Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction Uniformity

Default Re: Faction Uniformity

I was concerned that if all units were of heterogenous appearance that the battlefield might become an indistinguishable mess of bodies. Then I thought "good" as I imagine distinguishing friend from foe in battle was a real problem for real generals and warriors.

No doubt gross differences will be readily apparent, like naked gauls vs african cavalry, or Elephants vs chariots, but if a Macedonian spearman is dancing with a KH spearman, I don't mind if the difference isn't as glaring as orange and black.

I wonder if there is more that can be done in the way of confusing the battlefield. Can one crank up the amount of dust produced? That would be cool.

I love that terrifying scene in Alexander at Gaugamela when Parmenion on the left flank is being ground down and they are surrounded and there's dust everywhere so you can't see reinforcements coming etc. I enjoy playing general cam and visibility/LOS effects (rain, snow, sand, trees) really mess with my head in those battles, in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    And don't let me get started on the Ghillie suit; the nickname for *that* involves references to some rather weird nooks of Finnish popular culture.
    Moomintrolls? Or Vainamoinen?
    Last edited by Cyclops; 04-27-2009 at 03:41. Reason: typo spasm
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Nah. The popular nickname is "Röllipuku" ("Rölli suit"), after a troll by the same name in a kids' show... Well, he does rather look the part. (His clothes rather follow the tune of his, uh, hairdo...)
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hegix View Post
    Today almost all soldiers wear green. Pyrrhus was just 2000-ish years ahead of the fashion trends.
    actually, its one of many colors that soldiers wear-none realy green.

the Israelis wear Olive drab, the US a grey-green color (or camo), the egyptians an olive or khaki color, etc.

but yeah, he was apperently ahead of his times. even his chaionian agema was ahead of his time, with their scarlet tunics-like redcoats
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 04-27-2009 at 04:48.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Aaaah the Chaionion Agema... I simply love'em. Especially when you select the and they shout "Chaonion AH-GEH-MAH!!" Totally badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by machinor
    Aaaah the Chaionion Agema... I simply love'em. Especially when you select the and they shout "Chaonion AH-GEH-MAH!!" Totally badass.
    Agreed.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: Faction Uniformity

Don't know about you guys, but I love the faction uniformity. I suppose I have a penchant for uniforms. Not to mention, I like the green shade Epriotes wear. And while we are on this topic, I also love the skin uniformity of all the soldiers in a single unit. I actually liked and still am fond of the "clone" troops of RTW.

Perhaps it is my authoritarianism and desire for people to conform speaking in me...

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Don't know about you guys, but I love the faction uniformity. I suppose I have a penchant for uniforms. Not to mention, I like the green shade Epriotes wear. And while we are on this topic, I also love the skin uniformity of all the soldiers in a single unit. I actually liked and still am fond of the "clone" troops of RTW.

Perhaps it is my authoritarianism and desire for people to conform speaking in me...
    This^

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post

you know, I'm going to make my thoughts public*: the doctor/engineer theory on why the Arab world has such issues:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It is a known fact (among Arabs), and a famous Archetype, that the Arab parent wants their child to be one of two things, and to be the very best at those two things compred to everyone else: either a doctor, or an engineer (in arabic= ya'imma doctor aw muhandis). so they put a lot of money in that direction, as well as time, sweat, and evil genius; they will even resort to psychological torture and/or extortion (e.g. me), to get their children to conform to their dreams, rather than respect their children's dreams and desires.

however, 99% of the time, the parents will fail to make an engineer or doctor out of their children; instead, one of three things will happen: either the child gives them the middle finger/ or compramises and fulfills his dreams for him/herself (e.g. me), conform to the parents ridiculous notions, or the most common, say: "f*** it, I'm never going to be good enough for them. I'll just forget education". tragically, the third option is often the most common. As a result, those who fulfill their own true desires will be shunned from society as "infidels", "traitors", or "failures", those who do conform will, 99% of the time, suck at being doctors/engineers, and the rest will lack the necessary and proper skills to either support the doctor/engineer caste, or to do whatever they end up doing well; from here we see the azhar "scholars", wahhabis, the shi3a, the suicide bombers, crooks, garbage men, and mechanics. they will often be illiterate, uneducated, and without anything to go on besides their faith, which they interpret poorly, as a result of the lack of said education. of course, they will go on to try and make "engineers" and "doctors", so that their children can avoid their fate, only to repeat the cycle all over.

moral: imposing uniformity: works beautifully in RTW, but sucks in RL.

*don't worry AP-just being sarcastic. but its still true about the arab world, and a good read.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-11-2009 at 22:38.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I'm disturbed that some authoritarians out there want uniformity in their units. Goddamit I demand complete subservience from everyone, no matter how they look. All must march at my command!

Really having hodgepodge gangs of ruffians swarming into battle alongside shinier (and maybe more uniformly attired) elites is gonna make EB2 sooo sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    ... the doctor/engineer theory ..
    Sounds like my Chinese friend, and my Jewish mates...

Is the real difference between the Arabs and the Jews that one lot wants their sons to be doctors or engineers, and the other lot wants their sons only to be doctors? Hmm a little OT I know.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 05-12-2009 at 03:36.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12