Thread: Black Sea Provinces

Default Black Sea Provinces

I have posted about this before, but I hope there is more information now.

I feel the large steppe provinces around the black sea have to be reconsidered. Take the provinces of Skythia and Maeotis for example. I reality it would be relatively easy to hold the costal area around the Black Sea. If you however capture this provinces you get an enormous amount of steppe in addition to the coastal cities. It is not realistic for a faction to control this amount of steppe, unless you are a steppe faction offcourse. Only the coastal area could be controlled by a normal faction.

Is there any information on this subject?

Default Re: Black Sea Provinces

There is work being done in this area.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    Good to know! Thank you!

Please tell us more

Sorry, won't tell you any more at the present time.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

What's there to tell, its not like there's going to be an Amazon faction lurking up there.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

It would be great if you could implement the territory style of contol that there is in games like, is it Settlers, where your territory increases physically, rather than having actualy territory borders, and you enlarge the borders and what not. But having that on the campaign map...would be cool
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by _Bean_ View Post
    It would be great if you could implement the territory style of contol that there is in games like, is it Settlers, where your territory increases physically, rather than having actualy territory borders, and you enlarge the borders and what not. But having that on the campaign map...would be cool
    It definitely would be cool, but I don't think that is even remotely possible with the game engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

No, that's not possible, but there is a little surprise coming along those lines...

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

It was never going to be possible ...though I can't help wondering what the surprise is. Do we have to wait until the game release or will it be in a preview along the way?
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I dunno, Duke John found a way to mod in the old M/STW Risk board a few years ago but never got around to it. Who knows what's possible on the campaign map with a big enough script.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 02-22-2009 at 04:16.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Blog Entries

No, that's not possible, but there is a little surprise coming along those lines...
    *Badgers oudysseos incessantly about a possible solution to least favourite aspect of TW engine, than controlling a single village automatically entitles you to thousands of km^2 of land*

I wonder if there are going to be "Island" provinces in a "sea" of Eremos? Maybe thats a solution to the crazed warmonger AI attacking every neighbour.

It is a drawback that controlling a Black Sea port puts you at odds with someone controlling a village in the Pripet marshes. Some regions borders were less "aggravating" to their neighbours. Obviously densely settled regions like Hellas, Asia minor, Italy, the Levant and Palestine were areas with frequent conflicts so contiguous borders so the AI bellicosity is reasonable.

Maybe by isolating provinces in this somewhat artificial way you could pacify the AI somewhat in less historically "hot" areas. EG a ribbon of Eremos across the alps as a speed hump to AI Roman aggression into central Europe, or between the Ptollies and the Karthis, or throughout the sparsely populated steppe regions.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

And it seems a new clue for the Crimean greeks cities faction.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

I sure hope that there will be a Crimean faction, it would make for a nice new addition to EB .

Actually, Cartaphilus, all I meant to say is that the province boundaries are all being reviewed and some MIGHT POSSIBLY BE* redrawn, particularly in the Black Sea area. I won't give any details about what and where 'cos A. I'm not supposed to and B. A lot of it is not done yet. So no clues there about new factions, I'm afraid.

*You do all know what a conditional is, right?
    Last edited by oudysseos; 03-03-2009 at 11:03.

I tried the inverse psychology, but it has failed. :(
    Last edited by Cartaphilus; 03-03-2009 at 10:36.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

I'm wondering if increasing the devastation effect could help with this. You might have formal control over an area because you've taken the settlement, but there still are vast swathes of land with enemy armies on them, ruining your trade and causing unrest! The larger the province, the greater the chance of this happening and making a difference.

It would also make sense for the enemy armies to generate income just by hanging around your province. Not sure if this can be modded in, though.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor13 View Post
    I'm wondering if increasing the devastation effect could help with this. You might have formal control over an area because you've taken the settlement, but there still are vast swathes of land with enemy armies on them, ruining your trade and causing unrest! The larger the province, the greater the chance of this happening and making a difference.
    This is an excllent idea! I am not sure whether the devastation effect is moddable (probably not), but if it is, it should be implemented!

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor13 View Post
    It would also make sense for the enemy armies to generate income just by hanging around your province. Not sure if this can be modded in, though.
    There is such a thing already in EB - certain factions (especially nomads) gain some money via script if "GeneralDevastatesTile" (or something like that) trigger occurs. You can search for this in the EBBS script (and if you wish even customize it yourself rather easily).

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post

There is such a thing already in EB - certain factions (especially nomads) gain some money via script if "GeneralDevastatesTile" (or something like that) trigger occurs. You can search for this in the EBBS script (and if you wish even customize it yourself rather easily).
    Great to know that, thanks. Actually I think this is enough. If you set this 'raiding' income high enough, you don't really need to increase the devastation.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I wonder if there are going to be "Island" provinces in a "sea" of Eremos? Maybe thats a solution to the crazed warmonger AI attacking every neighbour.

It is a drawback that controlling a Black Sea port puts you at odds with someone controlling a village in the Pripet marshes. Some regions borders were less "aggravating" to their neighbours. Obviously densely settled regions like Hellas, Asia minor, Italy, the Levant and Palestine were areas with frequent conflicts so contiguous borders so the AI bellicosity is reasonable.

Maybe by isolating provinces in this somewhat artificial way you could pacify the AI somewhat in less historically "hot" areas. EG a ribbon of Eremos across the alps as a speed hump to AI Roman aggression into central Europe, or between the Ptollies and the Karthis, or throughout the sparsely populated steppe regions.
    That could be a interesting solution.
    Is the EB team thinking about using Eremos in a sort like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I would totally be down with this.