Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February Preview!

Default Re: February Preview!

and most of the hoplitai in Makedonian armies would have been Hellenes, not Makedonians, thus we used shield devices from those regions and city-states which most often contributed troops to their armies.

as for IFF difficulties, the "royal" units will probably end up being more uniform than they are now (single color or shades of a single color on all their shields, for example) which will help to some extent, though the colors may actually be very similar between Hellenistic kingdoms. Just remember, we'll have men carrying banners, that'll help.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Distille pas que du doute... Member Martelus Flavius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Well, if its not the Pergamum Hoplite, that would be sweet. The Western Greek colonies would be sweet.
    It is absolutely not in our habit, to label somethin already revelead as occultus... Isn't it?

Sincerly yours

Martel
    Last edited by Martelus Flavius; 02-20-2009 at 17:50.

Cohors Reformata Mini Mod for EB 1.1

Then it is confirmed, there will be another Hellenic or Hellenic influenced faction in EB2 besides Pergamon!

Blog Entries

Curses! I bug the EB team for weeks to bring up another Stele, and then my computer breaks, so the EB team releases a Stele. *Mutters*
    Looks good though EBers. Keep up the good work.

EB Team,

I have never seen such a marvellous, enthralling piece of art ever!

All the best, and Keep It Up!

Ongoing campaigns:
    XGM: Seleucid Empire.
    Finished Campaigns:
    Vanilla RTW: Brutii (short).
    Failed:
    Not yet fortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    Just remember, we'll have men carrying banners, that'll help.
    SWEET!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

I love them!

Although i don´t know if someone mentioned this before, but some of the screens look to bright to me, i guess that is because of the render or something like that. I think they´d look even better ingame, in the video preview they looked less bright and more real, so i have no worries at all

Keep up the good work!

Ingame screenshots! Ingame screenshots!
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Looks great - I can't wait to play with it, and thanks for releasing another Stele. It may delay the final release, but we've already waited years for it, a few more days won't kill us but a lack of info certainly hurts.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gazius View Post
    it may delay the final release
    Nah, don't worry.

On the contrary, it motivates us to keep working and gives eye candy to attract skinners or modellers

Thumbs up Re: February Preview!

God Almighty, this preview is awesome. Get to work, EB Team!

gorgeous units... I love the diversity of the units' appearances, thank you for the update

Yeah great preview guys!
    get to work Eb team!
    JK

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

This has to be the best Skins ever made in a TW Game and any other video game...
    For realz
    Theyre Fd-Au GORGEOUS :D
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Thumbs up Re: February Preview!

Yeah, those hoplites and thureophoroi really turn me on.

REX POLONIAE Moderator KLAssurbanipal's Avatar

Very nice models!

Looking forward to seeing the March-Preview I wonder how the Roman Legionnaires look, and the African and Indian elephants.
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 02-27-2009 at 11:24.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    I wonder how the Roman Legionnaires look, and the African and Indian elephants.
    You get a quick glimpse of some elephants at the end of the animation video in stele 7.

edit: here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZC8sf1qWU
    Last edited by bobbin; 02-28-2009 at 10:57.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

This is as always a very promising piece of information. Really like the style of your previews. And the content is even better. The overall quality of the features you revealed is unbelievably high.

Really looking forward to EB II.
    Take all the time you need. We will wait (un-)patiently.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Now that work is waaay beyond being impressive!

..sorta come to expect that of the EB team though

I must say that fighting EB with banners etc off gives a totally new and far improved experience. I can see EBII with the varied models taking that one step further. The banner bearers will be a must though.

I don't know how long it will take but its going to be worth the wait and then some!

Keep it up guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    Then it is confirmed, there will be another Hellenic or Hellenic influenced faction in EB2 besides Pergamon!
    I bet for the crimean greek cities.

PD: Awesome job. I can't wait till the next preview.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    You get a quick glimpse of some elephants at the end of the animation video in stele 7.

edit: here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZC8sf1qWU
    Cool ^^ Thx
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

There are no words to describe your work, keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Awesome keep em coming
    Tribunus Decimvs Cornelivs Scapvla - BtSH

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just think EBII will have graphics like this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I Win!!

It's really fantastic what you made of the models. I will patiently wait for the best TW mod ever.

But, I think you got already bored of all the praises.
    So let me make a critical remark, or better, a critical question: I still think that a thoureophoros usually had no body armor. A thoureophoros with armor was then a thorakitai imho. Or not? For games sake it's surely ok to give armor to more units than in reality. And a thoureophoros is not one of the cheap and simple units in the game. But: are there really sources from which we can distinct armored thoureophoroi and thorakitai (which you depict as more heavily armored with mail instead of linen)?
    Last edited by geala; 03-12-2009 at 14:16.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Lightbulb Re: February Preview!

It'll be hard to find the thread again, but there is an old post explaining why thureophoroi are depicted as heavy infantry. IIRC it was because at least one chronicler mentioned thureophoroi being singled out with "other heavy infantry". Off course, it should be kept in mind that "unit types" are not as well-defined in history as in EB: thureophoroi may have meant different things depending on time and place. The team has also decided to go with the "heaviest" possible interpretation of each unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    It'll be hard to find the thread again, but there is an old post explaining why thureophoroi are depicted as heavy infantry. IIRC it was because at least one chronicler mentioned thureophoroi being singled out with "other heavy infantry". Off course, it should be kept in mind that "unit types" are not as well-defined in history as in EB: thureophoroi may have meant different things depending on time and place. The team has also decided to go with the "heaviest" possible interpretation of each unit.
    I'd be curious to hear which source groups thureophoroi with heavy infantry, because one of the only sources that I know in which a specific categorical mention of thureophoroi is made is Polybius' account of the crossing of the Elburz range, in which he classes both thureophoroi and thorakitai in with the light infantrymen.

Great preview. Just downloaded M2TW demo to see if my computer could handle it, it did! So now I'm really looking forward to EB2.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    I'd be curious to hear which source groups thureophoroi with heavy infantry, because one of the only sources that I know in which a specific categorical mention of thureophoroi is made is Polybius' account of the crossing of the Elburz range, in which he classes both thureophoroi and thorakitai in with the light infantrymen.
    didn't you mention, IIRC, in a thread a long time ago that all/almost all thureophoroi were without body armor?

well, look on the bright side: the units are still WIP, so if you can bring all your evidence together in a focused post, maybe they will see about it.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    Mp, I have profound respect for your views and thank you for your continuing presence. Thanks for putting this forth, as I know there are others there who share the same views, on what our sources are.

First and foremost, literary sources, good as they may be for getting a picture of the people at that time can't be considered 100% accurate, as writers of that time would call things with one name, whereas they would be called something different by another. This must not be the case with Polybios, as he was Hipparchos of the Achaike Sympoliteia (Achaian League) from 170-169 BCE.

Having said that, the tactical realities of the day were such that sometimes heavy infantry would be mingled with light infantry, being called light altogether or what have you or mixed with cavalry to achieve victory as Julius Caesar himself did in Greece against Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pharsalus
    It would depend on the commander on the ground and how he would use his troops at hand to go against military axioms and win (as the opposing general might be trapped by the "do's" and "dont's") of military doctrine, leaving the hapless historian in a jumbled mess, trying to find who was who, doing what on the battlefield.

This is further complicated when one takes into account that when a "barbarian" faction would assault, it would sometimes incorporate in its host heavy infantry, lighter infantry, gaesetae (naked men with just a thureos), spearmen and swordsmen, all of them combined. How do you call them? I guess one would have to pick by either percentage of each composing element, or their role in the battlefield. This would have been a challenge to the historian back then, that is for sure.

Then, something unimaginably simple comes along... Archaeological finds.
    When you have thureos (meaning literally door in ancient greek) carrying troops who are clad in muscle cuirass like the following...

and

it is difficult to classify them (found in present day Anatolia IIRC) as NOT heavy. The fact that they carry the thureos and are armored (thorax in greek) would deffinitely mean that they are thorakitai. There is no doubt in my mind that those are bronze muscle thorakes.

There is also an indirect quote for them. When Philopoemen reformed the Achaian League's army, he had his troops drop his thureos in favor of a small aspis and pike, "in the makedonian manner" in order to beat the Spartans (along with Antigonos Doson's troops at Sellassia). This means that prior to that they mostly used thureoi (plural of thureos) as shields. They would be the thorakitai and thureophoroi of EB.
    Last edited by keravnos; 04-04-2009 at 21:40.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast