Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prussia

Default Re: Prussia

My first Prussian campaign just drew to a sad conclusion.

I was trying for victory on a short campaign, and my initial land grabs during the first few years went well enough. I kept an eye on converting the provinces that I took from Catholicism to Protestant and was actively building church schools to keep the conversion going along and the population happy.

The years has started to creep by and I had three provinces left to take, and since you have to hold them for until 1750 I thought it would make sense to make my final series of attacks - against Sweden, France, and a stronger then normal minor power (it had grabbed a few provinces and knocked out the United Provinces lol!) towards the end of the game so that I only had to hold them for a few turns.

I had three armies on the borders, just waiting for the right time to strike (I thought to hit around 1745, figure a few years for moving and seiging, and then just hold out and wait). My neighbors all around me had been battered into submission on my other fronts and it seemed that all I had to do was win these three battles in order to cinch a victory. A pretty promising position, all things considered...

Then there is a warning message as one of my universities finishes researching one of the later Philosophy techs.... human rights? Something along the lines of "there is going to be a revolution soon due to some newfangled ideas at the university"

So, feeling like a proper tyrant, I burn down the university. All of them, actually. And all the schools. I've come too far to risk a revolution at this stage, with victory right at hand in just a few scant turns...

Flags are waving! Gates are crashing down. There's a massive uprising and I'm asked to side with the government or the rebels. Of course I want to side with the government - I am the government!

So I make some attacks at the rebels scattered across the country. It's looking like I should be able to knock out the rebellion in short order - and just possibly have enough time to get my troops back into position to launch those final three attacks that get me all my victory conditions and win me the campaign....

...when a stack of rebels that I had failed to account for that turn captures Berlin, and the game suddenly ends! I'm shown the defeat screen, my soldiers bodies draped ignoblely over the cannons.

It was a really great learning experiance though, and a lot of fun. :)

Quote Originally Posted by thurjack_mahr View Post

I was trying for victory on a short campaign, and my initial land grabs during the first few years went well enough. I kept an eye on converting the provinces that I took from Catholicism to Protestant and was actively building church schools to keep the conversion going along and the population happy.

The years has started to creep by and I had three provinces left to take, and since you have to hold them for until 1750 I thought it would make sense to make my final series of attacks - against Sweden, France, and a stronger then normal minor power (it had grabbed a few provinces and knocked out the United Provinces lol!) towards the end of the game so that I only had to hold them for a few turns.

I had three armies on the borders, just waiting for the right time to strike (I thought to hit around 1745, figure a few years for moving and seiging, and then just hold out and wait). My neighbors all around me had been battered into submission on my other fronts and it seemed that all I had to do was win these three battles in order to cinch a victory. A pretty promising position, all things considered...

Then there is a warning message as one of my universities finishes researching one of the later Philosophy techs.... human rights? Something along the lines of "there is going to be a revolution soon due to some newfangled ideas at the university"

So, feeling like a proper tyrant, I burn down the university. All of them, actually. And all the schools. I've come too far to risk a revolution at this stage, with victory right at hand in just a few scant turns...

Flags are waving! Gates are crashing down. There's a massive uprising and I'm asked to side with the government or the rebels. Of course I want to side with the government - I am the government!

So I make some attacks at the rebels scattered across the country. It's looking like I should be able to knock out the rebellion in short order - and just possibly have enough time to get my troops back into position to launch those final three attacks that get me all my victory conditions and win me the campaign....

...when a stack of rebels that I had failed to account for that turn captures Berlin, and the game suddenly ends! I'm shown the defeat screen, my soldiers bodies draped ignoblely over the cannons.

Wow, just wow. Way to go Prussia. See what happens when you let those scholars get out of hand and study all of that stupid enlightenment stuff? They take the rug right out from under you, and put your head under a guillotine!

Now I have learned from your mistakes, and will always keep a couple extra troops on my capital, just to account for the unexpected. It's unexpected things like this that make for fun campaigns though, even if they are campaign ending...

My Prussia campaign was going along a similar track, in that I had only about three provinces left to conquer, and my government had been fairly stable, but unrest was building. The three provinces belonged to Austria, whom I was at peace with. Because I suspected that I was not going to be able to avoid unrest during the time it would take to conquer Austria, I emptied out my home province, which had a couple of universities, and sure enough, rebellion followed quickly. I sided with the rebels, quickly defeated the establishment, and within two turns my new constitutional monarchy began to annex the once-mighty Austrian state.

Quote Originally Posted by thurjack_mahr View Post

This is me right now, minus the defeat. Revolution is a turn or two away, the capital is happy, but most of the other provinces aren't. Every other turn i find myself fighting off a rebellion! I'm chasing after Sweden in Scandinavia and trying to ready for an attack on Austria (my allies, but i have 5 years left to take the provinces i need, and they hold the last three). I can see the population breaking in to full-scale revolt as soon as i betray Austria. The populace already hate me and the Austrians are well liked.

After calling this game easy (which it was for the first 35 years of the game, and still is in some respects) i'm actually beginning to struggle. Financially i've got no issues, especially now the Swedes are out of the way (having my neighbour raiding the trade routes of my trading partners is not helpful). I'm struggling with Civil Unrest though, and my armies are stretched very thinly. I've got a feeling a war with Austria will end my campaign, my border with them is huge, and i haven't got the finances to fortify all of it whilst chasing Sweden and putting down rebels

My only hope lies in using the Turks, who i've been funding for the past 20 years in preparation. If they remain my allies and join me in the war then hopefully they'll push north and give the Austrians something else to worry about.

I'm playing a world domination Prussia campaign at the moment. My first time with Prussia too. First I took 3 years to build up some. I spent 5,000 on Austria for an alliance on turn 1. Then beginning in 1703 I took out Saxony and then Poland-Lithuania after that. Courland went down just before I cpatured my last Polish-Lith territory in 1711. Once these three nations are kaput the game allows you time to breathe and take your time to build up and go as fast or as slowly as you want. At least thats how it is for my campaign on N/N. The Russians never went to war with me so I've stayed friendly to them. Sweden fell next. Then Denmark. Britain was the only nation that gives me some trouble. Mostly trade blocking. I got caught up in that war of succession and they got involved against me.

I knew at this point I needed to either get the lowland countries or go for Austria. I decided Austria could wait since they remained loyal to me. I took out Hannover, United Provinces, and then the Rhineland. I then took out Wurttemburg and Bavaria. Each time Austria sided with me. Keep Friendly or Very Friendly with Austria and she'll stay loyal to you it seems.

At this point I had to decide wether Austria was worth keeping as an ally or not again. I decided I didnt want to have a nation in my way of traveling south despite having military access permisson. Not good having a potential future enemy inside my borders. So Austria fell after a few turns. Then I moved against the Ottomans. This is when I made an alliance with Russia. They stayed friendly to me and traded but refused an alliance until I went to war with the Turks. I took the rest of the Balkans. As I was marching through Anatolia the Turks decided a peace agreement was in their best interest. So we made peace.

So far in every campaign I have played the Ottomans seem nothing more than a paper tiger. They send in small raiding armies but have no large armies to throw at you even after you invade them. At least this has been my experience so far. They seem to invest more into ships and a navy than any armies.

Anyway, next I took Venice in one fight. Their western Greek territory will fall to me next. I didnt have time today to fight the battle. I'll finish it tonight. Next I'm going after the Italian states and then probably Genoa and then Savoy. I have no real desire for Asia Minor and The Middle East yet so I'll leave the Turks alone as long as they keep the peace which i expect they will considering how weak they act.

Great Britain is still refusing to make peace so after I clean up the Italian nations its either invade GB or go after the French or Spain. I havent had any rebellion problems. I build a church in every region and I been keeping one or two dragoon units in my conquored regional capitals so maybe thats why? I'm in the mid 1750s so far. Only income is through land trade and taxes. I havent spent a penny on India Men. Dont need to as Prussia. I'm making about 20,000 each turn to use for troops building and economy building. Its not a huge sum but it its enough to field three armies constantly and invade where I like and still build wherever I conquor.
    Last edited by Skott; 04-09-2009 at 03:34.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

I decided to build up for a few turns, but the Austrians declared war on me, and attacked me with err, 1 unit of militia. I quickly took their provinces, but finances were tight and Vienna went a bit feral. Once I had digested them I went for the small states who had decided to declare war on me (yes Wurtemburg, I'm talking about you), then headed for Venice. If the Polish had attacked me before I had consolidated the Austrian provinces I think I would have gone under, but they didn't. The republic of the UP decided to somehow dispute my succession, and lasted 3 turns as I was building up for an attack on France and Spain.

After deferalising the population I swapped Rhineland for Cuba, Liguria and New Mexico (useless, gave to Polish to waste money on) then declared war on Spain (and allies France). The French didn't last long, and the Spanish only a bit longer (gave me hispaniola for peace), and now I had a massive boost to my finances (I live off tax as the Brits blockade everything, and I had no ship at that point). I started building up to attack the Polish, who have been sitting around not doing anything for decades, and now have 109k worth of army, much of it parked next to each Polish city. Planning on killing them off in 1 turn to minimise trouble.

I also got as many protectorates as I could, so they give me 12k/ turn, a good return on investment.

The game is just about won, can autocalc my way to victory but will have to wait out 40 years to win officially, which is silly. Nearly finished all the techs and still make 25k.

Once I had consolidated Austria I was not really threatened. The Polish lost their chance...
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

I allied with Denmark to secure my back. Then attacked East Prussia on turn one and next Warsaw. After that I made peace with Poland. I also made peace with Russia. Then Austria attacked me but they lost Silesia and other region. They happily accepted peace. The only pain in the neck left was Courland but after some fighting (lost East Prussia twice) they were doomed. After that the usual suspects started rolling in and the small German states wanted their minute of fame. Their envoy who handed their declaration of war usually returned with a Prussian army following on his heels. The only states that were attacked by me were Hanover and Denmark. It is now 19 years in the campaign and I am the number one military power, the wealthiest nation and only lacking behind in naval power (who needs a ship anyway) and in enlightenment (France is number one but their Jesuit colleges count also as enlightenment). Next is probably Austria and the UP. After that France and Spain and the world is mine.

Edit

I first went through a couple of revolutions to get a constitutional monarchy. Then I attacked Austria with three stacks. This was a little bit optimistic as Austria had all its armies stationed near Ottoman territory. In the midst of the Austrian War, Poland decided to join the fun. They were quickly destroyed although I had some scary moments. After that Austria fell and I have now 22 regions in the year 1733.
    Last edited by Monsieur Alphonse; 04-13-2009 at 11:44.
    Tosa Inu

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I find Prussia to be one of the most fun factions to play (at least on VH). As a side note: for fun-game play, one needs to shoot himself in the foot first. Preferably in both feet...

In my latest campaign, I purposely overstretched myself (Prussia actually did the same thing historically) + by chance, got a really nasty queen that no one liked. It's 1750 now (long campaign), Prussia owns 9 provinces (out of 25 needed) and is considered an affluent but WEAK power... Almost every turn some shmuck declares war on Prussia and is soundly beaten back. Fun.

By the way, Russia has expanded to the Bosphorus; French have been destroyed by Wuttenberg (my next target); Dutch have been eliminated by Westphalia.

So, in summary: for a fun game, take it slow; don't blitz as some guides here suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    So, in summary: for a fun game, take it slow; don't blitz as some guides here suggest.
    Hmm...sounds mysteriously like EB...
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    In my campaign I only blitzed the first turns or so. After that I was the one that was blitzed and had to respond. Those blitzers were the small German states. And as you know you can't make peace with single minded (erm region) states. So I had to capture them. This is blitzing in a defensive way.
    Tosa Inu

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    In my campaign I only blitzed the first turns or so. After that I was the one that was blitzed and had to respond. Those blitzers were the small German states. And as you know you can't make peace with single minded (erm region) states. So I had to capture them. This is blitzing in a defensive way.
    Actually, you CAN make piece with those nasty minors if you really want it...

Destroy their armies in the field; besiege their city; allow the city army to sally and destroy it in the field. Press 'continue' once you have won the battle. After the battle, the siege will be broken and the city populated by fresh militia. Besiege again! You'll see that the autocalc battle odds are now 10:1 in your favor or better. Offer peace to the AI. It will agree almost to anything (even on VH campaign difficulty) as long as you let it live...

I've gotten several protectorates in this fashion. Sometimes they ask for money (if the AI senses I have it in my treasury).
    Last edited by Slaists; 04-22-2009 at 15:21.

Where can i recruit uhlan lancers? I tried looking in the building browser but i cant seem to find them.

Poland. Conquer Warsaw and you can train them.
    Tosa Inu

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Saxony also has them.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I'm a Medieval 2: Total War veteran and I just picked up Empires about a week ago.

Being as I'm not used to the colonial imperialism, Navy aspect of the game, I decided to start with Prussia on H/H.

I decided early on that I'd rather unite Germany than fight wars in Poland/Denmark/Sweden or proper Austria. I built up for a couple of turns, upgrading my military technologies and decided to make a dual strike with 2 separate armies on West Prussia and Saxony while Poland and Austria were at war since turn 2. I successfully took both and thoroughly enjoyed the land battles and Poland declared war on me. Dragoons are cool...

Upon taking these two cities, I combined most of my military units, save a General and several line infantry in Saxony, to go seige Warsaw. My plan was to get a quick and simple peace, gaining only a farm tech, with Poland so I could expand against Austria into Silesia and Prage, and then Bavaria.

I did not ally with anyone at the start of the game, just traded with Britain.

Once I invaded Austria, several of the German states were angered and joined the fight against me. The Austrians were bullied all the way back to Vienna and I was able to get a good peace with enlightenment techs and about 6 grand. Poland/Austria and the Ottomans are in a three way fight to the death at this point, around 1710-1720s (which has subsequently lasted till 1737 where I'm at right now) and I built up to take out Bavaria, who are really strong btw.

Fast forward to now, 1737 and I've got all the German nations, plus Alsace Lorraine, Westphalia, Vienna and Denmark.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you take it easy and don't blow your load too early, you can have Germany without ever pissing off anyone too important. Furthermore, don't get bogged down in Poland. Save Warsaw and the Polish for later, you don't need their lands early on and the most likely starting point for any invasion is Warsaw and by taking their capital you doom yourself to a fight to the death.

For Prestige Win Scenario:

If you're playing prestige campaign, chances are that eventually you'll have to deal with one of the two Indian factions. Since they're pretty much left alone (and build lots of prestige buildings), they'll destroy the other factions on prestige points.

My advice is, support the Marathas early on (trade agreement) and hope they win out. Fighting Mughal armies at full tech is a pain (by late 1760's they will be full tech). They spam artillery and 10-12 units of artillery spraying your army with shrapnel isn't a pretty sight.

Does anyone have any ideas on playing Prussia on VH in 1.4?

I find it a bit more difficult as Austria really really hates you and getting into a two front war isn't that great.

I found it weird but Poland really wants you as an ally and by doing so secures you from fighting an eastern war. Eventually Austria will take some of Poland's lands and you can swoop in and take it from them and then conquer west while Poland stays in the East.

It may also be necessary to invade North and take out Sweden.
    Last edited by nameless; 09-25-2009 at 18:37.

Take it slow, take it easy. Prussia is like a clenched fist all wound up and ready to deliver some knockout punches, thus the strategy with Prussia works accordingly: get ready, kill, fortify your new acquisition, get ready for a new target. Plenty of easy targets too: all those little one-province pip-squeak states are just sitting there begging for a good beating. One punch == lights out for Hannover and its ilk. Yes, some of them have friends, but their friends are either far away (like Britain) or no match for Prussian might (like Poland).

Slow and steady expansion really works well for me when I play Prussia.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12