Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Ugg the Violent Caveman: A Pre-Historic Murder Mystery [Concluded]

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Default Re: Ugg the Violent Caveman: A Pre-Historic Murder Mystery (IN PLAY)

People were too busy "lynching the next on the wagon" we lost because people didn't look very closely and used excuses like....."He is not speaking Cave-man talk, he is guilty"
    That kind of reasoning made it simple for sort-of lurkers, like Lord Winter and Yaropolk....

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by White_eyes:D View Post
    People were too busy "lynching the next on the wagon" we lost because people didn't look very closely and used excuses like....."He is not speaking Cave-man talk, he is guilty"
    That kind of reasoning made it simple for sort-of lurkers, like Lord Winter and Yaropolk....
    Also, the ghosts of people wanting a revenge make it easy for two Mafia to bandwagon that person and the others will just follow.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

hm... well game hasnt finished so i am still assuming that Beskar was one of the 2 people we needed to lynch if we survive this night, however much he denies it. now the next step it to see who everyone else thinks the next one is the other mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Night 8
    Ikka (Iksander 3.1) very worry about killas. Ikka hope that Beska was last of killas. But if not, Ikka have surprise for them! Fluffy hungry today. Fluffy eat big talkas if big talkas show faces!

“Grrr,” went Fluffy.
    “Good Fluffy,” replied, Ikka. Feeling safer, Ikka drifted off to sleep…
    ``````

Tak (taka) not worried about killas at all. His wolf keep him safe.

“Good Growly” said Tak.
    “Growwwllll,” replied Growly.

Tak drifted off to sleep…
    `````

Yaro (Yaropolk) no have wolf but Yaro feel safe anyways. Yaro litter ground with dry leaves. He hear killa coming if Killa come for him!

Yaro drifted off to sleep…
    ````
    Lawi (Lord Winter) couldn’t sleep. Lawi in charge of tribe. Lawi walk around almost empty cave, weapons in hand. While walking he happened upon the bodies of Yonda (Death is Yonder) and Beska (Beskar). Lawi think he have important news for tribe!
    ````

To be continued...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Part II will be up within the hour!
    Last edited by woad&fangs; 07-08-2009 at 04:10.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Finale
    The next morning…

Shaman Lawi (Lord Winter) wake tribe up early that morning. Lawi have big news for tribe!

“Yaro, Tak, Ikka! Lawi have big news!”

“It betta be big. Me want sleep sleep.” Grumbled Tak (taka).

“It is!” said Lawi, “no dead last night!”

“Hmmph,” say Ikka (Iksander 3.1), “We see that. Can we sleep sleep now?”

“But that not all!” say Lawi, “I looka at Beska and Yondo bodies. They had weapons when die! Yondo have spear and Beska have bow!”

This news did surprise the Neanderthals. Yaro, Ikka, and Tak went off to view the bodies. Meanwhile, Lawi stay behind with wolves.

“Well, well,” said Lawi, “Once I off you mangy mutts, it will be easy to kill the last two,” The wolves looked on dumbly as Lawi pulled out a stone axe and two slabs of mammoth steak. While the wolves were distracted by the mammoth flesh, Lawi used the stone axe to sever their spinal cords. Just as he finished with this, the others returned from viewing the bodies Lawi had planted weapons on.

“Lawi, Lawi!” shouted Tak, “You right! Beska and Yondo have weapons. We safe!”

“I’m afraid you are mistaken,” said Lawi, “First, my name is not Lawi. That is an idiotic Neanderthal name. My name is Wallace, the homo sapien. Second, I am afraid that you are not safe. In fact, you are about to die.”

“Ha,” laughed Ikka, “We outnumba you! We killa you, mista big talka!”

Yaro (Yaropolk) speak, “Sorry, but you are also wrong about that. You see, I have learned from Wallace that I am not a Neanderthal. I may have been raised by this tribe but apparently I am a homo sapien, and as such I will side with my fellow species.”

“That silly, Yaro!” say Ikka.

“My name, is Moses,” replied the caveman formerly known as Yaro.

Moses then brought out a small stone knife and stabbed Ikka in the heart. Tak tried to flee but Wallace threw the stone axe and hit the fleeing Tak square in the back.

The time of the Neanderthal had ended. The rise of Man had begun.
    `````
    Homo Sapien Victory!
    Congratulations Lord Winter, Sasaki Kojiro, and Yaropolk!

Roles:
    Shinseikhaan
    Cultured Drizzt Fan
    A Very Super Market-Ugg
    atheotes
    AskthePizzaGuy
    Captain Blackadder
    Iksander 3.1- wolf tamer
    Death is Yonder
    taka- wolf tamer
    White Eyes :D
    Tratorix- detective
    Sasaki Kojiro- Homo Sapien killer
    Chaotix
    Beskar
    pevergreen- wolf tamer
    Quintus J.C.
    Ichigo
    Yaropolk- role blocker “recruited” by homo sapiens
    YLC
    LittleGrizzly- detective
    SplitPersonality
    Lord Winter- Homo Sapien killer

Green= pro-town
    Orange= team Ugg
    Red= Homo Sapiens
    ````
    A proper writeup, including role PMs and night actions will be posted tomorrow evening.

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely

what was wolf tamers ability?

Our quicktopic:

http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/exjy4Z9mVj3J6

Good game all, it was a pleasure working with you Yaropolk.

Also was the ugg faction a second mafia family?
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 07-08-2009 at 05:04.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was right with Lord Winter.

Nevermind, congrats Lord Winter and Yarapolk. You did well, though Death Is Yonder and YLC made it easy for you to lynch me, especially with taka sore.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-08-2009 at 05:09.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The wolf tamers had a 50% chance of surviving a kill attempt.

Team Ugg was supposed to be a neutral faction but in hindsight I think I made it to easy for them to align with the town.

I'll answer more questions tomorrow along with the writeup. I'm really tired right now

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Zog demand recount! Zog say that Sapien man intimidate neanderthal voter. Zog say that ballot box was stuffed. Zog say that we hang Chad, did not mean to vote for Buchanan.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Sweet Victory!

I couldn't pay close attention to this game unfortunately. But it seems to have worked out just fine.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki in Quicktopic
    I would suggest offing tratorix and littlegrizzly.

OH YEAH....My guess was spot-on about Lord Winter and Yaroplok.... Town needs to really lynch the Semi-lurkers.....

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I'm an idiot. Yaropolk revealed to me that he was a role-blocker early on, and I didn't tell anyone.

Good game everybody.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by White_eyes:D View Post
    OH YEAH....My guess was spot-on about Lord Winter and Yaroplok.... Town needs to really lynch the Semi-lurkers.....
    In all fairness almost everyone was a semi lurker.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

GG Sasaki, Lord Winter, and Yaro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

I semi-lurked and it only got me mafia'd D:

good game, wish I could've been more into it, the caveman speak got a wee bit annoying though :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

GG, well done team mafia

it was a pretty good game and the theme was pretty funny at the start

but i can't believe they killed the wolves! :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

I will eat my hood, and humble pie.

Meh, Beskar was so odd though.

*sigh*, town was practically dead with the lack of one vote.

I'll hold my end of the bargain with Beskar.

Good Game mafia

You capitalized on the lack of discussion and got off easy bandwagons.
    I still hold that I thought that Yaro was very, very, suspicious.
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    I'm an idiot. Yaropolk revealed to me that he was a role-blocker early on, and I didn't tell anyone.

Good game everybody.

I revealed to you on N1, found my partners on N2, and spent the rest of the game plotting your death.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well done, men.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Vote: Sasaki
    Good game all, you humans are so smart...
    Strikeout!

i was one of those townies who did caveman speak but i was depending on the pro-town roles to aid us

The role PMs

The homo sapiens
    Role: Ludwig/Wallace

Team: Homo Sapiens

You and your fellow homo sapien, Ludwig/Wallace, were walking along one day when you happened upon the most charming little valley. Unfortunately for you two, it was already occupied by the Townee Neanderthal clan. Unfortunately for them, homo sapiens are the most intelligent creatures to ever walk the earth. There is no way you’re going to let such an amazing locale be inhabited by a bunch of stupid, hairy, big-browed Neanderthals.

Ability: You and your partner can kill 2 people per night.

Objective: Kill all Neanderthals

PS: feel free to give me suggestions about kill methods

Ugg
    Role: Ugg

Team: Ugg

Congratulations! You are the title character! You have a bit of an aggressive streak but deep down all you want is to be treated fairly. Unfortunately, with clan cohesion being of the upmost importance in the Paleolithic world, your violent tendencies have caused you to be a bit of an outcast. Your fellow clan members always use you as a scapegoat. Do you know how that makes you feel? ANGRY!!! VERY ANGRY!!! UGG SMASH!!! Luckily, you do have one friend in the tribe, Grog. With Shaman Woad dead, it’s up to you and Grog to clear your name… or kill everyone who blames you… UGG SMASH!!!!

Ability: You may kill one person each night if you wish. You also have a one time protection from night attacks.

Objective: You must survive to the end of the game. Also, you must kill everyone who votes for you at any point in the game or, alternatively, you can last 3 phases (1 night + 2 days or 2 nights + 1 day) without any lynches or murders.

Grog (The team Ugg detective)
    Role: Grog

Team: Ugg

You are Ugg’s best and only friend in the Townee tribe. You two were drawn together by your mutual love of clubbing, stabbing, slashing, pummeling, and all other forms of violent outbursts. However, unlike Ugg, You have channeled your violent tendencies into a constructive purpose. You are one of the greatest hunters in all of Neanderthaldom. Although you will never hurt another Neanderthal, you are willing to use your hunting skills to clear Ugg’s name.

Ability: You can send the name of one person to me every night. In the morning I will tell you the role of that person.

Objective: Kill everyone who votes for Ugg, or last 3 phases (1 night + 2 days or 2 nights + 1 day) without any lynches or murders. You’ll receive a minor victory if Ugg dies but the killers are eliminated.

Moa (the role blocker)
    Role: Moa

Team: Independent

You’ve lived your entire life among the Townee Clan but you have always felt… different. You are smaller in stature yet more proficient in tool making than any of your fellow tribe mates. Recently, two newcomers have arrived in the tribe. This is in itself is not unusual. The Townee Clan are successful hunters and foragers and it is common for outsiders to join from time to time. Still, these two seem different from the other Neanderthals, just like you.

Ability: You may block the night actions of one person each night. If you role block one of the two newcomers, their identities will be revealed to you.

Objective: Your objective has two steps. The first step is to locate one of the two newcomers. The second part of your objective is to help them achieve their objective.

Moses (The roleblocker after he finds the mafia)
    After the dem-unga-unga, you see Lawi (Lord Winter) slip through a narrow crevice to a small side cave. You follow him there. He seems surprised to see you and appears rather agitated. It looks like he is in a hurry to do something. He is about to leave but then he stops and takes a long look at you. You in turn, take a long look back at him. You both realize that you are different from the rest; less hair, smaller, and the arrow heads he carries look much like your own.

He breaks his gaze and turns to go back through the crevice, armed with a bow and arrow.

“Wait!” you whisper to him, “Tora follow me. He stuck in crevice. No can go that way. Me know other way out.” You point out another exit to him.

He whispers back, “We talk when sun rises. What your name?”

“Moa” you respond.

“Silly Neanderthal name,” he utters back, “You named Moses now.”

For first time, you have found someone like you.
    ``````
    Lord Winter is one of the outsiders. He is a homo sapien and so are you. You were orphaned as an infant and raised by one of the Neanderthal tribe. However, you feel much closer to this new comer than to any of your tribe mates.
    ````````
    New Role name: Moses
    New Team: homo sapiens
    Ability: Same as before, but if Lord Winter dies you gain the ability to kill 1 per night.
    New Objective: Kill all Neanderthals
    `````````
    PS: I was coming up with character names while you guys were discussing Moses. I was pleasantly surprised when random.org gave you the role of Moa/Moses

Ra-Ra (town detective)
    Role: Ra-Ra

Team: Neanderthal Tribe (town)

You are the favorite nephew of the late Shaman Woad. You also happen to be one of the best trackers in all of Neanderthaldom. This skill will come in handy as you attempt to uncover perpetrator(s) of his murder.

Ability: Ability: You can send the name of one person to me every night. In the morning I will tell you the role of that person.

Objective: Eliminate all threats to the Townee Clan.

The Wolf Tamers
    Role: Borf/Lorf/Rorf

Team: Neanderthal Tribe (town)

You are one of three Neanderthals in the tribe that have managed to tame a wolf. It hunts for you, comforts you, and protects you. In return, you feed it and give it shelter. This special bond between wolf and cave man may prove valuable in the days and nights ahead.

Ability: Possessing a tamed wolf gives you a 50% chance of surviving a night attack as long as you possess it. At any time you may give your tamed wolf to another player. That player then gains this ability and has complete control over whether to keep the tame wolf or give it to another player. Make sure you utilize your companion wisely.

Objective: Eliminate all threats to the Townee Clan.

Prologue- This game was my attempt at bringing the “Shaman” mechanic into the large game format. I’ve hosted 3 small games that used similar mechanics. The first two used a revolving detective rather than a revolving doctor. I was very pleased with the switch to a doctor power and I believe that the mechanic offers plenty of interesting stratagems as long as it is balanced properly. This will be touched on in the epilogue section.

The basic roles to this game were planned out several months ago and I made almost no changes to their powers and objectives from my original design. However, cancellations by the people ahead of me in the que meant that I had to work very fast to come up with the names and descriptions in role PMs and to generally flesh out the game. Unfortunately, it also led to me being inconsistent at times about how much of a hint about a person’s role I left in the writeups.

Team Homo Sapiens- The starting two were designed to be vanilla mafia. Two kills per night, regardless of how many are alive with the objective to destroy the town. In order to balance out the game, I gave them the possibility of “recruiting” a role blocker. I’m rather glad that Yaropolk got the role blocker, considering the name I picked out for him during the sign-up phase.

Team Ugg- I meant for them to be a truly neutral party. In hindsight, giving them the ability to achieve a “golden rule” style victory made them too pro-town. I figured that they would work to eliminate the mafia but that Ugg would rack up so many people voting for him that he would have to go on a killing spree against the town. However, few people voted for AVSM.

Team Townee- The town got two weapons all to its own this game. First, they got a vanilla detective. Secondly, they got the “wolf tamers”. It seemed rather redundant to me to give the town doctors so I decided to try something a bit different. The “wolf tamers” were meant to be speed bumps to slow down Ugg and the homo sapiens, rather then being super powerful in their own right. Unfortunately, they weren’t of much use to the town as pevergreen lost the coin flip and the other two were never attacked.

Anyways, on to the in-game events!

Night 1

The homo sapiens kill ATPG and pevergreen. Pevergreen loses the coin flip so he dies despite the protection of his wolf. Yaropolk blocks Iksander. Both detectives investigate Sasaki.

Night 2

The first night where the Shaman comes into play. The shamans were all picked by random.org. This time it chose AVSM. He chose to protect his ally, tratorix. This turns out to be a good move as Lord Winter selects tratorix and LittleGrizzly as his victims. Unfortunately for the town, Grizz had no one to protect him so the town loses its second power role in two nights. Grizz investigated tratorix but got no results on account of being dead. Yaropolk chooses to block Lord Winter but since Lord Winter is one of the homo sapiens, Yaropolk joins his side instead of blocking him. Tratorix investigated Yaropolk but since Yaropolk didn’t become a part of the mafia until the morning, tratorix got the result that Yaropolk was an independent role blocker. I’m still surprised that tratorix didn’t call for his lynching when the Shaman got role blocked a few nights later. This night was by far the most complicated.

Night 3

AVSM kills chaotix, the only person to vote for AVSM so far. Tratorix investigates Lord Winter but is killed so he gets no results. Still, its impressive that tratorix investigated 3 mafia in the first 3 nights. Cultured Drizzt fan was shaman. He was going to protect tratorix but got blocked by Yaropolk who was now working for the homo sapiens. AVSM was also attacked by the mafia, but survived because of his one time protection power.

Night 4

Yaropolk blocks Death is Yonder but DiY is a townie so nothing happens. Atheotes is Shaman and he protects AVSM but Lord Winter chooses YLC and Quintus.JC as his victims for tonight.

Night 5

Shaman Ichigo protects AVSM and Yaropolk blocks White Eyes :D. Lord Winter didn’t send in any kill orders so you guys got the smilodon poem instead. I probably should have clarified that when I said there would be more kills, I simply meant that there were still killers out there. However, I didn’t correct people when they thought the kills per night would escalate because I thought Ugg would start killing more.

Night 6

Yaropolk blocks AVSM. Lord Winter kills AVSM and Ichigo. AVSM was shaman but he didn’t send in any protection orders.

Night 7

In a bit of bad luck for the town, Lord Winter is made the Shaman. One of the aspects of the Shaman role that I think has yet to be explored is the ability of the mafia to attack and protect a person at the same time to try to “prove” their innocence. However, the mafia was in a dominant position at this point so Lord Winter protects taka instead of trying anything fancy. Lord Winter kills Splitpersonality and atheotes. Yaropolk blocks splitpersonality.

Night 8

Lord Winter and Yaropolk had already won at this point. This night phase was to give them a chance to give me their input on how they wanted the game to end.

Epilogue:

This was certainly an interesting experience. Keeping track of interactions between characters during Night 2 was much harder then I expected. I have immense respect for the people like Seamus and TinCow who give everyone a chance to perform a night action. It is truly amazing that they have remained sane.

I think the Shaman mechanic translates nicely to the large game format and I have come up with some ideas to make it better for whenever I decide to take another stab at hosting a large game. The role blocker turned out to be a very good balance to the shaman.

Many players blamed the low activity on a lack of knowledge about who the enemy was. The reason for this was that I wanted there to be some ambiguity over the alignment of Ugg but in the future I will place more importance on having some roles known from the start.

Thank you all for playing. Comments, suggestions, criticism, and questions are all welcomed.
    Last edited by woad&fangs; 07-09-2009 at 03:10.

I investigated three mafia in the first three nights, I'm calling that a personal victory.

GG to the mafia and thanks to W&F for hosting.

I would like to call this game "unbalanced".....but that would be a lie....

GG everyone (town needs to overhaul...)

Tratorix - you are never allowed to be detective again! Good game. Did you investigate me because I roleclaimed to AVSM or just on a hunch? I roleclaimed to AVSM once he was confirmed innocent but before I found my partners because I wanted to get someone in the town on my side.

And a big thank you to W&F for hosting!
    Last edited by Yaropolk; 07-09-2009 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk View Post
    Tratorix - you are never allowed to be detective again! Good game. Did you investigate me because I roleclaimed to AVSM or just on a hunch? I roleclaimed to AVSM once he was confirmed innocent but before I found my partners because I wanted to get someone in the town on my side.

And a big thank you to W&F for hosting!
    AVSM never told me you roleclaimed to him (bad AVSM ), I pretty much just investigated you on a hunch. I really should have thought more about the fact that you were shown as an independent though.

thanks for the game W&F. the premise and the roles were excellent. Only thing that was bad were the townies...

and good game to the mafia.
    Last edited by atheotes; 07-09-2009 at 18:55.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I was brain-dead for a while, I must apologize for being so.... bad.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213