Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

Default Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

The menus flicker really bad and there appears to be an occasional frameskip on the map. Anyone have a solution?

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
    Memory: 1982MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Remember Rule #1 Senior Member Sasaki Kojiro's Avatar

Default Re: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

The generally accepted solutions are:

1) Alt-tab
    2) Mouse over it bit by bit until it's gone.

Yea I had the same problem....
    Really glad I'm not epileptic.

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Wow I think I had that problem too. Its been so long since I played shogun. My biggest problem was I couldn't hear voices on the campaign map, no advisor basically. The sound files played as gibberish.
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Are you sure you didn`t just have the language set to Japanese?
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

I've had that Problem too.

I concider a Programm to be the reason of that which was activated when I was playing. It refreshed my browser every minute.

Smile Re: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    The generally accepted solutions are:

1) Alt-tab
    2) Mouse over it bit by bit until it's gone.
    I had a similar problem with the Campaign menu screens on my Vista PC. The Red backdrop flickered, and the menu's seemed to be hightlighted in bright white. The worst bit though was that moving the mouse pointer caused a White drag mark which painted over the screen information!!

I went into the Options/Video and clicked on "Test Display Mode". The test screen flickered slightly , but looked OK, and the menu's worked perfectly thereafter. Maybe my PC auto corrected ?
    Still, works great now.

Exclamation Re: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    I went into the Options/Video and clicked on "Test Display Mode". The test screen flickered slightly , but looked OK, and the menu's worked perfectly thereafter. Maybe my PC auto corrected ?
    Still, works great now.
    Well, it turns out that did not last long. So, I tried the Alt & Tab, which put the game onto the Taskbar. I then clicked on it there and lo & behold it's fixed ( until the next time... ).
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-10-2009 at 23:55.

I have this problem at times. It usually occurs when I alt tab from the game. Which type of graphics card do you have in your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    I have this problem at times. It usually occurs when I alt tab from the game. Which type of graphics card do you have in your machine?
    INTEL (R) G45/G43 Express.

Intel onboard graphics are known to be problematic, if not downright incompatible, with STW/MTW. One of the older chipsets could be fixed by installing older drivers - none of the later ones can due to there being no older drivers available.

I have this problem at times. It usually occurs when I alt tab from the game.
    I am a little confused by your response here, as you say this problem occurred AFTER an Alt+Tab.

For me, this occurred whilst in game, if I stayed too long at a menu screen. It was SOLVED by Alt+Tab ( placing the game onto the taskbar ), and then clicking on the game's taskbar "block" to recreate the game "window" ; as suggested by an earlier post.

If yours occurs AT Alt+Tab, ( I'd suggust avoid using Alt+Tab ), how do you "clear" it?
    N.B. On my PC, you can also get the game down to the taskbar with : Ctrl+Alt+Esc.
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-24-2009 at 18:46.

Intel onboard graphics are known to be problematic, if not downright incompatible, with STW/MTW. One of the older chipsets could be fixed by installing older drivers - none of the later ones can due to there being no older drivers available.
    Please note that I have NOT had any problems with "flicker" in MTW ( only STW ), and that to date, the ONLY problem I have had ( with STW ) is the "flickering" one.

N.B. My only problem with MTW is a CTD when opening the Campaign game after making all the choices on the various menu's and it only occurs 25-30% of the time ( to date ), since I changed the Campaign Map Resolution setting. Strangely, it usually occurs when I open up a new Campaign after closing and not saving a previous Campaign; and, rarely, when first opening the game. This does NOT occur with STW.
    Last edited by DEB8; 10-24-2009 at 19:05.

Please note that I have NOT had any problems with "flicker" in MTW ( only STW ), and that to date, the ONLY problem I have had ( with STW ) is the "flickering" one.

N.B. My only problem with MTW is a CTD when opening the Campaign game after making all the choices on the various menu's and it only occurs 25-30% of the time ( to date ), since I changed the Campaign Map Resolution setting. Strangely, it usually occurs when I open up a new Campaign after closing and not saving a previous Campaign; and, rarely, when first opening the game. This does NOT occur with STW.
    The flickering menu does seem to be particluar to STW.

The MTW campaign map CTD should be solved by the button fix.

The MTW campaign map CTD should be solved by the button fix.
    I'll try that if I have any further ( or too regular ) problems.
    N.B. The resolution change did correct it from a 100% CTD rate!!
    Last edited by DEB8; 11-14-2009 at 01:53. Reason: Spelling

I'll try that if I have any further ( or too regular ) problems.
    Definitely worth a try DEB8.
    N.B. The resoulution change did correct it from a 100% CTD rate!!
    Was that in MTW or STW? I seem to remember that changing to 800*600 solved certain CTD problems for me in MTW, but reverting to older drivers and/or the button fix solved the problem entirely.

Exclamation Re: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

Definitely worth a try DEB8.

Was that in MTW or STW? I seem to remember that changing to 800*600 solved certain CTD problems for me in MTW, but reverting to older drivers and/or the button fix solved the problem entirely.

It was MTW. Ok, I will definitely try it.

By the way, I now have a ( MTW ) CTD at "resume game" after saving!! The game is ( thankfully ), safely saved though!

Any thoughts re a cure for this?
    ( Sorry; wrong forum ; thought I'd ask while here. )

Thanks.
    Last edited by DEB8; 11-01-2009 at 23:54.

By the way, I now have a ( MTW ) CTD at "resume game" after saving!! The game is ( thankfully ), safely saved though!

Any thoughts re a cure for this?
    ( Sorry; wrong forum ; thought I'd ask while here. )

Thanks.
    The button fix is the only known univeral solution to campaign map CTDs. The only other options are older drivers. As you have the Integrated Intel graphics you can expect problems. If the button fix does not eliminate it, then I'm not sure what else you can try sorry.

Thread moved to apothecary (you might get some more input there).

Last edited by caravel; 11-02-2009 at 10:41.

Post Re: STW Gold flickering & MTW+VI CTD ( INTEL )

The button fix is the only known univeral solution to campaign map CTDs. The only other options are older drivers. As you have the Integrated Intel graphics you can expect problems. If the button fix does not eliminate it, then I'm not sure what else you can try sorry.

Re MTW+VI Gold CTD whilst in the Campaign game ( @ Resume Game - after Saving ). I have fixed it ( I think )!!

I had the sound OFF ( keyboard Mute ) when it crashed. With sound on, there is no problem ( so far ).
    N.B. If you switch off the "in game" sound ( Options - Audio - Mute ), it also crashes.

It seems my Graphics card ( and/or Vista ) needs the sound ON to operate correctly. I guess if I am playing late at night I will just have to reduce the volume level.

N.B. As the thread heading is incorrect for the last 3 posts, could these be copied to a new thread ( here ), under a revised thread heading of : MTW+VI CTD @ Resume Game. Thanks.
    Last edited by DEB8; 11-14-2009 at 01:56. Reason: Post title changed

Default Re: STW Gold flickering & MTW+VI CTD ( INTEL )

Re MTW+VI Gold CTD whilst in the Campaign game ( @ Resume Game - after Saving ). I have fixed it ( I think )!!

I had the sound OFF ( keyboard Mute ) when it crashed. With sound on, there is no problem ( so far ).
    N.B. If you switch off the "in game" sound ( Options - Audio - Mute ), it also crashes.
    "Spoke" to soon. 100% crash rate with sound off. 20-30% with sound on!

N.B. As the thread heading is incorrect for the last 3 posts, could these be copied to a new thread ( here ), under a revised thread heading of : MTW+VI CTD @ Resume Game. Thanks.
    Hmmm, no response re this. Pity.

It seems I have random CTD's now ( with my Intel Grapics ), including :

1 @ Load Campaign, 1 @ Left click on a province, 1 @ right click on a province.

Also I had 4 straight CTD's after a Campaign Battle. After the first time I decided to use the Battle Screen save function; great idea whoever thought of that function. Still, It took me four attempts to capture Scotland ( as the English ), even though I never lost a battle. Most frustrating. I guess it would have been worse if I had lost the battle and it had not CTD though!

I now save regularly :-

a) After any moves etc. by me ( sometimes more than once if I do a lot ).
    b) Prior to any battle on the battle screen.
    c) After the AI turn has been completed.

My game continues to make progress, albeit slowly!

Hmmm, no response re this. Pity.
    Hello DEB8,

Did you send a PM to the apothecary moderator?

As to the problem in hand, I'm afraid you will never get the game running stable on the newer Intel Graphics. You will need an ATI/Nvidia graphics card to at least have some chance of running the game.

Last edited by caravel; 11-14-2009 at 14:18.

Talking Re: STW Gold flickering & MTW+VI CTD ( INTEL )

Hello DEB8,

Did you send a PM to the apothecary moderator?
    Afraid not. Naively, I thought the requested "task" would/could be done by yourself! Can you send the PM?

As to the problem in hand, I'm afraid you will never get the game running stable on the newer Intel Graphics. You will need an ATI/Nvidia graphics card to at least have some chance of running the game.
    The game runs..., it just crashes a lot ( randomly ). Answer is to save lots & have patience.
    Last edited by DEB8; 11-20-2009 at 22:13.

The game runs..., it just crashes a lot ( randomly ). Answer is to save lots & have patience.
    That's probably due to the Intel graphics. Is there any option for you to install a graphics card in that machine?

Try software rendering and see if the crashes still occur.

Afraid not. Naively, I thought the requested "task" would/could be done by yourself! Can you send the PM?
    It is better for you to contact the apothecary moderator yourself and explain exactly what you want done.

Last edited by caravel; 11-22-2009 at 14:09.

Talking Re: STW Gold flickering & MTW+VI CTD ( INTEL )

That's probably due to the Intel graphics. Is there any option for you to install a graphics card in that machine?
    I do not know. Truth be told I would not like to try that type of technical thing.

Try software rendering and see if the crashes still occur.

I don't recall this "line" on the "video" screen under graphics card, but I will check it out.

It is better for you to contact the apothecary moderator yourself and explain exactly what you want done.
    I think my request is easy enough to follow.
    If you ( or the moderators here ) are unwilling to process it for the benefit of the other website visitors, I fail to see why I should make the effort.

Unhappy Re: Shogun Total War Gold flickering.

Re MTW+VI : Vista CTD ( Intel graphics )

The problems get kind of worse...

Two CTD and I did not even hit a key or use/move the mouse! Also, I had one during the AI processing of the game turn, AFTER a battle ( details up to the battle were saved ). It's a pity the game cannot / does not save after a battle!

Pity the game does not autosave more often too.

Still, my game progresses.

I don't recall this "line" on the "video" screen under graphics card, but I will check it out.
    This line is there in all versions of STW. Try that and see if stability returns. If it does then the graphics card is likely to be the source of the problem.

Exclamation Re:STW Gold flicker & MTW+VI CTD on Vista ( INTEL )

This line is there in all versions of STW. Try that and see if stability returns. If it does then the graphics card is likely to be the source of the problem.

That would explain why I can't find the line on my MTW+VI ( Gold ) then!!
    You do realise that my recent CTD notes have been regarding MTW+VI ( Gold Edition )?

That was why I :

a) retitled recent NEW posts*
    b) noted MTW+VI - Vista ( Intel Graphics ) on each NEW post *
    c) Asked for a new thread with a revised title to be set up

* I did neglect to do this where I was commenting on your replys as foolishly I though you knew which game was under disscussion here. My request re c) was meant for the benefit of new/returning readers, but it seems you were in need of it too....
    Last edited by DEB8; 12-03-2009 at 22:29.

Unhappy Re: STW Gold flicker & MTW+VI Gold CTD on Vista

RE : MTW+VI Gold Edition : Vista ( Intel Graphics )

My problems get a little worse. I still get random CTD's when Resuming play ( lots ), Loading a game ( minimal ) & Clicking on a province ( minimal & completely at random ); however, I now get a CTD each time I click on a PARTICULAR province! My game is currently at circa. 1150.

It also happens if I am in either the Construct Buildings Screen or in the Unit Training Screen, when I click on the arrows at the top to "move on" to the aforesaid problem province. Strangely though, whilst it occurs with both the Construct Buildings Screen & the Unit Training Screen, it does NOT happen with both during the same period of play. This, so far, has enabled me to continue making adjustments / playing re this province.

The particular province in this instance, is, interestingly, the only one with over 12 "buildings" built. Strangely again, it did not start playing up when the new "arrow" appeared re this, but 3/4 turns later, after I had queued a Castle upgrade...

An update re the "Buttons" Patch ( in the near future ), now seems more likely; but I don't hold out much hope that it will cure these problems.
    Last edited by DEB8; 12-03-2009 at 22:32.

Default Re: STW Gold flicker & MTW+VI Gold CTD on Vista

Yes I got mixed up with STW and MTW back there - not because the thread was confusing,. I knew you were referring to MTW/VI, but because I got sidetracked. Once again I will endeavour to answer some of your queries.

Firstly and most obviously, forget the software rendering. Of course MTW doesn't have it. It's not that great anyway (in fact it looks like very ugly and is very choppy) but it would have been something for those that can't play the game. Anyway CA removed it from MTW so this is flogging a dead horse.

Secondly, Intel Graphics. You've read about the problems with ATI and Nvidia? Well Intel Graphics are worse still. Only their much older chipsets using older drivers are capable of running MTW anywhere near stable. With your current Intel Graphics the game is most likely not going to run the game with any degree of stability. The button fix is likely to be your one and only hope. I say this because back in the day when the problems with intel onboard graphics was identified, the button fix wasn't around. Since then not many have come forward trying to run the game on intel. So it's possible that the button fix could be a solution for intel onboard graphics. Either way it's worth a try and you have nothing to lose.

Thirdly CTDs in general, especially the one where you click on a province and it crashes. Once again the "button fix" resolves this - if it fails to resolve it, then the issue is down to the Intel Graphics and it's device drivers. There used to be a need to enable 2x AA on some Nvidia cards, the button fix also seems to remove the need for this. Also with ATI cards older drivers were needed and again it looks like the button fix addresses this issue as well. now it's possible that the use of older drivers can be avoided on some ATI cards.

I advised you to install the button fix on the 24th of October - the post above tells me that you still haven't done so? The button fix is the most revolutionary campaign map CTD fix all for MTW - ignore it at your peril. It will fix the campaign map CTDs on most hardware. Either way the fix does no harm, it is your starting point in this troubleshooting process, not your last resort. Install the fix first, then take it from there.

Fourthly the thread. I requested that the thread be split. As this is not my domain of control (I am the Sword Dojo moderator, not the apothecary moderator) I can only send in a request that this be looked at. with all of the other stuff going on behind the scenes such requests can get overlooked, which is why it's best to send a polite PM to the Apothecary moderator yourself stating exactly what you want done.

To summarise: Get the button fix installed ASAP and then take it from there. Ensure that you copy the files to the right place. If it's installed correctly your up down arrows on the building review panel will look like small black "+" and "-" symbols. If the usual silver arrows are still there, then the fix has not been installed correctly.

Last edited by caravel; 12-03-2009 at 23:26.

Wink Re: STW Gold flicker & MTW+VI Gold CTD on Vista

Intel Graphics. I advised you to install the button fix on the 24th of October - the post above tells me that you still haven't done so? Install the fix first, then take it from there.
    I have not downloaded it to date, as I am not on the Internet with the O/S that the MTW is installed on. I did try to connect up over the weekend, but my connection cable/s do not workwith my BT point & External Modem. Wrong type ( Straight ) bought. Seems I need Crossed.

I requested that the thread be split. As this is not my domain of control (I am the Sword Dojo moderator, not the apothecary moderator) I can only send in a request that this be looked at. with all of the other stuff going on behind the scenes such requests can get overlooked, which is why it's best to send a polite PM to the Apothecary moderator yourself stating exactly what you want done.
    Thank you for the request. It would have been useful if you had advised me of that sooner. I think it's even easier ( surely ), for you to send a reminder now, rather than I start from scratch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast