Thread: Unpacker Problem

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Default Unpacker Problem

Hey guys, I've been out for a while, but been trying my hand at modding M2TW. I just installed it, updated it to 1.1, and am now trying to use the unpacker. But for some reason it runs for about 2/3 of the way through and then quits. I was capable of catching a glimpse of the error before it automatically closes, something about a "missing file". Anyone know a fix for me or maybe an alternative to modding the game?

I just want to make up some traits. Anyway I can do the mod folder, have someone send me a couple vanilla files, and that work?

Thanks for any help gentlemen.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Default Re: Unpacker Problem

I can tell there's not a whole lot of activity here anymore, but for any old modding geniuses out there, here's a question. I was able to unpack this files, but the file export_VnVs is a strings.bin file while I can only edit .txt files. Before I played this game on Windows XP, the .txt. files showed up immediately. But now that I am using Vista, that's not happening.

Anyone have a fix for this? I want to add some traits of my own, but can't because of that specific file. I tried using Alpaca's strings.bin converter, but it didn't work for me. Any ideas?

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: Unpacker Problem

As you said it worked on XP before, presumably you mean you're now on vista? If so I assume problem is to do with it trying to protect what it sees as 'program files'. Look for info about modding when using vista - I think you need to turn UAC off and/or not install the game under the program files directory.

You could try copying the bin files and alpaca's converter to somewhere outside the program files folder and see if it will work there.

If not there were some of the .txt versions of the files released here
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73971
    but they must have been for an early version judging by date. Can try and find you a v1.5 VnV's file if that's what you're on. (normally you're not meant to send any unmodified game files - but I assume as the earlier version of them was officially released it would be OK in that instance ? )
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the: