Thread: Can my computer run Empire: total war?

Default Can my computer run Empire: total war?

Hello I'm new to the org and I am from Georgia, USA. I have been playing total war games since Medieval: total war and have played Rome and m2tw. I plan to buy Empire: total war but I don't know if my computer can run it, it plays the demo fine though. My computer is
    an XP with:
    Dual-core processor 3800+
    2.0 MHZ FSB, 512 KNL2 Cache per core.
    250 GD HD
    nVIDIA GeForce 6100

So can my computer run E:TW?
    does anybody have a similar system?

Default Re: Can my computer run Empire: total war?

Yes, and no.... Up grade to atleast a 7800 unless that is Geforce 6100 mobile, in which case it should be able to handle it.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 04-16-2009 at 02:41.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    Yes, and no.... Up grade to atleast a 7800 unless that is Geforce 6100 mobile, in which case it should be able to handle it.
    What?
    Since when is a mobile chip faster than it's desktop version? They're usually slower.

Otherwise, on low or medium settings at best, if you want somewhat decent gameplay, you might want to get a completely new computer. You also didn't mention your RAM, if you got only 1GB there's even more of a reason to upgrade, I've got 2 and an overall better laptop and it's neither loading fast nor completely stutterless, although i use medium-high settings (without grass and shadows).

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say no.

My 8600 struggles on low, with small unit size sometimes.

The CPU also doesnt look good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Cool Re: Can my computer run Empire: total war?

OK thanks for the info.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Weird...

I have a 8800GTX and I am playing on max settings. Are the differences between our cards that different?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

6 series is integrated, and thus, badbadbadbad for most games that aren't more than 3 years old.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    What?
    Since when is a mobile chip faster than it's desktop version? They're usually slower.
    The 6 series mobile chips are weird as hell from my experience. I've compared it to my computer (7600 gt 512) to his 6600 mobile 512 and his ran games far better. Maybe it was the processor, but at points where my computer would freeze up, his could chug through keeping an average of about 30-40 fps. It could be that the extra .2 on his processor could handle what mine couldn't but I doubt that as the factor. But the PCI-e type cards are also a lot faster than AGP which is what I currently use.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    The 6 series mobile chips are weird as hell from my experience. I've compared it to my computer (7600 gt 512) to his 6600 mobile 512 and his ran games far better. Maybe it was the processor, but at points where my computer would freeze up, his could chug through keeping an average of about 30-40 fps. It could be that the extra .2 on his processor could handle what mine couldn't but I doubt that as the factor. But the PCI-e type cards are also a lot faster than AGP which is what I currently use.

512 is that max speed your card can "talk" to the mobo.. but using an agp connection will limit you to 64.. in one direction at a time.. talk about a bottleneck.. your card cant even come close to reaching its potential...

a 6x mobile series wont do much better.. nothing integrated will... even laptops with beefy discrete cards only run well until they overheat..

to the original poster: although your pc specs sound a bit old.. spend 60$-80$ and drop a new graphics card in it and you will get another year or so out of it.. check out card reviews at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tx,2270-2.html

running amd doesnt help either.. next time get an intel.. way more head room.. you can get an extra 10-20% by a slight voltage increase.

I use an iMac with bootcamp to run. Pretty "meh" specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
    2 GB Ram
    Radeon Mobility HD 2400 XT

It runs M2TW fine with everything on high, but with no aliasing or vegetation. I tried installing the ETW demo, it installs just fine, but the game is pretty much unplayable, even with everything on low.
    “Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time” is to say, “I don’t want to.”" – Lao Tzu

Radeon Mobility HD 2400 XT (256MB DirectX 10 PCI Express x16)would compare in speed to a 8500gt on a desktop.. (i keep an 8500 in my living room pc.. it plays movies well but id never game with it)

a quick look at the benchmarks show this card will never play any dx10 game....

the good news is you dont have an integrated card.. so you can pull that one out... put it on ebay... and get something else...