Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod:MM653 Mods

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Arrow Mod:MM653 Mods

I also suggest ToonTotalWar's excellent "Continental,British,Hessian,Spanish & French Armies All-in-One Mod Packs" For other textures I have done which are not included in the two mods I have uploaded at TWC. I try to keep my loc files updated with his units in addition to mine, but he does work pretty fast and my loc files may not always be up to date :laughter:

I will answer any questions pertaining to the following links:

MM653 texture mod.v4.1

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2366

MM653 texture mod.v5.2

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2411

MM653_naval_crew_v2_0

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2450

MM653 US Flag Pack

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2522

MM653 Naval Mod: Toon Ed (Not compatible with standard naval mod)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2531

MM653 King and Staff mod

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2537
    Last edited by Mailman653; 07-16-2009 at 05:52.

Default Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

LOL. Mexico has an irish brigade unit....
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...30#post4627630

So this got me thinking, "let me look it up." And I found this:
    http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/mx%5Epat.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Battalion

Turns out there really was an Irish brigade in the Mexican army.

So I've decided to tackle the Mexicans for version 3 of the mod. Since I couldn't find not one detail or even drawing about what Mexican infantry might of looked at the time during its independence, I figured since CA gave Mexico an Irish unit that appears 36 years after the game ends, I could take a few liberties with the uniforms as well. I figured I might give them uniform colors from Texas Revolution which is a few years closer to the games time frame (1700-1800-10)

But, before I start spending untold hours on this idea, can someone *Looks at pervergreen*....I know your the only one that lives here besides me! confirm if Spain has an Irish unit for me? I'm away from home untill the weekend and I can't check myself. If they do, then that means the Mexican army is a clone army of the Spanish and negates the uniqueness of it.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 03-17-2009 at 08:37.

Post Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Wild_Geese

Yep, those Irishmen loved to fight. They were called Wild Geese, Irish Jacobites who fled abroad and found their fortunes in the various European armies, including the Spanish.

I learnt in another article that a very prominent French Metis, Louis Riel (French form of O'Rielly/Rielly), was descended from an Irishmen who served under Montcalm in the most famed of the French and Indian Wars, a dude called "Jack 'Devil may care' Rielly, one of Patrick Sarsfield's Wild Geese." That's nice to know. My Metis ancestors, through my dad, fought together with Louis Riel; it's nice to know this stuff.

Anyways, the point is that these Irishmen spread their blood throughout the world.

EDIT: Don't the Mexicans have the exact same uniform colours and unit roster as the Spanish and New Spanish factions? They're the triple clones; triplets.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 03-17-2009 at 08:54.

Yeah that's why I was asking if they were just clones of the Spanish or if they were different in some way, since they are apperently, maybe it's not worth modding.

Is the Spanish uniform that ugly in the game? I've seen the Mexican uniform from the demo and it's hidious. It's like a urine yellow with light blue pants.

Update:Their colors in the 1820-1830's was too "generic", (light) blue and red with white/gray pants......might not be worth the effort for faction that isn't even playble due to their emergent status. I'll have to test it out on a uniform before I can make up my mind.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 03-17-2009 at 20:40.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

That's the Spanish uniform alright. Quite hideous.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    But, before I start spending untold hours on this idea, can someone *Looks at pervergreen*....I know your the only one that lives here besides me! confirm if Spain has an Irish unit for me? I'm away from home untill the weekend and I can't check myself. If they do, then that means the Mexican army is a clone army of the Spanish and negates the uniqueness of it.
    I'd love to tell you, but I havent played as Spain yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

New version will be out this weekend, I'm going to include two-three flags of my personal use into the mod, maybe others will like them. I plan to maybe add or update a few units already included.

The update will also see the inculsion of one new faction, I haven't decided on yet if it will be Mexico or the Native Americans, the natives look rather plain imo, I don't expect to revolutionize them, but I want to try to tweak their apperance a bit; make them look more proud and fierce.

Post Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

My internet was down this weekend

As an update though, I tried modding the Mexican army to no sucess, they are complete clones of the Spanish; giving the Mexican army their own textures doesn't work. I needed to mod the Spanish army in order for it to reflect on the other, very weird. Quite disapointed since I spent a lot of time trying to research the topic of the uniforms.

On another note, I was able to edit most of the Native American skins, I'm not entirely pleased with the result, but I'll try to post some screens next weekend, hopefully I'll have internet access in my house again.

Well, my internet should be up and ready by the middle of next week finally and I'll be able to upload a new version (after I find a new hosting site as well).

I really would like to experiment adding new units but I don't feel confident enough going into the db files yet. There are lots of awesome texture packs comming out for European units so I think I'm going to try and focus on the Americas and minior nations. I've already completed a US grenadier skin based on real ones (who knew they even had any, I sure didn't) and I'd love to include two new units, Continental Marines and the 1st Rhode Island Regiment; one of the few all Black regiments in the Continental army.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 03-31-2009 at 04:32.

Exclamation Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    ...and the 1st Rhode Island Regiment; one of the few all Black regiments in the Continental army.
    I think you may need a new model for this. The other Black units in-game march about in bare feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I think you may need a new model for this. The other Black units in-game march about in bare feet.
    Actually I was thinking of using the Light Infantry model. The uniform is similiar plus I've already had some small success in changing one of the faces for the Militia texture so it appears as if it were an intergrated unit. I'm also trying to look into the possiblity of changeing the model of the US generals bodyguard to that of the lifeguards or regiment of horse since the uniforms are more sutible.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 03-31-2009 at 15:32.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Regarding Mexico, surely it'll be possible to assign them their own new units at some stage MM? I may be wrong though.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

It isn't that difficult, actually. There are already guides up on the TWC (yes, not the Org. We're a dying modding community ) on how to do it. With the pack file manager, it's pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by NagatsukaShumi View Post
    Regarding Mexico, surely it'll be possible to assign them their own new units at some stage MM? I may be wrong though.
    It might be possible. This weekend and into next week will be the first time I'll dive into the db files, once I get my current ideas working (US general guard units, marines, 1st RI) I'll revist Mexico.

For fun last week I tried a skirmish between Mex and Spain, I was litterally fighting the same units except with a different flag.

While on the subject of units, I'll take suggestions for stats on the Marines and 1st RI. The Marines will be line inf and the 1st RI, light. I'm thinking of making the Marines stats somewhere between Line and Grenadiers. And the RI a slightly better version of the standard Light Inf. With both units only recruitable to a max of ten units and if possible, the 1st RI only recruitable in Maine and Marines in PA. And speaking of the Marines, I saw a video online of a show on the Military Channel that went into the weapons of the Marines and they said that the Continental Marines used something similiar to buckshot in their muskets while at sea to increase their chances of hitting something. I thought it would be brutal and hillarious if there was a way to get a musket to fire canister shot.

But for now I'm going to just focus on getting them into the game, once that's done I'll see if I can limit their #'s and where they can be recruited.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-02-2009 at 05:08.

Exclamation Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

Wish I could be of help, but finals are staring at me in the eyes. It's one of those problems that get worse the further you procrastinate, much like the Julian Calendar.

I haven't even started modding yet and I'm already getting ideas of find away to remove the generic colonial line infantry and replaceing it with modded line infantry representing the various states.

For instance if you raise a line infantry unit in PA they will have blue coats with red facings, while if you raise a unit in NY, they will have blue coats with buff facings.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Excellent, very similar idea to the "fantasy units" idea we had at MA, where you would get different units in different areas, although that one was an idea to say get "Asia Minor Longbowmen" if you conquered somewhere there to try and show evolution in relation to conquests. So disappointed we never did it!

I love the idea MM.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Thumbs up Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

That's a fine idea, Mailman. Life is so much easier now that you can retrain your troops anywhere.

Continental Marines, WIP. Although they look like they can double as Loyalist militia

Update:
    I have to say I am a little dissapointed with the lack of varity in the uniforms. I was thinking of using one of the English horsemen models for the US generals unit thinking they had some unique helmets. They don't, its the same mix of tricorne's and dragoon helmets. I hope with the tools it's possible to mix and match parts although I highly doubt it. I would of prefered using the Marines model because of the hat but the uniform is all wrong so I'm forced to use the Line Inf model instead, although the use of the tricorne isn't far from being historically incorrect, the other hat is a little closer to what they (C.Marines) wore....for the most part.

I'm trying to decide between using the Light inf model or the Line inf for the 1st RI unit. Gotta test both out. I'm hoping the faces won't look too terrible, I have to align (and resize) them almost perfectly to the ones they are replacing if I want them to look decent on the model. I tried editing the normals.dds with the updated faces but I really saw no change so the issue is with the model, not the face.

OH, and I'm going to attempt to try to replace the drummer with the Line inf model as well, I'm hoping that the drum is another model that gets attached and that is not physicaly part of the drummer model. That hat they wear has to go! I'm thinking the same for the officer, the US officer looks too fancy. Based on all the pictures I've seen they looked quite ordinary. But I'll worry about these two ideas once I'm done with the other stuff first. I haven't even looked at the DB files yet, I'm just working on the skins right now.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-05-2009 at 18:58.

1st Rhode Island Regiment

Continental Marines

After X hours I finally got them in the game, I can't get their names to appear, but they are in and working so that's what counts. I'm going to keep trying to fix the text, at the same time start approaching those other ideas I've been having.

Update:I might not be able to change the generals bodyguard unit without having to create a whole new unit entry for it........On the plus side I was able to change the drummer model to something else! I was right, the drum is not part of the model but gets attached. I plan to change the US officer now and get a screenshot of both of them.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-08-2009 at 07:10.

Thumbs up Re: Mod:MM653 texture pack

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman
    Update:I might not be able to change the generals bodyguard unit without having to create a whole new unit entry for it........On the plus side I was able to change the drummer model to something else! I was right, the drum is not part of the model but gets attached. I plan to change the US officer now and get a screenshot of both of them.
    Nice!!! Don't forget that there's a fife-player on the ships in the naval battles!

Also, I really like the Rhode Island Regiment! A great piece of work, the black soldiers look awesome!

WIP

I tried to add eppaulets to the officer but as you can see they came out nasty. Too much of a bother for me ATM so I'll just leave him without them for now. I hope I can access my pack tomrrow, I keep getting some error, if I can't I'll be in some problems....no backup.....

Update:Alright, long story short I fixed the problem and the officer texture. Right now I'm looking into my idea of modded line infantry representing the various states but I'll need to look into the region descriptions or try to find a list of them to see if it's possible.

So now I need some suggestions, I need some imput for unit stats for the marines and RI light inf.
    It should look like this:
    melee attack:X
    defense:X
    charge bonus:X
    accuracy:X
    reload skill:X
    morale:X
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-08-2009 at 18:40.

Alright, I'm just about done with the mod but I've run into a problem with some textures not showing up. I've made three new line inf units representing various states. The thing is making them exclusive to a region requires editing the startpos.esf which I'm not keen into doing since I think other mods are dependent on this file, like the change turns per year mod. They are recruitable along the coast of the US and I've given them easy to identify names for example; Continental Infantry (NY,NJ). So although you might be looking at GA, on the recruitment menu you'll see the GA units but you'll also have the NJ, NJ etc appearing as well. Might be a little clutted but for realism sake they are there at least. I'm sure the historical buffs will enjoy the new units.

Lastly, if someone with some modding skills and time can look at my db files and find the source of why the textures won't appear on the new line inf units, I'd very much appreciate it, for the moment I'm stummped and this last issue is pretty much holding the mod back.

Update:I can't figure out why the textures won't show up, the model and equipment loads fine, it's just the uniform texture that won't load. Makes me wonder if there is a limit to the amount of times a unit model can be used....I don't know, I'm out of ideas. I've checked and re-checked my db files to see if I misspelled something but it all looks good to me.

Update2:I still can't figure the missing textures problem I think I might remove the three units from the mod for now.

It's a cross between a Generals bodyguard unit and dragoons. It's more expensive than the vanilla bodyguard unit but stronger, not to menttion being able to dismount.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-09-2009 at 08:47.

New version up, see first post for links.

WIP, Marine officer and musician.

WIP, Continental infantry for NY, NJ, RI, MA, NH, GA, NC, SC, CT.
    I was finally able to get the textures to show thanks to some help over at the TWC. I'm now just doing some tweaks here and there and I hope to have v.4 of the mod ready by the weekend.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-15-2009 at 07:25.

DeLancey's Brigade (Loyalist) with new English Officer.

The Queens Rangers (Loyalist)

V.4 should be ready by the weekend, I'm done with adding new units. Now I just have to adjust and tweak what's needed.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-16-2009 at 01:35.

I've merged V.4 of my mod with another mod over at the TWC, more details soon to come.

But, there still is going to be a V.5 in the the future!
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-17-2009 at 21:32.

Preview of V.5, still WIP.

New version up, V.4. See first post.

Another preview of V.5

*The Alamo

*Not the real Alamo, but it was good fun!
    Last edited by Mailman653; 04-23-2009 at 20:53.

Papal Swiss Guard, WIP.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 05-02-2009 at 05:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast