Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M2TW Cavalry and EB II

Blog Entries

Default Re: M2TW Cavalry and EB II

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    I killed all but 12 Triarri on huge settings with the Iberian Catanks once.
    How many units did you use...
    I was attacked by Iberian Heavy Cavallery today and they killed none in open field... If the Triarii can prepare and have the defense mode on most charges do nothing...
    I hope thats going to be different in EB2, but by the way:
    In the EB times the stirrup were no known to most of the world, so it was impossible to get an charge with a lance like the knights in the Medivial. Ancient Cavallery is believed to rather fight close combat than doing crushing charges. Im think EB is doing it exactly the opposite way, guess its just more fun

You don't need a stirrup neither a saddle to charge with a lance succesfully.

The Hetairoi had, at best, only saddlecloth. Though later the Romans and Parthians used saddles because of their obvious benefit to rider stability, and not necessarily because they were essential.

My

50 km/h is too much in my opinion for charging cavalry (except in dramatic fiction of course)
    A similar speed was impossible for a horse with muscolar, heavily armed warrior on his back in napoleonic time... so it was equally impossible in ancient era, when husbandry was probably less developed.

And anyway, a similar speed would be very dangerous even for the attacking horseman, and would disrupt any resemblance of formation: contrarily to popular belief, a tight and ordered formation was the most important factor in the chivalric mounted shock tactic (and probably in the mounted shock tactic of every horsemen in whatever time...)

So I think a top speed of 30 km/h is more realistic for ancient cavalry (and medieval as well)

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    You don't need a stirrup neither a saddle to charge with a lance succesfully.

The Hetairoi had, at best, only saddlecloth. Though later the Romans and Parthians used saddles because of their obvious benefit to rider stability, and not necessarily because they were essential.
    They are essential...
    Without stirrup or saddle you wouldnt be able stay on your horse, when you poke your enemy with your lance. The romans used special formed saddles, but there is a reason why later everybody used stirrups. I think you can doubt the Hetairoi as real shock riders like the Medievial Knights.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seienchin View Post
    How many units did you use...
    I was attacked by Iberian Heavy Cavallery today and they killed none in open field... If the Triarii can prepare and have the defense mode on most charges do nothing...
    I hope thats going to be different in EB2, but by the way:
    In the EB times the stirrup were no known to most of the world, so it was impossible to get an charge with a lance like the knights in the Medivial. Ancient Cavallery is believed to rather fight close combat than doing crushing charges. Im think EB is doing it exactly the opposite way, guess its just more fun
    One units of Iberian Heavies in an actual charge. That is a charge from walking spped with lowered lances not from running. The Triarii stopped infront of my cavalry to try adn brace but didn't make it in time.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123