Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of the giant trees

Default Re: Getting rid of the giant trees

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    Thanks Ferromancer, a download possiblity via your mirror has been added.
    I'm glad I could help.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

So from what Watchman said, I gather with Alex it doesn't generate a new map.rwm but it still works fine?

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

I can't answer this. Try it out.

If ever somebody would try my or other members' suggestions and post their experiences here afterwards, it would really help.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabhadh View Post
    So from what Watchman said, I gather with Alex it doesn't generate a new map.rwm but it still works fine?
    What I said ? Alex ? I play with BI.exe you know...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

This mod is great, it really changed my life

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    This mod is great, it really changed my life
    I ask people (people that keep on bothering me with their stupid questions that any sane person will find himself unable to answer in a decent way) to try it out and then post their experience - whether or how it works or not. Honestly, what do you think? You won't have to use your brain and I will instead do the work while you don't give a dime about getting this to work?

I won't answer those stupid questions any more, if you are too stupid to just follow my extremely detailed user guide in post #1, it's plain your problem. Retardedness such as this won't be babysat in RL, why do you think it would by me?
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 08-12-2009 at 02:20.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Wink Re: Getting rid of the giant trees

Easy mate!

Your mod is a marvel. Thanks to it I feel I'm playing EB to its full potential. The silent majority do appreciate your work. Just ignore the rest, unless they state a problem, report a bug, suggest an improvement etc.

Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    Easy mate!

Your mod is a marvel. Thanks to it I feel I'm playing EB to its full potential. The silent majority do appreciate your work. Just ignore the rest, unless they state a problem, report a bug, suggest an improvement etc.

Thank you Mouza!

I don't use BI or Alex.exe and thus I cannot, by the nature of things, give any thoughtful counsel on how to use my tiny little mod with it. So it requires from the employer a little amount of reflexation and also insight into the structure of his EB-install.

And when I politely ask people that they - who are supposed to have done it by then - briefly comment on if it worked, how it worked, if they encountered difficulties or whatever, you get a big fat yawning nada. Which is why the comment in post #65 just made something in my head explode. Enough is enough.

So I can help you if you are computer illiterate and ask politely. Yes I will do that. But I won't nurse little parasites that expect daddy Nixalsverdrus to present them the solution to their problems on a silver tableau.

~ Centurio
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 08-15-2009 at 01:42.

Has anyone with the Alex.exe gotten this to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Has anyone with the Alex.exe gotten this to work?
    o_O? Why wouldn't it work with alex.exe? To answer your question; yes me.
    Also, I have no clue what Rabhadh in postnr 62 is talking about: alex.exe generates a new map.rwn just like the other .exe's.
    Last edited by Raygereio; 09-05-2009 at 19:59. Reason: typo...

Quote Originally Posted by Raygereio View Post
    o_O? Why wouldn't it work with alex.exe? To answer your question; yes me.
    Also, I have no clue what Rabhadh in postnr 62 is talking about: alex.exe generates a new map.rwn just like the other .exe's.
    What did you put for your shortcut? I can't get that one part to work

Edit: Nevermind I got it to work, turns out I had everything right except I had to continue a campaign instead of starting a new one.
    Last edited by Kevin; 09-05-2009 at 22:03.

Thank you so much for this mod.

The huge trees was starting to make me not want to play certain battles manually. I really have no idea why EB has huge trees in the first place. When you move your troops by a "birds eye" view, it makes no sense to have trees that block almost all of that view. Meaning it is hard to see or move anything without a very long "micro-managed" battle, which is such a waste a time. Add in that the trees can be buggy with troops moving around and I'm at a loss as to why EB didn't fix this.

I play with many "mini" mods, I'll list what I have installed and the order down below. I also use alex.exe. The only change to your instructions that I had to make was to change the end of the target line, of my alex.exe (RomeTW-ALX) shortcut, to the following: -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander

The rest of your well written instructions I followed to the letter. It works smoothly.

Thank you,
    Apple.

For installation process, I followed the following: RTW Gold > Alexander > EB 1.1 > 1.2 > Official Fixes > 1.2 Mini Mod Pack (3.1) > LZ3's Custom EB Fix Adaptation > Phalanx Mod > RS Textures > Naval Strat Map Add On > Lysander's Sihunet Formations Adaptations > EOM 4 Carthaginian Governors Edition > Atraphoenix' RS Legions Adaptation For ALEXANDER EB > Getting Rid Of The Giant Trees Mod

(I've also modded the Roman reforms to happen sooner - I roleplay that I would do things better than the Romans did, :))

-The only thing missing is a 12 turns per year mod and a better AI (which is something that can't be improved much, because of the engine).
    Last edited by applebreath; 11-07-2009 at 05:28.
    Imo, the following "mod" is almost perfect:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For installation process, I followed the following: RTW Gold > Alexander > EB 1.1 > 1.2 > Official Fixes > 1.2 Mini Mod Pack 3.1 > LZ3's Custom EB Fix Adaptation > Phalanx Mod > RS Textures > Naval Strat Map Add On > Lysander's Sihunet Formations Adaptations > EOM 4 Carthaginian Governors Edition > Atraphoenix' RS Legions Adaptation For ALEXANDER EB > Getting Rid Of The Giant Trees Mod > (I've also modded the Roman reforms to happen sooner, deleted 7 files/folders to get rid of window lights and torches for night battles, and added 3 SKYMOD_BI .txt files for night lighting.) - The only thing missing is a 12 turns per year mod, maybe 6 tpy instead.

I very much appreciate your detailed feedback.

Recently came back to EB, loving it, and now am loving it even more. Thank you for this, Sweboz was nearly unplayable. Huge forests of coast redwoods that are 2 feet apart...

thank you!

siruso

I'll try it on my next campaign, which will probably with the Sweboz. I had installed the mod and the EB quotes and got random CTD and I thought that it was caused by that mod (I use Alex.exe and I couldn't start a new campaign). But then I read that antoher user had the same problem and that it was caused by the EB quotes, which had some lines missing and so causing troubles.

I've just tried this one, and it's working fine.
    Very easy to install even for a non-native english barbarian like me ^^.
    Thanks a lot!
    Sticky?

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

anyone notices that (i have the 1.2 minimod pack) and there is snow on persia? is that correct? or is there a problem with it?
    Because we all need to compensate...

Dear Centurio

This mod seems to be very great. Unfortunately a problem occurs when I want to install it. I made the shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb -nm -show_err -ne) as you said an can start the game (it will start not in Fullscreen, but in a smaller window... ist this normal? I tried several times). I start a campaign, quit and then go back to the certain folder. But there is no new map.rwm - file. In fact, there is still no map.rwm -file at all, since I deleted the old one, as you wrote. I tried again, this time activating the script in the new campaign and finishing the first turn. Still no file.

What am I doing wrong? I am not using BI or Alex.

Greetings SB
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 03-26-2010 at 23:49.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Update: I started a new campaing via the shortcut and played 7 or 8 turns with the script on. Now the game really has generated a new map.rwm file. I copied this into the .../EB/sp game edu backup folder (copy = after that it still exists in the /base folder) and started the game as I usually do. Unfortunately the game would crash whenever I try to load a savegame or start a new campaign
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Well, have you followed all the steps described in post #1 meticulously? Out of the bat I have no idea what could be the problem.

Hey Swiss are you running Windows 7 64 bit? I'm running the same thing, have followed all the instructions carefully (including d/ling the .tgf file twice), loaded it up after not saving/saving/loading script/not loading script and I still see no difference - there is no file generated after quitting. Maybe that has something to do with it...

However, what exactly is the definition of "smaller" trees? I am not familiar with the landscape and can't recall exactly what a redwood looks like...
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Hi, I'm running the game using the Alex.exe which means i don't use the EB Single Player script to start the game. I instead have to use a RomeTW-ALX.exe - Shortcut which the following start in commands -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander (probably not relevant but that's how I start the game).

I simply replace the climate file, deleted the map.rwm (after backing them up) and then started the game up using my regular short cut, the game took a little longer to start, I then started a new campaign (again it took a little longer) and then tested it with one of the suggested settlement and saw no huge trees so i guess it work. Loaded up my save game and in the 2 battles I've had East Gaul there have been no huge redwoods.

Would i be right in guessing that the EB Single Player script automatically uses the map.rwm in the /sp game edu backup which is why you have to make a Rome.exe short cut and start the game up with the added start in commands stuff so the game generates a new map.rwm which you then use to replace the standard one in the /sp game edu backup folder.?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That sounds right, although I am not 100% sure if map.rwm is generated upon starting the game or when starting a new campaign.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    That sounds right, although I am not 100% sure if map.rwm is generated upon starting the game or when starting a new campaign.
    If you delete the map.rwm the game will generate a new one based on number of files. I'm guessing the EBTrivialScript.exe copies the backup one into the EB folder, which is why you need to start up EB without using it.

It took me about 2min to remove the big trees using the alex.exe as i didn't have to worry about starting a new campaign and then replacing the map.rwm the single player back up one.

I invaded the Getai homeland as the Sauromatae not so long ago and wound up fighting a battle on a map with these rather large trees that were so close together that it was entirely impossible to see my units through them when I zoomed out. Luckily, I was on the defensive and able to set my army up in a conveniant little clearing, so I won the battle. Tell me, are those trees the California Redwoods that this mod removes?

Sorry for a bit of grave digging but has anyone on a windows 7 64bit os been able to generate a new map.rmw? The mod worked perfectly until i reinstalled my new os.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvanish View Post
    Sorry for a bit of grave digging but has anyone on a windows 7 64bit os been able to generate a new map.rmw? The mod worked perfectly until i reinstalled my new os.
    Yes. But sorry, I can't remember exactly how (it was back in April). I do remember it took some perseverance, but it works fine for me now, so it can be done

Well thanks for letting me know that it can happen. I guess its time to start messing with stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvanish View Post
    Well thanks for letting me know that it can happen. I guess its time to start messing with stuff.
    Make sure the game is installed outside of protected folders, such as program files. These files won't allow programs to create or change files without administrator rights. I have Win7 64bit and I have no trouble recreating map.rmw

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Is this mod compatible with the City Mod? Thanks for the reply

Scratch that, got an answer from jirysys:

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    IIRC, you only have to do the whole "delete the map.rwm" process again. But they will work together.

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by danio43us67; 01-14-2012 at 20:03.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast