Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

Default Re: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

‘Shortly thereafter [Mithridates] captured Manius Aquillius, who was the foremost agitator for this embassy and for this war. Mithridates led him around tied to an ass, and proclaimed himself Manius to everyone who saw him. Finally, at Pergamum, Mithridates poured molten gold down his throat as a rebuke against Roman avarice.’
    Appian, Mithridatic Wars, 21

‘Don’t you realize that the Romans turned eastward militarily only after the ocean had blocked their westward advance? That since the beginning they have possessed nothing that they have not stolen: home, wives, lands, empire?’
    Sallust, Letter of Mithridates, 17-21

‘While he appeared to be ready to answer their requests, he gave an arranged signal for his troops to surround the Jews. The Jews now found themselves in a ring of soldiers, three men deep, and they were dumbstruck at the unexpected sight.’
    Josephus, Jewish war, 2.169-74

‘The Jews saw that war was now fast approaching the capital, and they abandoned the feast and ran to arms’.
    Josephus, Jewish war, 2.517-19

‘This is because peace is not welcome to these people, and they cannot distinguish themselves more readily among dangers. Besides, a great retinue cannot be maintained except by war and violence.’
    Tacitus, Germania, 14

‘The first reports of the Cimbri and Teutones’ numbers and strength were incredible... They most likely were German tribes, whose territory extends to the northern ocean. This idea is supported by their great size, the light blue colour of their eyes, and the fact that the German word for plunderers is ‘Cimbri’.’
    Plutarch, Life of Marius, 11.2-6

‘Entrapped by forests, marshes, and ambuscades, the army was annihilated almost to a man by the same enemy whom it had been accustomed to slaughter like cattle...’
    Velleius Paterculus, Roman Histories, 2.119

‘From earliest times this country has had an ambiguous national character and geographical situation...’
    Tacitus, Annals, 2.56. on the Armenian plateau.

‘At the same time he talked in bold and menacing ways about the old boundaries of the Persian and Macedonian empires, and his intention of taking the territories that Cyrus once held and after him Alexander.’
    King Artabanus of Parthia in: Tacitus, Annals, 6.31

‘He looked over the row of prisoners, without any regard to their individual records, and... announced that those ‘between the bald heads’ were to be lead away’.
    Caligula in: Suetonius, Lives of the Caesars, Caligula 27.

‘Finally, as if he were to embark upon a war, he drew up his battle lines and set out his catapults and other artillery on the ocean shore. When no one had the least idea what he intended, he suddenly gave the order that they were to gather sea shells, filling their helmets and the folds of their tunics. These were what he termed spoils owed by the Ocean to the Capitol and Palatine.’
    Caligula in: Suetonius, Lives of the Caesars, Caligula 46

‘As for his horse Incitatus... it is said, too, that he meant to make him consul’.
    Caligula in: Suetonius, Lives of the Caesars, Caligula 55.

‘Nero watched the fire from the tower of Maecenas, delighted with what he termed “the beauty of the flames” and, dressed in his stage attire, he sang of “the Fall of Troy”.’
    Nero in: Suetonius, Lives of the Caesars, Nero 38.

‘”I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am the lord, when I take my vengeance upon them”.’
    Ezekiel 25:17

‘And no more under slavish yoke to thee will either Greek or Syrian put his neck, barbarian or any nation, thou shalt be plundered and shalt be destroyed for what thou didst, and wailing aloud in fear thou shalt give until thou shalt repay.’
    Sibylline Oracles, 8.121-9

A few more. again sorry i only have translations.
    Compassion and human kindess? Compassion and human kindness are for the weak!!

I've started going through the "old" quotes that need more accurate citations (only the latin ones). Here's what I could find for the Seneca quotes.

{Author_101} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_101} Iniqua nunquam regna perpetuo manent - Stern masters do not reign long.
    The quote comes from: Medea 196

{Author_120} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_120} Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis
    We do not fear death, but the thought of death.

The quote comes from: Epistulae Morales IV, 30:17

{Author_122} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_122} Constant exposure to dangers will breed contempt for them.
    The latin is: Contemptum periculorum adsiduitas periclitandi dabit

The quote comes from: De Providentia 4:12

{Author_45} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_45} In war there is no prize for runner-up.

{Author_46} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_46} In war, when a commander becomes so bereft of reason and perspective that he fails to understand the dependence of arms on Divine guidance, he no longer deserves victory.
    I looked long and hard but couldn't find these anywhere in Seneca's works.

{Author_62} Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    {Quote_62} Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est
    A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands. (or something to that effect - I think the text file already has a translation??)

The latin quote is incorrect. It should be: Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est

The quote comes from: Epistulae Morales XI-XIII, 87:30
    Last edited by Urg; 06-10-2009 at 23:36.

Here are the ones from Cicero, Tibullus and Ovid.

{Author_107} Albius Tibullus
    {Quote_107} Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.
    The latin is: Quis fuit, horrendos primus qui protulit enses? Quam ferus et vere ferreus ille fuit!

The quote is from: Elegiae I, 10:1-2

{Author_111} Publius Ovidius Naso
    {Quote_111} The gods favour the bold.
    The latin is: Audentes deus ipse iuvat!

The quote is from: Metamorphoses, 10:586

It should probably be translated as "God favours the bold." (ie. god is singular...but I'm not too bothered).

{Author_127} Marcus Tullius Cicero
    {Quote_127} Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possit - Nothing is so well fortified that money cannot capture it.
    The quote is from: In Verrem, 1:2

{Author_135} Marcus Tullius Cicero
    {Quote_135} The sinews of war are infinite money.
    The latin is: Nervos belli, pecuniam infinitam

The quote is from: Philippic 5:5

Here are the ones from Tacitus:

{Author_112} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_112} Great empires are not maintained by timidity.
    Quote attributed to: Tiridates I of Armenia, exhorting Vologases I of Parthia to send Parthian forces to Armenia

The latin is: Non enim ignavia magna imperia contineri

Quote is from: Annales, 15:1

(this quote is repeated below, at quote/author no. 7)

{Author_131} Tacitus, Annals of Imperial Rome
    {Quote_131} Barbarians: Greek Historians ignore them, reserving their admiration for Greece only. We Romans too, have underestimated them, since in our devotion to antiquity we neglect modern history
    This quote is incorrect. It is actually about Arminius and not about barbarians in general. It should be: He completed thirty-seven years of life, twelve years of power, and he is still a theme of song among barbarous nations, though to Greek historians, who admire only their own achievements, he is unknown, and to Romans not as famous as he should be, while we extol the past and are indifferent to our own times.

The latin for that quote is: Septem et triginta annos vitae, duodecim potentiae explevit, caniturque adhuc barbaras apud gentis, Graecorum annalibus ignotus, qui sua tantum mirantur, Romanis haud perinde celebris, dun vetera extollimus recentium incuriosi.

It comes from Annales, 2:88

{Author_137} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_137} The proper arts of a general are judgement and prudence.
    The latin is: Ratione et consilio, propriis ducis artibus

The quote is from: Historiae, 3:20

{Author_7} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_7} Great empires are not maintained by timidity.
    This is a repeat. See above.

{Author_71} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_71} Even the bravest are frightened by sudden terrors.
    The latin is: Etaim fortes viros subitis terreri

The quote comes from: Annales, 15:59

{Author_73} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_73} A bad peace is even worse than war.
    Attributed to: All the good men of Rome, worried about the Gallic revolt, circa 21 AD.

The latin is: Miseram pacem vel bello bene mutari.

The quote comes from: Annales, 3:44

{Author_74} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_74} The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
    The latin is: Nisi impunitatis cupido … magnis semper conatibus adversa

The quote comes from: Annales, 15:50

{Author_99} G. Cornelius Tacitus
    {Quote_99} Valour is the contempt of death and pain.
    I couldn’t find this one. Sorry.

...and here's the ones from Silius Italicus. I don't have access to an english translation of the text (Punica or the other works), so if anyone has access to one, that would be helpful (see below).

{Author_108} Hannibal Barca at the age of 9, ca. 238 BC
    {Quote_108} I swear so soon as age will permit I will use fire and steel to arrest the destiny of Rome.
    The quote comes from: Silius Italicus, Punica, 1:114-115

The latin is: Romanos terra atque undis, ubi competet aetas, ferro ignique sequar Rhoeteaque fata reuoluam.

I'm a bit stumped by the reference to "Rhoetea". Rhoeteum is an area near Troy. Given the Punica is a poem, and that Italicus lived in the period immediately after Virgil, this may be a poetic reference to Rome's mythical roots as set out in the Aeneid? Someone with access to an english translation should be able to sort this out.

Also, the words "on land and at sea" should be added to the end of the english quote.

{Author_66} Silius Italicus
    {Quote_66} In war we must be speedy.
    I couldn't find this one. Again, if anyone has access to an english translation of Italicus' works then they may be able to find it.

... from Terence and Publilius Syrus.

{Author_148} Terence
    {Quote_148} Auribus teneō lupum - I am holding the wolf by his ears.
    Quote is from: Phormio, Act 3, Line 506

{Author_59} Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_59} Pardon one offence and you encourage the commission of many.
    Latin is: Qui culpae ignoscit uni, suadet pluribus

Quote is from: Sententiae

{Author_6} Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_6} We should provide in peace what we need in war.
    Latin is: Prospicere in pace oportet, quod bellum iuvet

{Author_64} Publilius Syrus
    {Quote_64} He is best secure from dangers who is on his guard even when he seems safe.
    Latin is: Caret periclo, qui etiam cum est tutus cavet

Nb: Sententiae is literally a list of sentences (ie. maxims). There are no book or chapter numbers. If necessary I can find the maxim "numbers".

Without all the hoopla, here are the files for EB1 of you want to add some new quotes.

Quotes
    Descr_quotes_lookup
    Descr_transition_screen

Download all three files.

Quotes goes in your EB/data/text folder.
    Descr_quotes_lookup and descr_transition_screen go in your EB/data folder.

Say "yes" if asked to overwrite old files. It is always a good idea to backup your old files first, just in case. I will not of course take any responsibility if it all goes wrong somehow, although I might feel bad about it.

That's it. I have playtested these files on my own version of EB1 and have encountered no problems. If anyone does, PM me or post on this thread and I will do what I can to help.

The new quotes file contains ca. 240 quotes, at least half of which are new (you will have seen some of them on the quotes project thread). Almost all of the remaining old quotes have been redone to include correct citations and often the original language. A few old quotes do remain to be redone in this way.

All of the old quotes of questionable historical accuracy have been removed, including the Shakespeare, Confucius and Sun Tzu, as well as any of the other quotes that had questions raised about their authenticity.

The quotes have all been formatted and edited for length and appearance, and the strings have been renumbered from scratch, making it easy for someone to add or modify the quotes if they wish. Anyone interested in doing so is advised to contact me first for some hints.

Bear in mind that the work still remains to some extent WIP: you may find that some of the longer quotes overlap the artwork on the loading screens. The layout on EB2 is somewhat different.

I do not anticipate posting any more versions of these files for EB1. Any further developments will be applied to EB2.
    Last edited by oudysseos; 06-15-2009 at 12:26.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Not a shameless bump, but a note to say that the project is not finished.

There are still some old quotes to verify/cite, and plenty of good material still out there (there's an earlier post of mine that outlines as yet untapped sources). I won't be redoing the EB1 quotes again, but any really killer quotes could still make it into EB2 eventually.

And although the quotes themselves are a relatively minor part of the game, for me at least it has been a fantastic opportunity to reacquaint myself with texts that, in some cases, I haven't looked at for 20 years (yes, that long since college). I hope the same is true for those of you who have submitted material, or who have had a look at the Perseus project or found an old Loeb edition in a second-hand bookstore, or whatever.

For many of us, Europa Barbarorum isn't just a game, it's a portal to the world of the mind.

Heart felt thanks to all the fans who helped out. I had no idea that so many people would contribute.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... but I'm getting a lot of crashes with the new quotes files. No idea what is causing it.

Hold that...I think Ive fixed it.

Can you tell me what it is you did that fixed it?

Quote Originally Posted by oudysseos View Post
    Can you tell me what it is you did that fixed it?
    At first it was crashing continuously. Now I'm still getting the occasional crash, but its just occasional.

I think it was a vista issue. For some reason the files weren't transferring into the folders properly. After transferring the files twice, I opened the quotes text folder and it was still the old file. After the third time it seemed to transfer.

I foudnd the best way to transfer the files was to download them into a separate file than click-and-drag them across. Downloading direct to the folder, and cut and paste didn't seem to work well.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Oudysseos and anyone else who organised the new quotes. They're great! Really enjoying reading them as I play.

Cheers.

I just want to confirm that I have played 75+ iterations of EB1.2 with the new files without any crashes, problems or slowdowns. I suspect, for those of you who have reported a problem, two issues.

1. Vista: Urg posted that he had to make sure that the files were indeed copied into the correct folders. I do not have Vista so I can't confirm that, but let me just recommend that you download the files into a separate folder and then click-and-drag them into the correct locations. More than that I cannot say.

2. Not getting all three files: I just checked filefront, and the three files have three different download counts, which means that lots of people have not read the directions.

IF YOU DO NOT INSTALL ALL THREE FILES IN THE CORRECT LOCATION, THIS WILL NOT WORK.

I don't know if I can make that any clearer.

Although, as I said, I have encountered no problems and am confident that there are no errors, I will review the 2 ancillary files to make sure that all the numbers match up. If I did miss something, I'll repost.

OK, so I have reconfirmed that all the numbers, labels and strings match up over all three files: there is no earthly reason why these should be causing crashes, IF YOU INSTALLED ALL THREE FILES correctly. Without descr_transition_screen and descr_quotes_lookup, the new quotes will not show up in game, even if you replace the old quotes file. Vista users are urged to double-check that the new files have really been installed.

I have run another 50 tests on my EB1.2 without any changes, crashes or slow-downs, so if anybody is experiencing problems I'm stumped.

They're working perfectly for me too. And very enjoyable.

Oh, Urg, re: your message: as I said, the project is not in the least finished. In fact, I had never originally intended to redo the EB1 quotes at all. For one thing, the file was a mess (I essentially redid it from scratch). So the release of the new quotes for EB1 is merely a happy by-product, and also because I felt that so many fans had done so much excellent work (like yourself) that they should enjoy the fruits of their labours sooner than the first EB2 release.

But the EB2 phase is still ongoing. There are still some old quotes left to do as far as citation goes, and a lot of new material that is specific to individual factions that I left out of the EB1 version. There is so much of it that once I get to 300 quotes, I might start eliminating any old quotes from vanilla RTW and overly familiar ones from EB1, just so the whole thing seems new. I also eventually plan, since I have all this material on a spreadsheet sorted by author, language, culture etc. to do some kind of wiki for them, with biographical info and links to the larger texts that the quotes come from. That won't be done until after EB2.

So, short answer, keep posting stuff if you want. Anything really cool will get in, and I am always on the look-out for non Graeco-Roman material.

"The result was that most of them were cut down in the order of march, without being able to defend themselves"
    - Polybius, The Histories (III, LXXXIV), speaking of the battle of Lake Trasimene

I believe this is too modern.....

"United Gaul, Forming a single nation, animated by a common spirit, can defy the Universe"
    - Statue of Vercingetorix, Alesia (?)

(the statue was built by Napoleon )
    Last edited by Alsatia; 06-16-2009 at 22:28.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Arrow Re: The Europa Barbarorum Quotes Project

Recently, i read in an issue of 'Ancient Warfare' a very suitable phrase:

A general should be free from avarice. "For many who can face the shields and spears of a host with courage are blinded by gold."

- Onasander; Strategikos, 1.8
    A mid-first century AD greek platonic philosopher who wrote a treatsie on the role of the commander in the Roman army.

Here's some more missing Latin quotes/citations.

{Author_69} Publius Statius
    {Quote_69} The cruelty of war makes for peace.
    I looked through the Thebaid, Achilleid and Silvae and couldn’t find it. There’s a passage at Thebaid VII:806-807 that gets close. Maybe the quote is in error. Or maybe someone else can find it?

{Author_76} Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_76} An ambush, if discovered and promptly surrounded, will repay the intended mischief with interest.
    Latin is: Deprehensa uero subsessa, si circumueniatur utiliter, plus periculi sustinet, quam parabat inferre.

The quote is from: De Re Militari, 3:6

{Author_77} Hannibal Barca, addressing Phormio's lecture on leadership
    {Quote_77} I have seen during my life many an old fool; but this one beats them all.
    Latin is: multos se deliros senes saepe vidisse, sed qui magis quam Phormio deliraret vidisse neminem.

The quote is from: Cicero de oratore II 18:75

{Author_78} Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_78} Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline.
    Latin is: Paucos uiros fortes natura procreat, bona institutione plures reddit industria.

Quote is from: De Re Militari, 3:26

{Author_79} Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_79} A general is not easily overcome who can form a true judgement of his own and the enemy's forces.
    Latin is: Difficile uincitur qui uere potest de suis et de aduersarii copiis iudicare.

{Author_9} Gaius Julius Caesar
    {Quote_9} In war important events result from trivial causes.
    Latin is: Quod saepe in bello parvis momentis magni casus intercederent

Quote is from: De bello civile 1:21

{Author_98} Publius Flavius Vegetius
    {Quote_98} Valour is superior to numbers.
    Latin is: Amplius iuuat uirtus quam multitudo.

Two corrections in the quotes text file:

Quote 1: Hyth should be Yth

Translation 27 is incorrectly referred to as “trans_28” (when quote 27 appears on screen, the translation is missing. It does not seem to cause a crash.)

Final Latin additions/citations to the quotes text file:

Quote 31, Latin is: Nunc denique est perfectum ut imperii nostri terrarumque illarum idem esset extremum.

Quote 31 is from On the Consular Provinces, 33

Quote 36, Latin is: Nam si vos omnibus imperitare vultis, sequitur ut omnes servitutem accipiant?

Quote 36 is from Annales 12:37

Quote 45, Latin is Romanorum cum se non quo hostis uocasset sed quo imperatores sui duxissent ituros esse

Quote 46, Latin is Populum Romanum servire fas non est, quem di immortales omnibus gentibus imperare voluerunt.

Quote 49, Latin is Graecis, gente lingua magis strenua quam factis

Quote 58, Latin is Urbem venalem et mature perituram, si emptorem invenerit!

Quote 59, Latin is Nam, ut ego aestumo, regem armis quam munificentia vinci minus flagitiosum est.

Quote 65. Latin is Numquamne ergo familia nostra quieta erit? Semperne in sanguine, ferro, fuga vorsabitur?

Quote 66. Latin is Graecorum autem totae res publicae sedentis contionis temeritate administrantur.

Quote 66 comes from 7.16 (not 16-17)

Quote 69, Latin is Nos terrarum ac libertatis extremos

Quote 70, Latin is Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

Quote 101, Latin is Qui magno imperio praediti in excelso aetatem agunt, eorum facta cuncti mortales novere.

Quote 138, Latin is Amat Victoria curam

Quote 153, Latin is Fortuna belli semper ancipiti in loco est.

Quote 153 comes from: Phoenissae, Act 4, 622

Quote 218, Latin is Plus animi est inferenti periculum quam propulsanti.

I just checked through Urg's quotes from the Maccabees with my limited Greek vocab:
    Quote Originally Posted by Urg View Post
    εἶπον τῷ Ιουδα Τί δυνησόμεθα ὀλιγοστοὶ ὄντες πολεμῆσαι πρὸς πλῆθος τοσοῦτο ἰσχυρόν; καὶ ἡμεῖς ἐκλελύμεθα ἀσιτοῦντες σήμερον.
    "How can we, few as we are, fight against so great and strong a multitude? And we are faint, for we have eaten nothing today."

Jewish force to Judas Maccabeus before the Battle of Beth-Horon
    1 Maccabees 3:17
    The quoted passage starts at "Τί δυνησόμεθα..." as far as I can see, so the first 3 Greek words should be left out. Apart form that it's fine.

Εὔκοπόν ἐστιν συγκλεισθῆναι πολλοὺς ἐν χερσὶν ὀλίγων, καὶ οὐκ ἔστιν διαφορὰ ἐναντίον τοῦ οὐρανοῦ σῴζειν ἐν πολλοῖς ἢ ἐν ὀλίγοις·
    It is easy for many to be hemmed in by few, for in the sight of Heaven there is no difference between saving by many or by few.

1 Maccabees 3:18
    That one's fine.

Περιζώσασθε καὶ γίνεσθε εἰς υἱοὺς δυνατοὺς
    "Gird yourselves and be valiant."

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Emmaus
    1 Maccabees 3:58
    Not sure about that one... that first 2 words are fine ("Grid yourself and") but the translation of the rest seems to be not-so-literal, but should be fine.

Μὴ φοβεῖσθε τὸ πλῆθος αὐτῶν καὶ τὸ ὅρμημα αὐτῶν μὴ δειλωθῆτε·
    "Do not fear their numbers or be afraid when they charge"

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Emmaus
    1 Maccabees 4:8
    That one's fine.

καὶ συνετρίβησαν τὰ ἔθνη καὶ ἔφυγον εἰς τὸ πεδίον, οἱ δὲ ἔσχατοι πάντες ἔπεσον ἐν ῥομφαίᾳ.
    The Gentiles were crushed and fled into the plain, and all those in the rear fell by the sword.

1 Maccabees 4:14-15
    That one's fine. It's very interesting, that the word translated as "sword" is "rhomphaia".

καὶ ἔστησεν ἐκεῖ βελοστάσεις καὶ μηχανὰς καὶ πυροβόλα καὶ λιθοβόλα καὶ σκορπίδια εἰς τὸ βάλλεσθαι βέλη καὶ σφενδόνας.
    He set up siege towers, engines of war to throw fire and stones, machines to shoot arrows, and catapults.

Antiochus V Eupator at Jerusalem
    1 Maccabees 6:51
    That one's fine.

Μὴ γένοιτο ποιῆσαι τὸ πρᾶγμα τοῦτο, φυγεῖν ἀπ' αὐτῶν, καὶ εἰ ἤγγικεν ὁ καιρὸς ἡμῶν, καὶ ἀποθάνωμεν ἐν ἀνδρείᾳ χάριν τῶν ἀδελφῶν ἡμῶν καὶ μὴ καταλίπωμεν αἰτίαν τῇ δόξῃ ἡμῶν.
    "Far be it from us to do such a thing as to flee from them. If our time has come, let us die bravely for our brethren, and leave no cause to question our honour."

Judas Maccabeus to the Jewish army before the Battle of Elasa
    1 Maccabees 9:10
    Not sure about that one.

καὶ ἐμερίσθη ἡ ἵππος εἰς δύο μέρη, καὶ οἱ σφενδονῆται καὶ οἱ τοξόται προεπορεύοντο τῆς δυνάμεως, καὶ οἱ πρωταγωνισταὶ πάντες οἱ δυνατοί, Βακχίδης δὲ ἦν ἐν τῷ δεξιῷ κέρατι.
    The cavalry was divided into two companies, and the slingers and the archers went ahead of the army, as did all the chief warriors.

Seleucid army at the Battle of Elasa
    1 Maccabees 9:11
    The quoted passage only goes until "δυνατοί, ...". You can leave out the part from "Βακχίδης..." on.

ἐκ τῶν δύο μερῶν καὶ ἐφώνουν ταῖς σάλπιγξιν, καὶ ἐσάλπισαν οἱ παρὰ Ιουδου καὶ αὐτοὶ ταῖς σάλπιγξιν· καὶ ἐσαλεύθη ἡ γῆ ἀπὸ τῆς φωνῆς τῶν παρεμβολῶν, καὶ ἐγένετο ὁ πόλεμος συνημμένος ἀπὸ πρωίθεν ἕως ἑσπέρας.
    Flanked by the two companies, the phalanx advanced to the sound of the trumpets; and the men with Judas also blew their trumpets. The earth was shaken by the noise of the armies, and the battle raged from morning till evening.

Battle of Elasa, 160 BC
    1 Maccabees 9:12-13
    Hmm, could it be that there is something missing at the beginning of the quote? The rest of the quote is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Thanks heaps Machinor. My knowledge of Greek is, well, non-existent.

Here are some Latin quotes concerning the barbarians. Some of them are probably too long for quotes.

For with barbarians, the more eager a man's daring, the more does he inspire confidence.

Nam barbaris, quanto quis audacia promptus, tanto magis fidus habetur.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 1:57

For the huge shields and unwieldly lances of the barbarians cannot, amid trunks of trees and brushwood that springs from the ground, be so well managed as our javelins and swords and closefitting armour.

Nec enim inmensa barbarorum scuta, enormis hastas inter truncos arborum et enata humo virgulta perinde haberi quam pila et gladios et haerentia corpori tegmina.

Germanicus, addressing his troops before the battle of the Weser river

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 2:16

Our soldiers, with their shields pressed to their breasts, and their hands grasping their sword-hilts, struck at the huge limbs and exposed faces of the barbarians, cutting a passage through the slaughtered enemy.

Miles, cui scutum pecotri adpressum et insidens capulo manus, latos barbarorum artus, nuda ora foderet viamque strage hostium aperiret.

Battle of the Weser river

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 2:21

With barbarians, indecision is a slave's weakness; prompt action king-like.

Et barbaris cunctatio servilis, statim exequi regium videtur.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 6:32

Practise clemency and justice, which barbarians would like the more for being unused to them.

Clementiamque ac iustitiam, quanto ignota barbaris, tanto laetiora capesseret.

The emperor Claudius’ advice to Meherdates.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 12:11

He reminded Meherdates that the impulsive enthusiasm of barbarians soon flags from delay or even changes into treachery.

Monet Meherdaten barbarorum impetus acris cunctatione languescere aut in perfidiam mutari.

C. Cassius Longinus, governor of Syria

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 12:12

There is nothing of which barbarians are so ignorant as military engines and the skilful management of sieges.

Nihil tam ignarum barbaris quam machinamenta et astus oppugnationum.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Annales 12:45

In their rage and their triumph, they spared no variety of a barbarian's cruelty.

Nec ullum in barbaris ingeniis saevitiae genus omisit ira et victoria.

British tribes under Boudicea.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola, 1:16

They received his speech with enthusiasm, and as is usual among barbarians, with songs, shouts and discordant cries.

Excepere orationem alacres, ut barbaris moris, fremitu cantuque et clamoribus dissonis.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola, 1:33

He consented, with the characteristic perfidy of barbarians, to the destruction of Anicetus.

Fluxa, ut est barbaris, fide pactus Aniceti exitium perfugas tradidit.

Prince of the Sedochezi.

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Historiae, 3:48

Civilis, however, was naturally politic to a degree rarely found among barbarians.

Sed Civilis ultra quam barbaris solitum ingenio sollers

Concerning C. Julius Civilis, leader of the Batavi

C. Cornelius Tacitus, Historiae, 4:13

For the Numidians are, beyond all the other barbarians, violently addicted to love.

Et sunt ante omnes barbaros Numidae effusi in uenerem.

Livy, Ad urbe condita, 29:23

How inconstant and changeable were the minds of the barbarians.

Quam uana et mutabilia barbarorum ingenia essent.

Livy, Ad urbe condita, 29:23

With foreigners, with barbarians, all Greeks have, and ever will have, eternal war.

Cum alienigenis, cum barbaris aeternum omnibus Graecis bellum est eritque.

Ambassadors of Macedon, addressing the Aetolian League.

Livy, Ad urbe condita, 31:29

They live under customs and rites more brutally savage than any barbarians, nay, than wild beasts themselves.

Moribus ritibusque efferatioribus quam ulli barbari, immo quam immanes beluae uiuunt

Aristaenos of Megalopolis, denouncing the Aetolian League and Nabis of Sparta

Livy, Ad urbe condita, 34:24

The barbarians, as is their usual habit, spent the greater part of the night in rejoicing, in exultation and in noisy demonstrations.

Plerumque noctis barbari more suo laetari, exultare, strepere vocibus.

Sallust, Bellum Iugurthum, 98:6

Murder should not, after the manner of barbarians, be atoned for by murder, and blood by blood.

Barbaro ritu caede caedem et sanguinem sanguine expianda.

Sallust, Ad Caesarem Senem de Re Publica Oratio, 3:4

Antisthenes was taunted with having a barbarian, a Thracian woman, for his mother; his retort was that even the mother of the gods was from Mount Ida.

Antistheni mater barbara et Thraessa obiciebatur: respondit et deorum matrem Idaeam esse.

Seneca, de Constantia, 18:6

What else is it, in fact, but their anger - its own worst foe - that reduces to impotency the barbarians, who are so much stronger of body than we, and so much better able to endure hardship?

Quid enim est aliud quod barbaros tanto robustiores corporibus, tanto patientiores laborum comminuat nisi ira infestissima sibi?

Seneca, de Ira, 1:11:1

But there lives no race that does not feel the goad of anger, which masters alike both Greeks and barbarians, and is no less ruinous to those who respect the law than to those who make might the only measure of their right.

Nulla gens est quam non ira instiget, tam inter Graios quam inter barbaros potens, non minus perniciosa leges metuentibus quam quibus iura distinguit modus uirium.

Seneca, de Ira, 3:2:1

Such was the ferocity of barbarian kings when in anger - men who had had no contact with learning or the culture of letters.

Haec barbaris regibus feritas in ira fuit, quos nulla eruditio, nullus litterarum cultus inbuerat

Seneca, de Ira, 3:17:1

You are like the barbarians who, usually, when they are blockaded, having no knowledge of the engines of war, watch with indifference the effort of the besiegers.

Sicut barbari plerumque inclusi et ignari machinarum segnes laborem obsidentium spectant.

Seneca, De Vita Beata, 26:3

Latin words do not suggest themselves readily to one in whose ears the uncouth jargon of barbarians is ever ringing, distressing even to the more civilized barbarians.

Non facile Latina ei homini verba succurrant, quem barbarorum inconditus et barbaris quoque humanioribus gravis fremitus circumsonat.

Seneca, Ad Polybium de Consolatione, 18

Why do we find Greek cities in the very heart of barbarian countries?

Quid sibi uolunt in mediis barbarorum regionibus Graecae urbes?

Seneca, Ad Helviam Matrem de Consolatione, 7:1

A coin is not necessarily a bad one because a barbarian who does not know the government stamp has rejected it.

Non est malus denarius, quem barbarus et ignarus formae publicae reiecit.

Seneca, De Beneficiis, 5:20:1

"Why, oh why, have I not long ago escaped from all this torture and all this mockery? Why should I be armed and yet wait for death to come?"

'Quare, quare, non omne tormentum, omne ludibrium iamdudum effugio? quare ego mortem armatus exspecto?'

A barbarian warrior, killing himself (by a spear-stab to the throat) rather than fighting at the Roman games.

Seneca, Epistulae, 8:70:26

Nor were the barbarians as barbarous in language and in race as you are in your nature and your habits.

Neque tam barbari lingua et natione illi quam tu natura et moribus.

Cicero, In Verrem, 4:112

You have subdued nations, savage in their barbarism, countless in their numbers.

Domuisti gentis immanitate barbaras, multitudine innumerabilis.

Cicero, Pro Marcello, 8(3), concerning Caesar

But was not Romulus, think you, a king of a barbarous people?

Cedo, num, barbarorum Romulus rex fuit?

Cicero, de re publica, 1:58

The Greeks, who say that all peoples are either Grecianized or barbarous.

Si ut Graeci dicunt omnis aut Graios esse aut barbaros

I believe the Greeks were just as barbarous as the Romans.

Non Graecos minus barbaros quam Romanos puto.

For the Numidians, after the usual barbarous custom, encamped here and there without any regularity.

Numidae enim quadam barbara consuetudine nullis ordinibus passim consederant.

Caesar, De Bello Civili 2:38

Urg mate, you've really done some work here. Thanks.

I have already incorporated some of the edits suggested by Urg and Machinor into the EB2 build: as I have said I won't redo the EB1 quotes again. If anyone wants advice as to how to make minor changes or add more quotes pm me or ask on this thread. Let me say that I don't always include the Latin or Greek, depending on the length of the quote in general, as it has to fit on the loading screen. I will put together a separate EB quotes wiki at some point, with longer texts and commentaries. Not tomorrow.

Aristotle's De Animalibus Historia viii. 28, 7
    Ἀɛὶ Λίβύη ϕέρɛί ṯί καίνόν
    Libya is always showing something new.
    Just a little one that popped up in an unrelated project.

Here's a couple of older Latin quotes. Was trying to find something from the pre- or early EB time period.

If anyone should stir up war against his country, or delivers a Roman citizen into the hands of the enemy, he shall be punished with death.

Qui hostem concitaverit quive civem hosti tradiderit, capite puniri

Lex Duodecim Tabularum (Twelve Tables), IX

He took Corsica and the city of Aleria. He dedicated a temple to the Storms as a just return.

Hec cepit Corsica Aleriaque urbe pugnandod, dedet Tempestatebus aide meretod votam.

Epitaph on the sarcophagus of L. Cornelius Scipio, consul 259 BC

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

A few of my favourite excerpts from St. Crispian's day speech by Henry V written by Shakespeare - for those of you who do not know.

"That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us. "

"He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;"

"From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Everyman who I know who's seen combat lives by those famous words, "we happy few".

EDIT: perhaps some of this speech has been suggested but I only did a search for "we would not die in that mans company" so I assumed it would be fine to just throw in my favourite parts aswell as the first verse.

Oh! and another favourite quote of mine from Platoon ; "Everybody's gotta die sometime, Red!" - SSGT Robert Barnes or "The first casualty of war is innocence." - Oliver Stone

I think that last quote is much truer than the quote from Aeschylus "Truth is the first casualty of war" because you can still be honourable and truthful to an enemy to an extent. In some cases war TURNS dasterdly rather than begins with lies. You must first lose innocence to kill. Therefore before the first shots are fired, before the first man dies, before the first lie is spewed, The deciders have lost their innocence inorder to declare a state of war and send the young to death. The young will lose their innocence along the way to meet the enemy.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 06-19-2009 at 11:51.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

I thought all the Shakespeare would not be included.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast