Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age of Sail - Ships from the 15th Cent. onwards

Default Re: Age of Sail - Ships from the 15th Cent. onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah View Post
    Bit o' trivia- the "square" sails are called that NOT because of their shape (they aren't really square, after all, base is longer than top), but because they're square (ie, 90 degrees) to the axis of movement.

Separately- I wonder if anyone else has ever sailed on a tall ship? I spent a month on Gazela, out of Philidelphia. If so, maybe we could start a new thread on that. But where would that thread belong? Prob not in the "Parliament"...
    Gazela? This one?

or this one?

I'm interested in your story. Carry on Obadiah ...
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Here's some pics of the HMS Surprise, formerly The Rose built in 1970. She was orginally modeled after the HMS Rose (1757) but was refitted to closely resemble the HMS Surprise (1796) of Patrick O'brians Aubrey-Maturin series for filming the movie Master and Commander.

Shes the best (only?) example of a 6th Rate (small frigate) existing, in the world.

http://www.tallshiprose.org/

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah View Post
    Bit o' trivia- the "square" sails are called that NOT because of their shape (they aren't really square, after all, base is longer than top), but because they're square (ie, 90 degrees) to the axis of movement.

Separately- I wonder if anyone else has ever sailed on a tall ship? I spent a month on Gazela, out of Philidelphia. If so, maybe we could start a new thread on that. But where would that thread belong? Prob not in the "Parliament"...
    Sadly I never have sailed on a tall ship. But I would dearly love to. If ever I recieve a large windfall of money I am determined to commission a traditional sailing vessel and sail it around the caribbean.

It could be the Orgahs official boat, spreading the news of our glorious forum.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Ok, that first pic was larger than expected... sure wish I could edit my previous post

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
    Ok, that first pic was larger than expected... sure wish I could edit my previous post
    Keep posting regularly and a mod will notice you and promote you to member. Then you can edit your posts to your hearts content .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

That is one big pic though. You got to hand him that…

I reduced to 50% and still didn’t get it all in.

Looks like the photo was taken in Victoria, BC though…where else can you get a square rigger and a Soviet Sub and a Canadian Flag all in one picture…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The 74 gun ship of the line was pretty much the standard and most numerous ship of the line for most nations from the seven years war onwards.
    One of the episcopal clergymen who attended him went to the edge of the scaffold, and called out in a loud voice, "My lord dies a Protestant." "Yes,"
    said the Earl, stepping forward, "and not only a protestant, but with a heart hatred of Popery, of Prelacy, and of all superstition." He then embraced
    his friends, put into their hands some tokens of remembrance for his wife and children, kneeled down, laid his head on the block, prayed during a
    few minutes, and gave the signal to the executioner.
    - The death of the Earl of Argylle

Quote Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
    Here's some pics of the HMS Surprise, formerly The Rose built in 1970. She was orginally modeled after the HMS Rose (1757) but was refitted to closely resemble the HMS Surprise (1796) of Patrick O'brians Aubrey-Maturin series for filming the movie Master and Commander.

Shes the best (only?) example of a 6th Rate (small frigate) existing, in the world.

Ufff... half an hour later and i can almost see the masts... kidding :)

Great picture thanks for posting.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Marten- Umm, the second picture, I think... Ok, the ship doesn't really fit into this discussion, b'c while she *is* an authentic tall ship from the age of sail, she was never a warship but a fishing vessel.

Lobo- For those who know, the HMS Rose/HMS Surprise is a bit of a sad story. She was a built as a sail training vessel, meaning folks (mostly teens-college kids) crewed on her and she actually sailed the US eastern seaboard. But the non-profit that owned her had trouble keeping her going, and so she was sold to the guys making the movie. And to improve her appearance for the film, they extended the boat's stern (and other stuff I don't really know about), all of which destroyed her sea-worthiness and ensured she'd never actually sail again. So we gained an inspiring bit of film, and lost a real sailing vessel. Sigh...

Beane- there are still quite a few sailing vessels, including in the UK, that take on crew for specified durations. You could jump on for a leg of a few weeks- much cheaper than endowing an entire new ship!

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

It isn’t a discussion of only war ships.

And even though she is a barqueintine (SP??) she is still a sailing vessel…not technically a ship because of her rigging…

That is a sad story about the Rose/Surprise though…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Cool Re: Age of Sail - Ships from the 15th Cent. onwards

[QUOTE=lobosrul;2142562]Here's some pics of the HMS Surprise, formerly The Rose built in 1970. She was orginally modeled after the HMS Rose (1757) but was refitted to closely resemble the HMS Surprise (1796) of Patrick O'brians Aubrey-Maturin series for filming the movie Master and Commander.

Thanks, She is a lovely Frigate but she is not the best or indeed the only (I know you questioned this yourself) existing in the world. HMS Trincomalee is the oldest in it class still afloat anywhere in the world. She is moored in Hartlepool, UK and has her own dock yard mooring, period shops and stores, old fashioned inn and even a recreated Port Admirals house. As well as all this, all the workers are dressed in period costume, one word 'Fantastic!'. She was built in 1817 as HMS Foudroyant and was in Portsmouth for many years.
    Hope this helps.
    Dean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12