Thread: Internal Policy Buildings

Default Internal Policy Buildings

I hope this hasn't been discussed before, it's just an idea a got while building a "Grant of Land" a while back:

I think it would be interesting (and easily viable) to simulate different kinds of internal policies beyond the selection of a government type using buildings similar to the "Grant of Land". Those buildings would all give advantages as well as disadvantages and would have 1 season construction time, this way one could choose one of them depending on the current situation in the settlement then, once the situation has changed, he could easily destroy it and build a different one. (Of course it would only be possible to have one policy at a time)

A few examples:

• Bread and Circuses: +15% Happiness, -15% Tax income
    • Quarantine: +30% Health, Huge decrease in trade (meant to fight plagues)
    • Support of the Aristocracy: -10% Happiness, Trade bonus, 5% Tax Bonus

The only problem I see is that you may not be able to destroy your policies once you've more then 40buildings in a settlement.

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

Default Re: Internal Policy Buildings

I would love to see that, too. While the current "tax rate" and some buildings as well as the governor's skills symbolise the way the settlement is governed, I would love to see more detailed stuff like this. In fact, I would love to see some buildings which would control the population, because sometimes in EB it can get nasty.

However, isn't there a hardcoded number of buildings or something?

Bread and Circus: We already have that in EB1. It's called low tax level.
    Quarantine: We can't detect whether a city has the plague, or when it stops. That building would create a crazy population growth.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Bread and Circus: We already have that in EB1. It's called low tax level.
    Right, but you could have low tax and bread and circuses. Also I think B&C is better for rp.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Quarantine: We can't detect whether a city has the plague, or when it stops. That building would create a crazy population growth.
    You got a point there. I still like the idea, but it is too easy to misuse.

Anyway, those were only two examples, I can easily come up with more:

• Financial Support for Immigrants: +0.5 population growth, -5% Tax
    • Forcible Oppression of the Locals: -3% Population growth, +10 unrest, + 15% public order/law (In know this is already represented by the traits over your gouverneur, but that his personality, not a political measure)

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

Panem et circenses is already in the game. Low tax rates and Annual Competitions when you've build an amphitheatre.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

So... You think oppression of the populace creates more public order? Is that what you see in modern conflicts? We cannot model the effects over time anyway, so extermination/enslavement is as good a representation as we can make of this.

Your "Financial Support for Immigrants" can also be represented by low tax level.
    Last edited by bovi; 02-17-2009 at 08:31.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I've had a few thoughts about improving the EB system (eg an idea about granaries), but everything I come up with on reflection is already well represented. Its good that the mod can stand up to robust examination.

I really enjoy reading proposals like the OP and the carefully thought out responses, it shows how well the evolved system has been thought through.

Can't wait to see what the team does with the M2TW culture/religion/whatever thingy. And guilds.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat