times and he took exception to that. He got aggressive with me.
    “I kept playing my game, which means when things got a little more heated, I stayed in the battle.”
    Mr. Roland, 47, who joined the Black Knights at the start of the season, thinks of himself as more of a puck-moving defenceman rather than a goon.
    Still, he's never been afraid to dance.
    He rumbled on occasion during his days in the chippy men's senior league in Inuvik, but said this was his first fight in more than a decade.
    In fact, Mr. Roland, who stands nearly 6-4 and tops 200 pounds, said this was his first hockey bout since being elected to the territorial legislature in 1995.
    “I've been into the heated discussions and the shoving going back and forth, but this is the first time that I've actually dropped the gloves,” said Mr. Roland, who doesn't plan to appeal his mandatory three-game suspension.
    “It's the rules of the game.”
    The modest premier tried to play down the clash and wouldn't say if he won the dust-up.
    “I didn't come away with any bruises, it wasn't much of a fight, it was more of a skirmish,” said Mr. Roland, who was en route to Ottawa for this week's first ministers' meeting.
    He also doesn't think his antics will intimidate his rivals in the political arena.
    “It may get a few laughs at my meetings coming up,” he said. “I don't think it will cause any more than that.”
    The president of the local referees association said Mr. Roland's tussle has been the talk of the town in Yellowknife, which is home to about 20,000 people.
    “Being the premier, everyone's surprised that he did drop the gloves, but he's a hockey player, so it's not a problem,” said Greg Cameron, who filed the official suspension request to the league.
    “It was just a little hockey fight, that's all.”
    Mr. Cameron didn't see the fisticuffs, but said he heard Roland won the decision over his smaller, younger opponent.
    The last-place Black Knights (1-13) will have to take to the ice without the premier until at least Jan. 28, but that doesn't mean the league hasn't given the premier some preferential treatment.
    The league's website lists the names of suspended players, but instead of Roland's name, officials typed in “#66.”
    “He's the premier, they're just giving him a little bit of a break there, I guess,” said Cameron.
    “But everyone knows about it. It's a small town, word travels pretty quick. It's hockey, that's all it is.”
    The suspension list named Roland's opponent as Jeremiah Donahue of Talbot's Maple Leafs.
    The Canadian Press contacted Maple Leafs captain Dean MacInnis for the team's side of the story.
    In an e-mail response, Mr. MacInnis said he didn't want to comment on the fight.
    “What happens on the ice — stays on the ice,” he wrote.

Outstanding!
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: More proof (as if it was even needed) that Canadians are the coolest...

I love politicians who seem like normal people!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Default Re: More proof (as if it was even needed) that Canadians are the coolest...

The mayor of pittsburgh, Luke Ravenstahl, is changing his name to Luke Steelerstahl for this weekend

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Gah. Our former deputy PM traded punches with a voter whilst campaigning for a general election.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Gah. Our former deputy PM traded punches with a voter whilst campaigning for a general election.
    Still got nothing on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Shawinigan Handshake I'll have to remember that. Also a past PM told another MP to, ahem, *intercourse* off in a parlimentary session. To this day it's recorded officially as fuddle duddle. He also kicked a talk show host in the pills for harasing him. Ah Trudeau, more style than you.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt05KC3Add8

Big Bad John.

Texas wins again!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post

Big Bad John.

Texas wins again!
    I will never get sick of Big Bad John.

I think I've told the story of one of our Ex-Prime Ministers (Bob Hawke) holding the world record for the fastest time downing a yard-glass of beer. 1.7 litres (3 imperial pints) in 11 seconds...

Are we counting former politicians as well? If so it is damn hard to beat former leader of the Opposition Mark Latham. Who, amongst other things, is known (After leaving politics) for punching a taxi driver and assaulting a journalist and smashing his camera with a hammer.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post

Big Bad John.

Texas wins again!
    Actually, thinking about it, I don't know if Canada can ever top a country who's VP shoots his friend in the face while out hunting...

Dang...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    Actually, thinking about it, I don't know if Canada can ever top a country who's VP shoots his friend in the face while out hunting...

Dang...
    And don't forget, the VP then got the guy he shot to apologize for being in the line of fire.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

More proof (as if it was even needed) that Canadians are the coolest...
    OK, but can you keep your dad-blasted geese up there, and off our airport runways and flyways? Cheese 'n Rice, your illegal immigrants are wreaking havoc down here! http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...50E8AI20090116

Full Disclosure: I was almost Canadian once.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Are we counting former politicians as well? If so it is damn hard to beat former leader of the Opposition Mark Latham. Who, amongst other things, is known (After leaving politics) for punching a taxi driver and assaulting a journalist and smashing his camera with a hammer.
    I remember that. But he is a damned boofhead; look at the stuff he wrote and the poltical crap he took for that.

Another one is Kim Beazly; he threatened to knee a jounralist/comedian in the head; though they had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Warluster View Post
    Another one is Kim Beazly; he threatened to knee a jounralist/comedian in the head; though they had it coming.
    The comedians (Assuming we are talking about The Chaser incident?) actually were fairly disappointed it didn't happen. I also assume Beazley was joking.

Man ALP politicians are great. Except Rudd... Though now that I think about it the Scores debacle may make him somewhat interesting.
    Last edited by CountArach; 01-16-2009 at 08:19.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Here is our president's skateboard fail, obviously the dutch are the coolest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEbZhOjgjdw

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball
    Proof.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Here is our president's skateboard fail, obviously the dutch are the coolest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEbZhOjgjdw
    Our former PM's bowling fail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8by05rtMY

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Our former PM's bowling fail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8by05rtMY
    Our president elect's bowling fail.

*I was surprised to discover, when I viewed the entire video, that I've actually bowled there before....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

or maybe not....

A British man who was injured while working in Canada has been deported because authorities concluded keeping him in the country would be an economic burden for taxpayers.

Chris Mason, 36, was ordered deported to the United Kingdom after Canadian immigration officials determined that granting the wheelchair-bound man permanent resident status would create an undue economic burden.

Border services agents took Mason to Winnipeg's James Richardson International Airport on Monday and put him on a flight to Manchester. Several of Mason's friends were at the airport to give him money and his belongings — but they were barred from seeing him. Mason had been in detention since last Wednesday.

Mason said he had no desire to return to England where he hasn't lived since he was a child. He lived with his father in Greece before coming to Canada in 2001.

Once here, he began working as a truck driver in Ontario and British Columbia before settling in Winnipeg. The long-haul trucker became a paraplegic after damaging his back on the job.

Mason was further injured in 2007 when he was hit by a taxi while leaving hospital and has been unable to work since.

He had been living in Canada illegally without a visa for more than two years and had been collecting social assistance while battling Manitoba's Public Insurance Corp. over injury benefits when his application for permanent resident status was denied.

"You'd think he was a terrorist," said his mother Gillian Kilford from Manchester. "He was injured during the course of this work. After a period of readjustment he went back to work. He paid taxes in Canada."

She said her son would face hardship finding wheelchair accessible accommodation in Britain. Her son would not be able to negotiate the stairs in her home, she said, adding she had no idea Monday where or when Mason would arrive back in the U.K. since no one from the Canada Border Services Agency had contacted her to make arrangements to greet him at any U.K. airport. "I expect they'll just dump him at immigration," she said.

Advocates for the disabled have been lobbying for Canada to amend the Immigration Act, removing a clause that says anyone who might cause undue economic demand on the social welfare system can be denied the right to live here.

Refugees, who can be injured before being admitted to Canada, are excluded from the "excessive demand" clause in the Immigration Act, but the clause applies to everyone else.

"The Immigration Act frankly prohibits people with disabilities from immigrating to Canada," said Laurie Beachell of Disabled People's International. "The effect would mean people like Stephen Hawking, world-renowned physicist, brilliant man, could never become Canadian."
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-deported.html

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."