Thread: Knights of Honor

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Default Knights of Honor

Anyone play this game? I found it recently on Steam, less than $20 I think, reminds me a bit of cross between Lords of the Realm and MTW.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/knights-of-honor/570741p1.html

Default Re: Knights of Honor

Yes, it's a few years old, pretty neat but when I tried to pick it up again I noticed it only runs in 1024*768 or so which is like, very, very not so satisfying, especially when you have a widescreen.
    Well, it's still neat but nothing more IMO.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I knew we had threads on it already so I did a search.

I played it when it was more current. It's good verging onto quite good. The battles were too hard to control compared to TW's to capture me, and it's a fairly easy game. It's got some good features and I don't know of anything else quite like it. I did find it to be a better game than CK before the 'deus volt!' expansion, and haven't played enough of CK since to decide if the expansion has boosted it ahead of KoH. It's finally recieved a patch to boost the AI and difficulty, and fix some problems. I haven't played it with the patch; too many other games to go back to this one.

The steam sale has prompted a thread on another forum I read as well.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Member thankful for this post:

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Didn't realize the game has been around that long.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Long time ago I had it's demo. Back then I was not that impressed by it but now I think I'll go and find if this game is available somewhere. It looks different and simpler than TW games. Something I actually need nowadays.

Quite good campaign part, in many ways better than TW - but awful battles - i always did the autoresolve thing.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I started to play this game in autumn 2010, many years after its release.
    Didn't had too much information about it, apparently almost nobody ever heard of it (the only exception, a romanian gaming magazine called Level), but I did discover while playing that is surprisingly good and so much fun.

Easy to learn and not too hard to master (although it's not a quite simple game), intuitive, balanced, sometimes challenging, in rare occasions frustrating. Very atmospheric music, too.
    Some hilarious speeches also.

Diplomacy could of been a little more elaborate (but it's far better than M2TW), the presence of some minor bugs, multiplayer limited only to battles - those are the things that should of been better.

Best part is the strategical component of the game, worst part the tactical component (the battles which are far inferior to Medieval II ones).

But, all in one, I'd recommend KoH to anyone who likes a good medieval strategy, it's a game that definitely worth the time spent while playing, I still enjoy it every now and then.

Too bad the bulgarians from Black Sea Studio didn't release a Knights of Honor II...

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

As one of the few Bulgarian games I definitely played it when it came out (me being Bulgarian and all). It has it's pluses and minuses:

Pros:

- Runs on any old PC
    - Picturesque 2D graphics which I enjoy more than most modern 3D
    - Interesting concepts for all aspects of governing a medieval faction
    - High on historical accuracy
    - Caters to builders and warmongers equally
    - Interesting and varying ways to achieve victory
    - Can form/rebuild nations, emerging factions, crusades
    - Ability to get a mix of awesome units such as longbowmen + teutonic knights + templar knights

Cons:

- Very easy once you know how to play correctly
    - Some council positions are absolutely useless (landlord for example)
    - The AI can create spies out of council members and generals you were SURE were not spies before (an oversight from the beta stage. This was once a feature available to the player as well but it was then left only to the AI and it's damn annoying)
    - Due to the random nature of provincial bonuses you won't be able to build something you planned for (Cathedral, University etc.) unless you restart
    - There is a glitch with the unit/building availability on the map with the latest official patch which makes it a pain to plan on what you invade if you are a builder type

There is a difficulty mod (several mods out there) that makes the game hell. I can't decide if I want to stick with vanilla where the AI spams peasants ad infinitum or the mod where it spawns elite knights and men at arms while you have levy bowmen and it comes to tear you a new one.

In vanilla you basically have to raise Kingdom Power ASAP as it's cheapest when you start. Try to always keep it at 5. Get a 5 star cleric and spy asap. Clerics are great when governing provinces that produce books (for more training). Spies are to catch enemy spies.

For generals I get the talent which gives me the ability to create forts that shoot arrows. Clever forting-up on river banks and other chokes and moving several stacks together to shoot enemies with arrows makes for a deadly invasion force.

When Orthodox, break up from the Patirarchy in Constantinople ASAP. When Catholic go on Crusade only when you feel like losing that particular general.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Member thankful for this post:

A petition to create Knights of Honor II has been started. If you liked the original game, be so kind and sign it here.
    And spread the word for others to support it also.

It's a long shot, but at least it's something.
    And definitely worth a try.
    Last edited by Vlad Dracul; 09-06-2014 at 11:24.