Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about the pike units in M2

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: about the pike units in M2

I just curious which side has better pike handling technique? Macedonians or Swiss?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I do not think we can know, you could invent a time mascine and bring some of both forwards to have them compare techniques and fight, but apart from that I suspect our sources are lacking. Both kicked proverbial at their time, but were their enemies the same? What eventually did defeat both a Landsknecht pikeblock and a Macedonian Phanlanx was tough and well trained mobile inf with short weapons and shield. Ravenna and Kynoscephelai/Pydna.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

I'd say they beat themselves, reading on both.. Arrogance and inability to adapt, not necesarily the weapons.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikil100 View Post
    I'd say they beat themselves, reading on both.. Arrogance and inability to adapt, not necesarily the weapons.
    Agreed. I would still support the Swiss in a straight fight though. Better disciplined as well as being full time soldiers. If only we had a time machine with a large capacity!
    Last edited by Strategos Alexandros; 01-28-2009 at 21:13.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros View Post
    Agreed. I would still support the Swiss in a straight fight though. Better disciplined as well as being full time soldiers. If only we had a time machine with a large capacity!
    From an equipment standpoint, weren't the phalangites equipped with longer spears than the Swiss? That with a shield just makes me think the Swiss couldn't even get to the pikemen without heavy casualties, mostly cause they didnt have shields. This is probably just me loving the Diadochi in EBI.. I'm too biased. lol
    Last edited by mikil100; 01-29-2009 at 00:21.

Pike 3-6 m
    Sarissa 4-7 m

Armour of both antagonists would be about the same, Phalangites would have shields, Swiss pike would have people with Lucerne Hammers or Halbards mixed in, German Pike would have Zweihänder/Doppelsöldner, Tercios would have people with shield and sword, all for same purpose, breaking enemy formation by getting in amongst them and start the slaughter.

I cannot say who would win, except Roman Legions, English Longbow, HA, or the Tercios that defeated Pike at Ravenna, but they would beat both, while both would probably be close to equal in a head to head. Dunno, perhaps the "Block-breakers" would make the diference.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Well, let's hope that the Macedonian pezhetairoi's first line didn't sit down and crouch (like the swiss) when they are ordered to halt...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Exclamation Re: about the pike units in M2

That only happens when guard mode is on. If you remove their secondary weapons (the pigstickers), then take off guardmode, even the most basic militia pikemen become ice-cold mass murderers. It's scary, to be honest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12