Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Mamla'ha biMassylim

Default Re: Preview: Mamla'ha biMassylim

Looks great, and should add a lot of flavour to north Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanit View Post
    The intent is to recreate the early infantry which was inspired by the swords and oval shields used in Africa. The more scutum looking thureos shield is inspired by Carthage at this time, not only with its own use of the shield type, but also with the use of the shield type by foreign mercenaries such as Celts.
    If these are early infantry, why do their shields have round bosses which only appeared around the 2nd c. BC? I would think that the thureos would have been the primary shield in use at this time, given its popularity among the Carthaginians.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

AWESOMEZ!!

a numidian faction-I was dreaming of just such a thing!
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-29-2009 at 05:36.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

A very good decision for this faction and wonderful work for the settlements and units. It's fantastic again to see how you use the M2TW engine (so much better than vanilla) for small but important differences in unit appearance. That variety adds so much flavour.

But one remark: I find the models of the skirmishers rather, äh, beefy ("fat" was the first thought when I saw them, sorry). The model of the melee infantry unit seems to be leaner and better looking.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Ooooh I really like the nomadic system/castle use. Does this mean that if an AI Carthage takes over a nomad camp, they would automatically turn it into a permanent settlement?

And I really like the history of this faction. They seem like the underdogs fighting against big bad Carthage... and I love playing underdog factions! Now there's some competition as to which faction will be in my first AAR...

Thanks EB team!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    A very good decision for this faction and wonderful work for the settlements and units. It's fantastic again to see how you use the M2TW engine (so much better than vanilla) for small but important differences in unit appearance. That variety adds so much flavour.

But one remark: I find the models of the skirmishers rather, äh, beefy ("fat" was the first thought when I saw them, sorry). The model of the melee infantry unit seems to be leaner and better looking.
    well, perhaps they are beefy looking, but then again, almost all M2TW models come out that way-lord knows why..probably the posture.

from Bruenswick-lueneburg?
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-29-2009 at 08:25.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Excellent work!!!

Besides other beautifu stuff it seems that the transformation from nomadic to settled lifestyle (which I loved in EB1 Pahlava) will get much more depth and breadth with your new castle/city system. I am looking forward to play it very much!

And kudos to your modellers/skinners for their work on bodies and faces. Subjectively, I found M2TW graphics actually much worse than RTW-EB one, because of the (mostly) ugly faces and I was worried how EBII will eventually come out. I am worried no more now! Thanks!!!

YES!!! Numidia gets its rightful place :-D
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    All our models use the same base-model. This ensures that our men are all of the same proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by BerkeleyBoi View Post
    Ooooh I really like the nomadic system/castle use. Does this mean that if an AI Carthage takes over a nomad camp, they would automatically turn it into a permanent settlement?
    In fact, just the opposite. A settled faction will have a hard time holding onto a nomadic province, and vice versa.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Oh wonderful! I think this faction is a very good choice, b/c it focuses the whole Carthago setting a bit more to North Africa. Will be very interesting!

Good job EB team & best of luck for your project!

Subedei
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Actually that was a slight mis-communication, the hat will be there eventually.
    Thanks for the quick answer. After playing EB i can´t imagine numidian archers without their cool hats

Also, i am amazed at how realistic looking the units of EB II will look like, as it was a sort of history documental instead of a video game. I must put my numidian hat off
    Last edited by Bucefalo; 05-29-2009 at 12:58.

Great preview!

I wonder whether MTW allows to have several bodies, depending on the faction/unit? Imagine what giant, fat, rough Gauls, Massylians and other barbarian elite warriors would do to less 'bodybuilded' levies... Maybe the extra body mass and muscles could somehow represent age differentiations?
    Last edited by Andy1984; 05-29-2009 at 18:22.
    from plutoboyz

They call me Flavius Member Belisarius II's Avatar

This will make Sicily a whole lot easier for me to take! Does this mean the Romans/Carthaginians will be able to train more Numidian unit types if they built an allied gov't in Siga?

And what will their economy start out as? Will they have a stable econ at the start or more of Saba's case of ending up in debt on the 2nd turn?

And lastly, will they have any sorts of reforms? I guessing they'll have a Roman type reform.

Oh and great job!
    "Possunt quia posse videntur." - Virgil - "They can because they think they can."

So cool guys! This really is going to be worth waiting for!
    The History of the Getai AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79451
    Star Haven: A fantasy AAR using Deus lo Vult
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83098

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    I'm wondering though, looking at the date of Pergamon announcement. Will we get a faction announcement once a year? If thats the case we'll just have to wait 8 more years for EB2.
    As our model parts database gets filled with many reusable parts for the models, work progresses faster, although the wide scope of the project requires more modelers and skinners than those we currently have.

As a sidenote, I want to say that we will welcome any talented modeler or skinner that wishes to join us (but only if he/she really has time to spare for EBII).

Getting back to the answer, I can say that we're already working on the next previews (those who read EBTwitter can try to guess which), and they should be out very soon. So, stay tuned!

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Brilliant! A preview the day before I come back to the forums. This inspired me to start my first EB campaign in five months!
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Quote Originally Posted by MeinPanzer View Post
    Looks great, and should add a lot of flavour to north Africa.

If these are early infantry, why do their shields have round bosses which only appeared around the 2nd c. BC? I would think that the thureos would have been the primary shield in use at this time, given its popularity among the Carthaginians.
    That unit was originally supposed to be a later addition to the numidian army, however this was changed after the model was created. Eventually the design of the shields will change (and there will more oval shields present), but at the moment we've had to move on.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

I remember someone from the team (Moros IIRC) writing that there will be a new nomad faction in EB2 different from the current EB1 and that will be his favourite, now we know which.
    Great preview and looking forward to see their full unit rooster.

my balloons

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andronikos View Post
    I remember someone from the team (Moros IIRC) writing that there will be a new nomad faction in EB2 different from the current EB1 and that will be his favourite, now we know which.
    Great preview and looking forward to see their full unit rooster.
    I NEVER said there would be ONE new nomad faction now did I?

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I NEVER said there would be ONE new nomad faction now did I?
    So youre saying that you never said that There would be not just ONE ?

Run eddy Run !
    You revealed the Morosecrecyplanofowningourasses:)hahaha
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Wow, this is a great preview! Thanks to the EB team for their hard work.

And how do pronounce the native name of the Numidian noble cavalry? And would it be better to have the Saka use the Eastern culture instead of the Steppe culture? So when the Saka settle and take settled lands the settlement will look settled and their steppe lands will look nomadic?
    Last edited by lenin96; 05-30-2009 at 01:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

I love EB.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarAugustus
    I love EB.

Agreed.
    And this preview is starting to make me crazy.....

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Quote Originally Posted by lenin96 View Post
    Wow, this is a great preview! Thanks to the EB team for their hard work.

And how do pronounce the native name of the Numidian noble cavalry?
    To be honest, we have no idea. Hence why it is written in only consonants as most semitic languages were. Many 'Old Libyan' words have had their vowels figured out, but not this one. This may occur with some arabian units as well. Much of our language knowledge comes from inscriptions written in consonants only as opposed to more elaborate texts such as the Torah which include 'vowel pointing'.

Thumbs up Re: Preview: Mamla'ha biMassylim

Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 05-30-2009 at 09:12. Reason: YEAH I FUCKING LOVE EB ITS FUCKIN INSANE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lenin96 View Post
    And would it be better to have the Saka use the Eastern culture instead of the Steppe culture? So when the Saka settle and take settled lands the settlement will look settled and their steppe lands will look nomadic?
    If you read the preview carefully you will see that because of the castle/city dichotomy, each faction will have two different settlement models, the castle representing the nomadic settlements, the city representing the settled models. What is true for the semetic culture is also true for the steppe culture.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post
    As our model parts database gets filled with many reusable parts for the models, work progresses faster, although the wide scope of the project requires more modelers and skinners than those we currently have.

As a sidenote, I want to say that we will welcome any talented modeler or skinner that wishes to join us (but only if he/she really has time to spare for EBII).

Getting back to the answer, I can say that we're already working on the next previews (those who read EBTwitter can try to guess which), and they should be out very soon. So, stay tuned!
    Thats great news!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

To be honest, we have no idea. Hence why it is written in only consonants as most semitic languages were. Many 'Old Libyan' words have had their vowels figured out, but not this one. This may occur with some arabian units as well. Much of our language knowledge comes from inscriptions written in consonants only as opposed to more elaborate texts such as the Torah which include 'vowel pointing'.
    Indeed sabaic will have not that many vowels either. It's because the only true vowels ther wrote were their equilavent of the arabian aleph and ein.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Preview: Mamla'ha biMassylim

The intent is to recreate the early infantry which was inspired by the swords and oval shields used in Africa. The more scutum looking thureos shield is inspired by Carthage at this time, not only with its own use of the shield type, but also with the use of the shield type by foreign mercenaries such as Celts.
    I accept that both the scutum and the gladius, or equivalent short sword, could be present, it's just the combination that surprises me. I know it's not uniquely Roman, but in EB1 you generally saw the scutum combined with a spear (for example the Carthaginians had two basic scutum-and-spear units and one elite scutum-and-sword one). For basic Numidian infantry, the spear seems more likely to me, as it is cheaper and better against the cavalry that would be their primary enemy. Later, under Roman influence and training, they could have switched to the sword, but I doubt this was the case in 272 B.C.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I accept that both the scutum and the gladius, or equivalent short sword, could be present, it's just the combination that surprises me. I know it's not uniquely Roman, but in EB1 you generally saw the scutum combined with a spear (for example the Carthaginians had two basic scutum-and-spear units and one elite scutum-and-sword one). For basic Numidian infantry, the spear seems more likely to me, as it is cheaper and better against the cavalry that would be their primary enemy. Later, under Roman influence and training, they could have switched to the sword, but I doubt this was the case in 272 B.C.
    That is actually not a gladius present there, a gladius has a slight bulge in one portion of the sword. The straightsword present in the Numidian infantry is a shortsword version of the Taureg sword, a lasting influence of ancient Berber culture in North Africa today.

Wow, looks great. Just one thing, wouldn't they most likely have used an ancestor of one of the modern Berber languages spoken in Tunisia rather than Punic?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast