Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Emerging Factions (Rebels and Revolutions)

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default The Emerging Factions (Rebels and Revolutions)

My take on this , from what little we actually know, is that when a province rebels it becomes a nation and when your Capital rebels you have a revolution.

We know that you have a choice of the side to take in Revolutions and you may just have to put up with the end result if your forces loose.

We also know that if the American Colonies Rebel you may be able to play as them. The same may be true of other provinces, or even all of them…That would be why each province has its own Rebel Faction.

Of course I am only guessing here but I think that if you have conquered, for example ,France and it rebels then you have a reemerging faction on your hands, just like in old MTW.

On the other hand, I am wondering if there may be some special rebels. Like the Jacobites for example, which could crop up in a number of provinces.

I do recall a thread I looked at on the official site that said Ireland could become a nation. We also have a little blurb saying Scotland can become a nation. If the Jacobites are actually in the game this would not be the case if they were the winners. It would be a change in Kingship. It could be a tool for the French, Spanish, or even the Austrians to undermine Brittan with, or just a random event.

We have them hinted at in several places but what actually happens, at least for me, is wide open to speculation.

If we are very lucky it may be something some of our CA members can clarify. If it is a deep dark secret I suppose the final proof will come in March.

I could have easily missed some crucial phraseology in an article some where.

Who else has views on this subject?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: The Emerging Factions (Rebels and Revolutions)

I have views on it! I have views on everything.

Here's how I think this will work, in a point by point break down.

~ Each province will have it's own specific rebel faction (this has been confirmed by interview)

~ If your main province rebels then you iwll have a revolution on your hands.

~ If the lower class rebel it will result in a mass rebellion pushing for a Republic.

~ If the upper class rebel it will be an organised armed rebellion pushing for a monarchy, or a new king.

~ You can support either side, if your side loses then you just have to live with it, or you may lose the game, no one is sure.

~ In certain circumstances proper emergent factions can appear. Ones mentioned so for include The

~ Jacobites (or Scotland), Ireland and Greece and the Thirteen colonies. No one is sure if these are playable.

~ The Thirteen colonies may be, but no one is 100% sure.

~ I think Fisherking is right that old factions can re-emerge if their traditional provinces rebel. It will be like Medieval all over again!

So mostly I think Fisherking is right about everything, with the small exception that I'm not certain players will be given the option of playing as the US if they rebel. That might just be in the Road to Independance campaign.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 01-25-2009 at 14:09.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Emerging factions, rebels and revolutions will add a new dimension to the game. However, what I really dislike about Total War games in general, is the fact that when you reach a certain point in power and success, there is nothing there to put up a fight, to challenge you anymore. Consequently, all that remains is to, without major resistance, conquer the rest of the map.

The Emerging Factions should help overcome this dull fact. Also, it should be a great way to tear apart a stronger enemy.
    Hm... is it possible to "inspire" the potential rebels in a hostile faction to rebel? And if so, in what ways? Diplomacy?

Last edited by Pinxit; 01-25-2009 at 14:03.

I think Fisherking is right that old factions can re-emerge if there traditional provinces rebel. It will be like Medieval all over again!
    is the fact that when you reach a certain point in power and success, there is nothing there to put up a fight, to challenge you anymore
    Yes...speaking as someone who played MTW and took over Rome alot...I can say that having some random guy pop up every 10-14 years as the new faction ruler with a army of armed citizens at his command will try you in ways beyond military :P (i'm looking at you random hier appears pope faction.)

The Emerging Factions should help overcome this dull fact. Also, it should be a great way to tear apart a stronger enemy.
    Hm... is it possible to "inspire" the potential rebels to rebel? And if so, in what ways?
    Well, we know that the two ways the different classes rebel is Nobles send letters and peasant go on strike. Neither of which like taxes.

So I'd assume you could blockade economic centers, causing more people to go on strike, or since people like victories just conquer a bit of prime real estate.

There may be something the gentlemen or rake can do as no one is 100% sure on there actual missions yet other then broad spectrum.

I hope your right, as the most disappointing thing about Rome was that unless you played as a roman house the roman houses never tried to take over the senate. I'd like to see a few of the other factions have rebellions as well, would be nice.

*shudders dramatically* please dont tell me that factions will re-emerge like in Medieval 1...i got so sick of killing that darned pope (i swear he and his entire army were zombies) that i ended up surrounding rome with full stacks and blockading the province. i tended to do this to all factions actually-just surrounding their last province withj troops and occasionally raiding it to reduce their numbers. As you may have guesses, i do not want to see this again.
    That said, im looking forward to civil wars again-i dont know why, but something about my huge empire being rent into two huge warring superpowers makes me very excited. I used to try to start civil wars in medieval, but for some reason i very rarely could. Hopefully there'll be a cheat to trigger a civil war.

Not sure on cheat, but most gamers seem to understand the code and event code pretty good.

I'm sure there will be someway to adjust unrest in the capital to a level enough to start it, if just natural unrest dosn't do it.

I assume though civil war will be common, as revoultion seems to be a major aspect of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    Not sure on cheat, but most gamers seem to understand the code and event code pretty good.

I'm sure there will be someway to adjust unrest in the capital to a level enough to start it, if just natural unrest dosn't do it.

I assume though civil war will be common, as revoultion seems to be a major aspect of gameplay.
    Actually I'm betting they won't be common for the player unless they are deliberately trying to start one.

If Empire is anything like Rome and Medieval 2 then I won't be letting the happiness in my home province drop anywhere near low enough to trigger a civil war. My home provinces are always at 100% or higher, and I think most players are probably similar.

We might see the A.I constantly at war with itself however, since the A.I has never been great at managing anything much, and province loyalty is no exception.

@ Ishmael

If you really hate the idea of re-emerging factions then you can probably mod it out of the game. I hope the vanilla game has it however, because it is easier to mod it out than in.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Clearly to properly understand the depths of revoultion and province loyalty (yes your seeing a trend now) we clearly need

A DEMO

Clearly to properly understand the depths of revoultion and province loyalty (yes your seeing a trend now) we clearly need

A DEMO
    Why don’t you just make Demo your signature! It will save you a lot of time.

@ Sir Beane

I don’t know what game you were playing but at times in M2TW it took me years and years to get some places to rebel.

Some I had 100% converted and no improvements and it still was not enough!

I had to resort to herding in heretics in the end. And they had a tendency to die from old age on the way!

Have you ever tried to herd heretics? It isn’t fun and it is time consuming! Just finding one when you want it is a problem, not to mention inquisitors and AI bishops trying to get at them….

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Why don’t you just make Demo your signature! It will save you a lot of time.

@ Sir Beane

I don’t know what game you were playing but at times in M2TW it took me years and years to get some places to rebel.

Some I had 100% converted and no improvements and it still was not enough!

I had to resort to herding in heretics in the end. And they had a tendency to die from old age on the way!

Have you ever tried to herd heretics? It isn’t fun and it is time consuming! Just finding one when you want it is a problem, not to mention inquisitors and AI bishops trying to get at them….

Well it's a different manner when you want to get an A.I province to rebel. I'm sure some kind of code kicks in called 'frustrate the player' thus making all A.I provinces skyrocket to 200% loyalty.

If you aren't actively trying to cause a revolt though the A.I seems to hover at around 80% loyalty in many of it's provinces. This is usually a result of it not upgrading infrastructure or keeping cities properly garrisoned.

Also for herding heretics you need a special kind of dog. It's like a border collie except imbued with the righteous fury of the catholic church. I hear that it glows with holy power, which is useful for herding at night and also for keeping vampires away.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Why don’t you just make Demo your signature! It will save you a lot of time
    It is done but I assure you the demo mentions have only just begun

Oh onto topic.

Well it didn't happen in Rome because there was a factor based on Distance from Capital under unrest. This usually was the reason places revolted. It was reason people moved capitals.

So your capital wouldn't revolt because it usually had no Distance from Capital and usually it didn't have high corruption. Plus , as it is your Capital, Religion Unrest and Cultural Unrest were usually non exsistant :)

It is done but I assure you the demo mentions have only just begun

Oh onto topic.

Well it didn't happen in Rome because there was a factor based on Distance from Capital under unrest. This usually was the reason places revolted. It was reason people moved capitals.

So your capital wouldn't revolt because it usually had no Distance from Capital and usually it didn't have high corruption. Plus , as it is your Capital, Religion Unrest and Cultural Unrest were usually non exsistant :)
    Exactly, which is why I don't see civil war occuring very often for the player unless they are doing it deliberately. It's a good thing though, because despite what marketing hype might have you believe civil wars and revoutions were not all that common from 1700-1799. They happened, but not all the time everywhere.

Unless of course loyalty works somehwat differently in Empire, which it probably will.

I really want to post up a thread saying something like CA releases Empire Demo! Just for the inevitable storm of hatred and disappointment (which is always hilarious for a spectator.) Of course then I would be lynched (especially because I used my real location.)
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 01-26-2009 at 12:59.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

While slightly out of the time frame Sir Beane, your head would be sent to CA as a example of demo displeasure similiar to Braveheart (kidding of course....mostly :P)

On to topic.

I'd like to see two new stats, Liberty and Tyrranny, based on how you act as a ruler. Basically when you give freedoms, lower taxes, do nice stuff, Liberty goes up and people will not revolt but will demand more.

When you deny things, act without reason, or push down your iron fist, Tyrrany goes up. People are more likely to revolt, but will not demand liberties.

Or something similiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Well it's a different manner when you want to get an A.I province to rebel. I'm sure some kind of code kicks in called 'frustrate the player' thus making all A.I provinces skyrocket to 200% loyalty.

If you aren't actively trying to cause a revolt though the A.I seems to hover at around 80% loyalty in many of it's provinces. This is usually a result of it not upgrading infrastructure or keeping cities properly garrisoned.

Also for herding heretics you need a special kind of dog. It's like a border collie except imbued with the righteous fury of the catholic church. I hear that it glows with holy power, which is useful for herding at night and also for keeping vampires away.
    That was really no joke about herding heretics!

It is a variant on the surround and squish! You have to surround on three sides and steer the little fellow to where you want him to go.

Horsemen work best because they have more moves…of course you can set up relays to move them faster…

Sorry, no border collie units!

They say they have taken all the exploits out of this game. Ha! We think we have found at least one and we don’t have the game yet!

Just wait!

Mark Twain

They say they have taken all the exploits out of this game. Ha! We think we have found at least one and we don’t have the game yet!
    Yes and we could find more exploits.....if we had a demo ....o wait...that argument dosn't work

Okay on to topic at hand.

While I hope the emerging factions get enough units to start I hope they are not over power. It was kind of ridiculous how strong the Roman Britannia faction was , like 800 knights out of nowhere from a province of 100 spear men lol

Yes and we could find more exploits.....if we had a demo ....o wait...that argument dosn't work

Okay on to topic at hand.

While I hope the emerging factions get enough units to start I hope they are not over power. It was kind of ridiculous how strong the Roman Britannia faction was , like 800 knights out of nowhere from a province of 100 spear men lol
    The size of the emerging faction should be based on the population of the province, the level of infrastructure in the province, and how much the parent faction is hated by people in the province.

That way emergin factions would have a little realism, and not be able to magically summon things that the province could never train.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

The size of the emerging faction should be based on the population of the province, the level of infrastructure in the province, and how much the parent faction is hated by people in the province.

That way emergin factions would have a little realism, and not be able to magically summon things that the province could never train.

Yes but i'm not even sure what unique units they get. I mean if your greece, wouldn't you just get musket men in new uniforms?

Oh, and I'd like to magically summon............a demo

Yes but i'm not even sure what unique units they get. I mean if your greece, wouldn't you just get musket men in new uniforms?

Oh, and I'd like to magically summon............a demo
    Since it's Greece you get hoplites and you like it.

Scotland are emergent and I imagine they get a few unique units such as Clansmen. Who knows for the rest really?

I guess if we want to know more about the game we need some sort of method of playing the game before it is released.

Like a... sample, or a trial or maybe a ... demonstration?

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Welcome to the Demo Side of the Fanclub Sir Beane, your I heart Demo t-shirt awaits you

That said, clansmen sound cool, but i'm just not sure, I mean if they give all these melee units to everyone, I'm not sure they will help much in one on one battles against riflemen.

They may be a good general kill unit tho, if you can break them through the lines.

Welcome to the Demo Side of the Fanclub Sir Beane, your I heart Demo t-shirt awaits you

That said, clansmen sound cool, but i'm just not sure, I mean if they give all these melee units to everyone, I'm not sure they will help much in one on one battles against riflemen.

They may be a good general kill unit tho, if you can break them through the lines.
    I think they will be good for ambushes and sneak attacks, as well as well-timed charges used to break the enemy line and morale.

I don't mind if CA throw a few melee units around, it just adds a bit of flavor to a game mostly filled with guns and silly hats.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I think they will be good for ambushes and sneak attacks, as well as well-timed charges used to break the enemy line and morale.

I don't mind if CA throw a few melee units around, it just adds a bit of flavor to a game mostly filled with guns and silly hats.
    Sure hope they wont make them to powerful. Even the best melee should die if hit by a bullet.

Clansmen taking as much fire as Ben Stiller did in Tropic Thunder is worst case scenario.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I really hope CA do not make the Jacobites = Scotland. That would be horrendeously innacurate.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I really hope CA do not make the Jacobites = Scotland. That would be horrendeously innacurate.
    I think the Jacobites will be one form that a rebellion in Scotland can take, but not the only form. It's hard to say really as this paticular feature of the game has not been mentioned much by CA. We'll just have to wait and see when the game is released.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Lol love the siggie Beanie

On to topic.

No one knows how the units or rebellions will work, though I think CA knows enough history to not be to inaccurate....I mean it's not like they did cannons on Elephants or anything

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Seconded. If the Jacobites rise up, then I want to see them Ireland and England as well.

As Sir Beane said, I hope the Jacobites are only one form of a "Scottish" rebellion.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Seconded. If the Jacobites rise up, then I want to see them Ireland and England as well.

As Sir Beane said, I hope the Jacobites are only one form of a "Scottish" rebellion.
    You bet!

And if they had done them right they would be a landless faction in play. One the other Factions could supply with money and troops. One with their own agents stirring the pot to cause trouble or gaining influence.

But I feel sure that won’t be the case…too bad, really…

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    You bet!

And if they had done them right they would be a landless faction in play. One the other Factions could supply with money and troops. One with their own agents stirring the pot to cause trouble or gaining influence.

But I feel sure that won’t be the case…too bad, really…
    Sadly I think you are right. I doubt CA would put a faction with no land in. Instead they probably start with Scotland and then march on London. Or possibly they start with an army or two and have to take Scotland first.

I'm sure that we can use mods to fix any innacuracies however, I'm just grateful we get emergent factions at all.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Sadly I think you are right. I doubt CA would put a faction with no land in. Instead they probably start with Scotland and then march on London. Or possibly they start with an army or two and have to take Scotland first.
    Don't the Mongol hordes in M2TW start with no land? CA have applied landless factions before, especially in BI. I wasn't aware of the Jacobites until they were mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I View Post
    Don't the Mongol hordes in M2TW start with no land? CA have applied landless factions before, especially in BI. I wasn't aware of the Jacobites until they were mentioned here.
    That's true actually. Both the Mongols and the Timurids start the game with no land and wander around until they take a city.

The Jacobites aren't a very well known part of history really. Not even in England. I only know about them because a local city, Derby, is famous for being the furthest place Bonnie Prince Charlie (the Jacobite leader) reached before he turned around. I've seen his statue in person. In fact I've used him as a bench.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 01-26-2009 at 19:45.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

The Jacobites aren't a very well known part of history really. Not even in England. I only know about them because a local city, Derby, is famous for being the furthest place Bonnie Prince Charlie (the Jacobite leader) reached before he turned around. I've seen his statue in person. In fact I've used him as a bench.
    That's because... firstly england is perfect, we have "never" had any prince rebellions 'cos the royal family is the only true one kind of british snobbishness. And secondly, we wont admit to losing a few to scotland. When do you ever learn about the wars of independance? It's stupid, we cant even learn about the empire! presumably out of fear that people will create new ones or the idea of the slave trade. We've even lost the title Great Britain, we were great once, onw look at us, scotland almost running away ireland previously back from mayhem after we've been there since at least the tudor era, wa;es still not knowing what to do with the assembly they've been given. The so called united Kingdom is breaking up.... whatever happened...

oh and If you think I might be right wing... I prefer the left... I slide about the scale ever so much...

and to stay on topic...

in a revolution, what would decide the political outcome as in say re-enacting the russian revolution (october) earlier. what would control the political side of it?
    Last edited by The New Che Guevara; 01-26-2009 at 21:40.
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast