Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February Preview!

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

Default Re: February Preview!

Hooray!

Hmm....I think Alin was pulling my leg when he said that the miniature pictures of the Oxybelai were "just crosses". And he said that the next preview wouldn't be until April 1st. I have a feeling that he's a part of the EB Official Disinformation team.

By the way, I am guessing that the Hoplitai do not have swords due to engine limitations like in the RTW engine?
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Yippee. Here's to the Gaza campaign for the next preview! Hey, I can dream can't I?

PS. Those Hoplitae must have really great dental plans. :-D
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 02-19-2009 at 04:53.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Yes! Seeing those awesome new units pumped me up! Why is it that every time I start to wander from the EB2 forums, a new preview is released? (Rhetorical question)

Quote Originally Posted by Novellus View Post
    Hmm....I think Alin was pulling my leg when he said that the miniature pictures of the Oxybelai were "just crosses". And he said that the next preview wouldn't be until April 1st. I have a feeling that he's a part of the EB Official Disinformation team.
    Hehe I would have ruin the surprise or better said surprises if i would said something else.

Great preview! Those units look fantastic, especially the Peltastai Makedonikoi (I think it's quite interesting, that the Ptolemaioi will have them too in EB2)!!

Those Hoplitai got me thinking though... how distinguishable will each factions units be with all this variation? I mean, sure, the Peltastai Makedonikoi seem to have some kind of recurring colors but the Hoplitai...? I couldn't distinguish the Macedonian from the Ptolemaioi ones. Please don't get this wrong! I love the variation in the panoplia which gives the overall visual experience a whole new level. But still, I'm a bit concerned.

Keep it up!
    Last edited by machinor; 02-19-2009 at 05:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

*faints*
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

Amazing! All three units are absolutely gorgeous.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Sweet.

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

All hail the EB team!
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Oh gods! Awesome work gentlemen! The beauty, the possibilities, the joy! Really loooooooking forward to this release...now off to play Hay in EBI to stop thinking about EBII....
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Distille pas que du doute... Member Martelus Flavius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Those Hoplitai got me thinking though... how distinguishable will each factions units be with all this variation? I mean, sure, the Peltastai Makedonikoi seem to have some kind of recurring colors but the Hoplitai...? I couldn't distinguish the Macedonian from the Ptolemaioi ones. Please don't get this wrong! I love the variation in the panoplia which gives the overall visual experience a whole new level. But still, I'm a bit concerned.

Well actually Hoplitai have none recurring colors, they are not equipped by state! Their regional appartenance appears on the shield, each symbol corresponding to a region or city, but certain are simply used in the whole hellenic world...

Actually the better way to distinguish yours from the ennemies ones is : Ennemy's direction facing Hoplite are yours, and those whose slaughter your soldiers are not yours!!!

Regards

Martel

Cohors Reformata Mini Mod for EB 1.1

Everything is so beautiful! And the voicemod commands sound awsome!!! Actually they are the ones that made me realise how complex and time-consuming this is. Thanx EB team!

now that is quality worthy of EB.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martelus Flavius View Post
    Well actually Hoplitai have none recurring colors, they are not equipped by state! Their regional appartenance appears on the shield, each symbol corresponding to a region or city, but certain are simply used in the whole hellenic world...

Actually the better way to distinguish yours from the ennemies ones is : Ennemy's direction facing Hoplite are yours, and those whose slaughter your soldiers are not yours!!!

Regards

Martel
    Then how did the Hoplites distinguish friends from foe? The ancient problem of 'friendly fire'.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abou View Post
    You mean Hellenistic.
    yes.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by machinor View Post
    Those Hoplitai got me thinking though... how distinguishable will each factions units be with all this variation? [...] I couldn't distinguish the Macedonian from the Ptolemaioi ones. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    Then how did the Hoplites distinguish friends from foe? The ancient problem of 'friendly fire'.
    Let me complement what Martelus Flavius already explained: this "battlefield confusion" is exactly the kind of feeling that we want players to have. In fact, I will encourage players to enhance that feeling by removing the green markers and the factional flags hovering above the units. This basically turns the battlefield into a gigantic "mess" when units break through the enemy ranks and attack from the rear. Then, not even the overall heading of the units will be enough to distinguish them. Just like a "real" commander of those days, ordering a retreat from the melee may not be an easy task and probably will be costly in terms of casualties. Of course, you can turn the green markers and the flags and everything will be easier...

The interested players will learn to distinguish the factions by the shield designs and (in some cases) by the different coloring of linothoraxes.

However, there will be some cases where factions share the same unit and skin (normally in low class units, where a peasant and his "equipment" would be common throughout a large geographical area). In those cases, the confusion will be enormous, yes.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post
    Let me complement what Martelus Flavius already explained: this "battlefield confusion" is exactly the kind of feeling that we want players to have. In fact, I will encourage players to enhance that feeling by removing the green markers and the factional flags hovering above the units. This basically turns the battlefield into a gigantic "mess" when units break through the enemy ranks and attack from the rear. Then, not even the overall heading of the units will be enough to distinguish them. Just like a "real" commander of those days, ordering a retreat from the melee may not be an easy task and probably will be costly in terms of casualties. Of course, you can turn the green markers and the flags and everything will be easier...

The interested players will learn to distinguish the factions by the shield designs and (in some cases) by the different coloring of linothoraxes.

However, there will be some cases where factions share the same unit and skin (normally in low class units, where a peasant and his "equipment" would be common throughout a large geographical area). In those cases, the confusion will be enormous, yes.
    I mean historically, how does a hoplite separate a friend from foe then?

they just said.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I am fixed on it now, no banners and general cam only, that way i will have the hardest possible EB2 expeirence, something that might just make up for the ai.

Thanks

"I don't know what they will do to the enemy, but by god they frighten me." Arthur Wellesy, later the Duke of Wellington.

Imagine yourself in a long hoplite formation, with your well-known farming neighbors in front and behind you, heavy helmets which prevent most of your hearing and a lot of the visual field; there's another line several meters ahead, with shield designs that you know belong to the rival city-state.

Then the guys behind you start pushing, so you push the guy in front; all the way until the actual clash. Then, a bloody mess of arms, metal clashing, shouting, screaming. You just look ahead and you see the metal mass of the front guy's helmet. And you pray to keep seeing it until the enemy line breaks and runs. That should take a couple of hours, probably less if under a scorching afternoon. If you get to be the first in the rank you'll keep behind the shieldwall and hit everyone that faces you.

If the shieldwall is broken and you have to turn back to run, pray that the guys behind you also turn and run, otherwise you'll feel a spearhead or worse hitting your back.

I hope this answers your question.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Sweet Gebus! Those are some fantastic looking units.

Can't wait to see them covered in their own blood when my good roman steel runs them through.
    Help make developers understand the importance of game AI and earn credits as a Game Designer. The Restaurant Game Project

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post

You really are evil, aren't you?

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

ok this is great great great great etc

I am only confused with the A on the makedons shield or was sparta not the only ones who used it

I am very certain that I am completely wrong because the gods cannot make mistakes
    [searches for a virgin to slaughter on the holy altar of EB]

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Sparta used the lambda (and "A" without a "cross"). An "A" doesn't represent Sparta.

64,8 stadies from the east bank of the scaldis

ah ok

I never had a course greek (some basic latin but not greek)
    see I was right that I was wrong

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: February Preview!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    EDIT: will there be a hellenic or hellenic inspired faction, based on the Occultus?
    What do you mean with "based on the Occultus"? Occultus just means hidden. In the past, the EB team used the term for factions that had yet to be revealed.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    What do you mean with "based on the Occultus"? Occultus just means hidden. In the past, the EB team used the term for factions that had yet to be revealed.
    I know what it means-moros explained this in detail. I was guessing that it (the mystery faction) was a hellenistic faction or influenced from hellenistic factions, though I could be wrong, and that it is just a faction that just happened to have used hellenistic style soldiers (thureophoroi).
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-20-2009 at 00:12.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Well, if its not the Pergamum Hoplite, that would be sweet. The Western Greek colonies would be sweet.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbelgian View Post
    I am only confused with the A on the makedons shield or was sparta not the only ones who used it?

[searches for a virgin to slaughter on the holy altar of EB]
    As MAA already explained, the sign on Spartan shield is actually L - for Lakedaimon (i.e. Sparta).

All sorts of abbreviations were used throughout the hellenic world and usually refered to deities. Therefore A, could stand Athena, Aftrodita or Artemis, depending on which one was the most favourite deity of the owner.
    To disambiguate between various possible interpretations other forms were used regularly, like ATHA for Athena...

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Therefore A, could stand Athena, Aftrodita or Artemis, depending on which one was the most favourite deity of the owner.
    Or Argos, Anfiction, Akraiphia, Aigys, Askra... basically any polis that starts with an A could be the reference of that shield...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast