Thread: General ideas

Default General ideas

Well first of all i'd like to thank the creators of this great mod for all their work.Secondly i have some ideas i posted on an other thread but didn't get any answers from the EB team:
    1)I had an idea. Why not include a city militia to the town garrison. I'll explain: often other than soldiers, the common populace would fight when in dire circumstances, just look at cartage at the end of the third punic war. so if we could add a small recruitment building when under seigethat can obviously only recruit levies, that would represent well the devotion of the populace to their current owner. and if thy aren't happy they could revolt and give the city to the attackers, but only if they are the same culture.
    I have yet to understand what in real life would have stopped you from recruiting when under seige. it's not like the enemy say: "hey it's not fair, we suffer from not having much food and therefore yall must suffer by depleating your numbers every turn and not recruiting, it's called good sportsmanship!" i find the entire seige sistem devised in RTW to be completely unrealistic, if a city is big, has big supplys and doesen't have to maintain a large number of soldiers, the first casualties from famine should come after at least a year.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Default Re: General ideas

I know what you mean. But. as far as i know you can´t recruit when under siege therefore i don´t beleive you could so to recruit levies. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Well first of all i'd like to thank the creators of this great mod for all their work.Secondly i have some ideas i posted on an other thread but didn't get any answers from the EB team:
    1)I had an idea. Why not include a city militia to the town garrison. I'll explain: often other than soldiers, the common populace would fight when in dire circumstances, just look at cartage at the end of the third punic war. so if we could add a small recruitment building when under seigethat can obviously only recruit levies, that would represent well the devotion of the populace to their current owner. and if thy aren't happy they could revolt and give the city to the attackers, but only if they are the same culture.
    I have yet to understand what in real life would have stopped you from recruiting when under seige. it's not like the enemy say: "hey it's not fair, we suffer from not having much food and therefore yall must suffer by depleating your numbers every turn and not recruiting, it's called good sportsmanship!" i find the entire seige sistem devised in RTW to be completely unrealistic, if a city is big, has big supplys and doesen't have to maintain a large number of soldiers, the first casualties from famine should come after at least a year.
    I think the whole point of not being able to recruit standard troops is that most proffesional troops need a field to train in, at least I'd assume so. If you could recruit levies though, that would be nice.. I remember back in the day winning with Apletheuroi (sp?) and a few militia spreamen against large armies.. good days. lol

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

You cannot recruit when under siege. This is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

For EBI, there was discussion of a "garrison script" that will spawn weak units when a town is under siege to represent the fact that the towns folk are being armed. The script however would require a huge increase to the already bulky script and was decided against. There is also the problem of the fact you can't disband those units to make those towns folk go back to their old jobs if they manage to lift the siege.

But how did CA get the idea that during a seige you can't recruit? I mean in every single book on anchent and medieval warfare it says about levying troops from the populace.....

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    But how did CA get the idea that during a seige you can't recruit? I mean in every single book on anchent and medieval warfare it says about levying troops from the populace.....
    Nobody knows

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Well, it would be pretty annoying to be trying to starve out a town in vanilla, waiting 12 turns, and they create an entire Praetorian Legion within the city. It's reasons are tied to gameplay.

And the fact that it is easier to not be able to recruit anything than only to be able to recruit levies. That would take up much coding and memory and extra difficulty for the AI to cope with.

So much extra work for something that can be solved simply by making recruitment unavailable during seiges.

Another option would be to make all recruitment possible, but then you'd get what MAA says.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Oh sorry, you guys do know why did so.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

city garrison script is simply annoying.... I must use catapults against antioch, rome, carthago, or syrakusai in XGM... to kill them in the very first turn!

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Afraid to let the AI win, CuteWolf?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

It may have been to try to restrict expansion. If the AI was more competent, the fact that you can't recruit during sieges means that you either have to reroute troops to break the siege, diverting troops from the attack, or keep a substantial force on the homefront to maintain adequate protection, which drives up army upkeep, which means you have less money to provide for an attacking army.

In an ideal game which follows the economic principle of scarcity, that's how the game would work. However, the AI is an unaggressive panzy, so the idea doesn't translate well.

Ay least those are my thoughts.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Ok all your explanations have been clearifying and complete, thx all
    But i still have some some issues i'd like to discuss: "with any barbarian" faction it's not possible to build huge cities, while for example the saba and early parthians can. They are all just as "barbaric" as the other, so i belive they should either all be able to make 'em or none should. It's utterly unfair.
    Plus i think cities grow to fast too soon, either the bonuses from public health should be redused or the space between each level should be lenghtened and consecuently the bonuses should not dissapear once a city reaches the huge cite level.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

@skullheadhq
    that was ruining prospects to get an easy siege battle.... a kind of affraid is (ashamedly) yes... Have you got a headache like this, I going to take Carthago with 10 low quality units stack, they had only 2 units left in the cities, and then at the second turn, they have full stack, including Sacred Band? an Easy winning quickly turns out to be Nigh-Impossible ones...

Sabaeans are not barbarians.... and Parthians doesn't too... but I agree to get the Barbarians ability to tech up more...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

That's why i put the "". the sabas and early parthians were just as "uncivilized" in hellenic or roman terms as eg the saka due to the arsperity of thier climate.For the parthians things changed as they came in contact with the hellenistic world, the sabas however were never close to a super power until the advent of the sassanids who conquered the part of arabia that goes from the north coast to ruffly their territory.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 02-14-2009 at 21:14.

Well no answers there......
    I'd like to ask if someone could enlighten me on a few images i have foun in Eb/Data/fmv/lose, there are a number of images and videos i don't understand, for example anabasis.TGA,triumph 1 2 and 3.TGA and Baktria_rebels start.TGA they make no sense. Would someone explain me what they are?