Thread: Zamora

Default Zamora

I may have missed it, but I can't seem to find any material on the land of Zamora.

Will their assassins and spies start out at higher skill than other kingdoms?

Related to that, will they have actual structures that increase their skill as the structure is advanced?

Will their characters be able to be more resistant to assassination and spying; perhaps by having "Retainers" that protect against such things?

Their military, will it truly be as poor as Conan surmised that it was?

Anything that can be shared about Zamora would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Zamora

Quote Originally Posted by Andrik View Post
    I may have missed it, but I can't seem to find any material on the land of Zamora.

Related to that, will they have actual structures that increase their skill as the structure is advanced?

Will their characters be able to be more resistant to assassination and spying; perhaps by having "Retainers" that protect against such things?

The Assassins and spies, it would stand to reason that Shadizar the Wicked (Hall of the Dead) and Arenjun "City of Thieves (Tower of the Elephant). The names say it all.
    Maybe it is possible that Zamora does a possible juggling-act between paying tribute and hiring merc's?
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Zamora hasn't had a preview yet, which is why there's relatively little material.

Most assuredly. Being a largely insular and ancient nation, Zamora relies more on subterfuge, sabotage and political bullying to protect itself. It does have a modest army, but it's the assassins and spies which will be their real power.

They will: there seems to be a sort of secret society of thieves shared by the Zamorians and the Shemites, characterised by their wearing of red silk (uch as Shevatas), and who also appear to be open to mercenary work (such thieves were hired to sneak Xaltotun's sarcophagus out of Stygia). These thieves are thus going to be represented by a guild called "The Sons of Bel", which will naturally offer bonuses to assassins and spies, and also come with a special unit. While all civilizations can build a basic Sons of Bel building, only Zamora and Pelishtia can build the more advanced buildings and eventual headquarters. Right now the Sons of Bel are largely uncentralised, but with the threat of Turan such eventualities might become vital to Zamora or Pelishtia's survival.

Most likely. With such a high focus on subterfuge, it's logical that the nobility of Zamora are more perceptive than those of other nations, and the despotic nature of Zamora means that the King has his guards on constant watch.

While the Zamorian military is in no shape to be conquering any neighbours (at least at the game's start), it's no pushover when it comes to defense. The nobility are degenerate and corrupt, but they are as violent as any other nation's chivalry, if twice as unreliable. The naturalized mercenary army of the King is composed of veteran soldiers of many nations, cultures an crimes, its comparatively small size offset by its determination. The people of Zamora can be fierce when backed against a corner, their lack of innate skill and terrible equipment balanced by their ferocity.

Overall, Zamorians are much more dangerous in defense: on neutral ground or attacking, they are not nearly as formidable. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, or defeat an army, or conquer a kingdom...

All I shall say for now is that Zamora has the potential to be very dangerous. With the right leader and careful planning, Zamora could take the Hyborian world completely by surprise, with neither the powerful military nor great wealth to make nations suspect. Everyone's already edgy about Turan, Stygia and the Picts: sometimes it's the quiet ones you have to look out for.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

I just hope they have some small talent with magic as well. The Temples of Zamora are full of magic and evil...and that is just the temples and not the lone wizards with their tall towers.

Keep up the good work! I just wish I knew enough about computers to be of more help other than encouragement.

I just hope they have some small talent with magic as well. The Temples of Zamora are full of magic and evil...and that is just the temples and not the lone wizards with their tall towers.
    Hence the potential to be very dangerous.

The Cult of Yezud (known as Zath in the pastiches) is second only to that of Set in overall nefariousness and devilry, and with the Sons of Bel the biggest deterrent against invasion by other countries. Their magic works very differently though: Set magic mostly works around warping reality and necromancy, whereas Yezud magic transforms and alters on the individual scale. Also, spiders.

Keep up the good work! I just wish I knew enough about computers to be of more help other than encouragement.
    Encouragement's great as it is, cheers!

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich View Post
    The Cult of Yezud (known as Zath in the pastiches) is second only to that of Set in overall nefariousness and devilry, and with the Sons of Bel the biggest deterrent against invasion by other countries. Their magic works very differently though: Set magic mostly works around warping reality and necromancy, whereas Yezud magic transforms and alters on the individual scale. Also, spiders.
    Are you thinking perhaps that you could have units of spiders???

Perhaps oh so very rare and VERY expensive to raise? But able to "Hide Anywhere" and have a very strong ability to "Frighten" all units? And if not all units, perhaps Cavalry (I'd say horses would be terrified of giant spiders!). Such a unit would have to be extremely rare though. It wouldn't be too hard to remodel them from the Wardog pack or something though...but I'm only guessing on that.

s are a great idea!

I'm not saying nothing.

Oh, alright: maybe. It depends on whether I can get them modeled/working. I've seen someone with a very convincing video of spiders for RTW, I presume the maker (might've been Bwian or KnightErrant) did some trickery with the bone meshes to mimic eight-legged movement.

Basically, a reading of "The Tower of the Elephant", "Rogues in the House" and "The People of the Black Circle" shows that Zamorians have a bit of a penchant for spiders. The Mongoose RPG has them as naturally-occurring creatures, but I am of the opinion that their origin is far more sinister.