Thread: Fixed Arty: Horrible Bug

Default Fixed Arty: Horrible Bug

Anyone else noticed that when enemy reinforcements have fixed arty they are unable to enter the field of battle? Fair enough, but unfortunately the battle won't end until you kill them and how can you kill what is not there?

Those of us who use no time limit on battles are forced to withdraw and accept a defeat.

I'd love to finish Venice off in my current campaign however it's impossible as they have two stacks outside their city both with fixed arty. It doesn't matter which stack I attack or if I attack the city; fixed arty will be in the reinforcements and I will therefore be unable to win the battle.
    and New Zealand.

Default Re: Fixed Arty: Horrible Bug

Wow, thats a clanger!
    MTW just skipped fixed artillery in the reinforcements by my recollection.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Perhaps removing all fixed artillery, or making fixed artillery movable but extremely, extremely slow.

oooh that has to go on the bug list!

They should either be omitted from the battle or just sit at the end of the map.
    May the Foss be with you....

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Ouch! The reinforcement system in Empire has yet another flaw. Truly it was a step down from Kingdoms.

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll try and avoid battles like this until it gets fixed. Also be sure to post this to the official bugs thread .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Ouch! The reinforcement system in Empire has yet another flaw. Truly it was a step down from Kingdoms.

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll try and avoid battles like this until it gets fixed. Also be sure to post this to the official bugs thread .
    Actually, I'd be interested to see if other people are able to replicate it. It could be something that occurs only with certain factions (I was playing as Ottomans). I've noticed that other bugs such as the CTD bug that occurs when moving certain units or declaring war is not shared by everyone.
    and New Zealand.

Huh? I'm sure I've had battles with fixed arty in the reinforcement stack, and the battle just ends once I've won without any problem. In fact I generally try to make sure any fixed arty are in the reinforcement stack so they won't appear. Are you sure you have routed all the enemies on the field? I find the AI often leaves a unit or two hidden somewhere even after the rest of its army is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by PBI View Post
    Huh? I'm sure I've had battles with fixed arty in the reinforcement stack, and the battle just ends once I've won without any problem. In fact I generally try to make sure any fixed arty are in the reinforcement stack so they won't appear. Are you sure you have routed all the enemies on the field? I find the AI often leaves a unit or two hidden somewhere even after the rest of its army is destroyed.
    Yeah, I did consider that possibility but swept some cavalry around to check and I hadn't had any problems like this in the past. Your comment does show that this isn't a universal issue with fixed arty though. When I get some time to play again I'll re-load the battle to see if it happens again. If it does, I'll do a systematic search of the whole field to check for any hidden units that remain.
    and New Zealand.

That has happened to me before now that I think about, I didn't catch on at first and just thought it was a one off so ran down the timer and won that way. After reading this thread I started a new campaign as India and it happened again ... now I know why.

Surely all artillery should be pushable if all the gunners got behind the wheels and moved it, they should be able to push it around slowly? That would make a lot more sense to me.

never had any issue with this and spain had heaps of demi-cannons as reinforcements. if ur having that much trouble. go engage one of the stacks, destroy it and the reinforcements, withdraw if u cant win, venice should be left with a stack with arty in it and not much else, come back next turn and kill that too. fixt??
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

I bitched about this issue the other day, surprised folks didnt get up in arms about it and chalked it up to me being unlucky with extra bugs, but it looks like i'm far from the only one with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONxMortlock View Post
    Yeah, I did consider that possibility but swept some cavalry around to check and I hadn't had any problems like this in the past. Your comment does show that this isn't a universal issue with fixed arty though. When I get some time to play again I'll re-load the battle to see if it happens again. If it does, I'll do a systematic search of the whole field to check for any hidden units that remain.
    Well, I reloaded the battle (massive battle btw, I ended by killing over 2800 Venetians!) and this time the battle finished fine.

Therefore, perhaps there were some hidden units somewhere on the map I couldn't find in the first instance? Or perhaps this is some kind of intermittent thing as other people have also reported similar problems?
    and New Zealand.