Thread: Iberian Archers

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

Default Iberian Archers

This unit is present in Vanilla and a number of mods but not in EB ?

Why ?

Maybe in EBII ?
    Lies we can believe in

Default Re: Iberian Archers

My guess would be that the EB team didn't feel that Iberians had a strong enough archery tradition to warrant their inclusion.

Balearic Slingers are so much better than archers anyway that you don't really need them.

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

The description for Lusotannan Shepherd Slingers actually mentions archery was abandoned in Iberia after the Bronze Age.

Apart from the Belearic Slingers being the best missle infantry with the Cretan Archers in EB, if you want some cheap but overall good archers, there are the Nuragi (Sardinian Archers).

Cheers.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Soteiro View Post
    This unit is present in Vanilla
    Wait, what? Iberian Archers in Vanilla? Did they really exist? I have not played vanilla in ages, but with all my memory I do not recollect having encountered such unit.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Cretans are the best? What? What about the super-long range Persian archers? Or the Rhodesian slingers?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Cretans? Weren't Bosphoran Heavy Archers the best in the game? (I don't know about the Range though. Can somebody please compare
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 01-25-2009 at 18:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I always heard that the Saka or Scythian archers were the best. Bosphorans and Persian Heavies are the best archer duelists. I mean, the range differences aren't THAT great. You just have to run a few steps closer.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Something Witty Goes Here Member Zeibek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    I always heard that the Saka or Scythian archers were the best. Bosphorans and Persian Heavies are the best archer duelists. I mean, the range differences aren't THAT great. You just have to run a few steps closer.
    IIRC the Saka archers have the longest range, and when you work in the cost/effect ratio it could be argued that they are the best archers in the game.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that when it comes to stats the Cretans are superior to all others, including the Bosphorans. Though the Bosphorans do look at lot cooler...

A red 'bloon for a red sig from Aemilius Paulus

Quote Originally Posted by Zeibek View Post
    IIRC the Saka archers have the longest range, and when you work in the cost/effect ratio it could be argued that they are the best archers in the game.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that when it comes to stats the Cretans are superior to all others, including the Bosphorans. Though the Bosphorans do look at lot cooler...
    I know the cretans have eastern bows(unlike most westerners), how are they better than Bosophorans?

Also, what about Caucasian archers? They have 6 points of damage(compare to scythian and persian 4/5) and are ridiculously cheap.
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 01-25-2009 at 20:02.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Caucasian units aren't fair to fight against but Hai's position isn't exactly fair either. Also, don't their descriptions say they used ridiculously large bows that shot javelin sized projectiles?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Caucasian units aren't fair to fight against but Hai's position isn't exactly fair either. Also, don't their descriptions say they used ridiculously large bows that shot javelin sized projectiles?
    Xenophon was unlucky enough to find himself at the wrong end of worrying tactics of such a people, the Karduchi, who may have been the ancestors of the modern day Kurds, as he and his force battled through the Caucasus highlands to the southern shore of the Black Sea. Xenophon mentions that the bow the Karduchi used was the three cubits long, whilst the arrow was two cubits itself. Xenophon further reports that "When discharging the arrow, they draw the string by getting a purchase with the left foot planted forward on the lower end of the bow. The arrows pierced through shield and cuirass, and the Hellenes, when they got hold of them, used them as javelins, fitting them to their thongs." Powerful weapons indeed
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Cretan archers are awesome, but what about subeshi archers or what abut the syriakoi toxotai those are really good and can act as an awesome light infantry unit since they use swords and shields, also the bosphoran heavies are amazing both in archery and melee fighting, but anyways i also dont recall any iberian archers in vanilla but its been years since i dont play vanilla rtw.

Cheers!

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both." Erwin Rommel
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."Erwin Rommel
    "So long as one isn't carrying ones head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." Erwin Rommel

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Cretans are the best? What? What about the super-long range Persian archers? Or the Rhodesian slingers?
    Rhodesians?

Anyway Cretans have one more ranged attack point and the same range than heavy persians.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 01-25-2009 at 22:14.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

There weren't any Iberian archers in Vanilla. They were Numidian archers which had the same basic style as the Iberian and Carthaginian units.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

I think he meant Rhodian perhaps?

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HayGuy View Post
    I think he meant Rhodian perhaps?

Obviously he did but the image of an antique Rhodesian slinger just made me laugh, since at that time what was to become rhodesia must have been populated with Boshiman's ancestors: Boshiman slingers in my Epirote army would be just awesome.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Obviously he did but the image of an antique Rhodesian slinger just made me laugh, since at that time what was to become rhodesia must have been populated with Boshiman's ancestors: Boshiman slingers in my Epirote army would be just awesome.
    actually, the khoisan, or ǃKung (or bushman), do not, and did not use slings(as far as i can tell atleast). instead, expect bowmen armed with poisonous arrows. they might also have darts for throwing. I might need a picture though to give you an idea..
    EDIT: here: http://www.south-africa-tours-and-tr...outhafrica.jpg
    at least that was the image provided by the term "Rhodesian"(Isn't that place Zimbabwe now?)
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 01-28-2009 at 02:12.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Had a quick peruse through the EDU, heres a list of all the slingers and archers in the game by range, number of arrows per man and missle attack value.

Archers:
    Saka Foot Archers 209m, 25 arrows, 5 attack <---AFAIK they have the longest range in the game.
    Toxotai Kretikoi 201.6m, 35 arrows, 6 attack
    Subeshi Fistaegfataexsdzhytae 198m, 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Mardian Foot Archers 198m, 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Levantine Saggitarius Auxilia 198m 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Sarmatian Foot Archers 198m, 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Skuda Fistaeg Fat Aexsdzhytae 198m, 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Hallatamti Thanvare (Elamite Archers) 198m, 35 arrows, 5 attack
    Giusim Aravim Tsfonim 196m, 25 arrow, 5 attack
    Syrian Archers 192.5m, 25 arrows, 4 attack
    Thanvare Payahdag, 192.5m, 25 arrows, 4 attack
    Medininkas 187m, 25 arrows, 4 attack
    Thureopheromenoi Toxotai 180m, 35 arrows. 5 attack <---still the best in my opinion
    Caucasian Archers, 180m, 28 arrows, 6 attack
    Komatai Agrianai 179.5m, 25 arrows, 5 attack
    Ethiopian Archers 179.2m, 25 arrows, 5 attack
    Eransahr Arshtbara 175m, 25 arrows, 4 attack
    Numidian Archers 170m, 20 arrows, 5 attack
    Indian Longbowmen 170m, 16 arrows, 5 attack
    Sabean Archers 170m, 25 arrows, 4 attack
    Komatai Toxotai 160.2m, 15 arrows, 4 attack
    Lankininkas 160m, 15 arrows, 4 attack
    Nuraghi 157.3m, 15 arrows, 3 attack
    Skutjanz 143m, 15 arrows, 4 attack
    Sotaroas 143m, 15 arrows, 3 attack
    Toxotai 143m, 15 arrows, 3 attack

Slingers:
    Rhodian Slingers 195m, 30 bullets, 2 attack
    Shuban Fradakshana, 185m, 30 bullets, 2 attack
    Sphendonetai 185m, 30 bullets, 2 attack
    Balearic Slinger 175m, 20 bullets, 3 attack
    African Slingers 162.8m, 25 bullets, 1 attack
    Arab Slingers 162.8m, 25 bullets, 1 attack
    Iaosatae, 162m, 35 bullets, 1 attack
    Komatai Sphendonitai 148m, 25 bullets, 1 attack
    Iberian Slingers 148m, 25 bullets, 1 attack
    Accensi 133.2m, 25 bullets, 1 attack

Does anyone else think it ironic that the Greeks have both the best and worst archers in the game?

I'm a big fan of Indian Longbowmen, because of that giant two-handed sword they have as a secondary weapon. Unfortunately, they're proving a little hard to recruit in my current Casse campaign...
    One balloon for not being Roman

God yeah, those guys are EVIL.

I think two of the reasons I like playing KH are the Sphendonetai Rhodioi (available with a MIC3!) and Toxotai Kretikoi (ugh! MIC4). Regular Sphendonetai and Toxotai make due, especially the slingers. Have to restrain myself from having too many of them. :)

Kind of off-topic, but having just started playing EB 1.2, I've discovered the Recruitment viewer is missing Sphendonetai Rhodioi.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Svartormr View Post
    Kind of off-topic, but having just started playing EB 1.2, I've discovered the Recruitment viewer is missing Sphendonetai Rhodioi.
    I don't think the recruitment viewer was updated for v1.1...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    I don't think the recruitment viewer was updated for v1.1...
    As far as I can figure, the Recruitment viewer looks at its own files, and you're right, they're from EB 1.1.

I just did a reinstall and I see now that even with native language names, they show as "Rhodian Slingers" and not Sphendonetai Rhodioi. They are still missing from the EB (1.1?) documentation (Unit Compare, Unit List). I've tested and they're still in the game: KH can recruit them with a MIC3 in Rhodos.

Default AW: Iberian Archers

I have another questions about archers:
    Why are there no nubian archers? I think they were famous in Egypt for their bows and Nubia was sometimes called the land of bow?
    Maybe this isn't up-to-date in 272 BC anymore but I guess that they had good archers...
    Last edited by JNR; 01-29-2009 at 14:28.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Iberian Archers

Quote Originally Posted by JNR View Post
    I have another questions about archers:
    Why are there no nubian archers? I think they were famous in Egypt for their bows and Nubia was sometimes called the land of bow?
    Maybe this isn't up-to-date in 272 BC anymore but I guess that they had good archers...
    Toxotai Aithiopicoi come close. use them in the place of the nubians
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Default Re: AW: Iberian Archers

You know, technically EB does have Iberian Archers. You just hve to be a little creative to find them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Iberians

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great View Post
    ........ and the Hellenes, when they got hold of them, used them as javelins, fitting them to their thongs." Powerful weapons indeed
    ...so wrong on so many different levels....but fecking great
    Last edited by HFox; 01-30-2009 at 17:39.