Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Police abuses

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: Two adults beat up a teenager

If you see ANYONE hitting a restrained little girl then you should stop them.

Of course you do... i was just ... thinking out loud shall we say, about why the trainee officer reacted how he did...

I simply said i would be quite unsure what to do...

It is hard when your personal morals point to one course of action and then someone senior to you in work points to a different course of action...

I can't remember the study or the findings to well, but didn't they basically prove that most people would follow bad orders given the right conditioning/scenario ?

Though i haven't watched the video my post was mainly based on what has been said in the thread...
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 03-04-2009 at 08:03. Reason: Removed provocation
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Unacceptable from a police officer judging by the video, although I think your being slightly unfair on the trainee, up until the punches on the floor, it was no more than (extremely) over-zealous restraint, which police sometimes have to do, it is also not shown what occured previously - I fear I would act in a similar way to the trainee in that situation, and it's very easy to fool yourself into thinking you would act differently in any given situation - the officer doing the assualt should be charged and fired though

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

BTW the teenager was booked with third degree assault for her part in the fracas.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Well, I say sack the police officer if I haven't yet.
    The shoe can't possibly have hurt him, there's no real energy or force behind it from what can be seen in the video.

The trainee, well, either he is a scumbag as well or he just knew that if he didn't do what the other guy did he might lose his job/be considered a rat etc. That's group behaviour/esprit de corps/whatever it's called for you.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

One of the biggest problems I have with police these days is the refusal to admit any kind of wrongdoing under any circumstances. I'm not sure if this is wholly or partially driven by legal accountability, but it still disgusts me. I watched this video, the cop was clearly way out of bounds and out of control. The legal system can and should punish him for it. It's not only this instance either, the recent video of the guy shooting the person who was already restrained on the ground and not resisting, random videos like what Mr. Dumper posted, those all disgust me. The police administrations over those individuals should have admitted what happened, apologized, and worked to make amends for what happened. This constant "We were in the right, it was justified" BS does nothing to help themselves or their image with the public. And people wonder why kids (and adults) these days do not like cops in general.

Regarding some of the sentiments expressed that the cop "was only human"... While that is true, law enforcement is a serious matter that deals with our civil liberties and rights, and also life or death situations. Law enforcement officers by definition have the ability to affect these rights in many different ways in the course of doing their jobs, therefore they MUST be held to the utmost rigorous standards given what is at stake.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    You're right, I apologise Hosakawa Tito. One too many before bed.
    That's quite all right IA; I took no offense. It's an emotional subject with little real evidence available to us of all the mitigating circumstances that led up to this apparent use of excessive force, heck there isn't even any audio which would be a big help. However, something caused this officer to react the way he did, and that is what needs to be found out and addressed so measures can be taken to try and prevent future incidents. One can enact all the laws, rules, procedures & directives one wants, but it's always the human element in the equation that trips us up. All one can do is require that law enforcement act in good faith and to the best of their abilities in the performance of their duties.

Not sure what video you are watching. Because the shoe doesn't seem to get very high nor very fast, so unless the cop is hung like a donkey (which given his anger levels indicates more like Maradona)... then I don't think it got him in the family jewels.
    Mere speculation on my part as are many of the assumptions on what led up to the incident, including the charges or lack thereof so far. We have no idea about what occured from the moment this young person was apprehended up to the beginning of that video, nor the officer's role in any of it except what the video has shown. You might be entirely right or only partially right in your speculations; without more of the story and the time to analyse the info and why it happened as it did...who really knows for sure. This one's in the public spotlight and there will be an accounting.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    I'm merely pointing out that the charge of 4th degree assault & use of excessive force isn't age specific, and minors have as much protection under the law as anyone. Let's also not forget the 15 year old isn't being held for stealing bubble gum. And though the video doesn't show it, judging from the officer's explosive reaction I imagine the shoe struck him in the "family jewels". That doesn't justify use of excessive force, but I wonder what the average person's reaction would be to being kicked in the crotch....
    I read an AP article saying that, according to court documents, the shoe struck him about the knee.

The BBC has a version of the video where you can see the shoe striking the officer and you can see clearly he does not flinch as he would if it struck his crotch with any force.

I believe police and other such agents should be charged with harsher penalties for the same crimes, because of the greater responsibility they have, and the fact that they have abused their power and responsibility. But I'd settle for them getting equal treatment.

Fun fact - I talked with my mom about this, and she told me how my Uncle was attacked by cops way back. He was a passenger in a car stopped by cops and started asking questions and generally not being a submissive little peasants. So the cops hit him a bit. My grandmother takes him to complain and the police say they can't file a complaint because they don't live in Milwaukee (where the attack happened) but outside of the city. And they said my uncle 'fell' down on his own. Funny how so many people lose all coordination around cops.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    I read an AP article saying that, according to court documents, the shoe struck him about the knee.

The BBC has a version of the video where you can see the shoe striking the officer and you can see clearly he does not flinch as he would if it struck his crotch with any force.

I believe police and other such agents should be charged with harsher penalties for the same crimes, because of the greater responsibility they have, and the fact that they have abused their power and responsibility. But I'd settle for them getting equal treatment.

Fun fact - I talked with my mom about this, and she told me how my Uncle was attacked by cops way back. He was a passenger in a car stopped by cops and started asking questions and generally not being a submissive little peasants. So the cops hit him a bit. My grandmother takes him to complain and the police say they can't file a complaint because they don't live in Milwaukee (where the attack happened) but outside of the city. And they said my uncle 'fell' down on his own. Funny how so many people lose all coordination around cops.

CR
    It's a good thing there are cameras to watch the cops now. Maybe your uncle will quit falling down so much.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 16:26.

My kingdom for a .

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Another one of my favorites:

this kid put a camera in his car and went to an area where a local cop had apparently harrassed and falsely arrested one of his friends. What ensues is utterly shocking, when he stops in an empty commuter parking lot, the cop threatens him with false charges, no turn signal (lie), almost hitting the cop car on the turn (cop was off his side of the road), swerving (lie),admits to screwing the guys friend, sees the camera and says he would just tear it out after the arrest -- and then doesn't arrest the kid and lets him go with the camera even after the kid tells him the city of St Louis had settled with him for a previous police brutality case (i think back up arrived so the cop had to back off a little). This cop is the height of stupidity. Enjoy:

http://www.noob.us/miscellaneous/cop...d-for-nothing/

I once posted this on another forum and, in true nature of the "we all stick together no matter what" mentality that has been discussed here, some people in law enforcement were like "OMGZ HE PUT A CAMERA IN HIS CAR AND WENT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE WHAT A SCUMBAG" Cuz, ya know, that totally excuses the cops habitual behavior.

Hmmm, I had a link to the police chief defending the cop, but the page has since been disabled. I might also note that the police officers dash cam was mysteriously not on, ya know, the cam would "show a different story." Riiiight.
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 03-04-2009 at 18:25.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Baltimore cop telling some children they can't skateboard at the location, except one kid has headphones and doesn't immediately hear......hilarity ensues....wow, I mean wow, just wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgW.../120208Cop.htm

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    It's a good thing there are cameras to watch the cops now. Maybe your uncle will quit falling down so much.
    What makes it even more fun for everyone is that laws are starting to spring up which state something along the lines of "people cannot film or photograph cops while performing their duties", under the guise of it being a tool for organized crime to perform reprisals on individual's families.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Hey, look, Fatty the Baltimore cop (from above) strikes again!!! I hope this guys career came to a grinding halt.....but probably not. Maybe he's just mad he doesn't get a real cop car....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Mts9gMGKo
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 03-04-2009 at 18:46.

Why is he dressed like that? and why is he driving around in a Noddy car?

I think I'd be pissed off if I had to dress as a clown and drive a toy car for a job.

He's just a bully and needs bringing down a peg or two.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Cop arrests firefighter who is trying to treat a wounded accident victim, because fireman wouldn't move the truck

http://flashovertv.firerescue1.com/C...99D2C3A56E6F86

Blog Entries

Cop shoots dog, then the department changes its story after they find the woman videotaped the incident:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFlWGeb_aw

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 03-04-2009 at 19:36.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

hey thats down the street from me CR

heres some cops shooting a peaceful protester with rubber bullets, then laughing about it later in the AAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63F...eature=related

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

What those cops really needed was a horse, to block the camera.

My kingdom for a .

Speaking of dogs getting shot, at 3:03 in this old video they shoot a dog that must weigh all of 6 pounds. the suspects turned out not to be the ones the cops were looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0T...eature=related

Blog Entries

And this classic one of a Chicago cop beating up a small woman bartender (and initially getting a misdemeanor after investigating cops refused to look at the video). A 2020 video that includes more police abuse and an investigation into the code of silence.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

hey i remember that one, the bystanders in that bar are ***** for not helping out, I don't care if he was an off-duty cop, once you start breaking the law you have to pay the piper, too. Makes me sick the cops tried to cover it up and it had to be leaked to the press.

Reminds me of the "tragedy" of the off-duty cop who was shot by responding deputies while trying to apprehend some "hooligans" in a parking lot, turns out he was drunk (drunk and gun is no-no) and the surveillance from inside the restraunt shows that he started the fight. A tragedy, not quite.

Cops tell crippled man to "stand up" then dump him out of wheelchair.
    http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php...sk=view&id=328
    Last edited by Major Robert Dump; 03-04-2009 at 20:02.

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

heres the kicker though. what do we DONT see?

what happened before the incident?

did the girl say anything?
    did the girl threaten the officers?

look, im not taking the police side on this but i dont judge quickly too. i like to see the WHOLE picture.

(yes yes, the officer mmad the little girl to hell but there HAS to be a reason why yes?)

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

I don't have a video, but here is the Wiki on

Antoinette Frank.

A New Orleans police officer. She robbed a restaurant, where she offered off duty protection, murdering her partner and two restaurant employees.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 20:06.

My kingdom for a .

And this classic one of a Chicago cop beating up a small woman bartender (and initially getting a misdemeanor after investigating cops refused to look at the video). A 2020 video that includes more police abuse and an investigation into the code of silence.

CR
    That whole news story is good, has some stuff already posted, but the cop on cop DUI stop near the end really says more than nay of us ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by ŞaoŞin View Post
    heres the kicker though. what do we DONT see?

what happened before the incident?

did the girl say anything?
    did the girl threaten the officers?

look, im not taking the police side on this but i dont judge quickly too. i like to see the WHOLE picture.

(yes yes, the officer mmad the little girl to hell but there HAS to be a reason why yes?)

Which clip are you talking about?

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

the OP one XD

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

Blog Entries

From reading various articles, I do not think the girl threatened the officer. She may have been less than polite. That's the sum of what happened before.

There is a reason - the cop is a bully, who thinks that he's above the law.

Cops tell crippled man to "stand up" then dump him out of wheelchair.
    I'm surprised the cops apologized. I mean, of course they should, but so often they don't.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

From reading various articles, I do not think the girl threatened the officer. She may have been less than polite. That's the sum of what happened before.
    It really doesn't matter anyhow. I'm not aware of any rule that allows a cop to give a suspect in custody a savage beating, no matter what the suspect says to them.

In these videos, I work under the assumption that we're not seeing the whole story. I assume she was mean, rude, uncooperative ect. Clearly, the officer was very mad at her. But that's still no justification for what he did. They were locking her in a cell when she half-heartedly kicked a shoe at him and he responded by beating her. There's no justification for that no matter how much she antagonized the him.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Two adults beat up a teenager

Justice Dept. looking into alleged deputy assault

"Assistant US Attorney Kelly Harris says the Justice Department just got its first look at the video Friday and that federal charges may be warranted.

“We do have jurisdiction anytime there is an allegation of excessive force by a police officer,” said Harris. "It falls under deprivation of rights under the color of law. It's a federal criminal statute.”"

I hope the feds throw the book at him. Just wonder if there is something for conspiracy to pervert justice as the rest of the department didn't do such a bang up job in charging him correctly... although there is enough evidence to say that even internally the investigators were not impressed with Schene's statements. I wonder if they will reopen his shooting and killing someone at a federal level. If the Sheriff's department can't effectively uncover such an assault until the video went public what actually happened at the shooting?

And the car... apparently she took her mums car without permission.

"According to court documents, Calhoun complained of breathing problems after the episode and medics were called to check her. A short time later, she was taken to a youth detention center and booked for investigation of auto theft and third-degree assault, the latter accusation concerning the confrontation with the deputy. Calhoun has pleaded innocent to taking a motor vehicle without permission. She was never formally charged with assault."

And I still love how she was going to be up for third-degree for the fight when it was all one way in the physical blows from the cop... who btw is 6'2" and 195 pounds... not some little guy with a Napoleon complex.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The biggest problem with an authority figure abusing his granted power is the eventual breakdown of respect for the rule of law.

Just look at the lack of respect shown law enforcement in general in this thread, comprised of posters from all over america, europe and australia.

THAT is why "assault under color of law" is assault of the worst kind, and is rightfully sanctioned severely in viable republics/democracies.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    I do not agree with the idea that cops are above the law. My own view of how the law would be approximately the following:

1. Normal crime, normal punishment.
    2. Attack a cop or a judge in uniform, higher punishment for the crime.
    3. A crime committed by a citizen who is within the law system and within their purview, the higher punishment for the crime then those above.
    I don't know if this is the case in most countries but I can tell you that in France, commiting any offense while being employed by the Police is an aggravation by itself (whatever the offense from theft to violence...).

And I can tell you that it is judged particularly severely in courts.

As a counterpoint, law officers (judges/policemen) are protected and violence against them is also aggravated. But, I know, from first-hand experience that the courts are more lenient against the offenders against cops than they are against their victims...

There are no excuse to the behaviour of that cop in the cell, but as some of the posters stated, being a cop is not being a super-hero... They are as fallible as the next guy, altyhough they should be held to a higher standard.

The fact is that there is no way to know what went down between the girl and the cop(s) before she was put into that cell.

How was she arrested ? I read she was arrested for car theft... Maybe she tried to run one of the cops over...

I am not trying to excuse the man but only to find some rationale for his "losing it big time"...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast