Since the .org is thinking about competitions and such, I thought I should resurrect an old idea that is easy to implement, requires 2-3 admins to dedicate maybe 5-6 hours out of a weekend, and perhaps award a prize such as a small logo ala hof.

Does anyone remember the ladder tournaments they had for gamespy back in the earlier days of RTW when those ladders actually meant something? Basically what they would do is start a tournament at say 3pm GMT, and run it for the whole day. Now obviously timezones would have to be adjusted for international people providing this were to ever happen again, but I quite like having tournaments that last ONE DAY.

Essentially it works best with a ladder system, so that matches have multiple meanings (one being for the tournament, and another being for the ladder). I tried to do this back at the start of M2TW when my ladder was flourishing (several hundred inactive people, yay!), but only one person showed up, despite a prize of 50 dawra for the winner. I think a 32 man tournament could easily be completed in a day's time, providing those who want to participate actually show up on time and are willing to invest several hours out of their day.

The tournaments were single game elimination matches, so you don't have to worry about games dragging on. in a 32 man tournament, you have a total of 5 rounds. If each round takes approximately an hour, then you should finish the tournament in 5 hours easily. Of course there are always confusions and such, but if you (ahead of time) make a list of when each round starts, then people who are late/no shows are eliminated.

Hypothetically, you could say:

Round 1 (32 people): 12:00
Round 2 (16 people): 1:00
Round 3 (8 people): 2:00
Round 4 (4 People): 3:00
Round 5 (2 people): 4:00

Finished with commentary!

Obv. won't be as prestigious as a typical 32 man, but for the sake of fun, I think it's worth it.

Just spurting out format ideas.