Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features the EB team wants to see in R2TW

Default Re: Features the EB team wants to see in R2TW

Along with supply lines, the change I would most like to see is the ability of an army in enemy territory to affect the loyalty of nearby cities if another army is not present to face it or if that army has been defeated (think Hannibal in Italy or Alexander in the Near East). This would get rid of the need to endlessly lay siege to enemy cities after a major victory (which is not entirely realistic).

I think the reason why many people are dissapointed with RTW vanilla is due to the fact that CA decided to go with the popular history mindset when designing the game.

If the EB team are the one designing the next R2TW from scratch, the gameplay of RTW and R2TW will be totally different.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

@ray 243
    auto select heir as M2TW do? nope... better to remove disinherited trait. I got annoyed in my British Island English campaign, since Edward decide to give the Throne to his firstborn son, a noob with 0 stars, 0 chivalry, and 0 management, but 7 loyalty... instead of choose his second son, a battle-tested general with 8 command, 9 dread, and 7 management, still have 6 loyalty.

Actually I just want to see the fort are capable to produce some levies and mercs... not only act as empty defensive structures.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Which reminds me of another thing, you should be able to recruit a unit, and choose the amount of training they shall recieve.

If you have no enemies near your borders for several years and wish to save more money, you may want to lower the cost of your army by lowering the training. In a way, it creates a scenario where the performance of your army varies, not because of experience alone, but training as well.

This means some armies can be said to be a professional army, taking a long time to train, with you allocating a decent amount of resources and time for the unit's training. In case of emergency, you can raise a conscript army with less training.

Basically, for some units of Roman legionnaires, you can divert them more training and resources, while for other Roman legionnaire units, they will have less resources and less training. They are still the same units, but their unit attributes can vary.

Other than that, being able to orgainse the list scrolls helps alot, if you want to keep track of 20 over armies.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    @ray 243
    auto select heir as M2TW do? nope... better to remove disinherited trait. I got annoyed in my British Island English campaign, since Edward decide to give the Throne to his firstborn son, a noob with 0 stars, 0 chivalry, and 0 management, but 7 loyalty... instead of choose his second son, a battle-tested general with 8 command, 9 dread, and 7 management, still have 6 loyalty.

Actually I just want to see the fort are capable to produce some levies and mercs... not only act as empty defensive structures.
    Its what Edward would do. Picking a younger son in Real Life would often lead to Civil War, since it was the right of the eldest to succeed, despite his abilities.
    BLARGH!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    @ray 243

see to it that his regn is cut short before he has issue-that will do it (hopefully).
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    Which reminds me of another thing, you should be able to recruit a unit, and choose the amount of training they shall recieve.

If you have no enemies near your borders for several years and wish to save more money, you may want to lower the cost of your army by lowering the training. In a way, it creates a scenario where the performance of your army varies, not because of experience alone, but training as well.

This means some armies can be said to be a professional army, taking a long time to train, with you allocating a decent amount of resources and time for the unit's training. In case of emergency, you can raise a conscript army with less training.

Basically, for some units of Roman legionnaires, you can divert them more training and resources, while for other Roman legionnaire units, they will have less resources and less training. They are still the same units, but their unit attributes can vary.

Other than that, being able to orgainse the list scrolls helps alot, if you want to keep track of 20 over armies.
    I think these are great ideas. Maybe you could extend the training one by making some eilte units only available as an "upgrade" to units that had a certain level of experience/training. Which has the dual effect of giving elites real meaningful value and of stopping the AI (and the player) of spamming them. This system could also encourage the idea of a "training resource" that determines how many units can be trained at one time and how quickly - even maybe at an empire wide level, with just "militia", local or the lowest tier troops available from individual settlements.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Its what Edward would do. Picking a younger son in Real Life would often lead to Civil War, since it was the right of the eldest to succeed, despite his abilities.
    And the very same Edward then tell his oldest son... Go with 4 groups of English Knights, 5 longbowmen, and 6 armoured sergeants (looks like a decent army)... give a punch to William Wallace... but remember son, to show your bravery and worth,... you must lead the charge right onto scot's william wallace's personally... when wallace was move in front of their pike formation... and edward secretly order some of his knights to stop... letting his son die "Heroically - with killing Willam Wallace"

That sounds a nice roleplay, since the other nobility will perceive that his firstborn son was a real hero...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

NO HARDCODES!

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    NO HARDCODES!
    a near impossability: hardcodes are needed to establish basic parameters for the executable to run on (unit limit, size limit, etc). the best that can be done, is to reduce the hardcoded material to a minimum level. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the number of .txt files to run the parameters an executable RTW''s size is too much, not to mention the time it takes to process it all..
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

unfortunately yes even the best language even c++ cannot recognize the range of the creativity of the human ...

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished

no rebel cities
    it would be cool when all or most settlements belong to a faction, even if it was only a small and totally unimportant one! and when people revolt, then the rebel leader will form a new faction/ or after a while a leader with a desire to create his own faction could show up
    or there's a chance a destroyed faction returns like it was in M-TW

MTW my first love, it was good days I still miss the scrolls

My Submods for EB

I'd like a unified approach to scripting and data files (text files). On top of that I'd like support for a proper language such as JavaScript. A reasonably well documented and extensive API...

And of course most of the suggestions (I don't know about the game-board-thing-of-Shogun) already mentioned are on the wishlist.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-26-2009 at 08:06.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Some concept of upkeep and disrepair for buildings (SimCity-esque even). Its all well and good to build roads (or anything else for that matter) but they don't just sit there without washing away. Hopefully this would simulate economic cycles and prevent the terrible all-my-cities-are-huge syndrome suffered at the end of the game.

Before writing my ought to see and not wish to see list i would like to remind you all a few numbers from our beloved RTW box:
    Minimum system requirements: 1GHZ pentium III, 256RAM, 64MB graphic card.
    In 2-3 years when R2TW will(if) be relased we will have the succesor of Intel's i7 ,6GHz DDR5 RAM and 2GHZ graphics card common in most PC's....

So hopping that sega's CEO will put his programmers to work they will give us 40 units per army( i think 40 is a reallistic number. You all remember a consul army with 2 legions-20 cohorts- plus cavalry plus auxilliary). We will also have a greater number of men per unit 600 would be great for the first types of cohorts but in case this was a problem 300 would cover most units including late cohorts and phalanx regiments(16x16=256men).
    Also 40 pictures of buildings per city because the nowdays 20 do not allow you to see everything in a city.
    100 playable factions(many more celts,greeks,iberians,nomads.....)

The abillity to destoy cities(see Carthage and Korinth in 146BC from the Romans) and built new ones( i think Caesar built them both).
    The reallistic
    GLOBAL
    map (see google earth's ancient Rome) with all those you already mentioned. Rivers, unique cities etc etc...

The monthly turn would give realistic moving points to armies but it would be really late for a game to be developed so maybe the non-campaigning general winter(there were few wars this period in winter i think..)would solve it.

The realistic representation of the population and economy of that period would not need a huge processor, i think. Just a few numbers would be changed and you all have the 1,000,000 Alexandreia and small villages in the north.

I already asked from segas CEO many thinks so asking for a political system or new thinks we all see in other games (see civil series) would really make his programers tired .
    But imagive the eternal develpment of civil in R2TW.....

Maybe i'm a dreamer but i'm not the only one,
    I hope Sega will join us and gamers would play one(game-R2TW).....

PS sorry JOhn for imagine's use her....

Love the responsibility. Say: Me, me on my own I have the duty to save Earth. In case she is not safe I will be responsible. Nikos Kazantzakis-Salvatores Dei.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I like to see a more rise and fall of empires approach; certain factions gain upper hand, then lose it again. Most of the time this doesnt happen in EB with the RTW engine, and you get, by 200BC, if left unchecked, like, 6-7 factions left, covering all Europe. This could also be helped with other ideas already mentioned: civil war, rise of smaller factions, reintroduction of dead factions...
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

A bunch of these requests or reasonably close approximations are present in ETW :)
    Still a bunch of great ideas here.

Some not mentioned yet:
    *Proper coastal cities -related to cities on rivers/unique layouts
    *Sea battles! -Galleys are in ETW but ramming doesn't do much (may be doing some that isn't represented on the hull strength bars though?) I wanna see some 15s & 30s etc :D
    *A new Manoeuvre layer for when armies approach. -This would give say several days/weeks of turns (or 'real time'?) where you can attempt to escape battle/scout the enemy position?/choose your ground/perform large turning movements/circumvallation/bombardment/sapping etc.
    This would have your army visible in marching order which is something currently not visible & would satisfy my desires for 'army view'.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

I'd like to see a recruitment tab for the schools. It would allow you the ability to recruit ancillary characters for whatever General/Governor, or family member is in the settlement (i.e. tax farmer, mathmatician, philosopher). This idea could also be expanded to the City Garrison, the player could upgrade the type of guards (i.e. town militia >>urban cohort) which would give more public order %points.

Also a related concept, you could train and procure characters for different levels of government, public health officials, construction, traders. Allow a slot system based on city size (3 slots for a large city) which would allow the player to recruit a NPC with a specialization such as control city growth, recruit more experienced armies, trade more efficiently. Lots of options for more or less aggressive play styles and rebellious regions .
    The warriors of Greece don't sleep...they wait for next battle.

Well I'm no EB team member but I think Nomad fans might like this idea: Nomad faction could have the possibility to build "camp" like building a fort or a watchtower on the campaign map: there would be a limit of 2 camps per province. These "camps" would be like some mini cities that serve the nomads as recruiting centers - it would have 3 levels and some buildings could be built in them like:

Level 1 (smal camp)
    - camp placement
    - bow makers (required to train simple horse archers)
    - organized Hunts (gives extra exp to units trained in camp)
    - nobles herds (requirement for next level)

Level2 (medium camp)
    - temporary camp organisation
    - nobles court (enables training of noble cavalry - no cataphracts yet)
    - practice fields (give extra xp to the units trained in the camp)
    - nobles large herds (requirement for next level)

level 3 (large camp)
    - permanent camp organisation
    - warlords court with armourers (enables the training of the best cavalry units - enough skilled craftsman who can make first class armor + enough nobles who are rich enough to equip themselfs and there retinue as cataphracts)
    - war training and large organized hunts (gives exp to units trained in camp)

In the provinces capital the player can decide wether he will seetle his own people in the town (like pastoralism) or make it an allied kingdom (type 4 goverment). The camps can only be built in provinces you already own, besides recruitment they give a public order bonus to the province there in (the bigger they are the bigger the bonus they give).
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 04-02-2009 at 23:11. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

All I want is actual AI
    Tribunus Decimvs Cornelivs Scapvla - BtSH

Just think EBII will have graphics like this

I Win!!

Quote Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
    All I want is actual AI
    So how should the AI be designed?

Wink Re: Features the EB team wants to see in R2TW

1) No more "bells ringing" when marriages take place ( no Christendom back then)
    2) a feature that allows you to spot cities with more than 1 FM (a pain when you manage a huge empire and keep looking for those young runanway scoundrels)
    3) a possibility to check out how many more kills a unit has to accomplish to reach the next experience level
    4) more than just 8 retinue/ancillaries per FM
    5) bigger building tree if possible - but that's not a priority
    6) the AI should become a bit more "realistic" - especially concerning allied nations - if CA hardcoding allows it
    7) some sort of "kill sheet" for the army-commanding FMs and appropriate traits/bonuses

I would be very happy if any of my wishes were considered, though I am quite content with the game as it is now
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

No more Sequoia trees in Hyrkania.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

272 BC - The Whole World

A record system which records basic facts such as which general conquered what city, how many battles they fought, the traits they had etc . . . This way at the end of a game you could write an alternate history of sorts.

The ability for armies to use spies / scouts instead of having an line of sight...
    that be awesome ...
    Not knowing that you are marching towards a big enemy army and then bam!
    A big war !
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Naval Battles?? Perhaps?? They've done it once they can do it again
    The auto resolve system is clearly unfair to the player (odds 5:1 in favour of the player and you suddenly lose!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! )
    And a much more challenging AI at least on the higher levels not just extra bonuses to make things difficult ... and still not enough
    My Greatest Victory(VH)

Forgot to mention, the ability to record battles fought in the campaign, that would be awesome, as well as very useful for testing the game.

I wish they could have a system that depicts or centralised or de-centralised your nation is. For example, some babarian faction can always be more de-centralised, while some factions are far more centrailsed.

Id like to see the ability to reform your military by copying other militaries and what not. or the ability to change your existing units equipment. I mean thats what made rome so great they realized when their equipment just wasnt the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast