Thread: Balancing Kensai

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Balancing Kensai

Ok, i've been theorizing on how to balance the kensai soldier, right now, the main problem is that he's far too vulnerable to missiles, yes? Well, I've thought that if you reduce the soldier's size, that is, scale, height, width etc. (in the unit_prod.txt) he'd be a smaller target to missiles, just like mounted troops are larger targets, yes?

I'd like to ask first, would this not work?
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Default Re: Balancing Kensai

The kensai is overpowered as it is. We had reports of a single honor 9 kensai killing entire armies. Reducing the size of the kensai should reduce the chance of a missle hitting him, but we haven't tested that. In any case, that would make the kensai more powerful since it would reduce its one weakness. My recommendation was to change the attack value from 15 to 9.

kensai thread

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

The solution for the Kensai is to simply get rid. Recreating STW without MI is the best idea. Battlefield Ninja and Geishas should go as well. Why not have the best of both worlds and mimic STW with a pure release then have the Mongols and the other daft units that came with MI as an expansion/add on/mini-mod?

*Trying to balance the Kensai
    is the greatest waste of time*

TW proverb

!it burnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 02-10-2009 at 07:47.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    The solution for the Kensai is to simply get rid. Recreating STW without MI is the best idea. Battlefield Ninja and Geishas should go as well. Why not have the best of both worlds and mimic STW with a pure release then have the Mongols and the other daft units that came with MI as an expansion/add on/mini-mod?

I've eliminated kensai, xbows and ships from my version of Samurai Warlords, and the campaign plays fine. In fact, the campaign appears to be more difficult now. It's too easy to win the game with ships present because the AI doesn't use a good strategy with ships. I don't think the geisha is a problem because she is not an assassin in this mod. The battlefield ninja can probably be eliminated, but right now I want to see how the AI uses the unit.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2