Thread: Where do I go Next?

Default Where do I go Next?

I am playing Romani on VH/VH and now control modern day Italy, crossed the Messana straits, which resulted in Carthage cancelling the Alliance, C'est La Vie. The question is what next?

1. Go to war with the Carthaginians and taking Corsica, Sardinia and remainder of Sicily, although this result in a long war with them. How productive are their N.African territitories?

2. I am at war with Epiros, so seaborne invasion of Greece, where I would imagine the cities would be good for my economy. Lots of cities close together and intense rivarly between, Epiros, Macedonia and Hellon, infact war!

I am tempted to seek an alliance with the Aedui to keep my northern frontier more secure as they are at war with the Arverni, who seem to be keen on an alliance which I have declined

Default Re: Where do I go Next?

Speaking as a keen Qarthadastim player, Sardinia would be a profitable conquest (mines, and Nuraghi archer-spearmen who are at least better than Toxotai) and oughtn't be too heavily fortified knowing the AI.
    Sicily is essential (at least for Carthage, Lilibeo is a nice little earner). Consider getting the Maretanians and especially the Numidians on-side before going for the African Homelands, though, because (from what I've seen) your Roman cavalry and skirmishers will let you down.

As for Epeiros; unless you're confident in your navy's superiority over theirs, I would restrict invasion to land through Illyria and Dalmatia etc.
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

I always go for Sicily, the islands and then Iberia (it has gold), then Carthage proper. Greece has gold, too, but it'll take much more to conquer it, with all the factions in there, and afterwards you'll be facing enemies from all sides.

In Romani campaigns, I usually conquer the Italian peninsula followed by the islands, going to war with Aedui and Karthadast in the process then hold back and develop my economy as well as a nice little navy and maintaining defensive armies in northern Italy and Sardinia. I would recommend you take an alliance with one of the Gallic tribes to secure your northern frontier, and try to make peace with Aedui. After the Polybian Reforms come, I replace the Camillan units in my armies with polybian ones, and usually set out for Spain to take advantage of the vast mineral wealth there, as well as weaken Carthage. It is my experience that after Carthage loses her Spanish holdings, it is easier to declare a ceasefire (as long as you ahve no land border!). After that Carthage becomes a very valuable trade partner, and usually focuses on penetrating deeper into Africa.

Now in my experience, in Iberia it is not to long before the Lusitani attack you and you are drawn into an Iberian war (very much a nuisance, I recommend conquering the whole peninsula for the mines). By now, a faction from the Balkans (usually Makedonia) has Illyria, and will probably attack Patavium, drawing you into another war. But by now, you should have a very strong economy, military, and even a decent navy, along with strong trading partner in Carthage and secure Alpine borders, so a two-front war shouldn't be a big problem and makes for interesting gameplay.

So basically my recomendation is to pursue war with Carthage until you control all her non-African holdings, fight a defensive war on your northern border if necessary, and expand into Greece when provoked. After that, the opportunites are limitless: I usually like to fight Cartage in her homelands before being sucked into war in Asia Minor with the Grey or Yellow Death. You can decide whether to blitz the world or play a more historical, expand-when-provoked game at this point, but however you do it, I find the Romans still one of the most rewarding and fun factions with limitless replayability.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Well, after conquering Taras i usually peace out with Epirus, and get some trade going with most of the greeks. I would prefer conquering them but it is a costly, and lengthy process, which is better if you leave it for later.

I usually beat the crap out of the gauls near Mediolanum, and conquer nearby provinces. Sicily soon follows, and a quick war with Carthage. All islands are taken except for the Baleares. I get a fleet ready since my economy grows quickly (2-3 triremes will do) and invade these greek provinces in Iberia as a base, plus the Baleares. Then i jump at the Carthaginians holdings in southern Iberia. Seriously man, their mines in there bumped my economy like crazy (the Carthaginians had level 2 mines there, which meant +5000 income!).

And since i am so rich, i decided to field countless armies. One i used to conquer Illyria/Dalmatia (conquer these provinces, they have a lot of mines and can be easily converted to fully romanized provinces, that is, if no one has converted them yet), and my other 4 are busy right now in Iberia, to conduct some quick conquests. Just remember not to pillage rebel towns, for they can be easily converted to good Romans, which will reduce revolt risk drastically and enable you to leave a small garisson and keep on with your conquests.

Conquering North Africa from Carthage is a must, but you should remember that the bastards got some nasty stacks down there, and that you cant reinforce your position that fast since you can only train units in Italy itself. Last time i dropped a full Camillan stack down there, i managed to beat 2-3 armies and conquer Utica and Carthage, but my army had been reduced drastically in numbers and i was having trouble to hold the provinces.

My advise - get 2 full stacks ready (or 3, since you should be damned rich) to conquer north africa. Go straight for Carthage, and Utica, and remember, that there is a river between Utica-Carthage... Killed countless Carthaginians in that place that way.

In my current game as Rome, i am conquering southern france/iberia and everything near Dalmatia/Illyria, and still able to put every single province building whatever i wish. Rome is so rich that it sickens me, frankly. Oh, and the Polybian reforms havent hit me yet... So you see.