Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EB Unit List Reloaded

Only-Custom-Made-Avatar-User Member SirRethcir's Avatar

Thumbs up EB Unit List Reloaded

Hello EB-Team!

I have recoded the EB Unit List.
    It is now up-to-date and hopefully not worse than before. ;)
    However the maps are not updated and I haven't touched "Unit Compare".

EB Unit List Reloaded

new Features:
    • up to date data (EB 1.2)
    • Unicode support
    • improved layout and graphics
    • "Reset" now resets all search filters
    • search string is no longer case sensitive
    • improved compatibility
      tested with:
      • Internet Explorer 6
      • Internet Explorer 7
      • Firefox 2
      • Firefox 3 (3.0.8)

EB 1.2 Unit List Reloaded (v1.2) can be downloaded [EDIT: link taken down: it did not point to the unit list any more].

The Online-Version can be found on http://europabarbarorum.heimstatt.net/ .

Next will be an online version without JavaScript. (*DONE*) After that "Unit Compare" will be revamped.
    Last edited by Ludens; 09-21-2009 at 20:17. Reason: Download link removed

Kaiser of Blitz
    from Aemilius Paulus for EB Unit List Reloaded
    from soup_alex for EB Unit List Reloaded

Default Re: EB Unit List Reloaded

awesome... gonna download it right away
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Excellent job!!! Many thanks for doing this.
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

Blog Entries

Excellent!!!
    Finally the search funktion really works

i should download this directly in the eb folder or where?? It won't mess up anything will it?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Oh, man.

Balloon for you, good sir!
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

I can see the preview, AND IT IS GREAT!!!
    My ***** Internet explorer was preventing me from use this awesome help. Nothing I can do, company computer...
    Last edited by Fabio Scevola; 04-23-2009 at 22:13.

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Excellent! Downloading it right away Kudos to you, sir.

@ Elcmar: Dude, you're one of us Nice signature quote, there

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 04-23-2009 at 18:55.
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    @ Elcmar: Dude, you're one of us Nice signature quote, there

Maion
    Yeah, thought it was pretty good alright - gotta keep those barbaroi divided

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Wow! You are a hero SirRethcir!

Fantastic work Someone should stick this thread.
    Last edited by Lovejoy; 04-23-2009 at 20:54.

Nice!

Bugs: right click event does not work in Opera (10, but I am fairly `confident' this issue will exist in 9.4 as well). That may be Opera doing JavaScript differently, but still. Glitch: the tool tip is not very well readable on the leathery background (black text on dark background).
    Firefox 3.0.9 fares a lot worse: the page is not centered meaning that the left-hand ornaments are obscured, and you get a vast stretch of background texture on the right. Image does not float properly either, it is displayed as a block element. Oh and the tool tips are dislocated: the offsets caculated end up a significant negative value (which makes some small tool tips end up like 50px above the cursor).

On Konqueror 4.2.2 you will not get any JavaScript at all and therefore no unit list at all.

I would suggest using a keystroke (much more easily implemented across different browsers) or custom image-button instead. Plus it is not a very nice behaviour to steal the context menu. For instance, if I want to investigate whether or not certain CSS tricks would fix the layout in Firefox 3.0.9 I must first disable the JavaScript, make my edits, and then somehow `fully' re-enable the JavaScript without having the reload the page... Copying/Pasting text will of course not be impossible, but not everyone uses the Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V keystrokes either.

And yes, I suppose many of these bugs exist in the old version as well.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-23-2009 at 23:55.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Bugs: right click event does not work in Opera (10, but I am fairly `confident' this issue will exist in 9.4 as well). That may be Opera doing JavaScript differently, but still.
    [..]
    On Konqueror 4.2.2 you will not get any JavaScript at all and therefore no unit list at all.
    Well, there is enough grief in doing this for the two big players (IE, Firefox), so let's say this Application requires one of these two browsers.
    Plus it is not a very nice behaviour to steal the context menu.
    If it were a website, I would agree. But as said above, I see the "Unit List" as an application.
    An application - as any other software too - needs certain requirements. In this case you need IE (> 6 ?) or Firefox (> 2 ?) and JavaScript activated.

Glitch: the tool tip is not very well readable on the leathery background (black text on dark background).
    Hm, the same case in the unit list itself. ;) But of course one can change it.

Firefox 3.0.9 fares a lot worse: the page is not centered meaning that the left-hand ornaments are obscured, and you get a vast stretch of background texture on the right. Image does not float properly either, it is displayed as a block element. Oh and the tool tips are dislocated: the offsets caculated end up a significant negative value (which makes some small tool tips end up like 50px above the cursor).
    I have tested it now with Firefox 3.0.8 and no problem here.
    Are you sure, you haven't malconfigured your browser?
    Or did you modify one of the files? If you don't save them with the right encoding Firefox don't read them properly.

@all
    Thanks for your very positive feedback. It's the payment for all the work.
    Thank you!

PS: "Unit Compare" will be redone too. I have some nice ideas for it. But it will take a while and I have to do some other things before.

Kaiser of Blitz

Excellent hard work

Quote Originally Posted by SirRethcir View Post
    Well, there is enough grief in doing this for the two big players (IE, Firefox), so let's say this Application requires one of these two browsers.
    The original was intended to work on Opera as well. (I beta tested an early version.)

If it were a website, I would agree. But as said above, I see the "Unit List" as an application.
    An application - as any other software too - needs certain requirements. In this case you need IE (> 6 ?) or Firefox (> 2 ?) and JavaScript activated.

I have tested it now with Firefox 3.0.8 and no problem here.
    Are you sure, you haven't malconfigured your browser?
    Or did you modify one of the files? If you don't save them with the right encoding Firefox don't read them properly.
    I am quite sure. Litterally out of the box (a Kubuntu/Ubuntu 9.04, machine with Firefox 3.0.9 straight fresh from the repositories), and I do not normally use it so I have not bothered with preferences. (I keep it around for the occasional broken website/plugin.) I did not save anything at all, but used the test page you so kindly provided instead.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Default Update

A little Update:
    Here is the update package which contains only the new or changed files.
    The new Version can be found in the first post.
    Adds:
    - 3 missing unit pictures
    - darker tooltip text
    - changed "center function"

The original was intended to work on Opera as well.
    Well, it doesn't work properly under IE.
    Numbers from the statistics - User Agents (top 15)
    25% IE (added together)
    24% Firefox (added together)
    1.6% Opera

I am quite sure. Litterally out of the box (a Kubuntu/Ubuntu 9.04, machine with Firefox 3.0.9 straight fresh from the repositories), and I do not normally use it so I have not bothered with preferences.
    Perhaps Linux Firefox 3.0.9 != Windows Firefox 3.0.9 ?
    As long as you are the only one I can do nothing about it.

Kaiser of Blitz

Default Re: Update

Actually, I've been reading the online version periodically from my girlfriend's laptop (Vista, firefox .8, apparently) and some (but not all, strangely) of the unit cards are left-aligned while the rest are correctly centred. I didn't seem to have any problem viewing on my own machine (XP, and a slightly older version of firefox), but without going back and checking I can't be sure this isn't because I'd only previously been viewing those unit cards that were properly aligned (I doubt it, though it is still strange that some pages are centred and others not).

Other than that and the few missing unit cards, I don't think I can report any other problems but a few minor spelling errors; even they're hardly worth mentioning.
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: EB Unit List Reloaded

I love the new Unit Documentation, and my eternal gratitude to you, as I am tired of going to EDU all the time when I know that such tool as unit compare exists. Yet another balloon for you:

However, I do have one complaint. The window containing all the info and pictures is too small, or at least on my Firefox. Please make it larger, at least the size of the original unit compare.

Default Re: Update

Here's a screenshot: https://img522.imageshack.us/content...napshottfq.png Incidentally while re-creating the problem (with the tooltips) I described earlier, I found out that it (now) depends on the position of my scrollbars wheter they are displayed correctly or not. This can either be a Firefox bug, or a problem with how the off sets are calculated.

For a reference, I uploaded the preview page to browsershots.org:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.h...rorum/unitList
    - Tellos Athenaios

Ok, this is how it should look like:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    However, I do have one complaint. The window containing all the info and pictures is too small, or at least on my Firefox. Please make it larger, at least the size of the original unit compare.
    The display size depends on your font size. In Firefox you can easily change the font size with
    Code:
    Ctrl+ +
    Code:
    Ctrl+ -
    Code:
    Ctrl+ 0
    Here's a screenshot: https://img522.imageshack.us/content...napshottfq.png Incidentally while re-creating the problem (with the tooltips) I described earlier, I found out that it (now) depends on the position of my scrollbars wheter they are displayed correctly or not. This can either be a Firefox bug, or a problem with how the off sets are calculated.
    Ok, the tooltip thing is my bad.
    In your picture the "unit info pic" is above all the other text, actually it should be on the left side (style: float:left).
    That's why you have allways scrollbars, and the 'tooltip bug' occurs almost permanent.

Well, perhaps, I must rethink the positioning issue.

Thanks for your help!

Kaiser of Blitz

Arrow Re: EB Unit List Reloaded

The display size depends on your font size. In Firefox you can easily change the font size with
    Code:
    Ctrl+ +
    Code:
    Ctrl+ -
    Code:
    Ctrl+ 0
    Oh, c'mon. I know that stuff. If I wanted to change the font size I would have used that short-cut or go to "View" and select "Zoom". But that is not what I am talking about.

Take a look at your unit list and the original one. The original one has a window that extends through the entire length of the screen. It is a rectangle, standing vertically. Your window is a square. It cannot accommodate nearly as many lines of units.

It is not very comfortable to use. Just like browsing Internet with a cellular phone. Increasing the font size does nothing to alleviate this. I want more info on the screen, not larger, easier-to-read info.

I hope you understand what I am talking about. If not, I can provide screenshots, but honestly, I do not see how one cannot see the difference after viewing the two versions. Not to mention, I do not know where the screenshot folder for the non-game screenies is.

Exclamation Re: EB Unit List Reloaded

Oh, and did I mention that the new Unit List does not feature the Recruitment Map for each unit? That would be yet another nice addition.

Take a look at your unit list and the original one. The original one has a window that extends through the entire length of the screen. It is a rectangle, standing vertically. Your window is a square. It cannot accommodate nearly as many lines of units.
    [..]
    I want more info on the screen, not larger, easier-to-read info.
    I don't know what you talking about.
    With the new Version you get all information at a glance. The only thing you must scroll is the description. It's the same in the old one.
    So, as I understand, you really want to read the description "full screen". Well that's debatable - I'll think about it.

EDIT: Ah, you mean the list itself. Hm - I'll think about it.
    By the way: "The original one has a window that extends through the entire length of the screen."
    This is not quite true. It has a hardcoded height, so with a low screen resolution you either have to scroll twice or just use the space you can see without scrolling. ;)
    The best way should be to automatically expand the box up to the browser bottom.

Oh, and did I mention that the new Unit List does not feature the Recruitment Map for each unit? That would be yet another nice addition..
    I didn't include them because they are not up-to-date.
    Last edited by SirRethcir; 04-27-2009 at 12:01.

Kaiser of Blitz

Update and Bugfix:
    Here is the update package which contains only the new or changed files.
    The new Version can be found in the first post.

Adds:
    - "Units List" expand in height according to browser dimensions
    - though "Units List" has a minimal extent
    Bugfix:
    - tooltip now works as intended
    - the unit image is now placed correctly inside the unit sheet

Kaiser of Blitz

Update:
    I've added the maps, though I haven't updated them and some are missing.
    See the first post for more!

Kaiser of Blitz

This looks really neat-

I know I'm REALLY going to sound stupid to all of you guys, but surely some lurkers are thinking the same- how do I use this? I've got it downloaded, not sure what to do with it or how to view it afterward...
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

You unzip the downloaded .zip file in some directory, then double click the unitList.html file ... next time just double click the .html file...
    - Tellos Athenaios

Thumbs up Re: EB Unit List Reloaded

thank you very mucho!
    Yet Brutus says he was ambitious, and Brutus is an honorable man

Looks promising, downloading it now .

And maybe you should put a installation guide in the opening post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast