Thread: I need some info about Insubres and others (Celtic invasion of Italy)

Default I need some info about Insubres and others (Celtic invasion of Italy)

Hi please I need help. I am writing for my school a piece about Celtic invasion of Italy of 400 BC.

First of all I need to assure that it was done by several waves of various tribes migrating there independently right around the same time?. (like -Senones,Cenomani, Boii, Lingones) It was not cooperated and organized effort of these tirbes, is that correct?

And also I have problem with chronology of these migrations as my sources varies greatly on that.

Previously I thought that first Celts who migrated there were the Insubres (some time around 600 BC) but then I found other sources which put their migration more or les into same time period as that of those other tribes (around 400 BC), I have found some sources which clearly states that Insubres defeated Etruscans, conquered Melpum on them in 396, renamed it to Mediolanum and settled there. And as I said previously I thought that they lived in Mediolanum much earlier so I am confused.

Then I thought that it were the Cenomani lead by Elitovius some time around 400 BC pushing Etruscans out of Po Valley, taking Mantova and Brixia from Etruscans and founding there Bergamum.

Followed by Boii, who took Felsina and renamed it to Bononia, and then Sennones under Brennos and Lingoens sacking Rome then withdrawing and finally settling on the lands of Umbrians in east coast of Italy?

I would really appreciate if someone could give me advise about this. Thanks.

Default Re: I need some info about Insubres and others (Celtic invasion of Italy)

I think that if you can get a hold of The Celts A History by Daithi O hOgain, most of your questions will be answered . Its well put together, an easy to follow and understand

http://books.google.com/books?id=-yd...elts+A+History

Default Re: I need some info about Insubres and others (Celtic invasion of Italy)

Thanks a lot - there are some chapters (in fact lots of pages) from that book in that link from you - So I will use it.
    Last edited by Bactron; 04-23-2009 at 09:42.