Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this true?

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien View Post
    hm, again, we don't work for you :)

secondly, I have E:TW and have quit playing it already. It was cool for a couple weeks, but thats about it. Different tastes for different people. If youre looking for flashy units and bright shiny colors, EB assuredly isnt for you. We primarily make this game for ourselves, and those in the community who share our love for history.
    ONCE AGAIN i didnt say ou did! anyway, its obvious it is going extremely slow, too slow for most of the people that like it which is why it is dying.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Is this true?

While I don't think the mod is dying or anything else (there weren't much people bothering about EB during the early dvlpt stages, ie. before RTW was even released), I can see how the fact ETW has been released might not help keeping the forum actives.

Furthermore, the modding community, once active on the Org, kind of disappeared/moved to TWC. EB is, AFAIK, the last big mod still primarly housed by this forum (and I'm glad it is, as TWC has turned into a spam fest for 13 year old people).

Once the mod start having versions out the forum will be populated and active. Hopefully the hoolabaloo from ETW will have calmed down too by then.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    ONCE AGAIN i didnt say ou did! anyway, its obvious it is going extremely slow, too slow for most of the people that like it which is why it is dying.
    Have you thought of helping them? It would go faster...

I think you mistake posting in the public forums for being active on the team. Your statement is utter nonsense and I can't imagine why you think you know anything about what goes on inside the EB2 team. We've got four active Romani guys alone, all of whom worked on EB1.
    Oh, and Atilius, I'm not being serious. It's called British understatement. Of course I know theres more than 5 on the team. What I meant was they are undermanned, as all mods are, which of course makes progress slow. I didn't mean to offend you in any way .
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

We have a different idea of 'dying' here. For the developpers the mod does not live by the grace of the interest of people outside the team; it is encouraging and motivating sure but it is not required in order to make the mod live. What you mean is that the interest of other people is dying. Perhaps it is, but personally I haven't noticed much? (I've seen EB in its 0.74 stage, and back then the forums were a good bit more quiet about EB 1 over here than they are now about EB 2.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I'd say support grows everyday, with more people signing up to EB and the forums all the time, experiencing the mod, and then finding out about EB II. I mean, the EB II forums are more active than most of the other mod forums out there, and EB II isn't even out yet...doesn't that tell you something?
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    + =
    [/CENTER]

I have yet to play most factions of EB 1, and MTW II Gold Edition is still a bit too pricey for my tastes.
    If anything, the EB team is working a bit too fast, as far as I am concerned.

Except its not dieing, I bet no doubt that once EB2 Nears open beta release these forums will rocket into the most active forums ever.

You can't make global judgments just because your impatient.

Also.

yah but im getting E:TW in a week at most. if i get it then i know i will not go back to m2,
    So if a sequel comes out you buy it and throw away the older game?

Bloody hell thats stupid, I still play the Original MTW from time to time, its good fun.

Depending on performance (yay my 2ghz processor) I'l probably still play EB1 when EB2 comes out.

Also if it wasn't against the rules I'd request your copy of M2:TW Kingdoms, since yours is just going in the trash -_-.
    Last edited by Rilder; 03-26-2009 at 20:46.

EB2 dying? Please look at EB, it took a good four years to do?

And it is damn near perfect. Personally I can wait for EB2, the team seemed to manage EB1 without my thoughts on it. Infact one could go so far as to say that people who no nothing about the mod, or modding in general, should realise that nobody cares weather or not they think the mod is taking to long.

I love EB, and will only be buying M2TW when EB2 is released, or maybe afterwards (no offence, but the .72 version was not for me, I only enjoyed .81 and afterwards).

Oh, and TWC is a bit of a spam feast so stuff there should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by alatar; 03-26-2009 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
    So if a sequel comes out you buy it and throw away the older game?

Bloody hell thats stupid, I still play the Original MTW from time to time, its good fun.

Depending on performance (yay my 2ghz processor) I'l probably still play EB1 when EB2 comes out.

Also if it wasn't against the rules I'd request your copy of M2:TW Kingdoms, since yours is just going in the trash -_-.
    no. you misunderstood. i mean i will not want to play m2 because u will be too busy playing E:TW. I'll sell you it, how much will you buy it for?

i never throw games away. ever. i still have the ps1 version of pong, planning to sell a shit load of ps1 and ps2 games next week

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

EBII can take as long as it wants to. Seriously. I personally love EB1. Absolutly love it. And I know that whatever peive of art the Eb teams gives us will be perfect or as close to it as possible. Let's not flame these guys who work for free. My only regret is my own stupidity with computers. I have countless hours of free times, just very little knowledge of modding and the such. Otherwise is would too help out the team. Once again, thank you EB team for such a fantastic mod.

4x
    1x

Well, John117, I think we'll survive your lack of interest.

On the Org forums, the subforum that includes all RTW mods has about 400,000 posts. Of these, the EB subforum has 375,000 posts, and our private sub-forum (for EB2, even though it's in the RTW subforum) has ca. 170,000 posts.

That's posts, not views. Just for comparison, all other M2TW mods on the Org taken together have about 10,000 posts.

So, John, we are very much alive and well, but we don't work for you, so we won't 'pick up the pace' just 'cos you say so. Too bad, so sad. It will still be a long time until we release EB2. At least we'll have the pleasure of your silence if you give up on us and stop posting.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

no. you misunderstood. i mean i will not want to play m2 because u will be too busy playing E:TW. I'll sell you it, how much will you buy it for?

i never throw games away. ever. i still have the ps1 version of pong, planning to sell a shit load of ps1 and ps2 games next week
    I have ETW, it is good, but not perfect, and nowhere near as impressive as EB. Still worth the money, but don't think it willl be the only game you ever play.

i too am curious about eb 2s death. it was really anticipated, but now it is taking super long. and the models i have seen are not very good, i actually prefered the older ones with uniform shields.
    I prefer the older ones as well.

Not because they look better than the new ones, but because the EB II ones look so human, I don't think I'll be able to kill them. T.T
    Last edited by Tolg; 03-27-2009 at 22:16.

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

be strong EB modders!
    every masterpiece wants its time!
    You just think to do the best you can, but do it with pleasure not duty ...
    Feel free to use your time without constraints.
    I am with you and thank you for your effort.
    good luck boys
    Proud Roman General

Hey Aulus, how many grams of salt and how many liters of water should be used in the first step?

Is this true?
    Yes, it is, but please protect your true. There are too many who try to delete the true in this world, and Aster, I will not let you fall under their sway. It's been a battle for the ages, TWC has fallen under these tyrants, they delete our true, do not let the .org become this, protect the true, protect it!

*ROFLMAO leans in, as if to tell a grand secret, he sits nervously, thumbing his prayer beads, his eyes shifting from one side of the room to the other*

*Then, suddenly, ROFLMAO is stabbed in the back by a dagger, just as he is about to disclose the most important of information*

Tales from another broken home.

Are you trying to get your post count up? What the hell are you talking about?
    + =
    [/CENTER]

I registered for the forums because of this thread. I've frequently browsed the Europa Barbarorum subforums for many different communities looking for information but this is the first time I've joined one. I signed up because I wanted to say that I and many others are great admirers of the team's efforts in EB1 and will wait patiently, though with great excitement, for the opportunity to play EB2. EB1 is an absolute masterpiece that has extended my enjoyment of RTW beyond anything I thought possible. I've hardly touched a different computer game since discovering EB1.

Thank you very much for your efforts, even if your supporters aren't always vocal we are present and delighted that you are continuing your work!

everyone loves EB. its just that this is taking forever.

its just that this is taking forever.
    Have you learnt nothing from this thread?
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Hey Aulus, how many grams of salt and how many liters of water should be used in the first step?
    depends on your preferences...
    I put two tablespoons of salt in about 2 and a half liters of water = 2 servings
    But each must make attempts to obtain as are its tastes. even cooking can be more or less long depending on whether you prefer the dough soft and slightly tough.
    I always feel out of the pasta during cooking to monitor if fits.
    ah and a nice meal
    Proud Roman General

Women love me anyway, at least enough do that I can tell myself that all do ;-)

Anyway, on this topic...

If the EB team cared about support from a mass of fans, they would probably have made something like the original RTW, but with even more fantasy units and easier gameplay. However, as you will have noticed, they did not. They set out with little prospect of success and acclaim to make RTW more historically accurate, without much consideration about reception, but because they thought it was the right thing to do and wanted a more historical game.

They succeeded and as it happened enough people appreciated the result of their labour that EB is probably the most popular mod there is, as I understand it. That is in fact what makes a game or mod succesful that it is a labour of love and belief. So we have an almost H.C. Andersen-like fairytale about the poor modders setting out against hope and winning the Modding Crown...

I suspect EBII is just about the same and that the EB Team continues to care little for general acclaim and appeal as long as they are themselves satisfied and possibly influenced by the opinion of a few history nerds, but definately totally impervious to the opinion of the general public. EBII takes the time it takes.

However, the complaints that EBII is taking too long is of course because we love EB and are so anticipant, tense with expectation, so am I, but I will wait for the complete product and not declare it dead.

Hell, I have waited 13 years for Computer World in Flames, and I will still buy that...

PS. If the EB-Team needs the help of a moderately competent historian with some little knowledge of Rome and Denmark/Germania, poke me.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Very, very, good.
    And how are the Spartan Hoplites doing?

Yes EB2 takes time, but that's because most work needs more work. I hope no one thinks it goes just as fast skinning just one skin (RTW) versus 4 (M2TW) for one unit (disregarding factional skins, which just makes it even more). And that's the bottleneck/chokepoint of EB2 development really. We lack enough modellers & skinners and not because we've been slacking, heck the internal forums have had plenty of "Recruitment threads" where members have suggested this or that modeller/skinner to be contacted for work. But usually most skinners don't show up or after a week or two drop off.

The EB team though has done a lot of work in other areas, especially the Buildings system...man that one is sweet.

It will take time, but we ain't professionals. We don't get paid for doing this job and we don't work on it 8-10 hours a day like game developers do. Take that into account next time you wonder why we aren't showing previews. And we do have two faction previews in the works, but they will be released when they will be released.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Just popping in to further emphasise that we're still around and kickin'!

True, the units will take time, but there has been a lot of progress in other areas in the meantime. And actually, there have appeared some amazing new units, just in the last couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    EBII used to be the talk of the forum, and of the modding community. In fact so much so that it completely swallowed another mod, and eventually the mod became a scrambling submod under my leadership with not a modder to its name. I can only say this is a reflection not only on how promising the mod was, but on how far it outstripped rival rome-era mods to the point that even the RTR:2 team seems to have vanished.
    I feel the poster of the quote is resentful of EBII. When M2TW came out multiple teams planned to make a Rome-era mod on the engine. The forums were alive, previews were aplenty, and there was a good prospect at least one would release a version in a realistic timeframe. However EBII came in to the scene and started swallowing up each of these mods. Now there is only one true next-gen Classical-era M2TW mod still in the works [see footnote], EBII. Having absorbed that many mod teams and destroyed that many mods, the quote poster would expect: rapid progress and plenty of previews. Instead previews come rarely, all talk of progress is kept hidden, and the expected release date is far in the future.

All the eggs have come to rest in one basket, but its extremely hard to get an omelette out of this basket.

(Footnote: next gen = incorporating units custom made for M2TW and exploiting unit variety in the works)

I come from the MTW2 modding scene myself. The M2TW scene is extremely hot and new mods are released at a weekly rate. I believe this is due to the extremely open, free and sharing nature of M2TW modders. The M2TW modder, in general, (e.g. Magus, burrek, Point Blank) works to improve a small portion of the M2TW game, e.g. blood, Western unit skins, combat mechanics respectively. He sets up his own thread, posts regularly, then releases this to the public. Among these small modders are big "joiner" modders, e.g. uanime5, King Kong, repman, whoever is in charge of Chivalry II. They take these small mods, assemble these together on a campaign, add little touches of their own, and release a big mod for the general public (those not in the modding scene). SS, DLV, Chivalry II, Eras: Total Conquest are essentially compilations of minor mods made by other people.

The RTW modding scene, which EBII takes after, is very slow in contrast. What we have in RTW are teams, who do not like to share what they have made with each other or with the public (to improve the vanilla game), and must wait for the final version before release. To show just how slow the RTW modding scene is, the last great release in RTW land was probably RTR:TIC.

The M2TW modding scene operates on a "feudal" system while the RTW scene operates as a "centralised bureaucracy", and suffers from it.
    Last edited by Banzai!; 03-28-2009 at 20:45.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

If skinning is a choke-point, can't you just make temporary skins (I'm thinking plain colours with 'Triarii' or 'Shuban-i Fradakhshana' or whatever) so that stats & other gameplay stuff gets done without being delayed by the skins/models?

I think a bunch of us would be fine with playing like that for early versions.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    And how are the Spartan Hoplites doing?
    ... Well, put it this way?

μόνον ἐπήρου
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-28-2009 at 22:45.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I am just hoping that Danish river will run the right way as I pointed out in the EB Forum it does not in EB...
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast