Poll: Which of these factions are worthy of EBII?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Default AW: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Here are some interesting links about Israels History. Viking_Wårlord, I think you will notice, that what the others had already said is true, there was no Kingdom of Israel or something like that, after they had been defeated by the Babylonians. Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts%20Ab...ael-%20History
    http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts%20Ab...econd%20Temple

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: What suggested faction should be in EBII

How many games have you seen representing the Sabaeans? I think EB was the first to do it. How many games have you played which featured the lusotanann? And there are more of these examples. But what does that matter? The Judeans weren't independant until about 160 BC, most people don't even play that far. Their military wasn't much to look at at first either (this would change and would make them another hellenistic like faction). They never played a major role when it comes to international conflicts or politics. Economically they weren't anything special either. They were nothing more but yet another funny but mostly unkown people who simply had a rather distinctive religion.

I do not think there wouldn't be enough sources. Josephus tells alot and archeologcial findings like in Masada tells us quite a bit on their military. The rest doesn't seem to be a problem either. Except the justification, as it has almost no decent arguments pro yet many contra.

Like everybode else said, a judean faction just isn't justified against some other factions, or even most factions. Just script it that if you pillage the temple the population go nuts?

I voted Massilia, Bosphoran Kingdom, Syrakousai, Boii and Colchis. And Cimbri.

My votes were to:
    Bosphoran Kingdom, Syrakousai, Boii, Belgae, Celtiberian faction( not as a culture/subculture faction but tribe or group of tribes of celtiberian culture), Numidia (already previewed) and The Maruyan Satrapy.
    Same reason other people had said for all except the Indian Faction.
    Maybe no so strong case about culture slot issue and representation of the Maruyan kingdom (no space to the right) but maybe the satrapy colud be treated as a semi-independent region (if it was the case historically, don't know to much about that part of the map in that age) and if destroyed or in bad shape a reinforce/imperial Maruyan army could come in recapture/help mision or missions, just think this aproach in more acurate than the actual implementation in EB1.
    Last edited by Fabio Scevola; 06-01-2009 at 17:04.

I predict a Baltic faction to be found in EB2. Somehow it makes sense to me. In EB1.2 there are already some Baltic units, while a Baltic faction could keep Sweboz in check. They would make both the Sweboz and perhaps in a later stage even the Sauromatae a much bigger challenge. Right now, I feel the Sweboz sitting in the midst of rebel territory and not being attacked by other factions for the first 20-30 years is quite unrealistic.
    from plutoboyz

Since I love Punic wars, I voted for Syracuse (the must have one for greeks, Epirotes and Punic wars) e and Numidia (the second already confirmed by EB team - though I would vote fo a second one), The Celtiberians and some other Iberian faction. Kyrene would be a good call too.
    From the markets of Lilibeo to the Sacred Band in the halls of Astarte, from those halls to the Senate of Safot Softin BiKarthadast as Lilibeo representative

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1984 View Post
    I predict a Baltic faction to be found in EB2. Somehow it makes sense to me. In EB1.2 there are already some Baltic units, while a Baltic faction could keep Sweboz in check. They would make both the Sweboz and perhaps in a later stage even the Sauromatae a much bigger challenge. Right now, I feel the Sweboz sitting in the midst of rebel territory and not being attacked by other factions for the first 20-30 years is quite unrealistic.
    Agreed.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Quote Originally Posted by Leão magno View Post
    Since I love Punic wars, I voted for Syracuse (the must have one for greeks, Epirotes and Punic wars) e and Numidia (the second already confirmed by EB team - though I would vote fo a second one), The Celtiberians and some other Iberian faction. Kyrene would be a good call too.
    Well if someone were to make Punic Wars mod you would see a lot of fascinating factions. On top of the Massylians in Africa you would see the Massaesylians, the Maures, and the Garamantines. In Sicily there would be Syracuse and the Mammertines. In Northern Spain and Southern France there would be Massalia with its colony of Emporion. Not to mention all of the Iberian factions.

Another spanish faction would be good, lustaonna seems to spread like wild fire as the campaign proceeds in EB1
    From Olaf the Great

"Fight for your country -- that is the best, the only omen! ..." - Hector

I really hope so, that area is screaming for a faction because of its emptyness. The only problem is that we don't know alot about them since no one wrote down their history and big battle which happned. Though they would make for a nice and unique faction with enough chances. So yes to a Baltic one!

I voted for all of them because under ideal conditions each should have their own place, no matter how small and insignificant they may seem.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Just wonder... what's trapodos?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    Just wonder... what's trapodos?
    Google gives nothing to my unrefined searches. Trapezus perhaps?
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

That's more or less where Pontos sits already, or will sit in rather short order anyway, though ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I think it was supposed to be Trapezous. Kind of a odd inclusion, it certainly wouldn't be on my list of possible factions.

While the gameplay arguments for a Baltic faction are good, it's highly unlikely because there is almost no historical evidence for that area during this time period. The Boii are a more likely choice for balancing the Sweboz.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

The Bosporian Kingdom. I've "played" them in EB1 by migrating the KH to Pantikapaion in year 1 using console codes and bribery whilst abandoning their starting provinces. They were a hell of a lot of fun.

The hoplites and (horse) archers military was refreshingly different from the other miltaries. Their position and mix of enemies is also interesting -- you can end up fighting Sauromata, Getae, Hai, Sweboz, and Pontos/Seleucia if you cross the water.

For people who want to play EB2, rather than <grin>pontificating on the forums</grin> about map balancing or historical importance, this should be a really good faction.

Fight like a meatgrinder

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

WHERE ARE THE BATAVIANS I WANT TO REPRESENT HOLLAND!!!

Now for the controlled part

I voted:

1. Marcomanni - can fill the power vacuüm in central Europe and another independent tribe.

2. Bosphoran Kingdom - Great culture mix and starting position.

3. Syrakousai - Quite an important city, challenging starting position, posessed Archimedes.

4. Nubia - I always loved Nile campaigns, sadly the numerous Ptoly fullstacks made me change my mind, perhaps this help me to like it again.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    4. Nubia - I always loved Nile campaigns, sadly the numerous Ptoly fullstacks made me change my mind, perhaps this help me to like it again.

~Fluvius

Poor Saba needs another faction to beat on it?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Poor Saba needs another faction to beat on it?
    Actually Saba don't do so badly at all. They usually conquer and hold on to the whole of Arabia. Which is much more than they did historically. And sometimes they can even hold on to a couple big cities like damascus or Antioch.

So if I am following the updates correctly there is 10 slots, with 2 filled by Pergi and the Numidians.

Now there was a hint about a Nomad faction which I am assuming is Numidia and was there a hint of another occultis Hellenistic faction? So we have 8 slots left, one of which is probably another Greek faction (and I'd put the Acropolis on it being Syracuse).

My guess would be we'll see some more holes filled, eg the Mittel Europa gap (1 or 2) the steppe vacuum (1), and maybe some balancing in Spain (1 or 2). Remember this is Europa Barbarorum.

Round out with a Caucasian/iranian crossover in Iberia or Atropatene and we have one slot left for my beloved Mauryan satraps with their lovely elephant generals (and culture limit problems solved..somehow..please).

... the numerous Ptoly fullstacks ...
    That would be an awesome alt-rock band.

Alternately an EB period NBA franchise based in Alexandria, to go up against the Seleucea Grey Deaths and the Arretium Spammed Triarii.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Don't know if another hellenistic/greek faction has been hinted at, all we've got is a occultus Thureophoroi skin but that doesn't mean squat as everyone can recruit them.

ps Moros whats up with the weird green sig, have you finally tired of tormenting us with the "occultus" madness?

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I suspect that the second Occultus Greek unit set belongs to a hellenic bosphoran kingdom or something.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ps Moros whats up with the weird green sig, have you finally tired of tormenting us with the "occultus" madness?
    Maybe it is a subliminal message, he shows the occultus faction disguised as green parthians... so either the occultus faction are Yuehzi (who where green in EB I) or i´m seeing things

EB members are really unpredictable indeeed, you never know to what they´re up to

No. When time comes torment will probably resume as usual. I think the meaning of the new signature becomes fairly obvious when you look at the recent events in Iran.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Never!

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    No. When time comes torment will probably resume as usual. I think the meaning of the new signature becomes fairly obvious when you look at the recent events in Iran.
    Ah, I wondered myself...

Really sad that the Iranians have to live under such an idiotic system. But anyway, no politics in this thread, but green looks better than pink anyway...

Can't say much for the system in my country right now but it doesn't really compare. Here they just steal money not votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Never!
    Thats the spirit!

WHERE ARE THE BATAVIANS I WANT TO REPRESENT HOLLAND!!!
    Hell yeah! Though the best representation right now is the Chatii, since we Dutch are for the biggest part Frankish people they fit the bill best (even with Batavians in probably).

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

bah! I don't care about the a3ajim, I just want more homies*.

*arabianz!!
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast