Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your house rules for EB

Default Re: Your house rules for EB

I like training armies specific to nationality of my FMs or the city (Spartan hoplites in Sparta and led by Spartan, Indian units led by Indians, as Pahlava some FMs use steppe units, others Persians and so on),
    I also use most elite units only in armies of faction leader, heir or other importan characters,
    sometimes I roleplay a guard for influential diplomat
    I make expeditions led by FM - he leads an army, fights only Eleutheroi, finds new possibilities of expansion, trade...
    I limit mercenaries, only hire them as Celts, Germans or when I come across some new culture - I roleplay it as hiring a tribe or finding new allies, and I prefer hiring weaker units
    When I have selfless governor, his city can have max normal taxes.
    In battles I don'y wait for enemy to come, but I am offensive and when lines collide, archers and slingers withdraw.

my balloons

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

my only house rule is that after a battle (If I win), I get a money bonus arranged, to simulate looting of the dead.

otherwise, these days I don't really have rules.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    my only house rule is that after a battle (If I win), I get a money bonus arranged, to simulate looting of the dead.

otherwise, these days I don't really have rules.
    try the spoils of victory mod. it scripts this for you and adds new traits to your characters based off their personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmilt16 View Post
    try the spoils of victory mod. it scripts this for you and adds new traits to your characters based off their personalities.
    I was going to, but it overwrites the force diplomacy and city mod for some reason. maybe the computer is grouchy.

but the looting rules are fair, as the money is deduced from the average cost of dead units.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    but the looting rules are fair, as the money is deduced from the average cost of dead units.
    Well, not exactly. The script just look on the battle odds relative to number of your soldies, thus determining the approximate strenth of the enemy army (either lots of cheap units or not-so-many elites) and rewaring you with either 1000 or 3000 mnai and some cool (mostly temporary) traits for the general.

Anyway, try using the EB 1.2 minimod pack by LZ3. It includes Spoils of Victory and should be compatible with the City mod. I do not see how Spoils of Victory could overwrite Force Diplomacy as it uses different files.

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Well, not exactly. The script just look on the battle odds relative to number of your soldies, thus determining the approximate strenth of the enemy army (either lots of cheap units or not-so-many elites) and rewaring you with either 1000 or 3000 mnai and some cool (mostly temporary) traits for the general.

Anyway, try using the EB 1.2 minimod pack by LZ3. It includes Spoils of Victory and should be compatible with the City mod. I do not see how Spoils of Victory could overwrite Force Diplomacy as it uses different files.
    I was refering to my houserules, not the script...

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Ooppss! Sorry for that, Ibrahim, little too celf-centered I was. Nice house-rule of yours, though...

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Ooppss! Sorry for that, Ibrahim, little too celf-centered I was. Nice house-rule of yours, though...
    Nah! its ok. no one is perfect I guess

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Some good rules out there.

My main rules are:

- Never assassinate FMs or Generals unless in a very desperate situation (e.g. when playing Saka and having to deal with marauding AS generals who hire millions of mercenaries)

- If any faction manages to assassinate one of your FMs, destroy that faction ASAP. This is the only occasion on which I attack allied factions.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

I don't really have many house rules, just some I just "follow" since I don't know how not to.

1.) No Blitzing (I'm a turtler anyways)
    2.) No Creating full armies of elites or other really strong infantry (No Full armies of like Triarii for example.)
    3.) As Romans keep a mostly uniform army.
    4.) No "Very High Taxes" While at peace (not really enforced just trying it in my Aedui campaign.)
    5.) Only resort to war as a last resort, spend a few turns trying to work out a peaceful solution (LOL RTW AI)

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

I haven't tried this yet but it might be interesting to see how it works. For role-playing purposes, pick one family member and "play" him throughout the campaign (until he dies, of course).

This means: only fight the battles that he commands, only manage the settlements that he manages. Diplomatic, spying and assassination mission should not be restricted but always carry a diplomat and a spy (and an assassin too if that's how you like it) as the "Basileus' own".

If you want to go hard-core, give him an army and stick to that one for the duration of play.

It would be my version of a "Megas Alexandros" campaign.

Damn... now that I think about it, I'm going to try it and write an AAR from that.

Edit: Additionally, he doesn't have to be faction leader and if he isn't, you can limit his resources, decision-making authority, etc.
    I know, now I'm just blabbering.
    Last edited by Βελισάριος; 02-03-2009 at 04:14.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    I haven't tried this yet but it might be interesting to see how it works. For role-playing purposes, pick one family member and "play" him throughout the campaign (until he dies, of course).

This means: only fight the battles that he commands, only manage the settlements that he manages. Diplomatic, spying and assassination mission should not be restricted but always carry a diplomat and a spy (and an assassin too if that's how you like it) as the "Basileus' own".

If you want to go hard-core, give him an army and stick to that one for the duration of play.

It would be my version of a "Megas Alexandros" campaign.

Damn... now that I think about it, I'm going to try it and write an AAR from that.

Edit: Additionally, he doesn't have to be faction leader and if he isn't, you can limit his resources, decision-making authority, etc.
    I know, now I'm just blabbering.
    Actually this is a GREAT idea.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

Thanks very much, glad you like it.
    I just started with Epeiros and I'm playing the firstborn son, Ptolemaios. It's proving quite a challenge.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12