Thread: Protectorate - not an option?

Default Protectorate - not an option?

As France, I want to give Savoy to Genoa and make the new combination my protectorate. But that is not an option. I can do it with Italian states. I thought the difference might be Genoa's attitude (unfriendly v. indifferent Italian States) so I gave Genoa a state gift (now very friendly) but still no protectorate option. What's the difference?

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Protectorate - not an option?

I think only one province nations can be made protectorates, so giving them Savoy means it can't be done.

Check to see if Genoa is at war with one of your allies - I'm pretty sure, like in the past Total War games, you can't ally with a faction (or protectorate) if they are at war with one of your allies.

I think only one province nations can be made protectorates, so giving them Savoy means it can't be done.
    The 13 colonies are a protectorate though :).
    Last edited by Allu X; 04-08-2009 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    But it worked perfectly in Germany. I conquered Wurtemburg and gave it to Westphalia in exchange for becoming my protectorate. Now I have a strong ally along my Eastern border.

And, I don't think Genoa has any wars except the Pirates and Barbaries...

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    But it worked perfectly in Germany. I conquered Wurtemburg and gave it to Westphalia in exchange for becoming my protectorate.
    It does definitely work if offered in the same deal, yes. I just gave the 2 greek provinces to the Knights

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allu X View Post
    Check to see if Genoa is at war with one of your allies - I'm pretty sure, like in the past Total War games, you can't ally with a faction (or protectorate) if they are at war with one of your allies.

The 13 colonies are a protectorate though :).
    Well, actually, I (as French) turned the plains indians into my protectorate while they were at war with my allies - Spain. I did not notice at the time when I offered the protectorate. About 20 years later in the game: both are still at war with each other, both are displaying as having very friendly relations with me...

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

So far it seems like I can't make anyone with more than one province a Protectorate, it has only been 8 single ones so far - though some absolutely refused and had to die. The Italian States did take Southern Italy after though, and are still a Protectorate.

In some ways it seems a little silly, since if you are massive then why can't you make a comparatively tiny 2 province state a protectorate?
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

As Prussia once, I was allied to Hannover, which had Westphalia as a protectorate. For some reason I couldn't ally with Westphalia.

I've also noticed that protectorate status doesn't necessarily mean you're allied. I've attacked factions and their protectorates have not joined that nation's allies in fighting me, and we remain at peace.

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post
    So far it seems like I can't make anyone with more than one province a Protectorate, it has only been 8 single ones so far - though some absolutely refused and had to die. The Italian States did take Southern Italy after though, and are still a Protectorate.

In some ways it seems a little silly, since if you are massive then why can't you make a comparatively tiny 2 province state a protectorate?
    Thanks - that is the only reason that makes sense.

Although, you can do it simultaneously - give them a provice and make them a protectorate in the same treaty, so then you end up with a 2-province protectorate ("Westphalia-Wurtemburg").

Next, I will make "Courland-Michigan"...

Does anybody know if a protectorate counts a territory into your victory conditions? I made Chechnya a protectorate without realising that for Russia it is a must have... suppose I could crush them but it just feels wrong! ;)

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Quote Originally Posted by LuxIrae View Post
    Does anybody know if a protectorate counts a territory into your victory conditions? I made Chechnya a protectorate without realising that for Russia it is a must have... suppose I could crush them but it just feels wrong! ;)
    No. As it stands now you have to own the territory in order to achieve victory. I am thinking that this will be fixed in an upcoming patch. Because like you, I am not looking forward to breaking my 40 year protectorate deal with Hanover.

Granted, they didnt help in any of my wars for German Re-Unification and all they did was sit in their territory with 2 full stacks of troops even when I was fighting Westphallia right next door. Even with me funneling cash to them.

What ever happened to the Attack Faction choice in the diplomacy screen? 99% of the time the AI would either reject the proposal, or they would accept it for a boatload of cash and then never attack your enemy. But it was nice to have and I had hoped that with the updated diplomacy for ETW that it just might work this time. Oh well.

BTW, welcome to the .Org LuxIrae
    Last edited by Phog_of_War; 04-19-2009 at 00:29. Reason: kaus I kant sepll toady
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Thanks Phog. While on the subject of missing diplomacy... what happened to the demand they make peace... annoying that your allies continue to squabble amongst themselves when there are papists to squash. (moved on to playing Netherlands after evil crushing of Chechnya resulted in victory for Russia)

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

The protectorate option doesn't show up immediately you have to check the peace treaty, then the protectorate option comes up
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war