Thread: Difference Between Difficulty Levels

Default Difference Between Difficulty Levels

Hi, I couldn't find a thread about this directly. I obviously get that Very Hard is harder than Hard that is harder than Medium, but just for the sake of clarity, I was hoping for some detailed info as to what really changes between these settings. if this is already covered in another thread, then I'm sorry. anyways, how does the AI behave differently, do the AI's treat each other differently - ie. more/less aggressively etc., I'm very interested, but I got a Next Turn-time of 5 minutes, so playing a campaign with each 3 difficulty levels would take me until Spring, so I'd rather ask here and then decide from your advice which of the difficulty levels that appeal to me
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Default Re: Difference Between Difficulty Levels

Campaign :
    Medium : good for very slow players that like periods of peace now and then.
    Hard : reasonable AI aggression, everyone'll want to wage war against you, but still quite fun.
    Very Hard : Kamikaze AI. They just throw everything at you.

Factions will expand a little bit faster at higher difficulty AFAIK, but killing you if you border them is their priority.

Battle:
    Medium : recommended, good balance. Requires the human player not to use full stacks, not to retrain, and to use no more than 1/4 elites per army.
    Hard: +4 Morale, +4Attack and/or Defence, can't remember exactly. Ruins the balance work of the EB team. But you can use fullstacks, elites,... a bit unrealistic, but many people like it.
    Very Hard: +7 bonusses! Prepare to see your elites slaughtered by Akontistai in melee. You need to constantly take advantage of AI's stupidity and blitz before faction start to throw elites at you.

I prefer M/M or H/M (I'm a slow expander).
    VH/M or H/H for a challange.
    VH/H or VH/VH if you want to blitz.

Disclaimer : AI is't any less braindead on VH than it is on E. So don't expect any improvement there.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 02-02-2009 at 15:43.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Also I believe on Hard campaign AI can recruit mercenaries and rebels can besiege your cities.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

the advised difficulty setting for EB by the Dev team is VH for campaign medium for battle difficulty.
    the difference is :

for campaign: in Hard difficulty AI factions get 4000 mnai bonus and more agressive than medium, rebels can besiege your towns eg.
    in very hard difficulty for campaign AI factions get 10000 mnai bonus plus it is nearly impossible to make
    a trade agreement, nearly , plus if you are in a war with a neighbour faction the AI is very agressive.

for battle: hard difficulty gives +4 morale bonus
    very hard difficulty gives +7 morale bonus
    that means levy troops can annihilate your elites

in medium no bonuses.

P.S. : difficulty setting does not make AI better, be aware of it
    In addition; you may have different results between game engines, namely RTW.exe, BI.exe or alex.exe.
    my favourite exe is alex cos in battles it gives more reasonable realism.

I hope I could help, and please if I am mistaken in some of the info, sorry for that; I am not a member of the Dev team.

Atra

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

The mnai bonussen are neglectable. The EB script gives AI faction all the money they need regardless of the difficulty.

And I'm sure morale bonusses aren't the only thing AI units get on H or VH.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 02-02-2009 at 15:47.

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

although the advised difficulty VH/M sometimes I find it very ridiculous especially when I am in debt with 10 provinces, carthage had more than 500.000 mnai

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Ok thx a lot. I think H/M is what I'm gonna try for my next campaign :D
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

On higher difficulties autoresolve is skewed towards the AI, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    On higher difficulties autoresolve is skewed towards the AI, isn't it?
    Yes, autoresolve depends on campaign difficulty, not battle difficulty. That's the reason why I often play m/m, because I autoresolve much.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Good to know. I've been always wondering about the effects. Where did you find the AI boni spelled out in the game files?

EBBS_script in Eb\Data\scripts.

Yes, that part i already found. :) What about the morale/unit strength bonus? I couldn't find that anywhere so i assumed that it was hardcoded and therefore also not possible to check the current difficulty with a script routine or as a trigger.

Yes, those are hard coded. I don't know where you can "see" them.

Only EB money boni are in the EBBS of course.