Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic

Seeing as there isn't an official thread started about this yet I thought I'd do the honours!

Bioware is developing Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMORPG set a couple of hundred years after KOTOR2. It seems they are actually fairly far along too, although I'm not sure there will be a release anytime this year.

The official website is http://www.swtor.com/ and actually has some info about the game now, definitely worth taking a look at (the latest updates introduce the first class: the Bounty Hunter). It seems the story-driven aspect is central to the game development which is good news . Bioware acknowledge that a well-developed story is often what is missing from current MMO's, so they are putting alot of effort into that part (they see the story as 1 of 4 pillars that should make up an MMORPG, you can read all about it on the site). In terms of the amount of content they are creating, they describe it as KOTOR3-10 put together!

I know there are quite a few KOTOR fans out there, how do you all feel about it being an MMO, etc? Can't wait myself and Bioware definitely seem to be taking it seriously rather than just a title guaranteed to make money due to the brand.

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

I LOVED KOTOR. One of the best RPG's I have played and I am really mad at myself for not finishing it. RL has a way of getting in the way, what can I say? Anyways, thing is that even if I loved KOTOR, a MMORG is a NO NO if only for the time investment needed. I would absolutely love to play it, but I am not 17 years old.

Anyways thanks for the link. It is deffinitely worth looking into this.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

First let me get this out of the way:

I loved Kotor 1. I loved it. If i could I would package my love and send it to bioware with a pretty pink ribbon with a card that declares "To my heroes". The only thing that kept such fanboyish attitudes in check when kotor 2 came around was just how unfinished the final product was. It hated my ATI card and loved to crash, not to mention the ending was severely rushed and there was more plot holes present than in Phantom Menace. Which is impressive when you think about it. Most impressive.

Now that we've got my own personal feelings for the previous two games out of the way, let's talk about the MMO. It looks interesting but what makes me a bit hesitant is, as previously stated, it's an MMO. While I have nothing against the genre itself the very nature of it lends itself to needing vast swaths of time to be a sound investment. It's a very, very needy thing.

A KOTOR MMO could work, and that is why Bioware is making one. Yet the sad thing is it's just another MMO. How many of those are currently on the market? 08 was a crazy year for the MMO and it seemed like every single month a new game was being released. It's good to see that sort of MMO-arms race has stopped, but one wonders how successful this will be with such a saturated market. I know personally I will not be going anywhere near it for two reasons, one was stated above: the nature of the beast.

The second is simply that Bioware has zero experience with MMOs. None. And anyone who has played them will tell you, no matter how much polish they receive they are almost always buggy at release (Warhammer Online is a great example). One might ask why, well the very genre lends itself to that with how massive it is, it's right in the name afterall!

Sure with time the good ones are cleaned up and are very fun, but is Bioware prepared to commit the huge amount of resources they will need to survive the first year? Like an episode of X-files. I want to believe they can get it done, but I just can't make that leap of faith.

Bioware acknowledge that a well-developed story is often what is missing from current MMO's,
    That is not at all fair on Bioware's behalf. Many of the "top dogs" of the MMO scene have amazing depth to their story. Everquest 2 is still going, not as strong as it used to but it still commands a respectable clientbase, and their story you need to buy a huge book just to get all the history of it. Warhammer Online.. well, it's based on the Warhammer franchise from Games Workshop. You can't tell me with a straight face that hasn't got a good story. Then the massive beast that is World of Warcraft, and again.. it's warcraft.

There's a lot of throw-away MMOs on the market true, but to think they are unique in having a central story driven forward by quests is just laughable. Bioware really should take a look around, if they are going into this thing with blinders on they don't have a chance.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-04-2009 at 19:14.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

MMOs are businesses. No matter how well they are initially done, they are doomed to degrade to the WOW model and cater to the lowest common denominator for the sake of subscriptions, which ultimately screws the people who played from the beginning. I have a hard time justifying any sort of time investment -- even with AFKing and macros and offline economies -- when all of your in-game assets can we wiped clean or made irrelevant in a single unannounced game revision.

I would actually be more inclined to play an MMO that was free with an in-game item mall, because if all else fails I can always buy myself success. I played Voyage Century for a few months in the summer of 2007 and had an absolute blast without ever having to buy anything from the item mall, but had I kpet playing I would have had to for the sake of catching up with the Pkers.

As for KOTOR, loved the original story, still ranks as one of the best RPGs ever, and I still can't bring myself to get rid of my xbox copy and occasionally pop it in and play for a few minutes when theres nothing else going on. The deathmatch announcer was soooo funny.

I'll check out the website in a bit. At my age, though, I'm just about Star-Warsed out. The universe is cool, the original story lines intriguing, but really.....
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

KOTOR is one of my favourite games and my second most replayed games from the last decade.

KOTOR II would have been awesome if it had been finished. Pity it wasn't.

Bioware have made some of my favourite games ever, full stop and on any platform. Their last effort, Mass Effect, is my most replayed game from the last decade and I love it as much as that implies.

I'm an RPG nut. PC, console, western style, Japanese style, sandbox, dungeon crawler, grand epic, linear, sky high budget, puny budget, earth-shatteringly famous or painfully obscure - I adore them and play stacks of them. There is only one type I do not play: MMORPG.

The KOTOR MMORPG interests me as much as a proposition to have my fingers slowly lasered off without anaesthetic. MMORPGs are the anti-thesis of everything I like in an RPG save one thing: levelling a character up. That I can do in a few thousand other games, without monthly fees and the nuisance of needing to be online and surrounded by people who behave abusively or pretend to be Gandalf.

Not interested, never will be. If there's no singleplayer KOTOR then the series is dead to me.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Looks like companions, aka pets, will be a pretty big part of the game, which seems to play on part-building. May be cool if you can shape and equip these companions as opposed to the cookie cutter ones you got in Diablo 2, for example.

Just watched the video. They said there are class-specific stories, which tells me you will be locked into a class tree from the beginning. This makes me also presume it will be level based. This makes me lose interest. While it may not be good for mass subscriptions, I find the far better MMO model is to allot a set amount of points, enable various class trees with ascending and descending point costs, and let players distribute those points however they wish as long as they meet the profession experience and prerequisites for the trees. It's called dabbling, and it makes for a much more immersive and entertaining game, more so than making all XP generic and locking someone into a set path.

I hate level-based MMOs. Hate them. Furthermore, I hate the idea that people can look at you and tell what class you are, or be able to tell what class you are by the shiny ring that flashed every time you use a particular move.

I also haven't been able to tell if there is space combat. For the games sake, I hope so, because Star Wars without space fights is pretty fruity.

First I'd just like to point out, as a couple of you have brought it up, that KOTOR2 wasn't actually made by Bioware, it was made by Obsidian Entertainment (using Bioware's engine and some technical support from them), which is why it didn't have the normal quality you expect from Bioware games.

Secondly, addressing Monk's point

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    That is not at all fair on Bioware's behalf. Many of the "top dogs" of the MMO scene have amazing depth to their story. Everquest 2 is still going, not as strong as it used to but it still commands a respectable clientbase, and their story you need to buy a huge book just to get all the history of it. Warhammer Online.. well, it's based on the Warhammer franchise from Games Workshop. You can't tell me with a straight face that hasn't got a good story. Then the massive beast that is World of Warcraft, and again.. it's warcraft.
    That is the exact problem. There is this great history and lore in these games but when you actually play through it, the story is just something that ticks along in the background, you don't feel you have any impact on it. I played WoW for a long time and one of my biggest gripes was how the world didn't seem to change due to your actions, it just all got rather stale doing the same quests and not really seeming to achieve anything, this is something I hope will be different with SW:TOR. From what I've read, I think Bioware's point in focusing on the story-driven aspect is that you actually get involved and have some sort of impact on your own characters story, which should significantly add to the immersion (I hope at least, we'll see how it turns out ).

It is very true that this is the first MMO Bioware are creating so that is also a point of worry but they do have a reputation for quality, so hopefully they'll make sure it is as bug-free as possible and they'll bring their normal quality to the table. There are always going to be some that sneak through but it seems unavoidable in games development these days, as long as they aren't totally game-breaking *cough* ETW CTD's *cough* then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The one thing about an MMO is it probably gets better post-release support than almost every other type of game (there are always exceptions, of course, but it's true in general) just because the business model relies on keeping players.

My one area of concern, that I share with Frogbeastegg, about it being an MMO is the fact there will be lots of other people you have to share the world with. The fact there are other people alone isn't the problem, it's that there are always some who just ruin the immersion. To an extent that can be alleviated by playing on an RP server but it would need proper policing of rules for it to work. In a game where being immersed in the story is going to be one of the main selling points, this is perhaps the biggest pitfall Bioware will face and probably the one they can control the least unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohugh View Post
    First I'd just like to point out, as a couple of you have brought it up, that KOTOR2 wasn't actually made by Bioware, it was made by Obsidian Entertainment (using Bioware's engine and some technical support from them), which is why it didn't have the normal quality you expect from Bioware games.
    KOTOR II's problem was that it was rushed out by the publisher in time for Christmas. The game had a very short development period, and at the time most people were expecting an announcement that the release would be delayed by a few months. IIRC the release was actually moved forward a bit, hence the need to hack out wodges of content and crudely patch the overall story together.

Obsidian is packed full of ex-Bioware and Black Isle people, people who have made some of the finest PC RPGs we've had. The Fallout series, the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape: Torment, and so on. We had every reason to expect great things, and there's plenty of evidence KOTOR II would have been absolutely incredible with a few more months work. The cut content is contains some of the most outstanding plot and character material I've seen in a game.

KOTOR II broke my heart.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    MMOs are businesses. No matter how well they are initially done, they are doomed to degrade to the WOW model and cater to the lowest common denominator for the sake of subscriptions, which ultimately screws the people who played from the beginning. I have a hard time justifying any sort of time investment -- even with AFKing and macros and offline economies -- when all of your in-game assets can we wiped clean or made irrelevant in a single unannounced game revision.
    Wait, what? Have you actually played WoW or are you just making that up?

I once again have to stand to defend MMO's, and WoW (even though I've stopped playing MMO's and WoW a while ago), because most opinions here seem to be completely baseless. MMO's are not more time consuming than other games (though they are more likely to create addiction).

You can play WoW 30min to 1h a day and still be a competitive PvP player. You can raid once or twice a week and still enjoy PvE content. You just have to find players who share the same view of the game.
    According to the Left4Dead topic (which I enjoy reading because your AARs are fun), I know a lot of WoW players who spend less time on WoW than you do on L4D.
    And I don't think WoW cater to the lowest common denominator. I'd say it's probably the most complex game ever created. It does not focus on PvP or PvE exclusively, it allows casual gamers to enjoy the game and get good gear, while the hardcore players get craploads of vanity/uber items.

And no game revision made anything irrelevant. All the "OMG I'LL STOP MY SUBSCRIPTION IF THAT PATCH IS MADE LIVE" is a bunch of crying by stupid spoiled kids, who will continue to play the game anyway (unfortunately).

As for a Star Wars MMORPG, I can see it failing right away. The licence is too big to be turned into a successful MMO, and all the "Our game will be much better than everything else (ie. WoW)" speech left a bad taste in my mouth after WAR online.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 04-05-2009 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    MMO's are not more time consuming than other games
    The quandary of subscription-based MMO's is this: in order to gain maximum profits, the game company needs to keep people playing. The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to increase repetition of old content. This is a conflict of interest (assuming that most people don't want to grind) and while I'll admit that it doesn't directly translate to MMO's being more time consuming, it's certainly a strong indicator.

You can play WoW 30min to 1h a day and still be a competitive PvP player.
    Really? Suppose I'll start playing WoW now, less than one hour a day, completely from scratch; how long would it take me to reach all PvP content and have the best gear, assuming that I could play the game perfectly right off the bat?
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 04-05-2009 at 10:08.

What I simply do not understand is how Bioware will combine the MMO concept with a immersive story-based gameplay. If you are going to have proper well developed companions, they will be fairly limited in numbers. It would definately suck if other players had the exactly same companions as you have.

I also can't see how you can implement things like consequences for actions and story progression in an MMO. A good example is that if one player character kills a Sith Lord, that Sith Lord should stay dead as well and not be respawned for another player to kill him.

Oh and that brings out the case of respawning player characters? That doesn't really go too well in hand with actions having consequences.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Default Re: Re : Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Wait, what? Have you actually played WoW or are you just making that up?

I once again have to stand to defend MMO's, and WoW (even though I've stopped playing MMO's and WoW a while ago), because most opinions here seem to be completely baseless. MMO's are not more time consuming than other games (though they are more likely to create addiction).

You can play WoW 30min to 1h a day and still be a competitive PvP player. You can raid once or twice a week and still enjoy PvE content. You just have to find players who share the same view of the game.
    According to the Left4Dead topic (which I enjoy reading because your AARs are fun), I know a lot of WoW players who spend less time on WoW than you do on L4D.
    And I don't think WoW cater to the lowest common denominator. I'd say it's probably the most complex game ever created. It does not focus on PvP or PvE exclusively, it allows casual gamers to enjoy the game and get good gear, while the hardcore players get craploads of vanity/uber items.

And no game revision made anything irrelevant. All the "OMG I'LL STOP MY SUBSCRIPTION IF THAT PATCH IS MADE LIVE" is a bunch of crying by stupid spoiled kids, who will continue to play the game anyway (unfortunately).

As for a Star Wars MMORPG, I can see it failing right away. The licence is too big to be turned into a successful MMO, and all the "Our game will be much better than everything else (ie. WoW)" speech left a bad taste in my mouth after WAR online.

I played WOW for a couple of months. And I thought it sucked. Complex you say? You are kidding, right? All the templates are cookie cutter, with some subclass specialties thrown in along the way to make people think they are being original. The economy is a joke, crafting is a joke, and the level based system is a joke. Raids were much ado about nothing, guilds based around raiding was pathetic, and while I must admit the PVP could be fun it just boiled down to the same old pvp crap in every other game where your opponents know what cookie cutter template you are as soon as you use your cookie cutter special with fancy cookie cutter graphics, and the only way to make your cookie cutter template better was with elite cookie cutter equipment which required cookie cutter spawn grinding or cookie cutter raiding over and over and over again.

I've also played COH/COV/ DDO, Eve, and SWG pre and post NGE. DDO may be the worst game I've ever played. I wouldnt even rank WOW with Eve or COH, let alone the released version of SWG, that is, until they nerfed SWG to make it a WOW clone.

MMOs need real crafting, with real, harvestable resources, with real crafting professions, not heraldric cube crafting like every other game seems to use. MMOs need medics and doctors that heal and craft and fight, not medics and doctors that are useless on their own and only offer heals that are reflective, or reactive, I mean how about a point click and heal system, why does it always seem to be some crap like life leech, or reflective heals, or heals that have % chance to heal when hit....i hate all the gay diablo 2 stats that mmos are filled with.

And PVP. Pfft. I want open PVP, not some crap where you have to a special place at a special time and get absolutely nothing for pvping in the pvp zone. I don't expect to be able to go into any town and just murder noobs anytime i want, but a system of temporary enemy flags and declaration of pvp status while in the general public so others can declare too and fight with or against your faction....thats hella lot more fun then PVP "zones." I'm still undecided on penalties for dying, but any way you look at it what worries me most about the bounty hunter profession in this game is that it will be gayed down to prevent peoples feelings from being hurt. If anyone here thinks that players are just going to be able to wontonly place bounties on other players as long as they have the capital well then you are wrong, because people whine when they get PvPd. In fact I would be willing to bet that more than half the bounty hunter content outside the mani story will be tracking NPCs not players.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Crandaeolon View Post
    The quandary of subscription-based MMO's is this: in order to gain maximum profits, the game company needs to keep people playing. The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to increase repetition of old content. This is a conflict of interest (assuming that most people don't want to grind) and while I'll admit that it doesn't directly translate to MMO's being more time consuming, it's certainly a strong indicator.
    Agreed. If you're have a weak will and no social life, MMO's can obviously turn into huge timesinks. BUt so can other games or web based entertainement.

Really? Suppose I'll start playing WoW now, less than one hour a day, completely from scratch; how long would it take me to reach all PvP content and have the best gear, assuming that I could play the game perfectly right off the bat?
    Wait, wait, did I say "you can play 30min a day a get everything you want"? No, I said "you can play 30min a day and be a competitive PvP player". Competitive means that you can get decent gear, and still reach high PvP-rank. You could probably also get the best gear, if you're really skilled, though the vanity items awarded to the best PvP players would probably be out of reach.
    The current PvP system (arena ranking) doesn't require one to play hours and hours. You simply have to play 10 games a week and win most of them to be rewarded.
    Pexing to lvl 80 while playing 30min a days would obviously (and hopefully) take a while. WoW setting is quite interesting, the game has thousand of quest, dozens of areas to explore. It would kind of suck if you could go through the leveling phase in 15 hours.

@MRD, your opinion of WoW is wrong on so many point I could write ten walls of text about it. Though I admit some of your criticism had some basis 2 years ago, the game vastly changed with the 2 addons.

To go through it quickly:

- Crafting is indeed a joke. It improved with The Burning Crusade (in that it wasn't completely useless anymore), but it still a small (though required) part of the game. Economy might be a joke, though I don't know of any MMO that offers a better model (except for EVE, but EVE obviously can't be compared to WoW, WAR online or Everquest).

- Templates used to be cookie-cutters, and most classes only had one to use in PvE and one to use in PvP. That's not the case anymore. Things changed with BC (who tried to offer each class an effective damage dealing template), and with Wrath of the Lich King. The devs are explicitely trying to make every template effective both in PvE and PvP. Furthermore, you can now change your template with a single click without even having to pay.

- I don't see how the level system is a joke. Do you mean the leveling phase sucks (I would strongly disagree), or do you mean that leveling the character isn't that interesting (I would agree, I'd like to have more things to do than putting a talent point somewhere)? In any case, the leveling is kind of the introduction to the game, as it's based around end-level content.

- I don't know what you're talking about with your medics rant. I played a healer for 2 years and deeply enjoyed it. The last updates made healers and tanks quite effective as solo-playing and grinding, so meh
    And would you prefer a point and click heal system over a more innovative one? I kind of don't understand here again, as 70% of WoW playing is made through point and click (the 30% remaining being based on more innovative and IMO fun features).

- As for PvP, I simply don't enjoy it (I liked it on Eve, once again because the game is vastly different from other MMO's), but for a traditional RPG, well, I think it sucks. I think WoW arena system sucks, as it attempted to turn the game into some crap-ass E-sport. The instanced battlegrounds are fun for the most part, and BC and WotLK introduced some open-PvP objectives, involving bombardment, vehicules, castles and what not (WotLK even offers a whole PvP based open area).
    I still think that mass-PvP is quite a fail so far in MMO. I enjoy having random PvP fights while leveling, but that's about it.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I know a way you can reach level 80 with a character in a day without even playing the said character. And I mean original Blizzard servers and charcters.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt
    I know a way you can reach level 80 with a character in a day without even playing the said character. And I mean original Blizzard servers and charcters.
    Does it involve paying for a powerleveling service, purchasing a second-hand account or leeching in a coordinated leveling group?

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Competitive means that you can get decent gear, and still reach high PvP-rank. You could probably also get the best gear, if you're really skilled, though the vanity items awarded to the best PvP players would probably be out of reach.
    I'm primarily interested in controlled small-teams PvP where each player has exactly the same options, be it levels, skills or gear (IMO a player isn't "competitive" otherwise.) Being limited to a certain class isn't a problem as long as said class is universally viable in competitive play.
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 04-13-2009 at 09:05.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Nope. Completely free. All it involves is checking your account information, removing a part of it and sending an e-mail to Blizzard troubleshoot. In one day, you are granted by blizzard a 80 level character. Problem is I don't think you have any gear.
    BLARGH!

I will try it, but I am severely disappointed they didn't just make KOTOR 3. I went crazy over the first two and i was shattered when they announced it was an MMO. I just hope it can actually make a dent into WoW which I never liked.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

MMOs = grind. Sorry, but it's true. I tried one back in the infancy of the genre (Dark Age of Camelot) and promptly washed my hands of the whole business. I need to be able to quit at any time. I need to be able to define my gaming hours very strictly. Sure, you could play an MMO that way, but you could never play it well.

I think they are fantastic for people with chronic medical conditions and other house-bound sorts. But for people who have jobs and/or families? No sir, not a good idea.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I am not sure if this was mentioned at the time, but I just saw the gameplay walkthroughs released late August. I'm impressed - dialogue, atmosphere, combat and graphics all look good to me. I think Bioware might well manage to merge the virtues of Kotor with the MMO format.

There are four walkthroughs, the first is linked to below:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816...c1_082109.html

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I am honest, TOR when I last saw it looked like a Massive Singleplayer Online Role Player.

Oh, if anyone is interested, I got a 25% off code for the game if you buy it from Direct2Drive.com, pm me if you are interested.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    If I am honest, TOR when I last saw it looked like a Massive Singleplayer Online Role Player.
    That's exactly what I am looking for. As Lemur said, MMOs are usually about grind. The thing I like about Bioware RPGs is that they are not "kill 20 boars in this area" quests, but much more fun story and character driven questing. So fingers crossed, a Bioware MMO should provide a richer experience for the solo player. The video walkthroughs have me optimistic about this.

I've never been that into PvP and while I like raiding, my personal life means I can't find the time to commit to it.

I'm having some fun with the Lord of the Rings online, which is rather-like WoW, but suits me with more emphasis on solo levelling (and a nice Tolkien-ore atmosphere), less on PvP and raiding. However, it still is a grind. Not only does every map appear to have a "kill 20 boars" quest, some maps even have separate boar-killing quests in sub-areas of the map. The experience pales in comparison to a Bioware single-player game.
    Last edited by econ21; 09-25-2009 at 12:21.

Blog Entries

I hate to see you in a FPS game "This game is a grind! I just walk here and shoot things and then I go there and I shoot things!"

It's like that point in Total War where you go "you know what? I can't be bothered fighting a 30 minute battle when I can just auto-battle it in a less of a second and I stand a good chance of winning".

The thing I dislike about TOR, if it is a massive-online-single-player-game, I don't think there should be a monthly fee aspect to it, in a sense, it turns into something like guild wars which is pretty much free. The cost just seems too great otherwise.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-25-2009 at 12:43.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I hate to see you in a FPS game "This game is a grind! I just walk here and shoot things and then I go there and I shoot things!"
    Yes - apparently that was my first reaction to playing football as a new entrant to kindergarden. "Mum, you have to kick the ball. Then, you have to kick it AGAIN!"

On FPSs you are right. My son is buying Halo ODST today and I've promised to play the campaign co-operatively with him. But to be honest, it fills me with dread. So boring. Shoot this, shoot that. Snooze.

It's like that point in Total War where you go "you know what? I can't be bothered fighting a 30 minute battle when I can just auto-battle it in a less of a second and I stand a good chance of winning".
    I guess the point about grinding is that is doing repetitive things you don't enjoy. I don't like kicking balls, I don't like shooters, I don't like killing boars/rats. I love TW battles. And I love Bioware RPGs. Some of that is personal preference, but it's also to do with the complexity of the task and the effort put into the design. I am 100% sure that a lot more design effort goes into a Bioware quest than a generic "kill 20 boars" quest. Even if it is just a matter of employing good writers, giving a good story motivation to the quest, employing professional voice actors etc, a Bioware quest may still require you to go to place A and kill 10 mobs, but it will be a much more satisfying experience.

The thing I dislike about TOR, if it is a massive-online-single-player-game, I don't think there should be a monthly fee aspect to it, in a sense, it turns into something like guild wars which is pretty much free. The cost just seems too great otherwise.
    That also relates to the issue of grind. If it is pay a monthly fee just to kill boars, then I can understand the objection. But if it is paying a monthly fee to enjoy the single player experience of a Bioware RPG, I don't see a problem. When you run out of good content, stop playing the game and paying the fee. There is the question of whether Bioware will add sufficient good quality content to keep people paying that fee for months on end. But I'm reasonably optimistic. Levelling in games like WoW can take a casual player like me around a year. I could conceive of Bioware delivering a similar amount of content but with a higher quality, especially when the MMO funding model should allow them to add areas and stuff over time. There will come a time when you are level capped and so the game will have to rely on something like PvP or raiding to keep you playing, but I don't see myself playing the same game for much over a year anyway (until the inevitable expansion).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Yes - apparently that was my first reaction to playing football as a new entrant to kindergarden. "Mum, you have to kick the ball. Then, you have to kick it AGAIN!"
    I also dislike football too. However, I can understand how it can be entertaining playing the game. (Whole team-work, having a laugh with friends)

However, watching football? Could be worse though.. cricket.

Bumping this thread - it's hard to believe it's almost 2 years since the game was discussed here.

I just spotted the latest cinematic trailer:

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/return

Even if the game bombs, whoever makes these cinematic trailers could still have a future in movies.

Not buying it on principle of story. They retconned KOTOR 2 and ruined the story of Revan.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

ugh..... mmo's. The ony one i have ever played is runescape and i will never play another.

MMO's= wasted time, grinding, MONTHLY fees, sad sad people often.

Its the monthly fees that truly get to me. Especially when i pay for the box and then i get to pay per month...... how much is WOW like 10 a month?

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Not buying it on principle of story. They retconned KOTOR 2 and ruined the story of Revan.
    I haven't paid attention to story issues - what have they changed about Revan's story?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Its the monthly fees that truly get to me. Especially when i pay for the box and then i get to pay per month...... how much is WOW like 10 a month?
    Well, ultimately you decide if the price is right for you. WOW has had so much content that I feel I got my money's worth. However, right now, I feel I've done as much as I want to (or can), so I've stopped subscribing.

I rather like the "free to play" model of Dungeons and Dragons online and Lord of the Rings online (LOTRO). You can subscribe for a month or whatever to enjoy all the new content, then you can drop by as a free player to do a more limited range of things when you like - perhaps buying a few "quest packs" if you want to continue raiding or whatever.

You can't judge MMOs from Runescape. WOW is an incredibly polished game that puts most single player games to shame in terms of the level of development effort it has received. (Just playing other good RPGs like LOTRO or Dragon Age, you appreciate how well WOW has done various things like facilitating pick-up groups or balancing classes).
    Last edited by econ21; 06-09-2011 at 06:53.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

no its not runescape i truly dislike them because of the fees and because of the people and negative setreotypes associated with them. the only people irl ive known who play them simply reinforce those stereotypes.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I wish they'd make a proper KotOR 3. First two are classics. MMOs don't offer that personal experience that Bioware games (usually) offer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast