Thread: berserker unit attribute: possible addition to EB for BI

Question berserker unit attribute: possible addition to EB for BI

Hello. I'm thinking of adding the berserker unit attribute to EB for BI, but I don't know enough about it yet to make a good decision. Here is the description for it:
    Berserker units can go berserk (BI Only)
    And it replaces one of the other stat_mental "discipline" attributes (low, normal, disciplined, impetuous).

What does it do *exactly*? It is like "run amok" for elephants? Do they automatically fight to the death instead of fleeing? Any state bonuses I should be aware of? Does it displace special unit abilities like shield_wall or warcry?

It could be an interesting addition for units like the gaesatae and other elite barbarian units.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

Default Re: berserker unit attribute: possible addition to EB for BI

In Paeninsula Italica, it makes a single unit of Campanian mercenaries destroy a fullstack. You also lose all control of the unit while it basically destroys all enemy soldiers on the field.

So .

Giving it to Gaesatae would make it more unbalanced than heavy cavalry vs peasants in vanilla RTW.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

They were drugged up and couldn't feel pain. I'd buy it.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

A *full stack*? Of what, gallic levies? Good lord. Might as well give them AK-47s.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Guns of the South anyone??

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Seriously, I pitted a unit of berserkers against 5 units of spearmen in a BI custom battle, and the fight was close, though the spearmen came through. Against 20 units of peasants, the berserkers won a handy victory.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

They have 2 HP and area attack crap. You can't compare something with area attack to soemthing other than an elephant or chariot if oyu're talking about EB.

A *full stack*? Of what, gallic levies?
    Yeah aparently killing a whole stack of crap is a good measure of awesomeness. Heh, on a related note I've recreated Thermopolyae in EB with the maximum amount of units possible(As in the maximum amount of AIs with full stacks of Pandas and Archer-Spearmen) vs 300 Spartans and 900 allies. It was at 3 FPS when I was looking away from the battle.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-31-2009 at 05:31.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Anyway, I was playing as Syracuse, so it was against Carthage. Seriously, they will kill absolutely anything in their path. The only thing that seems to stop them is chariots - they snap them out of their berserker rage, leaving them vulnerable.

In BI a unit of berserkers will take down a unit of elephants with frighteningly low losses. Seriously.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    Guns of the South anyone??
    Yeah, but this is the Antiquity, and not Civil War. Harry Turtledove is the best though. No better author than him.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 01-31-2009 at 07:16.

I would think that given the ingenuity of the EB team they could implement the berserker attribute. I always thought that the stats of the units were not supposed to be balanced but representative of probably how good they were in a fight. If one unit in RL did go berserk in battle and were able to take down 10+ people for every one of their guys dying, it should be in the game and shouldn't be nerfed.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Ok,..... WALKING NUKES ANYONE?!?!?!?!

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I would think that given the ingenuity of the EB team they could implement the berserker attribute. I always thought that the stats of the units were not supposed to be balanced but representative of probably how good they were in a fight. If one unit in RL did go berserk in battle and were able to take down 10+ people for every one of their guys dying, it should be in the game and shouldn't be nerfed.
    Yeah, but there were hundreds and thousands of places in the known world of European, North African and Western Asiatic world that were renowned for producing one or more type of exceptional warriors. That place had marvelous archers, this place has unbeatable swordsmen, and that place over there fields superb hoplites, etc, etc. Much of the descriptions of the effectiveness of those units is rather vague, exaggerated or hazy. It is difficult to determine the strength of a unit when all you hear of is boasting. So the EB team attempts to balance it all out.

I do not believe that the Babylonian Spearmen should have something like 8 defence skill while Lugoae have 12, but that is the way it is. Often times one can observe the "civilised" soldiers having low defence skill which is compensated by armour, while the "barbarian" troops have low armour but high defence skill. That's balancing, as the Lugoae have as much defence skill as some of the elite "civilised" units.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    I do not believe that the Babylonian Spearmen should have something like 8 defence skill while Lugoae have 12, but that is the way it is. Often times one can observe the "civilised" soldiers having low defence skill which is compensated by armour, while the "barbarian" troops have low armour but high defence skill. That's balancing, as the Lugoae have as much defence skill as some of the elite "civilised" units.
    I think the civilized units often have lower defence skill not because the armor compensates for it, but because the fact that they are wearing armor decreases their ability to defend themselves.
    It is much easier for an unarmored man not to be hit, while an armored man can't move as fast and has to rely on the armor: Lugoae dodge blows that a Babylonian Spearman has to take, without being better fighters as such.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Unarmoured units have indeed a bonus in defence skill for being better able to move and react on incomming hits. Note though that 1 armour point is not the same as 1 point in defence skill. Armour works for any attack, skill only for the right flank and or front and doesn't work for missiles.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: berserker unit attribute: possible addition to EB for BI

Quote Originally Posted by Ferromancer View Post
    What does it do *exactly*? It is like "run amok" for elephants? Do they automatically fight to the death instead of fleeing? Any state bonuses I should be aware of? Does it displace special unit abilities like shield_wall or warcry?
    I am not sure what exactly the bonus is, but it's a special ability (and thus cannot be combined with other special abilities) and in my short time playing vanilla BI I haven't seen a berserk unit routing. Since Gaesatae and other barbarian elites could and did rout, I don't think it would be realistic.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    In Paeninsula Italica, it makes a single unit of Campanian mercenaries destroy a fullstack. You also lose all control of the unit while it basically destroys all enemy soldiers on the field.

So .

Giving it to Gaesatae would make it more unbalanced than heavy cavalry vs peasants in vanilla RTW.
    maybe you should also explain that Paeninsula Italica current version is a beta, but the EDU is still alpha = its only purpouse is to make possible to launch the game; it is completely unbalanced right now, and we are on the initial stage of applying our theoric model.

I know because actually I am the responsible for the EDU
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Well, I didn't know that! All I did was download it after looking at the faction previews thread.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

BI Lombard Berserkers ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post
    maybe you should also explain that Paeninsula Italica current version is a beta, but the EDU is still alpha = its only purpouse is to make possible to launch the game; it is completely unbalanced right now, and we are on the initial stage of applying our theoric model.

I know because actually I am the responsible for the EDU
    i saw the PI EDU almost a year ago...what you have now is much more than an alpha
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin