Thread: Rankings, Leagues and Ladders

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default Rankings, Leagues and Ladders

Brand new multiplayer component includes player rankings, leagues and ladders, and completely new gameplay modes.
    http://www.totalwar.com/empire/gameinfo/features.php

The "new gameplay modes" I imagine refer to the multiplayer campaign (at least in part).

In reading the above again just now, the thought came to me that the multiplayer campaign may possibly do more for multiplayer than what will be added by the new mode(s). That soon folks who were exclusive single players will get a taste of the excitement many of us have known for years. And once you go muilt, you never go back

What can anyone tell us about the "rankings, leagues and ladders"?

Will these be in the game or are they a Steam thing?

Will any of the new matching systems will make comunity contests obsolete?

Last edited by Tomisama; 02-06-2009 at 01:41.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Default Re: Rankings, Leagues and Ladders

As far a the ladders and rankings I believe that wil be on CA's side of things. I havent seen anything about rankings for games on Steam. Thats not to say there isin't, I just havent seen it.

The matching system is probably a server matching service I would imagine. I wonder if they will have persistent servers like CS:S.

But if you have a E:TW group set up you can put out announcents for tournaments and constests.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

Unfortunately they have been incredibly vague about the nature of these components. Hopefully they don't give us a gamespyesque ladder that is separate from the game. If it's not embedded within the software, it won't be as effective. It will still be something, don't get me wrong. But if you are trying to market the MP component, it has to be comparable to other RTS games that have done a much better job of doing it thusfar.

This means the ladder should operate based on an automatching system. If it is a ladder where you have to schedule matches, then it will fizzle out over time. The tournaments are certainly what have peeked my curiosity. In what way will these take form? I would love to have more info, but alas, the questions submitted by the CCS staff have been largely ignored. I suppose they do not want to release this information before the game is released, as it will operate on the "if you buy you will see" notion of marketing. Still, though, for those of us that have pre-ordered the game and boosted the funds that have allowed this game to be delayed, a bit of info would be appreciated.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Based on the GfWl, which DoW 2 is using, searching for a ladder match will take a decent while, even if 500 others are searching. Then it will be perfectly normal, no lag, even if US vs AUS for example. Stats are recorded on your GfWl profile card. Its integrated but this way CA doesn't have to do it themselves, Windows already is.

It uses the same accounts as XBOX Live, so to play over GfWl on DoW2, i had to make this: http://live.xbox.com/member/pevergreen
    Last edited by pevergreen; 02-06-2009 at 13:31.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope it's like the Ladder/Ranking system STW MP had or similiar to it anyhow. But It be kinda screwey if it was like a GS style Ladder .

Yea I don't remeber if it's dawn of war or Company of heroes.

But one had a system where it matched people pretty well.

Basically you could play ranked or unranked games.

Then if you played ranked it would match you.

So if you were 12 Wins, 2 Loss, 0 Draws it'd figure you had a 84% win ratio, and match you against someone who had a similiar Win to Loss Ratio.

I prefered that over the old starcraft ladders, which quite honestly, got dull do to so few people being involved.

Despite the dev diary I get the increasing impression that multiplayer is a "oh yea that" feature. Which won't be fully implemented properly until after release.

Just a gut feeling.
    Last edited by Polemists; 02-07-2009 at 09:24.

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

Well it doesn't just match you based on your win rate, it matches you based on who you have beaten. The better players you beat, the higher your rank goes. Otherwise you could play against player A who only beats up on weak players while all of your wins have been against quality players.

CA behavor might mean big financial loses for ... CA. Into Eastern Europe people are buying original games when they want play multiplayer. If they are interested only into single (for example because multi is like rtw 1.0), most of them downloads in by p2p.
    Here I think this situation can happen.
    To sum up - if CA will be collecting cash without working for it - they might loose much.
    Last edited by KrooK; 02-08-2009 at 22:23.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am excited for the Ranking system to be honest.... Lets see if they make it like STW's Ladder or similar to it though.